Lybrate.com has top trusted ENT Specialists from across India. You will find ENT Specialists with more than 38 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find ENT Specialists online in Delhi and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. Smita Gupta
Cysts Removal Procedure
Treatment of Tonsils (Tonsillitis)
Hearing Aid Fitting
Treatment of Throat and Voice Problems
Earlobe Repair Procedure
Treatment of Sleep Disturbance
Nose Reshaping Procedure
Hearing Testing Techniques
Nasal And Sinus Allergy Care
Cochlear Implant Procedure
Ear Micro Surgery
Treatment Of Hearing Deficiency
Submit a review for Dr. Smita GuptaYour feedback matters!
We humans are obsessed with the way we look. This is despite the fact that we can only see what the mirror (or our pictures) shows and nobody can actually see their own faces. The nose is one part that very few are happy with. It is either too short, long, round, sharp, whatnot. To add to that, science has come up with the size and shape that can make one look beautiful. There are surgeries that can shape it up, so you can walk with your nose held high!!
Rhino, stands for nose, and plasty is for surgery. Rhinoplasty is a surgical procedure which is useful in correcting the shape and size of the nose. Earlier done as a treatment for people with chronic nasal congestion and blocks, it has gained popularity as a cosmetic procedure in the recent decades.
As noted, rhinoplasty could be done for cosmetic and therapeutic reasons, some of them being:
- Nose completely out of proportion with the facial size
- Misshapen tip of the nose, which could be drooping, hooked, or bulbous
- Nostrils not in proper position or misshapen
- Asymmetrical nostrils
- Nasal bridge having lumps or bumps
- Externally visible deviation of the nasal septum, causing both cosmetic and breathing issues
During the surgical reshaping, cartilage may be added or removed to achieve the desired shape.
What to expect before the procedure?
Getting yourself in the right hands. Think about it, in the wrong hands, this surgery can have very serious effects, not just functionally but also cosmetically. You could then end up wishing that you were better off with the previous, misshapen nose. After the surgery, you will notice a different you in the mirror, as the nose has a telling effect on a person’s appearance.
At the time of surgery:
Depending on the extent of surgery, local or general anesthesia is used. General is preferred though. With a local anesthesia, you will be aware of the sights and sounds of the surgery.
Post the procedure:
Once the procedure is over, gradually expect the following.
- A puffy face, as the tissue around the eyes and the nose will be considerably swollen
- The nose will be covered with a splint for at least a week. This allows the bones and cartilage to settle down in their new position.
- Use a cold compresses to help in pain control and reduce swelling
- Take the entire course of antibiotics and pain killers
- Sleep with the head of the bed elevated for the first one week postoperatively
Rhinoplasty is definitely a choice to improve appearance and self-esteem; the key is to place yourselves in safe hands. In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
There are various kinds of nosebleeds that can be caused by a variety of conditions. While some of them may not be too serious, one must never ignore heavy and persistent nosebleeds. These nosebleeds are usually of two kinds: anterior nosebleeds, and posterior nosebleeds. While 90% of all nosebleeds are anterior nosebleeds, the posterior nosebleeds are far less common and may be slightly more serious in nature. An anterior nosebleed is usually caused in the blood vessels that lie on the front portion of the nose and can be controlled easily. A posterior nosebleed usually comes from damage to an artery in the rear portion of the nose. Infection, trauma, allergic reactions and other such causes may be behind a nosebleed. Let us cast a glance on the tips to prevent nosebleeds.
- Salt water and saline nose drops can be used in order to prevent nosebleeds. It is important to take these on a regular basis in case you are experiencing these nosebleeds on a regular basis.
- The use of painkillers like Aspirin and other non-steroid anti-inflammatory drugs must be limited. Sometimes, taking such medication too frequently may lead to nosebleeds.
- You would do well to control your blood pressure because hypertension and other forms of high blood pressure can also cause nosebleeds. Lifestyle changes like your diet and exercise can help in keeping a more stable blood pressure level so that you do not fall prey to frequent nosebleeds.
