Lybrate.com has a number of highly qualified Gynaecologists in India. You will find Gynaecologists with more than 39 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Gynaecologists online in Delhi and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Caesarean Section Procedure
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Termination Of Pregnancy Procedure
Treatment Of Pregnancy Problems
Well Woman Healthcheck
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Treatment Of Medical Diseases In Pregnancy
Treatment Of Menstrual Problems
Intra-Uterine Insemination (IUI) Treatment
Medical Termination Of Pregnancy (Mtp) Procedure
Gynecology Laparoscopy Procedures
Pap Smear Procedure
Urinary Incontinence (Ui) Treatment
Submit a review for Dr. Shashi PrabhaYour feedback matters!
Getting your periods for the very first time can be daunting. Especially if you have never been educated about it and you are far away from home and you have no clue about what is going on. The overbearing pain from stomach cramping does not make it any better. It is always good to be on the safe side and keep yourself educated about it.
What is your first period?
Periods are a very natural part of your life as a woman. It happens when the body of a girl undergoes changes and starts maturing into a woman. It happens when blood is expelled out of your uterus to set up your body for maturation and pregnancy. Since your body is transforming, you can get pregnant (and just before your first period as well).
Your period happens once per month and as a rule, lasts between 2-7 days, however, it might take a couple of months for your period to be consistent; the initial few might be light and sporadic. You may think that it is helpful to monitor your period every month, to see when it is expected and when it arrives.
Indications of period
Around the season of your first period, your body shape will get to be distinctly curvier, your hips and bosoms will enhance. You will likewise see more hair developing in new places, under your arms and around your vagina. These are all typical changes and a part of growing up.
What can be the questions which are frequently asked?
Q1 When will you get them?
A. A women hits puberty the age of 12. So you may expect it anytime between 12-16 years of age. Sometimes it is likely for you to get it prior to this age as well.
Q2 How long can it last?
A. Initially your periods may not be regular and it lasts from 5-12 days. But with age, your cycle is likely to get regular and it can get over within 3 days.
Q3 What to do when I get it?
A. Firstly, you must not panic. Go tell a teacher or a parent or any elderly and they will surely help you.
Q4 How do I manage it?
A. There are several options. You can either use sanitary napkins, menstrual cups or tampons.
Q5 Is it possible to exercise or go swimming?
A. Yes, absolutely. If you use hygiene products such as tampons or menstrual cups, you can normally do your activities.
Q6 Does it hurt?
A. Unfortunately, sometimes it does. This happens because the muscles in your uterus are cramping. It usually gets better from the 2nd day of your period. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a gynaecologist.
5 Facts Every Pregnant Women Should Know About Her Baby
1) A pregnant woman usually starts to feel her baby's movements /kicks for the first time around 16-20 weeks of her pregnancy. Although the baby starts its movements inside the womb much earlier but they are too small to be noticed. These movements are described by women as a flutter/ swish/ discrete kick/or a roll.
2) Gradually these movements acquire a regular pattern and achieve a maximum intensity around the 32nd week. Adequate and strong fetal movements as perceived by the mother are a sign of good health of the baby. Any substantial decrease in your baby's movements from 28 weeks onwards till the onset of labor pains should be reported to your doctor for further follow up.
3) Fetal movements are affected by a number of factors. Women usually feel the maximum movements when they are lying on their side in a quiet room instead of standing or walking. Also, the movements are perceived more in the evenings rather than mornings.
4) An anteriorly placed placenta or intake of alcohol or sedating drugs may decrease the perception of baby's movements. There is some evidence that the movements may also decrease temporarily for one or two days after you have received the antenatal steroids for baby's lung maturation. A reduced or absent fetal movement from the very beginning may indicate some nervous system or neuromuscular abnormality in your baby.
