I am Dietitian Shilpa Chawla, Mentor Shilpa Chawla Health Clinic. I am in this field of dietics and nutritions since last 10 years and have been able to bring smiles on thousands of people who are having a lot of trouble in their health, but with the only with only diet tips and healthy lifestyle and exercise routine they were able to come to the normal lifestyle and they were happy with the kind of diet I have been giving to them, they are having a very healthy lifestyle. I have been able to help people who are suffering from diabetes, type 2 insulin resistance, high insulin, high cholesterol, fatty liver, PCOD and many other problems. But today I will be talking to you regarding PCOD and PCOS, so friends starting with it, what is PCOD or what is PCOS? PCOD is Polycystic ovarian disease or Polycystic ovarian syndrome, it is the phase where the eggs do not mature and the ovaries do not release them after every month and they keep on accumulating in the ovaries or the sak for a longer time and they become Polycystic. This problem basically comes with lot of symptoms like having facial hair, abdominal fat, baldness and you know body hair etc. with this girls become very conscious and they have lot of emotional mood swings also. So I tried to help them holistically to come out of this problem emotionally as well as physical changes which they are facing, I tried to help them in that also and it has been seen that girls from the age of 14 to 44 which is the child making age or the baby bearing age, the girls are facing these problem nowadays. And it is very sad that 70% of the girls they get undiagnosed because they feel shy to talk about it to the parents or to the doctors or to their friends. So friends, I would like to tell that please nowadays it is very common this thing that we all have menstrual cycle, so we should be free to talk about this to the parents or to the doctors. Whereas, I would like to tell that every female has to go through puberty, so prevention is better than cure, so the girls should from the age of 13 or 12 should start with having good exercise pattern and stop eating sugary foods which basically pastries, cake at etc. and because the insulin level increases in the sugar and in this what happens is the girls with PCOD problem they are more prone to have diabetes. So, no sugary food items you should avoid simple carbohydrates, stop having white bread, or maida or refined flour you should add on to complex carbohydrates by adding oats, bajra, ragi etc to your food and moreover the regular exercise is very important to cure the PCOD problem, strength exercises are very important. You should have fixed timing of your food pattern because and you should not have any TV, laptop, magazine etc. while you are eating your food and moreover you should have a very sleep well pattern of 6 to 8 hours because sleep leads to recovery, rest leads to recovery.
So friends, for better tips and more customised diet plan I would suggest you to contact me through Lybrate.
Thank you.read more
I am Dietitian Shilpa Chawla mentor Shilpa Chawla Health Clinic.
I have been in this field of nutrition and dietetics since last 10 years and have been able to help people who are suffering from different kind of problems and who were not happy with the medical practitioners who are not able to bring change in them with the help of allopathy or homeopathy medicines. But just a little change in their lifestyle or having food on time and having healthy food have make lots and lots of changes in their life. So friends, today I will be talking about central obesity which is the major problem now a day, in male as well as in female. Central obesity, how can we judge whether it is actually a problem or not? It is the ratio of waist and hip, the WHR should be less than .8 for females and less than 1 for male, if it is more than this ratio it can create lot of problems. This problem can come with lot of other diseases like CVD, hypertension, you can go for diabetes type 2 problem, belly fat can bring lots and lots of problems along with it. So, I would suggest people who are having this WHR or the waist hip ratio more than the fact I have told, they should be very much conscious that they can be prone to all these problems I have said just right now. I would like to suggest people who are having such problem to have a little change in their lifestyle like we should get up in the morning on a very good time after having a nice sleep and fresh they should get up fresh in the morning so that cortisol levels are high in the morning when you wake up fresh and the metabolism increases. So you should start your day by making your body alkaline because when we get up the body is acidic. You start your day by having lemon water, you can have amla or you can start with a fresh fruit that is available in that particular season. Then after making a body alkaline start your day with having nuts like Almonds, walnuts, Pumpkins seeds, sunflower, ceasom all these nuts which are very much rich in Omega 3 essential fatty acids, you should start your day with that. Then we should have a very healthy breakfast when we talk about breakfast the breakfast should be comprised of good proteins, good carbohydrates and very good sources of fat, for example we can start with Tofu paneer sandwich, you can go for besan cheela which has negative calorie properties, basically, it is very heavy but it leads to loss in calories, we can have sprouts in the morning, yellow moong dal cheela and we should definitely use a teaspoon of Desi Ghee, coconut oil or other groundnut oil like or other oils like Sunflower oil, groundnut oil and sarso ka tail. Ok then in mid morning, if you start a day breakfast by 9 by 11 you should have a fruit or green tea or any kind of vegetable juice or fruit juice by lunch which would be around two and a half hours after your mid morning, you should have chapati which should be complex carbohydrates you should add a like Oats, Jawar, Bajra you can add Jau to your atta in the ratio of 30-70 or 50-50 depending upon the situation and you should have dal, dal should be green moong dal, kali massar, arhar dal, green moong dal chilka along with all vegetables which are rich in fibre and minerals and vitamins along with that we can have salad and curd. Then after like 2 hours, we can start with the tea or biscuit or roasted chana or full makhana then by dinner again dinner should be comprised of good protein, carbohydrate and fat, carbohydrate should be again complex but if you want to change your taste you can go for wheat pasta and you can have soups and salads also.
