Lybrate.com has a number of highly qualified Gynaecologists in India. You will find Gynaecologists with more than 26 years of experience on Lybrate.com. Find the best Gynaecologists online in New Delhi. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. Shalini Jain
Submit a review for Dr. Shalini JainYour feedback matters!
There are certain glands in the vaginal walls and uterine cervix of a woman, which cleanse the vagina by producing a small amount of fluid. This clear or milky white coloured vaginal discharge is normal for a healthy woman if it doesn’t smell unpleasant. But if you observe that the colour, consistency, odour or amount of your vaginal discharge differs from usual, it may indicate an infection or a disease.
Here are 6 common factors behind abnormal vaginal discharge.
1. Bacterial Vaginosis
Bacterial vaginosis is a medical condition characterised by agray discharge, which has a lingering fish-like odour. Moreover, if you experience irritation and burning sensation in the vagina, which is increased by intercourse, it’s a strong indication of bacterial vaginosis.
2. Yeast Infection
It often happens that your vaginal area’s natural bacterial balance is disturbed due to certain factors such as use of antibiotics, decreased immunity, stress, uncontrolled diabetes or consumption of excessive sugary foods. This results in yeast overgrowth in the vagina, known as simply yeast infection or candidiasis. It’s characterised by a thick and whitish-grey discharge from the vagina.
Caused by the bacteria Neisseria Gonorrhoea, this sexually transmitted disease (STD) is an infection, which causes vaginal discharge of an intense odour. Other symptoms of this disease include feeling of pain while urinating, chills, fever and irregular discharge of menstrual fluids. If left untreated, gonorrhoea can transform into a pelvic inflammatory disease and can even lead to infertility.
4. Genital Herpes
Genital herpes, a sexually transmitted disease (STD) that leads to formation of small watery blisters on the vaginal area, and causes irritation, itching and pain while having intercourse or urinating, may also be the cause of a vaginal discharge of watery texture.
5. Atrophic Vaginitis
After menopause, there’s a considerable decrease in oestrogen levels of the body along with the occurrence of changes in tissues of the vaginal cavity. This medical condition, known as atrophic vaginitis, can lead to a watery vaginal discharge, which can sometimes get bloody. Some other symptoms of this disease are vaginal inflammation and thinning or atrophy of tissues.
6. Infected IUD
In some situations, it may happen that the intrauterine device (IUD- a form of contraceptive) inserted in the body of a woman can get infected. This results in a purulent discharge (pus) from the vagina. Getting the IUD removed as soon as possible is the best thing to be done in this situation. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a Gynaecologist.
Would you like to share this interesting fact with family or friends? Go ahead and Share!
Sir, my wife is 22 yr old. We have a female baby of 2.5 year old.* she has inserted by copper t before 6 months .At present we are going for family planning by tubectomy. The people say after few years these ladies will suffer by by many diseases related to uterus etc. What may be the safety measure .please suggest.
My penis head has become really dry.And a little itchy.It feels almost like unlubricated. I had an intercourse with a friend and she said that her organs been dry and itchy from sometime. Though i used protection i feel thats the reason i got this infection. The skin surrounding the organ has become flaky and burning.Please suggest me a solution. I'm confused and frightened. Thank you.
Hi im now three months post pregnancy can you suggest me how can I reduce my stomach, can I do diet now ,or can you suggest what should I eat for my reducing my weight as well as how can I get my baby proteins.
Hello mam I am 30 years old, and marriage ko 2 years ho gae hai. Ab hum baby plan krna chahte hai, last month 14 June ko periods aye the, mujhe kuch dino se legs pain ho rha tha, 3 day pahle pregnancy test kiya tha, but negative aya, but ab 2- 3 din se nabhi k niche pain ho rha gai and morning me loose motion bhi. Aisa kyu ho rha hai, kya mai dubara pregnancy check jr sakti hu. And please tell me k pregnancy k liye week me kitni var sex kr sakte hai, jis se mai jaldi pregnant ho jau.
It is common for most of us to wonder how some celebrities just don't seem to age, both in terms of looks and physique. It is not easy and requires in addition to a lot of hard work, loads of determination and self-constraints to achieve that. however, different bodies react differently to different food items and there is no one size that fits all. Though media claims and promotes various celebrity diet plans, but a word of caution. A detailed physical examination and discussion should be done with your dietician to identify what will work best for you. Listed below are some things that has helped celebrities to lose weight.
