Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. Shalabh
Cysts Removal Procedure
Treatment of Tonsils (Tonsillitis)
Hearing Aid Fitting
Treatment of Throat and Voice Problems
Earlobe Repair Procedure
Treatment of Sleep Disturbance
Nose Reshaping Procedure
Hearing Testing Techniques
Nasal And Sinus Allergy Care
Cochlear Implant Procedure
Ear Micro Surgery
Treatment Of Hearing Deficiency
Facial Cosmetic Surgery
Submit a review for Dr. ShalabhYour feedback matters!
Patient Review Highlights
Ear wax is mainly natural oil secreted by the ears so that no dust particles or harmful microorganisms can enter the organ. But sometimes, discharge is noticed from the ear that can happen due to some reasons. The fluid can get discharged from the ear due to infection or can also happen due to rupture of the ear drum. Such discharge is also known as otorrhea if talked in medical term. Also, sometimes due to nostril congestion or even for some accident or trauma, such discharge may take place.
Symptoms noticed in ear discharge
Ear discharge can be anything such as wax or blood or any other fluid.
• The color of the discharge may range from white to yellow or even gray.
• Also at times, the discharge may have a foul smell if it is due to some bacterial infection.
• The discharge may get accompanied by ear pain, fever, and headache.
Both in kids and adults, this can lead to an extreme level of discomfort that may lead to failure in hearing at times.
Causes of ear discharge
There can be some causes for ear discharge to happen. Some of the causes are:
• Excess amount of wax in the ear,
• Rupture of the eardrum due to some injury,
• High noise pollution,
• Spending extra time in water,
• Infection caused by bacteria,
• Inflammation or damage to the Eustachian tubes,
• Infection due to inflammation of adenoids,
• Increased atmospheric pressure.
Treatments of ear discharge
If the discharge is due to excess amount of wax, then this problem can get cured after some time on cleaning. But if it is due to some other problems, then it needs treatment. In normal circumstances, if it is just the initial stage, then the doctor may suggest some antibiotics. Also, ear drops are suggested to treat the ear drum, or even a vinegar solution can be suggested.
But in the case of an extreme situation, when the problem has increased, surgery is the solution. The doctor inserts a tiny tube that connects the outer ear to the middle ear through the ear drum, and this process is known as bilateral myringotomy.
Prevention from ear discharge
Though now there are several ways to treat such problem, of course, prevention is always better than cure.
• Ear should not be cleaned with any pointed object,
• Scratching the ears with sharp object can also cause problems,
• Use muffs while traveling in place where atmospheric pressure may change,
• After swimming or even after a bath, you should carefully dry your ears,
• Smoking causes ear infection that leads to such complications,
Ear infection or ear discharge can thus get caused due to some reasons, and hence proper prevention can help in staying away from it. But in case if you suffer from such causes, it is necessary to visit the doctor without any further delays. In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
Whether it is for kids or adults, an ear infection can be of great discomfort and intense pain. The pain can also be because of an excess amount of wax in the ear. If it is so, then after cleaning off the wax, the discomfort may go off. But there can also be times when the pain is due to an infection. In this case, it is an ideal thought to visit a doctor. But before visiting a doctor, if the pain arises in the middle of the night suddenly, there are some things that can be done to ease out the pain.
- Pain relievers: If the pain is intense, then, of course, the first, foremost thing that comes to mind is that of pain relievers. Pain relievers such as nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medicines or acetaminophen can be taken both in the case of kids as well as adults. Aspirin should not be given to anyone who is lesser than 20 years of age as because aspirin many times may lead to a disease called Reye syndrome.
- Applying heat: If the pain is not so strong, then taking pain relievers can be avoided. Instead of taking in pain relievers, an easier way can be of applying heat to the ear. A soft cotton cloth can be taken and can be warmed to apply on the ears. It is very important to know that moisture should be kept away from the ear in this condition so to warm the cloth, you should use other ways in place of using warm water.
- Encouraging rest: Often the pain may get increased due to intense work or noise. So, rest can help in getting relief from the pain in some time. You should try to sleep at a place that is away from any noise. Often resting may help the body to handle the pain and hence the pain may get reduced down slowly. Using the heat therapy while taking rest, can also be a great way to get rid of the pain of ear infections.
- Using eardrops: When you visit the doctor, of course, the doctor will prescribe you with an eardrop. But also many experts suggest a vinegar solution as an eardrop for pain due to an ear infection. Though this is a natural remedy still is ideal to consult the doctor first so that there is no severe condition that may come up. It is because the infection may take place due to different reasons and hence it is important to cross check about various things before starting with medication.