So friends, I have lots and lots of tips written for you and you can contact me through Lybrate for customize diet plans.
Thank you so much.read more
Find numerous Dietitian/Nutritionists in India from the comfort of your home on Lybrate.com. You will find Dietitian/Nutritionists with more than 41 years of experience on Lybrate.com. We will help you find the best Dietitian/Nutritionists online in Delhi. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. Shilpa Chawla
Submit a review for Dr. Shilpa ChawlaYour feedback matters!
Patient Review Highlights
She is an amazing dietician....vry sweet and friendly with so much of professionalism...My experience with her going so good I m very happy and satisfied with my results the way it's going....Thanks to Dr Shilpa chawla....
Are you looking for an ideal detox diet? Detoxing does much more than making your skin glow and your eyes sparkle. It boosts your energy levels, improves your digestive system and also helps you with weight loss. A detox diet contains no grains, no milk, no alcohol, and no sugar. A detox plan aims at taking the load off the organs which detoxify your body, such as the kidneys, liver, and bowel. There are several things you should keep in mind before undertaking a detox diet.
How to start?
You should undertake a detox diet when you have a long break from events and occasions which might disrupt your detox diet, such as parties, weddings, and birthdays. You may experience a cleansing reaction during the first few days of the detox diet, like loose bowel movements and headaches. This happens because of the abrupt withdrawal of some food items from your diet.
Food you should avoid
While on a detox diet, there are several food items you should avoid. They include milk products, sugar, maple syrup, honey, artificial sweeteners, coffee, alcohol, dried fruit, and grains such as wheat, barley, oats, rice, and barley.
Food you should take
Here are the food products which should be a part of your detox diet:
- All kinds of fresh fruits
- All kinds of fresh vegetables
- Fresh fish or fish canned in olive oil or water
- Lean red meat and chicken
- Legumes such as chickpeas, lentils, and kidney beans
- Organic eggs
- Unprocessed coconut oil and extra virgin olive oil
- Nuts such as walnuts, cashews, macadamias, and unsalted almonds
- Seeds like pumpkin, sesame, and sunflower seeds
- White tea, green tea
- 1 to 3 liters of water every day
Seven day detox plan
- You should start your day in the morning with lemon juice, which is good for cleansing your system and kick starting digestion.
- During detox, you should exercise for an hour regularly. Vigorous exercise is required, which increases your circulation and lymph flow for helping you sweat out toxins.
- Consume raw food items as they contain more enzymes and nutrients.
- You also need to detoxify your mind. You should meditate for at least 15 minutes every day. You can also try belly breathing.
- Drinking lots of water is very important during a detox diet. This helps in moving the lymphs and supporting detoxification from your kidneys.
- It is important to chew your food properly. You should chew a mouthful of food for about 10 to 12 times before swallowing it. You should avoid a detox diet if you are pregnant, have high blood pressure, are underweight, or if you are an elderly person.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
Health benefits of mangoes
1. A pregnant woman’s saviour
• mangoes are not only a rich source of iron, but also vitamins b6, a and c that are great for pregnant mothers and their baby.
• mangoes are a great way to satiate voracious cravings during pregnancy and to get the right amount of nutrients.
2. helps in digestion
• it is time to make this fibrous fruit a sgnificant member in your daily menu if you waste your precious time in the loo.
• being a rich source of fibre, mangoes ease the digestion process and bowel movements. they relieve you from constipation, ulcers and other kind of gastrointestinal disorders.
