Lybrate.com has an excellent community of Pediatricians in India. You will find Pediatricians with more than 30 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Pediatricians online in Delhi and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. Sonia Mittal
Treatment of Child and Adolescent Problems
Thyroid Problems Treatment
Thyroid Disorder Treatment
Paediatric Critical Care
Treatment of Childhood Infections
Child Nutrition Management
Growth And Development Including General Paediatri
Management of New Born Care
Preimplantation Genetic Diagnosis (Pgd)
Congenital Ear Problem Treatment
Treatment of Polycystic Ovary Syndrome In Adolesce
Treatment of Thyroid Disease in Children
Cleft Lip Treatment
Submit a review for Dr. Sonia MittalYour feedback matters!
My 14 days (2 weeks) old son has bouts of several hiccups sometimes. What could be the reason? How to prevent it from recurring?
My son is one and half year old and I am thinking to give him a egg along with milk in his diet, is it safe?
My sister in law hair fall happens very frequently. She gave birth to a baby 3 months back. Pls suggest how she should stop her hair fall. Thank you in advance.
My girl child is one month old. She is having cough shortly after birth, 3-4 times a day, but not much. Is it normal or needed to be treated? please suggest.
After a common cold I had black mucus in my lungs, common cold was gone but the mucus remained it has been 5 months but I am still suffering from mucus I don't cough up but I have to hack the mucus out now my colour of mucus is light brown sometimes it chokes my throat Sir please help me.
A mother's prime focus always is how to ensure that her child is happy and comfortable, especially when the child is too small. One of the problems which bothers many mothers who are bringing up really small children, is diaper rash. Sensitive skin, tight diaper and prolonged contact with feces and urine etc are common reasons for diaper rash or irritant diaper dermatitis.
Here are few tips to avoid diaper rash and ensuring your child is always comfortable.
1. Careful with wash: if you are using a cloth diaper, be extra careful in washing such that there is no soap remaining in the cloth.
2. Clean well: when bathing your baby, make sure you clean the area covered by diaper with a mild soap and do not rub the area while drying, since the skin is sensitive.
3. Remove soiled diaper instantly: this is the most important. However busy you are, you need to aware of the times when the diaper/cloth has been soiled. And when soiled, the diaper has to be changed at the earliest. Do not keep your baby in the diaper for all hours of the day. It is good if they are out of the diaper for some time every day.
4. Keep the diaper loose. Also, ensure that you wash the cotton diapers with fabric softeners and try to avoid wipes altogether as they have strong chemicals in them.
5. Keep a tab on rashes: if your baby does get the rashes, check with the pediatrician at the earliest. Frequent topical applications of a bland protective barrier agent (zinc oxide paste) may suffice to prevent dermatitis. There are also chances of fungal infections. Antifungal creams should be used on advice of a doctor.
If you would like to consult with me privately, please click on consult.
My 6 year old son was in high fever and has also developed nausea symptom. He was diagnosed for Acute Tonsillitis by pediatrician and suggested for "clamp Kid forte Dry syrup (Amoxicillin (400 mg) Clavulanic acid (57 mg) )" and Imol (Paracetamol brufen tab). Antibiotic dose is 5 ml 2 times where as imol is as required. After taking 3 dose of antibiotic he started Diarrhoea which is mild in nature. Do we need to give him another medicine to control that.
A common scene" while you are shopping with your child, he stops in front of a shop and asks for an expensive toy. You try convincing him that he already has many. He refuses to listen, starts crying rolls over on the floor, you try to stop. You yell and shout at him but nothing seems to work. You finally buy the toy for him. Now he is happy!”
Are all kids stubborn?
Most kids are stubborn at times. This is considered normal in the first few years of life. However, if this behavior is persistent, then it calls for evaluation and introspection on part of the parents.
What problems can arise due to their stubborn behavior?
- A pervasive stubborn and adamant attitude in children can lead to the following:
- Increased anxiety and stress in the family
- Child may lag behind in academics
- Child can develop an understanding that through his behavior, he can get his way always
- Will have difficulty adjusting in school and with friends
- May develop a defiant and aggressive attitude
Is punishment an effective method?
Punishment works as a temporary method to stop stubborn behavior. However, it is not recommended always. First it is important for parents to understand reason for kids being stubborn.
What can parents do when child is in the midst of a tantrum?
When the child is in the midst of a tantrum, it is important that parents stay calm and composed. Time out, walking away from the situation, ignoring the child, till he gets out of it is the best solution.
What is a time out?
Time-out is a form of behavioural modification that involves temporarily separating a child from an environment where unacceptable behavior occurred. Time-outs may be on a chair, in a corner, bedroom, or any other location where there are no distractions, and reduced access to fun items, activities and people.
This procedure is preferable to other punishments such as reprimanding, yelling at or spanking the child for their misbehavior.
How much time can I give a time out for?
Time outs must be brief. A rule of thumb for time outs is" one minute per year of age, for example if your child is 5 yrs old, time out given maybe for 5 mins.
What is positive reinforcement?
Positive reinforcement is catching your child doing good and praising/ rewarding him for the same. It is an effective means to improve behavior in children. Set up a target for your child, give him stars on days when he meets set goals and at the end of the week, reward him with something that he wants. This is called behavioral charting and is very effective in kids.
Common parenting tips to be followed:
- Children learn by observing parents. Parents attitude and behavior influences child’s behavior in a major way
- Listen, don’t argue
- Stay calm
- Reinforce positive behavior. Catch your child doing any good and praise him for it. Let him know his good behavior is being noticed and appreciated, it will help to increase this behavior
- Ignore tantrums
- Understand your child’s behavior
- Do not give into his blackmailing
- Spend quality time with your children. Let them know you are available for them
- Be aware of your own emotions and actions
- Respect them
- Ensure your child is engaged and busy. Boredom many times can trigger tantrums
- As parents, understand the difference between needs and wants
Identify the antecedents to their stubborn behavior. Do not scold them or beat them, but be composed when you deal with them. Do not give in to their demands in the midst of a tantrum. Ignoring the tantrum is the best way out.
Most crucial aspect is to ensure that all members of the family agree on the same disciplining method. Convince all at home that being firm with the child when he throws tantrums is in the best interest of the child.
Disclaimer" the information is based on standard medical guidelines and is purely informative. Not to be used for treatment.”