Ear infections can happen due to any reasons from the hundreds of reasons. Consulting the doctor is, of course, the most important thing to do in this case, but at initial stages, the ways mentioned above can provide relief.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
Research published recently has proved beyond a sliver of doubt that there is a strong link between addressing hearing loss and quality of life. Research shows that people with hearing loss who use hearing aids have better mental health, fewer symptoms of depression, and better social engagement. There is also an undeniable link between untreated hearing loss and mood swings. When left unaddressed, hearing loss is frequently associated with mood swings that affect a person’s social, professional and marital relations.
A study published in JAMA found that hearing loss is especially linked to an increased risk of depression in the age group of 18-69 years. Hearing loss and impaired mental health is known to affect the quality of life of elderly patients more. People in old age with hearing loss are 57 percent more likely to have episodes of stress and depression than their peers with normal hearing. And significant studies have proved that these cases can be reversed using hearing aids.
Using a professionally fitted hearing aid can ease the stress associated with intensive listening and it improves communication significantly in people affected by hearing loss. Because of these findings, health professionals believe that hearing aids can improve the quality of life, especially in older adults with hearing loss and are rooting for mandatory testing for hearing loss amongst all age groups and especially in older adults.
The other benefits of hearing aids-reasons for getting a hearing aid are-
1. Feeling positive: People with hearing loss who use hearing aids are more likely to be happy and engaged in life.
2. Living fully: People with hearing aids get more pleasure in doing simple things like watching TV and talking with friends etc. This helps in upping their overall quality of life.
3. Stronger relationships: Hearing aids allow people to engage in group activities and improve their quality of life.
4. Improved communication: Man is a social animal. He needs to communicate. As hearing aids help people listen and distinguish sounds, it improves their communication skills. Their speech improves which means that people can understand what they are saying better and are more motivated to speak with them. This reduces social isolation of the hearing loss affected person substantially.
5. Reduced risk of income loss: Wearing hearing aids at work helps people with especially milder hearing loss to perform optimally and stop downsizing.
In short, treatment of hearing loss using hearing aids can improve-
• Family relationships
• Your ability to communicate
• Your earning power
• Control over your life
• Social participation
• Emotional well-being
This is why everyone should invest in a hearing test at least once a year. This will help catch hearing loss earlier and prevent aural deterioration.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
Do you snore too much while you sleep? Does your snoring give others a hard time? Snoring is caused because of the vibration of soft tissues and muscles that make up your upper airways. Working out these muscles help in the management of snoring. These soft tissues and muscles stay floppy when you are snoring. The tightening of these muscles helps in reducing the level of floppiness, which results in reduced snoring. There are several simple mouth exercises that are considered to be effective in dealing with snoring. Several researches and experiments have been carried out in order to prove the effectiveness of these exercises in controlling snoring.
The most important and common mouth exercises that help stop your snoring are as follows:
- The tongue slide
- You have to push the tip of your tongue against the roof of your mouth, or the hard palate.
- After this, you simply should slide your tongue backwards. You should repeat this around 20 times.
- The roof smash
- In order to practice this exercise, you need to turn your tongue in the upwards directions, and press the whole tongue against flush with the hard palate.
- This should be repeated 20 times.
- Tongue carpet
- Say aah!
- You need to lift your soft palate, at the back of your mouth’s roof and uvula, similar to how you open your mouth during a throat inspection.
- The cheek push
- You need to insert your right index finger into the mouth, while pressing the inside of your finger against your left cheek’s length.
- You should engage your cheek muscle and try to return the pressure back on your finger.
- This should be repeated 10 times on each side.
- Even chewing
- It is important for you to chew evenly even you eat any form of food.
- You should alternate both sides of your mouth while chewing and swallowing food.
Similar to any form of exercise, you need to practice these mouth exercises on a regular basis to gain benefits and observe positive results. Unless you practice them strictly and continuously, you may not experience any change in your snoring patterns and intensity. You should try incorporating these exercises into your daily schedule. You may do a set after brushing your teeth, or during evening commutes.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
Dizziness is now a very common problem among the adults. Maybe people do not take this to be a serious problem in many of the cases, but repeated feeling of dizziness may lead them to visit a doctor. When in the case of such situation, you visit a general physician, not knowing the causes of such problem; often the doctor will refer you to an ENT. There have been some reasons of why you should visit an ENT for dizziness.