• enzymes in mangoes also help in breaking down carbohydrates and proteins.
3. helps in achieving flawless skin
• vitamins a, c, b6 and other nutrients present in mangoes make consuming them an ideal way for achieving healthy skin.
• mangoes cleanse your body within and clear your pores, thereby, keeping acne and other skin problems at bay.
• it protects your skin from sun and oxidative damage.
• they improve the complexion and help in maintaining the youth and suppleness of the skin.
4. alkalizes your body
• maintenance of the right ph level of the body is important to stay healthy. mangoes contain significant amounts of tartaric and malic acids and traces of citric acids as well. this helps in the maintenance of alkaline levls that prevent any damage to muscles, bones and kidneys.
• it also helps in quick transfer of oxygen to all parts of the body that keeps you energetic, fit and healthy.
5. memory booster
• mangoes are loaded with nutrients that improve your brain health the presence of vitamin b6 plays an important role in enhancing brain function.
• regular consumption of mangoes prevent oxidative stress and cell damage that in turn improves your memory, alertness and prevents any kind of brain disorder.
Health benefits of mangoes
Here is why our mothers and grandmothers have been raving about the king of fruits.
1. Prevent cancer
• consuming mangoes every day is a delicious way to make you immune to cancer.
• mangoes contain abundant quantities of antioxidant elements.
• terpenoids, carotenoids, polyphenols, ascorbic acid and gallic acid prevent breast, colon, prostrate and several kinds of cancer.
• mangoes are gifted with unique compounds that cannot be found in any other fruits.
• mangiferin compound present in mangoes is another reason for the fruit’s anti-cancer properties. This compound inhibits the growth of cancer and tumour cells.
2. Immunity booster
• mangoes are a rich source of beta-carotone and vitamin a. These carotenoids improve your overall health and make you resistant to bacteria and viruses. They fight free radicals and prevent them from harming your organs, thus, reducing the probability of falling sick.
3. Maintains cholestrol levels
• mangoes contain an increased level of vitamin c and pectin that maintains cholesterol the right way.
• significant amount of potassium present I mangoes regulates blood pressure and heart rate.
4. Enhances your sex life
• rightly called the aphrodisiac fruit, mangoes help in regulating sex hormones and boost sex drive.
• the presence of vitamin e helps in improving men’s virility and increases the production of histamine that’s cardinal for men to reach orgasm.
•the presence of potassium, magnesium and other vital nutrients boost libido. The combination of betacarotene and vitamin a is known to prevent sperm damage.
Technology addiction leads to heart diseases in teenagers
“life was much easier when blackberry and apple were just fruits.” technology
Was invented to bring people closer and make life easier but it has had just theopposite efect. The worst effects of technology have been seen in teenagers- obesity, depression, loneliness and a bad lifestyle, making them prone to heart diseases at a very young age.
Wrong habits don’t last long and make you pay the price in no time, whether it is missing out on your workout, eating too much or not eating at all, being a couch potato and remaining glued to the tv for hours. If you have been in love with technlogy lately and are not ready to part with your mobile phone, laptop and pc, it’s time you think again.
A case study on teenagers by Dr. Pn arora claims that children who are more active and take part in sports are less prone to depression and obesity. And children who like being indoors and playing games on their mobiles or laptops become easily depressed, tend to eat more and act moody.
Lifestyle diseases are different from other diseases, and can be cured and controlled with a simple change in your diet and way of life. Here are a few expert tips to start now:
1. Burn those extra inches: make exercise a part of your, everyday routine. If you have no time to hit the gym, take a one-hour brisk walk and fill your lungs with some freash air. Just add more
2. Go raw: raw fruits and vegetables not only add a glow to your skin but also provide you with
Anti-oxidants that protect you against cell damage and prevent cancer. To get maximum benefits have at least servings of fruits and vegetables everyday.
3. Say no to processed food: fast foods, takeaways and eating out have become a part of our busy lives. Such foods are filled with preservatives and have high content of salt and sugar which lead to heart diseases. They have no nutritional value and must be avoided as much as possible.
4. Walk barefoot: this has been scientifically proven to be one of the best ways to release stress and achieve a better posture. Depression patients are advised to walk barefoot on green grass as it makes them feel happy instantly.
5. Give those eyes a rest: a good rest helps you stay away from unhealthy snacking. People tend to eat more when tired. An eight-hour sleep helps you concentrate better and prevents premature ageing.