5) There is no set count of what constitutes a normal movement count. It is advisable that instead of absolute counts, one should just keep an average at the back of your mind. Any gross decrease from the previous days is of concern. If you have any doubts about the adequacy of your baby's movements after 28 weeks, it is advisable to go to a quiet room after a meal, lie on your side and watch for movements for 2 hours. If you feel less than 10 movements, then visit your doctor for a check up.One must remember that the baby also has a sleep cycle lasting from 40-80 minutes when the baby quietens a bit but beyond that one must be able to feel good movements.
Thyroid disease is becoming a major health issue. 20 million Indian have some form of thyroid disease. We need to raise awareness and help others get to the root of their health issues so we can turn this trend around!Here are some of the steps and resources I used to help me while I worked to heal thyroid disease. If the list is overwhelming, think about finding just one change or resource each week. After about 6 months, you’ll have made a wealth of changes and will hopefully be on your way to better health.
Symptoms of Thyroid:
- Weight gain
- Hair loss
- Dry Skin
- Hoarse Voice
- Intolerance to cold
- Mood Swings
- Heavy Menstrual flow
Find the some tips to cure thyroid at your own:
- Make sure you have enough Vitamin D as vitamin D linked with autoimmune diseases and reduce your stress in your life is very important to cure thyroid.
- Eat pastured, grass-fed gelatin, organic animal food, Foods derived from animals raised 100% on pasture (and wild animals) are anti-inflammatory. it has also been shown to benefit the digestive tract, immune system, heart, liver, muscles, and skin.
- Eat saturated fats at every meal – I could go on for days about the many benefits of saturated fats from the right sources: organic butter, coconut oil, ghee, lard, tallow, etc. In a nutshell, they help reduce inflammation and nourish the body. Here’s a fantastic resource with dozens of peer-reviewed studies demonstrating the health benefits of saturated fats.
- Anytime you take a prescription drug, over-the-counter drug or get a vaccine, read the insert and know the ingredients you’re putting into your body – You might find gluten, egg, soy, bovine cells, pig cells, human cells, heavy metals, etc. used in these products. Depending on your condition, you might consider other alternatives.
Use healthy cookware and bakeware, Reduce your caffeine consumption, Eat unprocessed sea salt , Remove all sugar from your diet,Make sure you’re getting enough carbohydrates,Check Your Adrenals (Thyroid Test).
For the past few years, laser hair removal has been the gold standard in de-fuzzifying beauty methods, with the potential to end a lifetime of annoying tweezing, waxing and shaving practices. But considering the cost and long-term commitment, it’s not an easy decision to make lightly. Keep the following tips in mind before buying your first laser hair removal deal.
1. Make sure you’re a good candidate
Chances are that if you’re reading this, you’re eligible to experience the wonder of laser hair removal; the technology has advanced over the years to treat more and more types of people. Those with light skin and dark hair have the best chances at success (the laser light picks up on the colour contrast in order to zap follicles), but some clinics use different systems that may have improved chances at treating darker skin tones or lighter hair colours. Check to see what your clinic uses if you’re concerned about your skin-hair combination not being ideal.
2. Know that not all lasers are created equal
You may think laser hair removal is basically the same no matter where you go, but there are at least five major technologies currently available: IPL, Alexandrite, Diode, Nd:YAG and Ruby. They each offer different pros and cons: (for example, IPL is very popular due to its versatility and lack of discomfort, but may not work as well for thicker hair). Again, what’ll work for you depends a lot on your particular skin and hair type.
3. Do a background check
Laser hair removal is a shade more complicated than your standard spa treatment, so youll want to make sure the person behind the handpiece is fully qualified. We try to give you as much info as possible on each offers page, so reading those sections on our site fully before clicking the buy button is a great start. It also doesn’t hurt to do a quick Google search, check the clinics website or simply call them up to learn more about the operator’s education and experience.