Symptoms of Dizziness
Often dizziness occurs along with some other symptoms too. Some of the symptoms that are accompanied by dizziness are:
Some Important Reasons for Dizziness
If you are facing dizziness on regular grounds, then it may happen that it is due to some very serious health complications that you are suffering from. Some of the problems that may cause dizziness are:
Inner ear issues,
- Issues in the central nervous system,
- Issues related to the cardiovascular system,
- Bacterial or viral infection,
- Side effects of any medicine.
Diagnosis of The Problem
Diagnosis of the problem is the most important step in case of dizziness. It is because the diagnosis is not about whether you are feeling dizzy or not, it is the diagnosis about why you are feeling dizzy. There are some tests related to balance to diagnose the cause of dizziness. To get the tests done related to balance, you need to visit an ENT because the balance system of the human body is there located in the inner ear.
Treatment of The Problem
After several tests of various sensory organs, when the ENT expert reaches a particular result, then the treatment starts depending upon the diagnosis. Today treatment for such balance disorder or dizziness has become common. Some problems can get solved by a changed diet only while other may need the help of medicines. Again, some of the problems may get cured by doing exercises while for some; you may need the help of a physiotherapist too.
When it is about dizziness, it is surely about balance disorder due to some major problems. Balance is controlled from with the inner eye and other sensory organs also, hence it is important to visit the ENT in this case. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult an Ent Specialist.
A nosebleed also called epistaxis medically is normally not dangerous, but if you are old nosebleeds come with a number of risks. Treating a bloody nose incorrectly can only make it more dangerous, because of prolonged bleeding. Before we explain the ways to stop nosebleeds, let’s take a look at its causes:
Nosebleeds usually start from just inside the entrance of the nostril. But, why? Because the blood vessels here are quite fragile and are also prone to rupture easily. This is the reason why children suffer from nosebleeds so easily. Other common reasons are
A nosebleed usually lasts for about 10-20 minutes and is usually easy to treat. But in some conditions, this bleeding can be profuse and last longer like in cases of
Bleeding can sometimes also happen in areas further back in the nose due mostly to injuries and disorders of the nose.
Usually, nosebleeds can be stopped using simple first aid.
- Sitting up straight helps, especially along with tipping your head forward. It is vital that you don’t tip your head backwards as this can allow the blood to go down your throat and cause vomiting. And this can make your nosebleed worse. So, take care to spit out the blood in your mouth and not to swallow it.
- To stop a nosebleed, pinch the soft, cartilaginous part of your nose using your thumb and forefinger. Spraying your nose with a medicated nasal spray before pinching it can help the bleeding to stop faster. Apply pressure for 10 minutes to get results. Check if your nosebleed has stopped after 10 minutes if it’s not; apply pressure for another 10 minutes. Nosebleeds usually stop after 10 to 20 minutes of pressure.
- Use an ice pack to your nose and cheeks. This will constrict the blood vessels in the nose and stop the nosebleed.
- Use a saline- or water-based nasal gel inside your nose to stop bleeding.
- Remember not to blow your nose or insert anything into your nose for at least 12 hours after your nosebleed is over.
- If the bleeding doesn’t stop even after 20 minutes of applying direct pressure, it’s prudent to rush to a doctor. He will treat your nose to stop the bleeding.
- In a few rare cases, the bleeding is so severe that a blood transfusion is needed, and surgery may be needed to stop it. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult an Ent Specialist.
Swimmer’s ear is a condition, which is characterized by an infection in the outer ear. This infection usually stems from the water that remains in the ear after swimming, forming a moist environment that allows bacteria to grow and procreate. This condition can also develop if you happen to insert your finger or other foreign objects into the ears.
The symptoms of this disorder are usually mild in the beginning, but may worsen if left untreated. In its germinating stage, this condition exhibits symptoms such as itching in the ears and a watery discharge. If the disorder has progressed to an advanced stage, then the symptoms become slightly different. An intense pain on the particular side of the face, swelling in the ear and blockage of the ear canal are some of the common symptoms. In extreme cases, swelling of the lymph nodes and moderate to high fever can be indicative of this condition.
The causes of swimmer’s ear are bacteria that are found in soil and water. Your ears have a natural defense system against infections; glands in the ear secrete an acidic substance called ‘cerumen’ that kills the bacteria. The ear canal has a downward slope from the middle ear to the outer ear, thus allowing the water to drain out. Swimmer’s ear occurs when these defenses fail to work. This happens when there is excessive moisture in the ear canal, creating an environment for the bacteria to grow. In addition, certain factors such as swimming in dirty water, a narrow ear canal and excessive cleaning of the ear canal can lead to this condition.
