Lybrate.com has top trusted Ophthalmologists from across India. You will find Ophthalmologists with more than 25 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Ophthalmologists online in Delhi and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Treatment of Squint
Lasik Surgery Treatment
Routine Eye Checkup
Laser Cataract Surgery
Reduced Vision Treatment
Visual Field Testing
Retina And Lasik Surgery
Endoscopic Dcr Procedure
Eye Muscle Surgeries
Artificial Eye Procedures
Submit a review for Dr. Soma Sengupta TalukdarYour feedback matters!
To improve vision from 6/12 to 6/9 or 6/6 without glasses, which would be better option lasik or homeopathy. Kindly suggest me because I need this as per my job medical requirement in 2 months.
Hlo sir, im having the problem of poor eye sight (distant view) and even after constant use of specs my eye sight is getting poorer. So please suggest me to how to improve my eye sight naturally.
An inflammation resulting in the formation of a thin layer inside the eyelids or the white part of the eyeball is known as pink eye or conjunctivitis. This condition turns the eye ball into pinkish color, hence the name. Based on the severity of the infection, either one or both eyes get affected.
What are the common symptoms?
- Medium to heavy swelling of the eye
- Eye crusting after sleep
- A burning sensation
- Irritation, itching or blurred vision
- Redness and increased sensitivity of the eye
Different kinds of conjunctivitis:
- Allergic Conjunctivitis: This is the type of conjunctivitis that results from eye irritants such as animal dander, dust particles and pollen. This is not infectious in nature. Treatment prescribed by ophthalmologist includes eye drops and non-steroidal medications. It is advised to keep the eye moist till it gets cured.
- Viral Conjunctivitis: As the name suggests, this kind of conjunctivitis is caused due to a viral attack. Sadly though, antibiotics don’t work and there is no particular medication for this type of conjunctivitis. Like common cold, viral conjunctivitis runs its course in a span of 1-2 weeks. Since virus is contagious, it is necessary to ensure that the microbes don’t spread. Some common prevention measures are listed below:
- Eye cosmetics should be abandoned till the conjunctivitis is cured
- Hands should be frequently cleaned
- Hand and eyes should not be in contact
- Frequent change of pillow covers, towels and clothes
- Swimming should be completely avoided
- Spectacles in place of lens should be used until advised otherwise by a medical practitioner
- Bacterial Conjunctivitis: This kind of conjunctivitis is caused by the streptococcal bacteria and has potential to cause real damage if proper medication is not taken on time. This is highly contagious. Prescription often includes antibiotic drop and ointments. The medication is prescribed for 2-3 weeks depending on the level of bacterial spread in the eye. It is very essential to complete the full course of medication to avoid recurrence. Prevention measures as stated above should be strictly followed.
- Chemical conjunctivitis: Eye irritants such as chlorine cause this conjunctivitis. Frequent swimmers often get affected by this type of eye infection. Topical steroids are prescribed to cure this kind of infection. Immediate medical attention is required to avoid lasting injury to the eye.
How to prevent pink eye?
While prevention is the best way to refrain from conjunctivitis, some basic hygiene checks are very important. Here is a list of must do’s:
- Do not share personal items such as combs, towels and toiletries.
- Stay away from a conjunctivitis infected patient
- Using of goggles while swimming
- Frequent usage of hand sanitizer and hand wash. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult an ophthalmologist.
I am 24 years old girl. Doing job in late night shifts till 2: 30 am. My eye side is weak, wear specs of -2 in left and -1.75 in right eye. Usually, have headache most of the time feels like haziness, headache remains even after sleeping.
Age of my wife is 38 years. Most of the time she is suffering from pain in forehead, eye brew and eye ball on left side. Also feels vomiting. Please cause for this.
Is it better to do cataract surgery on both eyes at once or we should take the time gap of months or days? Or is it ok if we do only one eye cataract surgery?
Puffiness is developing below my eyes and it is increasing day by day. I sleep around 61/2 hours every day and take 5-6 glass of water in a day. Facing stressful situations in my life. What could be the reason for this puffiness and how to cure it.
Sir/ mam, I am sumanth from coimbatore, I have done cornea translation before 2 months, now cornea is set, I have more 14 stitches vision I can read only 3 lines from the chart, can you explain how much time it will take to improve my vision.
I am a 47 year old woman and physically very active. However, I have recently developed eye pockets and want to know whether they can be removed?
You never tend to pay a lot of attention to your eyes unless they are affected by some serious disorder or unless your vision is disrupted. But did you know that your eyes are capable of doing much more than you can imagine? here are 10 surprising facts about your eyes you didn't know about.
1. How intricate!
Your eyes take more than 2 million working parts to function. No wonder your eyes are the second most complex organ of your body after your brain.
2. A lot depends on them
As much as 80% of your memories are determined by what you see. Also, 80% of what you learn is because of your eyes.
3. Retina and security
The iris of your eyes has approximately 256 unique characteristics, which is more than even your fingerprints. This is the reason why retina scans are used so widely today for security purposes.
4. It's a colourful world
Your eyes can distinguish between approximately 10 million different colours. And women with a particular kind of genetic mutation can see millions of more colours.
The retina of your eyes receives the vision of the outside world as upside down. It is your brain, which flips the image for you so that you can see the world as it is.
6. Sunscreen for the eyes?
It is possible for your eyes to get sunburnt. Therefore, it is advisable for you to wear sunglasses in order to protect your eyes from the ultraviolet radiations.
The eye muscle is the muscle that reacts at the fastest rate out of all the other muscles in your body. It can contract in less than even 1/100th of a second.
8. Paint it red?
The retina of your eyes cannot detect the red colour. The retinas do have green, red and blue receptors, but the red receptor can detect only the colour yellow-green and the green one can recognise blue-green. It is your brain that combines these signals to give you the impression of the colour red.
9. Dreams and sight
Even if you become blind later in life, you can see images in your dreams if you were born with sight.
10. We are blink-eyed peas
You blink approximately 17 times every minute. That makes it 5.2 million times in a year.