4. Shave, but don’t wax, before your first visit
In the weeks leading up to your first treatment, nix all forms of hair removal that require pulling out the root, including waxing, tweezing and epilating. Switch to razors about four to six weeks in advance - some clinics will require that you shave right before treatment, while some others request that you have a bit of stubble (maybe up to three days worth) in order for the light technology to pick up on the strands. Make sure to consult your clinic to see what prep work they will want you to do.
5. Avoid the sun
Since skin colour has a big impact on how effective the laser treatment can be, getting a golden tan right before your visit is clearly a bad idea; the closer the skin colour is to the hair, the less likely the laser can differentiate between the two. Most docs recommend completely protecting the area from sunlight 72 hours in advance, or more if possible. The area will be sensitive afterward as well, and it’s often recommended to stay out of the sun or wear sunblock for up to a month or two after treatment.
6. Expect a small amount of irritation
Having powerful lasers aimed at your body sounds like it could be rough, but thankfully its usually not. People often describe the sensation as feeling like a rubber band popping at your skin, and machines that use a cooling handpiece tend to mitigate discomfort overall. Basically, if you can handle waxing, you should be more than able to handle laser hair removal. Afterwards, it’s fairly standard for the area to be red, but this should subside after a few hours or a day.
7. The results won’t be instant
Shaving and waxing are quick, temporary fixes, but laser hair removal requires you to play the long game. Hair wont disappear instantly after the first treatment; it gradually falls out in the preceding weeks, and requires roughly four to 10 visits to be fully eradicated. Additionally, visits have to be scheduled about four to eight weeks apart for your safety, and the number of visits may depend on your own skin type and hair growth. But if you’re willing to be patient and stick with it, youll wind up with long-lasting, potentially permanent results.
If you would like to consult with me privately, please click on 'Consult'.
From Lybrate: If you found this tip useful, please thank the doctor by clicking on the heart icon below. Also, spread good health by sharing this tip with your loved ones over WhatsApp, Facebook and other media.
Female, 23 yrs, weight 35 kg, I am suffering from Pott Spine/ Bone TB and its treatment course duration is 1 year and 6 months and my course has completed 6 months but I want to have baby although my husband is against my decision as he says AT THIS TIME PRIORITY IS YOUR HEALTH AND WE'LL HAVE BABY LATER POST COMPLETION OF MY TB COURSE. Now here I want to ask what if in this situation if I conceive; shall go ahead against my husband decision or what should I do or should I follow my husband's instructions. Please educate in both manner in context of my and my husband's decision.
5 foods that fight water retention
Fluid or water retention is a health condition in which there is an excessive buildup of fluids in the body and as a result, the feet swell up the first. While there are medicines which help combat this situation, there also exist foods which act against this situation, hence, should be consumed regularly. Salt should be avoided if you are experiencing water retention.
1. Melons: fruits which have a high content of potassium are good for reducing water retention. It is a good idea to start the day with fruits like melons and citrus fruits.
2. Nuts: nuts have vitamin b6 which works against the bloated feeling one gets when there is water retention.
3. Water: odd it may sound but when your body is dehydrated and in needs water, you can face water retention. In such cases, drink ample water for the swelling to subside. Make sure you drink at least eight glasses of water and enough before going to sleep. If drinking plain water is a pain, then add slices of lemon, mint leaves and grated ginger in the water.
4. Salmon: it is one super food which is loaded with omega-3s that is good for our health and act against water retention. You can also have flax, herring, mackerel, and tuna.
5. Green leafy vegetables: blot fighting goods like watercress, celery, tomatoes, carrots, onions, and peppers should be included in daily diet. It is always a good idea to have a salad during meals.
In case water retention is of long duration, must consult a doctor to rule out any medical problem leading to excessive water retention.
Hello Doc! Is it safe to have sex during 5th month of pregnancy? People around me tell me that one should have sex during pregnancy to get normal delivery is that true?
The term infertility in females explains a wide range of disorders but in order to simplify things, lets’ just say, infertility in women is a condition in which women are unable to conceive. There are numerous reasons that can be responsible for this situation and although some are preventable or curable, most others have no specific cure or treatment.