- Humidify your home with a humidifier so that the air does not get too dry. Many times, this causes nosebleeds. Also, you may want to keep the heat down in the bedrooms. Many nosebleeds happen due to too warm temperatures while you are sleeping.
- Nose picking should also be discouraged as it can lead to nosebleeds in case there is a scratch or any other kind of damage when you try to force the dirt out.
- It has also been found that smoking has a connection with nosebleeds. This can be fixed if the patient quits smoking.
- One should not use nasal sprays without a prescription from a doctor. This also includes antihistamines, decongestants as well as other medicated sprays. These may not suit the patient at all times, and may also lead to nosebleeds.
- In the event of a nosebleed, you will need to lean forward with your head tilted backwards. This will stem the bleeding. If it is possible, you must also try and lie down immediately for a few minutes.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
I get tired while sitting gets naps and start snoring, my snoring at night also have increased, so pl say what to do.
I am suffering from cold. My right side nose is blocked and after every 3-5 mins a water type of drop is coming out from my right side nose. What should i do?
My Ears Ears rings holes become large so please suggest what to do? How much it will for stich the Ear holes.
I have air traped inside my ears since last 3 days after I came home from an self-driven 1500km outstation tour. What do do, I had tried blowing out keeping nose and eyes closed - this only helps for a few minutes.
I am 23 years old. My nose is not in correct shape. I want to reshape it. I consult with a doctor he said me to go for nose implant and it will cost around 3-4 lakh. But I read this in internet that it's better to have surgery from own rib cartilage tissue rather than nose implant. Since it do not last for lifetime. It can get infected also. I am soo confused what to do. please plz suggest.
Are you aware of the causes and symptoms of vertigo? Also known as bhrama, vertigo is a balance disorder. It is also referred to as a spinning sensation and head rush. A sense of spinning of the nearby surroundings is experienced by a person affected with vertigo. Standing in an upright position becomes difficult. The onset of this condition occurs in several ways. Ayurveda has a complex explanation for vertigo or bhrama, which is as follows:
According to Ayurveda, vertigo is caused because of your pitta and vata doshas.
- When the vata and pitta doshas get excited, an abnormal functioning of the balance mechanism within your inner ear is caused.
- A vestibular imbalance, or an imbalance in the inner part of your ear is the primary cause of vertigo. It disrupts the coordination of a stimulus and response.
- Any defect or disruption in the proper flow of oxygen to the ear can result in vertigo attacks.
Factors causing imbalance in doshas
- Viral infections like common cold
- Ear problems like discharges, infections in the ear cavity, and perforation of the eardrum
- Certain cardiovascular diseases such as low blood pressure, valve diseases, and improper heart rhythms
- Migraine and anemia
- Certain neck ailments such as cervical spondylosis
- Arthritis and injury to the head that leads to concussions
Several Ayurvedic herbs and remedies are used for the treatment of vertigo. These herbs are added to a patient’s regular diet. They are as follows:
- Ashwagandha improves the flow of oxygen in your body. It is commonly used for dealing with respiratory problems that result in vertigo or bhrama.
- Ginkgo is the most effective Ayurvedic herb for curbing all forms of circulatory problems. It enhances the flow of oxygen to various parts of your body. It is ideal for the reduction and elimination of vertigo. It also cures ringing in the ears, which is a common vertigo symptom.
- The roots of the vacha tree are effective in giving relief to vertigo patients.
- A concoction made of Guduchi Kasaya is effective in curing a vertigo. One should have 30ml of the concoction every morning, at least half an hour before breakfast.
- Other important Ayurvedic remedies that help with vertigo management include Triphala, Sarpagandha, Yogendra rasa, Saraswatarishtha, and many others.
It is recommended for you to consult an Ayurvedic practitioner before starting Ayurvedic treatment for vertigo on your own. He will be able to diagnose your condition and severity, and accordingly prescribe the best treatment.