Lybrate.com has top trusted Gastroenterologists from across India. You will find Gastroenterologists with more than 35 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Gastroenterologists online in Delhi and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. Sharad Malhotra
Submit a review for Dr. Sharad MalhotraYour feedback matters!
I have gastric problem .i suffer gastric ulcer 2 years ago then I treat it. Now I have problem to digest and pain and gastric.
The bowel is a very important part of your body within the digestive system as it plays a vital role in the absorption of nutrients and minerals within your body as well as excreting toxic matter. The bowel contains the small bowel or small intestine as well as the large bowel or the large intestine. However, parts of the bowel may be infected or damaged in such a manner that they may need to be removed in order to save further worsening. Thus, the removal of sections of the bowels is known as bowel resection surgery.
How is bowel resection surgery performed?
In this procedure, sections of either the large intestine or the small intestine are removed which have either become diseased, infected or have malignant growths within them. The doctors and surgeons first identify the sections that need to be removed and then perform the surgery wherein a section of the tissue is excised and then two ends of the bowel are stitched together to form a new section of continuous small intestine or large intestine.
Types of bowel resection
There are two types of bowel resection, namely small bowel resection performed on the small intestine and large bowel resection performed on the large intestine. The indications for both of them are mentioned below:
Small Bowel resection: Some of the cases wherein small bowel resection may be required are as follows:
- Cancerous or benign polyps or growth
- Precancerous growths and polyps
- Damage to the small intestine due to injuries
- Congenital defects in the small intestine
- Blockages in the intestine
- Growth of ulcers, bleeding, and infection within the small intestine
- Infections within the intestines
- Other disorders of the small intestine
Large bowel resection: Large bowel resection is also carried out due to many of the same reasons as mentioned above. However, some of the specific reasons for large bowel resection are mentioned below:
- Colon cancer
- Diverticulitis, disorder that specifically affects the large intestine
- Bowel inflammation or ulcerative colitis
- Abnormal twisting of the bowel also known as volvulus
- Intestines which slide into another section of the intestine; also known as intussusception
Risks of the bowel resection
Like any other surgery, bowel resection also carries its own risks just as any other form of surgery. Some of the common risks of bowel resection are –
- Adverse reaction to anesthesia
- Heart attacks or strokes during the operation
- Excessive bleeding among others
Specific risks for large and small bowel resections are mentioned as follows:
- Small bowel resection: Certain common risks include accumulation of pus in the abdomen, internal bleeding within the intestine after surgery, diarrhea, infection of the incision area and the stitched area breaking open among others
- Large bowel resection: In this case, tissues protruding through the cut causing an incisional hernia is the most common element of risk. Nearby organs may be damaged as well; scar tissue, problems with the passage of material within the colon among others are some of the other complications.
However, these issues occur rarely and resections are performed very successfully and quite regularly by surgeons.
I am facing a problem of indigestion since last one month. Consulted doctors and done tests. The test results shows high SGPT and SGOT levels with presence of occult blood in stool. I am taking medicines and the situation has improved but not cured completely. Still facing a problem of severe gas formation. Please help.
Am able to feel some kind of skin formed near the anus. Is it symbolisation for piles. But am not suffering from any pain, blood motions or other symptoms of piles. Can you please suggest me what is that and the further process.
5 Ways to alleviate nighttime heartburn
Nighttime heartburn is a very common medical condition that causes a burning sensation in the chest region due to excessive acidity in the digestive system. This condition is witnessed very often in people and mostly it tends to awaken people from their sleep thereby disrupting their sleep patterns. Here are some effective ways to cure and prevent heartburn sensations during the night time.
1. Avoid acidity triggering foods: You should avoid the foods and drinks which are harsh on your digestive system and cause acidity and heartburn related problems during the night time. Some of the common foods and drinks responsible for nighttime heartburn and need to be avoided are alcohol, caffeinated drinks like colas, coffee and tea, chocolate and cocoa, peppermint, garlic, onions, milk, fatty, spicy, greasy, or fried foods and acidic foods like citrus or tomato products.
2. Follow a proper exercising pattern: You should never exercise immediately after having your meals. Instead, a considerable amount of a time gap should exist between your meal and your workout session. Do not ever eat a heavy meal before you exercise, because in spite of giving a time gap the richness of the food will adversely affect your digestive system.
3. Quit smoking habits: If you are a chronic/chain smoker, then you might witness the blockage of your gastrointestinal tract (digestive passages), which will further degrade and worsen the heartburn condition. Easier said than done, smoking is an addictive behaviour and you should be taking special care to lessen it and ultimately quit smoking.
4. Develop a chewing habit: If you are facing a chronic and regular heartburn problem, then you should definitely try excessive chewing of materials like gums. Chewing helps to generate excessive amounts of saliva during the act and the saliva, in turn, helps to soothe the acidic activities in your esophagus, thereby decreasing the probability of frequent heartburns.
5. Adopt weight loss measure: Sometimes, excessive body weight is also one of the potential factors responsible for causing frequent heartburns. But, if you shed a couple of kilograms from your body, then you will surely witness a relative decline in the symptoms of heartburn during night. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a gastroenterologist and ask a free question.