One of the most common reasons for infertility is an ovulatory disorder. Almost 30 percent of female infertility is caused due to this reason. 70 percent of such infertility is treatable with drugs such as Reprones/Menogan and Clomiphene. Here is a list of causes of failed ovulation-
Disruption in the complex hormonal balance.
Ovaries fail to produce mature eggs. Polycystic ovarian syndrome is the most common disorder causing this problem. This syndrome has reduced FSH production and increased production of LH, Oestrogen and Testosterone. Suppressed FSH production may cause the partial development of ovarian follicles.
Hypothalamus may malfunction thereby causing the pituitary to malfunction, thus losing control over the process or FSH and LH production.
Physical damage to the ovaries by multiple surgeries or due to the formation of cysts.
A rare case of premature menopause.
Problems of the follicle.
Poor functioning of fallopian tubes
Diseases or disorders in the tube have been another major reason of infertility in women. Almost 25 percent of women infertility occurs due to this reason. Although treatments exist, success rates of the treatments are as high as 30 percent. The causes of tube damage may be as follows-
Infection caused by bacteria or viruses
Abdominal diseases like colitis and appendicitis
Previous pelvic or abdominal surgeries.
A condition called ectopic pregnancy which occurs in the tube, and even if very carefully but successfully overcome, may leave permanent damage.
Rare congenital defects in which women may be born with tube anomalies.
This is the condition where the endometrium expands excessively thereby preventing individuals from getting pregnant. This affects almost 10 percent of the population of infertile women. Almost 40 percent of women with endometriosis are infertile.
Other additional factors may include:
Behavioural factors like personal habits, lifestyle and health factors.
Exercise and diet- extremely overweight or underweight women may have problems in conceiving.
Cigarette smoking reduces the chances of conceiving by one-third.
Alcohol increases the chances of birth defects.
Hence, pregnancy is tougher than it might really seem. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a gynaecologist.
Cancer is an uncontrolled proliferation of transformed cells in any part of the body. Neoplasm or tumor are used variably to describe any swelling or new growth. Benign growths don't have the potential to spread to other organs or parts of the body while malignancy or malignant growths have uncontrolled proliferation and metastatic potential. Transformation is a multistep process with genetic alterations by which normal cells acquire malignant potential, uncontrolled proliferation capacity and capacity to spread to other parts of the body (metastasis) worldwide cancer is responsible for 1 in 8 deaths. Most common cancers are:
Men: oral cancer (in India), prostate, lung
Women: breast, cervix and endometrium, colorectal, lung
What causes cancer? cancer is usually multifactorial
1. Age- more in age group greater than 60 yrs compared to younger age group
2. Obesity- body mass index greater than 30
3. Tobacco - cigarette, cigar, bidi, hookah, smokeless tobacco like gutka, zarda etc. There is no safe form of tobacco.
4. Pan masala and supari
6. Ultraviolet rays exposure
7. Radiation exposure
8. Genetic factors
9. Others- pollution, certain chemicals, infections
Prevention of cancer:
1. Stay away from tobacco products
2. Eat healthy and daily physical activity- fresh fruits and vegetable are good, maintain optimal body weight
3. Be safe in sun
4. Cancer awareness and early detection: alarming signs are (caution)-
- Change in bowel or bladder habits
- A sore that will not heal
- Unusual discharge or bleeding
- Thickening or lump in the breast, testicles or elsewhere
- Indigestion or difficulty swallowing
- Obvious change in a wart or mole
- A nagging cough or hoarseness
5. Cancer screening: screening is for healthy individuals with education. Rather than going for unnecessary blind tests, a programme for screening should be planned in consultation with your oncologist as requirements are different for different cancers and differ as per age groups and gender. Also, screening is not effective in all cancers. Cancer education and awareness have due importance. Some cancers in which screening has been shown to be effective includes breast, colon, rectum, cervix, prostate, lung in high-risk groups but as mentioned earlier it is planned with participation of both individual and oncologist.
