Lybrate.com has top trusted Gynaecologists from across India. You will find Gynaecologists with more than 36 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Gynaecologists online in Delhi and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. Srishti Agarwal
Management of Abortion
Caesarean Section Procedure
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Termination Of Pregnancy Procedure
Treatment Of Pregnancy Problems
Well Woman Healthcheck
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Treatment Of Medical Diseases In Pregnancy
Treatment Of Menstrual Problems
Intra-Uterine Insemination (IUI) Treatment
Medical Termination Of Pregnancy (Mtp) Procedure
Gynecology Laparoscopy Procedures
Pap Smear Procedure
Submit a review for Dr. Srishti AgarwalYour feedback matters!
Sex, which gives pleasure to most, can be painful for some. Many women, mostly in their menopausal or post-menopausal phase find intercourse and penetration extremely painful. Menopause results in hormonal imbalance, with a significant drop in the estrogen level. The reduced estrogen level results in Vulvovaginal Atrophy (dryness of the vagina and thinning and weakening of the vaginal tissues). In such cases, women experience irritation, Vaginismus (vaginal tightness) and soreness after sex.
One can also experience a burning sensation during urination. There may be inflammation of the vaginal tissues. If untreated, the inflammation can cause infection and other complications. "Dyspareunia" or pain during intercourse is very common in postmenopausal women. The pain experienced during sex can be due to "Vulvodynia" as well. Vulvodynia is a condition whereby a women experiences chronic pain in the external genitals or vulva. A number of other factors can also contribute to the pain during sex. A thorough and detailed investigation is thus very important.
Treatment: Many women find it extremely embarrassing to discuss menopausal problems with their partners and doctors. The key to effective treatment lies in timely diagnosis and medication. There is nothing to be embarrassed about. The postmenopausal changes can vary from person to person. Thus it is very important to discuss every minute detail with your physician.
Many options are available to make intercourse a less painful experience:
- Keep dryness at bay: In most cases, painful intercourse results from dryness of the vagina. Use of a lubricant can ease the pain to a great extend. A water-based lubricant is highly recommendable. Regular use of vaginal moisturizers is also effective to deal with vaginal dryness.
- Vaginal care and hygiene: It is very important to keep the vagina clean. Avoid using soaps, bath oils and shower gels. They do more harm than good to the vagina. It is advisable to wash the vagina with warm to lukewarm water. Undergarments should be changed twice daily.
- More is good: Having sex at regular intervals is a healthy practice. It not only enhances and improves the blood flow, but also helps to overcome vaginal dryness.
- The Pelvic Floor Therapy: It is immensely beneficial. In this therapy, a gentle pressure is exerted in the pelvic region to relax the stiffened and tightened muscles. One can also massage the area to relax the muscles.
- Squat: It is a very effective exercise to strengthen the buttocks and hip muscles. Exercises to strengthen the pelvic floor muscles are also very helpful.
- Other therapies: One can also opt for Local Estrogen therapy and Systematic Estrogen Therapy.
Menopause should not affect your conjugal and sexual life. Visit here to know more and forget painful intercourse forever.
Related Tip: "Pain During Intercourse? Here Are The Causes"