Lybrate.com has an excellent community of Gynaecologists in India. You will find Gynaecologists with more than 43 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Gynaecologists online in Delhi and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Management of Abortion
Caesarean Section Procedure
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Termination Of Pregnancy Procedure
Treatment Of Pregnancy Problems
Well Woman Healthcheck
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Treatment Of Medical Diseases In Pregnancy
Treatment Of Menstrual Problems
Intra-Uterine Insemination (IUI) Treatment
Medical Termination Of Pregnancy (Mtp) Procedure
Gynecology Laparoscopy Procedures
Pap Smear Procedure
Submit a review for Dr. Shalini SharmaYour feedback matters!
6 Reasons Pre-marital Counselling is Crucial for Indian Couples
A study published in the Journal of Family Psychology reveals that couples who opt for pre-marital counselling experience higher levels of conjugal satisfaction than couples who don’t go for it. Moreover, these couples, experience a 30% drop in the possibility of divorce over a 5-year period.
Pre-marital counselling is a wise choice as it can help you and your partner to better understand the dynamics of your relationship and build the foundation of a happy future together.
A pre-marital counselling helps you with the following factors-
- Hygiene: Apart from stressing on the importance of personal health and hygiene, you would also hear a gynaecologist, emphasizing on the significance of sexual hygiene for a problem-free married life. While preventing infections that may affect your reproductive system, maintaining sexual hygiene can also significantly elevate the overall hygiene levels of your entire body.
- Sex: Pre-marital sex counselling is essential as it helps to fill in the gaps in your knowledge of sex. During your consultation with a gynaecologist, you can expect to receive information about the male and female anatomy as well as about the actual act. Even thoughts like “sex can be painful” get addressed during the counselling.
- Contraceptives: Counselling sessions with a gynaecologist can also help you in getting your facts right about pregnancy. He or she could guide you on how to work out safe and unsafe days to have sex; talk to you about contraceptive methods; and best family planning practices.
- Folic acid for pregnancy: During a counselling session, you can expect to be encouraged by a gynaecologist to have Vitamin B (folic acid) before and during your pregnancy to avert birth defects in the brain and spinal cord of your potential offspring.
- Vaccines: Opting for a counselling session before marriage can help you to learn about vaccines that will protect you against cervical cancer (cancer of the cervix caused mainly by HPV- a virus) and rubella (a disease caused by the rubella virus, which can cause miscarriage, birth defects and stillbirth).
- Medical investigations: You should also expect investigations based on the following tests-
- Complete blood count test: The aim of this test is to assess your overall health and identify a range of disorders such as anaemia, leukaemia, and infection to name a few.
- Fasting/blood sugar test: The test is performed to diagnose diabetes. A fasting blood glucose level of less than 100mg/dl is considered normal.
- Thyroid stimulating hormone test: This test is taken to check for problems in the thyroid gland.
- Rubella test: It is used to identify antibodies that are formed in the blood, as a result of immunisation or the rubella infection.
- HPLC (high performance liquid chromatography): The test is performed to determine Thalassemia.
- Urine microscopy: The test helps in determining the condition of your urinary tract and kidney. It identifies injury, presence of disease or inflammation of these areas. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a Psychologist.
One of my inner labia is noticeably bigger than the other. I am a virgin. I am not sexually active. I have noticed it when I was 13 years old. Doctor Please tell me its normal or not? I am so worried. Please help.
There are technical ways in which you can get your body all set for labour. Although you may not know how your labour will progress, you can ease the pain that you experience during childbirth to a significant extent by doing these four exercises:
1. Kegel Exercises: These exercises target the muscles that provide support to your bladder, uterus, urethra and rectum. By strengthening the muscles of the pelvic floor, these exercises help in improving the flow of blood to your vaginal and rectal area. Kegel exercises involve contracting of the muscles of your pelvic floor as you would do if you had to prevent passing urine or stool. It is also known to reduce the duration of the pushing stage of childbirth, which is the second stage. You can do the exercises sitting or standing and in either of the two ways-
Slow kegel: For this, contract the muscles of your pelvic floor and hold them for 3-10 seconds. Release and repeat the exercise for ten times.
Fast kegel: To do this, you need to contract and loosen up your pelvic muscles 25-50 times. Do the set for about 4 times with 5 seconds interval between each set.
