Lybrate.com has top trusted Pulmonologists from across India. You will find Pulmonologists with more than 42 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Pulmonologists online in Delhi and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. Shashi Dangwal
Treatment of Sleep Disturbance
Asthma Management Program
Management of Smoking Cessation
Oxygen Therapy Treatment
Obstructive Sleep Apnea Treatment
Asthma Treatment & Management
Lower/Upper Respiratory Tract Infection Treatment
Submit a review for Dr. Shashi DangwalYour feedback matters!
My mother is 50 year old she has allergic cough with little bit clear plegum at night last 5 month we did all test for t. B. Everything is fine se is type 2 diabetic too Please suggest treatment allegra, reswas and levocetirizine is not working please suggest treatment.
I am suffering from cough and cold and it is having since 5 year and I takes many cough syrups but I can not many benefits in them. How can leave from this problem please help me.
I am 31 years old male living in mumbai, I have problem related to cough. Everytime I feel like adhesive at upper side of my throat. Morning time and in winters it's more. Please consult.
Hi, From 10 years I have sinus, nose blockage problem. In night I have to wake up 3 times in my 8 hrs sleep as mucus is accumulated in my nose which results in blockage n many times difficulty in breathing too. Have gone homiletics treatment for 1 year, 2 times which had cured me 50%but no permanent cure has been there. Please tell me permanent cure. Blockage is due to sensitivity to cold. Means allergic to cold weather n cold food. Please give a permanent solution.
For I m suffering from cough and I have my through is very pain pls can you suggest me what I m doing?
My mother have asthma problem. Now she feeling so hard to breath. She also not taking food from 3-4 days. She is of 70 years old. She also have diabities. What should be do?
Recent years have witnessed the severity of acute respiratory infections. The main cause is exposure to more of respiratory Infection causing microorganisms. Everyone is at a high risk of exposure. The infections can affect all age groups equally. Therefore, you must know all about acute respiratory infections.
Acute respiratory infections may interfere in normal breathing. The infection often starts as a viral infection in the nose, trachea (windpipe) or in the lungs. In cases of non treatment, the infection spreads to the entire respiratory system. The infections are transmissible.
There are many respiratory infections of which causes are unknown. However, a few known viral causes are as follows:
- Adenoviruses: These viruses are known to have over 50 different types of viruses causing common cold, bronchitis as well as pneumonia.
- Rhinoviruses: These viruses cause common cold. Those individuals, be it young or old, who have a weak immune system can have an acute respiratory infection.
- Influenza virus: This is also known as Orthomyxovirus with six types of viruses, such as Type A, B and C, Isa Virus, Thogoto Virus and Coronavirus. Out of these, Type A is known to cause a severe disease.
- Enterovirus: This virus is associated with several human and mammalian diseases, including acute respiratory infection.
- Respiratory syncytial virus: This virus causes respiratory tract infections in the lower respiratory tract.
Bacterial causes are as follows:
- Bacillus anthracis
- Bordetella pertussis
- Corynebacterium diphtheria
- Pneumococcus: It is a cause of meningitis and Pneumonia.
- Streptococcus pyogenes
- Haemophilus influenzae
Few of the prominent symptoms are as follows:
- Itchy, watery eyes - Soreness behind eyes and often conjunctivitis
- Nasal discharge and congestion
- Having Sore throat
- Severe headache
- Muscle pain
The first thing that the doctor tends to check is the breathing pattern of the patient, followed by a number of checks:
- Fluid and inflammation in the lungs
- Nose and throat checks
- X-ray or CT scan would be required to check the condition of the lungs in advanced cases
There could be complications such as respiratory failure, respiratory arrest or congestive heart failure
Ideally for viruses, there isn't any cure. Medications that are prescribed are for the symptoms.
- Cautious use of antibiotics for the symptoms can reduce adverse effects as well as decrease costs. It will also reduce drug resistance.
- A single oral dose of nasal decongestant used in common cold could be moderately effective to aid congestion in grown-ups for a short period.
- Alternate medications, such as the use of vitamin C help in the inhibition and cure of upper respiratory infections.