- Regular, well balanced meals: It is popular belief and advise that eating regular, small proportioned meals with the right mix of protein, carbs, and fats is the best way to lose weight. Of course, there have to be supplements to this including a good workout regime, reduced alcohol, reduced refined sugars, etc., but most people believe starving to be skinny is not the healthy way to go. Another good rule to follow is the 80/20 rule that is enforce discipline and let 80% of your food be nutritious and 20% can be damaging (chocolate cake included!). Most would also set a daily intake target and keep a count of the calories that are ingested.
- Increased fiber: Be it greens or vegetables, fruits, or dry fruits, added fiber makes you feel full and reduces the amount of food ingested. Atkins diet, which pumps your body with fiber for 3 consecutive days helps by flushing out a lot of toxins and is one of the most widely followed detox diet plans.
- Flush out with Lime Juice: Beginning your day with a glass of lime juice and warm water is supposed to flush out the toxins and reduce weight. Adding ginger and mint is believed to make this work better.
- Replace red meat with chicken: While chicken is believed to increase the protein intake levels, reducing red meat is believed to help reduce weight.
- Do away with the dairy: A lot of dairy products, which forms the main source of proteins, especially for vegetarians is believed to add to the weight. If weight loss is your goal, then dairy should stay out of your food diary.
A lot of celebrities also use natural boosters and suppressants to reduce appetite. Removing alkaline food items from your menu, gluten laden foods, alcohol, refined carbs, are followed as well. Weight loss supplements are another option, but should be used only under supervision and as a last resort. As mentioned, celebrity diet patterns should not be followed blindly. They are highly personalized and seek advice before adapting it.
I am 20 week pregnant and fetus is diagnosed with congenital diaphragmatic hernia what should I do now? I conceived with ivf.
Hypogonadism in females occurs when your sex glands produce little or no sex hormones.The sex glands, also called gonads that are responsible for ovary formation in females, breast enlargement and in menstrual cycle.
What Are the Types of Female Hypogonadism?
There two types of hypogonadism are primary and central hypogonadism.
Primary Hypogonadism: Primary hypogonadism means that you don't have enough sex hormones in your body due to a problem in your gonads. Your gonads are still receiving the message to produce hormones from your brain, but they aren't able to produce them.
Central Hypogonadism or Secondary Hypogonadism: In central hypogonadism, the problem lies in your brain. The hypothalamus and pituitary gland in your brain, which control your gonads, aren't working properly.
Causes of Primary Hypogonadism:
- Autoimmune disorders, such as Addison's disease and hypoparathyroidism
- Genetic disorders, such as Turner syndrome and Klinefelter syndrome
- Severe infections
- Liver and kidney diseases
- Hemochromatosis, which happens when your body absorbs too much iron
- Radiation exposure
- Surgery of your sex organs
Causes of Central or Secondary Hypogonadism include:
- Genetic disorders, such as Kallmann syndrome (abnormal hypothalamic development)
- Infections, including HIV and AIDS
- Pituitary disorders
- Inflammatory diseases including sarcoidosis, tuberculosis, and histiocytosis
- Rapid weight loss
- Nutritional deficiencies
- Use of steroids or opiates (especially long-term usage)
- Brain surgery
- Radiation exposure
- Injury to your pituitary gland or hypothalamus
- A tumor in or near your pituitary gland
Symptoms that May Affect Females Include:
- Lack of menstruation
- Slow or absent breast growth
- Hot flashes
- Loss of body hair
- Low or absent sex drive
- Milky discharge from your breasts
Treatment for Hypogonadism in Women: Your treatment will involve increasing the amount of female sex hormones in your body. Your first line of treatment will probably be estrogen therapy if you've had a hysterectomy. Either a patch or pill can administer the supplemental estrogen hormone. Estrogen must be balanced with progesterone, because taking estrogen alone leads to a dangerous build up of the lining of the uterus (endometrial hyperplasia) that can lead to cancer of the uterus. Low-dose testosterone may be added for women with hypogonadism who have a low sex drive. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a doctor and ask a free question.