2. Squatting: Practising squatting during your pregnancy can help in preparing your pelvic muscles for labour. While strengthening your thighs, it opens up your pelvis for an easy descent of the baby. So, here’s what you should do:
1. Begin by standing behind a chair for support with your feet wide apart
2. While contracting your abdominal muscles, relax your shoulders and chest before lowering your tailbone towards the floor
3. While inhaling and exhaling deeply, push into your legs and go back into a standing position
3. Pelvic Tilt: This exercise helps in strengthening the muscles of your back, pelvis and thigh regions while improving posture. Ensuring your pelvic joints remain flexible, it eases the pain experienced during delivery. Here’s how it’s done:
1. Get down on both your hands and knees while keeping your head in a parallel position with your back
2. While arching your back, pull in your stomach
3. Hold this position for a few seconds before releasing
The exercise needs to be repeated 3-5 times - all the while maintaining a strong hold over your back and stomach.
4. Tailor Pose: The tailor pose is designed to help relax your hip joints as well as open up the pelvis. It also helps in improving your body posture while easing the aches that occur in the lower part of your back. For this, you need to perform the following steps:
1. While keeping your back straight, sit comfortably on the floor
2. Placing the soles of both the feet together, press your knees gently towards the floor
3. Keep the position for 10-15 seconds. You can repeat the exercise for 5-10 times. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a Gynaecologist.
I have unprotected sex today and yesterday was the last day of my gf periods and she is taking crimson 35 since 2 month so the periods may regular, so should I need to give her i-pill or she should continue on crimson 35, which one will she have to take both or one of two and which one?
Having a surgery, big or small, will subject your body to a certain degree of pain. Post-operative care, hence, is of paramount importance. You'll have a surgical wound where the surgeon has made an incision. To ensure that it heals quickly and to reduce the risk of an infection, it is important that you care for your wound area and keep a regular check for unusual signs and symptoms.
Let us take a step back to understand the normal process of how a wound heals. At first, there will be inflammation during the first week when blood flow to your wound increases. This is a crucial care period as your wound is still fresh. The second phase is proliferation where new blood vessels and tissue begin to grow around the area.
The third and final phase is maturation where new cells develop to strengthen the wound and soften the scar. Depending on the location and size of your wound, your surgeon may have used stitches (medically called sutures), metal clips or staples, adhesive dressing, tape or glue. Stitches, clips and staples are usually removed between three and fourteen days after your treatment. Here is how you can care for your surgical incision:
- Change your dressing regularly: Most patients are called to the hospital at regular intervals during the first week for change of dressing two or three times. The nurse or doctor ensures a sterile environment during the process. If you find your dressing falling of late night and you can't go to the hospital, you can wash your hands thoroughly and open a new sterile dressing package and apply to your wound. At all times, touch only the edges of your old / new dressing.
- General care for your incision site: Keep the incision site as clean and dry as possible. Keep it covered with plastic during a shower if it is on your hands or legs or take a sponge bath until you get a green signal from your doctor. Protect the incision from sunlight. Some incisions may get itchy as they heal. This is quite common, but it is important not to scratch your incision during this period.
- Eating and drinking properly to heal quickly: Vitamin C and Proteins are important as they aid in healing of wounds. Eat a healthy and balanced diet, which includes a variety of lean meat, fish, eggs, dairy products, fruit and vegetables. Make sure that you drink enough water because if you're dehydrated, your wound may take longer to heal.
- Look for signs of infection: The common signs of an infection are redness, swelling, unusual drainage, warmth around the incision site increased pain or tenderness at the incision, incision opens up or a fever of more than 100.4 degrees Fahrenheit.
Hi goodmrng Dr. I am paul n my friend is sunita she does not have monthly period she used to after two or three month she has checked up already if she take medicine then she used to have monthly waist if she stop taking medicine then its stays same.
The burning sensation only affects my hands and feet. It starts when I am trying to go to sleep and it also wakes me up during the night. I either use a fan or cold, wet, rags to help ease it. There are times that nothing helps. Some nights I can not sleep at all. What do you call this and what can be done for it?
Gout is a type of arthritis, which can affect your joints, though usually, it causes maximum harm to your big toe. Symptoms that you are having a bout of gout include having a stiffness and swelling of the joint in question. The pain is very sudden and also causes a burning sensation. Gout is basically a recurrent type of inflammatory arthritis. However, the pain associated with gout can be remedied by Ayurveda.
