Lybrate.com has a nexus of the most experienced ENT Specialists in India. You will find ENT Specialists with more than 29 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find ENT Specialists online in Delhi and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. Span Kr. Sarkar
Cysts Removal Procedure
Treatment of Tonsils (Tonsillitis)
Hearing Aid Fitting
Treatment of Throat and Voice Problems
Earlobe Repair Procedure
Treatment of Sleep Disturbance
Nose Reshaping Procedure
Hearing Testing Techniques
Nasal And Sinus Allergy Care
Cochlear Implant Procedure
Ear Micro Surgery
Treatment Of Hearing Deficiency
Facial Cosmetic Surgery
Submit a review for Dr. Span Kr. SarkarYour feedback matters!
Hi sir, My mother has sinus problem and she has pain in head since 8 years. Suggest me regarding this problem.
Ear wax is mainly natural oil secreted by the ears so that no dust particles or harmful microorganisms can enter the organ. But sometimes, discharge is noticed from the ear that can happen due to some reasons. The fluid can get discharged from the ear due to infection or can also happen due to rupture of the ear drum. Such discharge is also known as otorrhea if talked in medical term. Also, sometimes due to nostril congestion or even for some accident or trauma, such discharge may take place.
Symptoms noticed in ear discharge
Ear discharge can be anything such as wax or blood or any other fluid.
• The color of the discharge may range from white to yellow or even gray.
• Also at times, the discharge may have a foul smell if it is due to some bacterial infection.
• The discharge may get accompanied by ear pain, fever, and headache.
Both in kids and adults, this can lead to an extreme level of discomfort that may lead to failure in hearing at times.
Causes of ear discharge
There can be some causes for ear discharge to happen. Some of the causes are:
• Excess amount of wax in the ear,
• Rupture of the eardrum due to some injury,
• High noise pollution,
• Spending extra time in water,
• Infection caused by bacteria,
• Inflammation or damage to the Eustachian tubes,
• Infection due to inflammation of adenoids,
• Increased atmospheric pressure.
Treatments of ear discharge
If the discharge is due to excess amount of wax, then this problem can get cured after some time on cleaning. But if it is due to some other problems, then it needs treatment. In normal circumstances, if it is just the initial stage, then the doctor may suggest some antibiotics. Also, ear drops are suggested to treat the ear drum, or even a vinegar solution can be suggested.
But in the case of an extreme situation, when the problem has increased, surgery is the solution. The doctor inserts a tiny tube that connects the outer ear to the middle ear through the ear drum, and this process is known as bilateral myringotomy.
Prevention from ear discharge
Though now there are several ways to treat such problem, of course, prevention is always better than cure.
• Ear should not be cleaned with any pointed object,
• Scratching the ears with sharp object can also cause problems,
• Use muffs while traveling in place where atmospheric pressure may change,
• After swimming or even after a bath, you should carefully dry your ears,
• Smoking causes ear infection that leads to such complications,
Ear infection or ear discharge can thus get caused due to some reasons, and hence proper prevention can help in staying away from it. But in case if you suffer from such causes, it is necessary to visit the doctor without any further delays.