Types of cancer treatment:
Cancer treatment is now a multidisciplinary management in which different surgical, medical and radiation oncologist plan treatment protocol for best possible chances of cure. Advancement in all these fields and their contribution in comprehensive management results in 25-30% improvement in cure rate over previous decades.
- Surgery: involves surgical principles to remove the tumor with adequate margins and possible draining lymph nodes regions. Improvements and understanding of surgical principles even make resection of distant disease or cure of stage iv disease in some selected cases.
- Chemotherapy: cytotoxic drugs are given either in injectable or oral forms which acts on uncontrolled cancer cells. Advances in this fields result in drugs with better efficacy and less side effect profile and at the same time resulting in better cancer control. Targetted therapy acts on specific pathways of cancer growth. Hormone therapy targets specific hormone receptors for controlling cancer.
- Radiation therapy: is the delivery of radiation generated by radioactive source over the region of cancer. More and more advances in radiation technologists are emerging like imrt, sbrt to focus radiation over the specific location so as to avoid toxic effect over surrounding area.
You are about to go on stage to face an audience. Palms sweaty, heart racing and a fear gripping your in such a way that your feet or tongue refuse to move? Relax. You are having a bout of stage fright. The first and most comforting thing to know is that the biggest and most popular performers and speakers also go through a bout of nervousness before their big show. And yet, when you see them on stage, you'll not detect an ounce of it. You can be that person too.
Why do you experience stage fright? Being the center of attention among an audience focused only on you can trigger thoughts of a bad or unconvincing performance resulting in loss of reputation, mockery and a perception of failure. The physical response your body has to this is called "fight or flight" syndrome which is a natural process designed to protect you.
So how do you face the situation and get better of it? Here are a few steps to get you there:
- Self-hypnosis / Hypnotherapy for stage fright: Imagine if you believed that you are a master public speaker and can feel calm and confident during every performance! A self-hypnosis or hypnortherapy session allows you to reach out into the recesses of your subconscious mind and harness its power to handle stressful situations like a stage performance. You may have heard the common adage of - You are what you believe; and this therapy proves it. The process will help you visualize your actual performance and link it with positive, encouraging and enjoyable images which will replace your anxiety with confidence. You can either visit a consultant or buy a CD online.
- NLP (Neuro Linguistic Programming) for stage fright: NLP was created in the 1970s by Richard Bandler and John Grinder in California as a connection between neurological process, linguistic and behavioural patterns learnt through experience or programming. NLP claims to cure everything from phobias to depression to even the common cold. Though not scientifically proven, NLP uses a set of mental exercises to allow you to change your perception and blockages and hesitation into positive actions. Similar to hypnosis, it'll allow you to program yourself to believe and practice for a positive outcome in order to achieve it.
- Add the wow factor: Anyone giving you their time deserves to leave with a 'wow'. Add facts, figures or moves that'll give them that. Add 'your' touch and style to it.
New alternative to knee replacement
Osteoarthritis (oa) of the knee is a severe joint problem, that has become highly prevalent in india. It is a major cause of lack of mobility, particularly among women. Currently, total knee replacement (tkr) surgery is a common solution for oa knee. However, there are risks associated with it. Surgeries for knee oa often throw up mixed results. Sometimes, tkr leaves patients with unresolved pain and loss of function for long periods. Now, however, doctors in usa have come up with the bionicare knee system which works by sending therapeutic electrical currents to the joint with an un-loader brace, that reduces pain and improves overall health of the joint. This is the most thoroughly researched, clinically proven, non invasive, non-drug alternative for the treatment of the knee.