Here are some of the best Ayurvedic remedies which can be used:
- Panchatikta Ghrita Guggulu: Panchatikta Ghrita Guggulu is the most common and most widely recommended treatment for gout. However, it needs to be taken on an empty stomach. It is also worth note that it works best when teaspoons of it are taken two times a day with warm milk.
- Kaishore Guggulu: Kaishore guggulu is a type of medicine, which should be accompanying Panchatikta Ghrita Guggulu. It Is usually administered after some initial relief is felt from Panchatikta Ghrita Guggulu. Its best to consume this medicine in tablet form thrice a day.
- Shallaki: This Ayurvedic remedy is great for decreasing the pain in the joints affected. It also decreases the swelling in those joints, which have been affected by the bout of gout. Shallaki is also crucial in making sure that cartilage forms and that the blood supply to the joint which is affected by gout is still stable.
- Ashwagandha: Ashwagandha is medically known as Withania Somnifera. In the West, Ashwagandha is popularly known as Winter Cherry. Also, it has a lot of therapeutic properties, which include reducing joint pains and also inflammation of muscles. This herb can also work wonders on your blood circulation.
- Pinda Taila: This is a type of oil which needs to be applied externally. Pinda Taila is a very rare class of medicines which treats gout externally. Pinda Taila or Guduchyadi Taila is administered by rubbing it on the body part affected.
If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a specilized ayurveda and ask a free question.
Hey doc yesterday after a long time with my boyfriend I got in moody situation and my sperm has been erected but after that my legs was paining so much when I sleep what's the problem can you suggest ?
Vaginal bleeding stands for blood loss from the vagina (including the vaginal wall) or uterus. Marking the beginning of a new reproductive cycle, normal vaginal bleeding (menstruation) takes place every 21-35 days.
It is regarded abnormal if it takes place
- Outside of your normal menstruation period
- When you’re pregnant
- After menopause
- Menstrual flow is heavier or lighter than normal
Common Causes of Unexpected Vaginal Bleeding:
1. Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS)
If your body’s hormone production is out of balance, it brings about a disruption in the normal ovulation (monthly discharge of an egg) cycle, causing abnormal vaginal bleeding.
2. Pelvic Inflammatory Disease (PID)
Infection or inflammation of the female reproductive organs namely, uterus, ovaries or fallopian tubes as a result of sexually transmitted bacteria can lead to abnormal bleeding. The problem occurs when the bacterial infection spreads from the vagina into these parts of the reproductive system. More importantly, inflammation of these areas can also bring about vaginal bleeding particularly after sexual intercourse.
3. Intrauterine Device (IUD)
The use of Intrauterine Device (a birth control tool that is inserted into the uterus to prevent future pregnancy) can also cause vaginal bleeding like spotting (light bleeding between periods) or heavy periods.
Any hormonal medications, containing Estrogen or Progesterone (eg: certain birth control pills), when taken irregularly or indiscriminately, may lead to hormonal imbalance, leading to abnormal bleeding.
5. Early Pregnancy
Another very important cause of abnormal bleeding in women of reproductive age group is - Pregnancy. Any abnormal pregnancy or early pregnancy with certain defects, can lead to abnormal bleeding even though you may not yet be aware of the pregnancy. Usually, it is the first condition to be investigated in a woman with abnormal uterine bleeding, in reproductive age group.
Apart from these common causes, abnormal vaginal bleeding can also happen due to:
6. Thyroid Disorders
Changes in your menstrual cycle as a result of the hormonal imbalance brought on by an underactive thyroid gland (hypothyroidism) or an overactive thyroid (hyperthyroidism) can lead to irregular bleeding patterns.
7. Uterine fibroids
Abnormal growths in the uterus or on its surface can lead to unexpected vaginal bleeding (longer or heavier periods and bleeding between periods).
8. Cancer of the reproductive organs
Cancer of the uterus, ovaries, vagina or cervix is also known to be an uncommon cause of abnormal vaginal bleeding. The blood loss can take place after sexual intercourse or between one menstrual cycle and the next.