The aim of the treatment is to prevent the infection from progressing and allow the ear to heal. The first step is to clean the ear canal so that the eardrops can reach the affected area. Once the ear is cleaned, eardrops are administered to get rid of the bacteria. The various medications that are used in the treatment of swimmer’s ear are:
1. Antibiotics: They are used to combat the bacteria that cause the infection.
2. Acidic solutions: It is used to restore the normal environment in the ear.
3. Steroids: These help in reducing the inflammation.
You may also be prescribed pain medications to treat the pain resulting from this condition. Try to avoid swimming till the condition heals completely. Make sure you aren’t inserting any foreign object in the ears as that may aggravate the situation further. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult an ent-specialist.
I am having nasal polyps or sinuses will I able to clear the medical check up of army. Am I fit to join the Indian army?
It is that time of the year when insects are all around. Suddenly one feels a buzzing sound or an itchy feel in the ear. To your horror, one feels a live insect is in your ear, which can be extremely annoying and is like a nightmare. Insects often get stuck when they enter our ears as they cannot fly or crawl out. They try to find their way out and their movements inside our ears can be very uncomfortable, painful and can be itchy as well. Moreover, they can easily produce infection.
In this scenario, do not try to remove an insect with cotton swab, tweezers or hair clip as it will make the situation worse and can lodge the insect deeper into the ear canal, which can possibly damag the eardrum, leading to permanent hearing loss. If an individual is not certain about the potential harm taht can be caused by the insect in the ear, one should seek medical care immediately. Insects in the ear are common reasons for visits to doctor's clinic, especially in children.
If one suspects an insect in ear, one may experience pain, swelling, blood or crackling. One may even feel biting, stinging, hearing loss or dizziness. It is best to stay calm in this situation as being active may lodge the bug further in ear or cause it to move further back or cause serious damage to the sensitive eardrum
One way to try to remove a bug in ear is by tilting the ear toward the ground and attempt to wiggle the ear. Grasp the earlobe and give it a wiggle. If the bug is not too far into ear canal, it may fall out on its own. If the bug is still alive and is not too far inside of the ear canal, it may simply come out on its own. If one stays calm and keep objects including fingers away from ears, it is likely that the bug will find its way back out of ear.
One can also try to flush the ear with warm water with a dropper or a bulb syringe. This can be done by holding head upright and stretching the ear canal by pulling the outer ear and then putting a steady stream of warm water into ear. Tilt head to the side to drain out the ear. Do not try this if one suspects that ear drum has been ruptured to prevent additional damage.
To avoid stinging or eardrum rupture from scratching or biting , one may use a drop or two of mineral, baby, or olive oil inside your ear canal to kill the insect. Finally, visit an ENT specialist doctor as they can remove the insect by special suction devices. Post insect removal, one must look out for signs of infection as swelling, dizziness, hearing loss, fever, and pain. Finally follow up with ENT specialist or Otolaryngologist for the final opinion.
A broken nose, often referred to as a fractured nose or a nasal fracture, it is a crack or break in the bones of your nose. The bone that is more prone to getting fractured is the one over the bridge of the nose.
There can be a lot of reasons for a broken nose. Common causes include falling down on your face or the nose being hit by a blunt object. Your nose may look twisted and you might have trouble breathing. A nasal fracture can cause pain in the nose and is usually accompanied by bruising and inflammation around the nose.
Any activity that tends to increase the possibility of facial injuries can also increase the possibility of a nasal fracture. The common risk factors include playing contact sports like soccer or rugby without proper face protection. Riding a two wheeler without a helmet or not using seat belt in a four wheeler can cause a nasal fracture if the vehicle meets with an accident. Physical fights can also result in a broken nose.
Symptoms and complications:
The common symptoms of a nasal fracture are:
- Pain in the nasal region. You may feel pain just by touching your nose.
- Swelling around the nasal region can also be observed.
- Your nose and the region below the eyes may be bruised.
- Sometimes you may experience breathing problems as well, since your nasal passage can be blocked due to a nasal fracture.
- Loss of shape of your nose along with bleeding and discharge of mucus from it are common signs of a nasal fracture.
There can be a lot of complications that can occur due to a broken nose. The complications may vary according to the nature of injury.
The common complications are:
- Clotting and collection of blood. Due to a heavy injury to your nose, the blood tends to clot in large quantities and sometimes can cause blockages in the nostrils. This condition is specifically referred to as septal hematoma and needs a quick surgical procedure to prevent any sort of breathing problems.
- Another complication that can result due to a nasal fractures nasal cartilage fracture or a deviation in the septum.
- Sometimes the impact of the blow, which has caused a fracture in the nose can also result in a neck injury.