5 benefits of using this treatment:
1. Effective pain relief
2. Non surgical, non-invasive and non-drug treatment
3. No adverse effects
4. Decreases dependency on painkillers
5. Improves function and quality of life
My recommendation to patients who have chronic knee issues, knee injuries, knee pain etc (particularly if doctors have suggested you surgeries for the same), is to try this treatment instead.
If you would like to consult with me privately, please click on consult.
From lybrate: if you found this tip useful, please thank the doctor by clicking on the heart icon below. Also, spread good health by sharing this tip with your loved ones over whatsapp, facebook and other media.
I am a newly married since 4months. Due in our sex I really can't bear the pain in my vagina. And my husband don't nk how long it need to insert? And after inserting it pain like hell. I can't release urine also for one or two days please suggest any cream or lubricants?
Dear Doctor, Me and my girlfriends are planning for an intercourse. My girlfriend is a virgin and this is the 1st time for both of us. So I have 2 doubts. Please advice 1. I heard there will be bleeding for girl at 1st sex if we do will it need any treatment. Will it cause any physical problem. 2. I'm going to use condom, I heard there are some possibility of pregnancy due to damage of condom or tearing of condom if it happen what can I do please advice.
I am 37 weeks pregnant n hav breach position. Any possibility of normal delivery? Can we try for normal n if doesn't work immediately opt for c section. Can something work out for normal delivery. My dic doesn't opt for ecv? please suggest.
Hi doct My problem is that I am not getting pregnant. I went to gynecologist and she prescribed me USG and I have found polycystic ovary. I have completed my three month course of medicine (chrominach, dymsis and productive F). But by all this I am getting result. I have written you all my situation. Pls help me what will I do now.
Bringing a child into this world is one of the most wonderful phases of a woman's life. At the same time, this involves a lot of body changes - physiologically, physically, chemically, and emotionally.
Mommy makeover refers to one or a combination of procedures that are done to alter the appearance after delivery, especially relating to one or more of the following:
- Tummy that is sagging (no fat, just loose skin) with stretch marks
- Breasts that are altered in size and shape, sometimes the enlargement could be completely disproportionate with the body and cause back pain
- Undefined thick waistline with irregular fat accumulation
- Fat deposits on the abdomen, thighs, hips, and trunk that do not reduce with dietary changes and exercise
- Skin changes on the face and around the eyes, giving an aged appearance
- Post cesarean, there is excessive skin around the surgical scar
- Reduces tummy size
- Gives a more youthful appearance
- Alters breasts to the desired shape and size
- Weight loss, if happens, could affect the results
- Subsequent pregnancies don't have any complications with tummy tuck but with another pregnancy the effects may be lessened or reversed.
- Since surgery is involved, the risk of unforeseen complications always exists (for instance, in breast implants, there is capsule formation or capsulitis, in rare cases rupture may require removal.)
Mommy makeover is not a single step procedure, but a combination of plastic surgical procedures that are done depending on the problem you present with.
- Tummy tuck - If there is abdominal sagging, the tummy is tucked back into position by removing the fat and excessive skin and reworking on the belly button.
- Liposuction - Excessive fat deposits in the hips, thighs, trunk area can be removed by sucking out the fat deposits. Most commonly done in the hips and trunk area.
- Breast lift - Sagging uneven breasts, drooping nipples, reduced volume are all indications for a breast lift. During the surgery, the breast tissue is repositioned to reproduce a better shape and size and reposition the nipples if required.
- Breast reduction - Large breasts are a common problem, and breast reduction is one of the most requested for procedures.
- Breast augmentation - Either saline implants or silicone are used to restore breast size and shape to the desired results. Usually, breast lift is combined with breast augmentation.
- Facial corrections - From dark circles to sagging skin to wrinkles, facial appearance can be changed based on the presenting symptoms.
These are very brief descriptions of the various procedures that are done as part of mummy makeover. A detailed consultation with your plastic surgeon regarding costs, subsequent pregnancies, aftercare, recovery, healing, and limitations and risks is to be had ahead of the surgery.