I want to do sex with my girlfriend and she also want to do it with me but we r afraid from pregnancy so. Please help me to know what we have to do from that she will not pregnant n we can easily enjoy our first sex?
Im pregnant of 34 weeks. Baby's weight is 2029+/-340gms as per usg report. What should I do to increase baby's weight?
Working out is more of a habit than anything else. While making a start is the easy part, continuing it for a longer duration to get effective results is the hard thing. The trick is to have the same amount of motivation and enthusiasm going every day.
Here is a list of tricks that will convince you to follow your workout schedule on a daily basis:
- Compete with others: A goal of getting fit by x date may not be the best motivation. Instead, compete with others. Take part in a CrossFit competition or an obstacle race. There are competitions which take money to enrol. Participating in events like this will help you to be more focused in the endeavour to compete with others.
- Motivational songs: Songs are a great tonic for people who have just started working out. Get all your favorite songs on your iPod and hit the ground running. Make sure you keep changing songs every alternate day. Listening to the same songs every day while working out can be monotonous.
- Put personal stuff on the line: You can keep the money, movie tickets or a basketball to your friend’s place on the condition that if you manage to reach your goals, you will take it back. This will convince you to put your best efforts while working out. People tend to work more when they know that personal belongings are on the line. If you are tech savvy, you can bet on apps such as pact and dietet.com. Both these apps work on similar lines.
- Workout for a cause: Self-motivation is a hard thing to achieve. You can sweat for a charity of your choice. This way you feel accountable to a lot of many people who are counting on you. The fear of letting someone down will convince you to workout daily and put your best efforts every day.
- Let go of your sleeping clothes: The comfortable pyjamas or the cozy blanket can kill your motivation of getting up early in the morning. One good way to tackle this is to sleep in your workout clothes. This will constantly keep you reminded about the job in hand.
- Click pictures: The scale reading of your waist can be deceiving. Click pictures instead and compare them every month. This way you will see a visible result, which in turn will motivate you to give your best.
- Let someone monitor you: Working out alone can be boring. Let a friend or an instructor monitor you for the first few months. This way you will be under constant supervision and answerable to someone in case you miss your workout on odd days.
If you wish to discuss about any specific eye problem, you can consult the doctor and ask a free question.
In the realm of sexual relations, Incest is one of the longing social taboos. In order to curb this social taboo, many governments have introduced law banning incest. Basically, this is a sexual relationship between those who are blood-related, which is also called as Consanguineous relationship. This is also called as Genetic Sexual Attraction (GSA) which can be between siblings, half siblings, donor children, adoptees, biological mother and father, nephew and so on. This is a social evil, and experts have some remedies so that you can deal with genetic sexual attraction.
According to an article published in Spanish Magazine AFIN in July 2013, separation of siblings for quite a long time is one of the known causes for genetic sexual attraction. At the same time, the magazine points out that there are instances that even those who are not separated have this mania of genetic sexual attraction. Some of the other interesting aspects of GSA can be explained as follows:
It is said that children who grow in close proximity since their childhood develop reverse sexual attitude or imprinting with their siblings, parents and with other consanguineous relationships. This reverse sexual attitude actually suppresses sexual desire with consanguineous relationship. This theory is also called as Westermarck Effect. This can be the pointer to the question How to deal with Genetic Sexual Attraction because consanguineous relationship separated for years may not have the Westermarck Effect.
It is pointed out that when siblings who are separated for long duration of time are sexually mature when they meet each other. In other words, they were not members of the nuclear family, and this long absence can attract each other for a closer relationship. In addition to this, the siblings are biologically and mentally so grown up that they have made their own hard imprint of their character, taste and so on. It is a combination of these factors that makes them an exception to the Westermarck effect.
Symptoms of GSA:
Extreme awareness about the other person, hard desire to stay or talk, distractible behavior, unnecessary talking, holding hands or touching or making use of every opportunity to have some kind of physical contact, daydreaming are some of the known symptoms of GSA.
One of the ideal remedies for those suffering from GSA is to seek help of appropriate medical fraternity in the earliest possible time. This is one of the most ideal approaches to deal with genetic sexual attraction. It is also suggested that you should ensure that the siblings meet at regular intervals. This can help the siblings to have Westermarck Effect. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a doctor and ask a free question.
Dip your gentle Nails into warm Olive oil every once in a while for 15-20 minutes to make them hard.