Lybrate.com has a number of highly qualified Gynaecologists in India. You will find Gynaecologists with more than 30 years of experience on Lybrate.com. Find the best Gynaecologists online in Delhi. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Management of Abortion
Caesarean Section Procedure
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Termination Of Pregnancy Procedure
Treatment Of Pregnancy Problems
Well Woman Healthcheck
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Treatment Of Medical Diseases In Pregnancy
Treatment Of Menstrual Problems
Intra-Uterine Insemination (IUI) Treatment
Medical Termination Of Pregnancy (Mtp) Procedure
Gynecology Laparoscopy Procedures
Pap Smear Procedure
Submit a review for Dr. Savana ChongthamYour feedback matters!
Talking about the pros first:
1) Ketogenic diet known to control seizures:
From biblical times, it was known that fasting controls seizures. In a study conducted, it was found that 54% of the patients had complete control over seizures and 26% showed a marked decrease in seizures while on a ketogenic diet.
2) Ketosis helps in weight loss:
In one study of over 400 individuals over a period of a year, it was found that low-carbs diet was as effective as low-fat diets in weight loss. In the short term of six months, the individuals on a low carb diet had even lost on a average of 3.3 kgs greater than those on a low fat diet.
Thus, the low carb diet seems to be a good option for weight loss in the short term.
3) For the diabetes and prediabetes treatment:
As discussed before, the ketogenic diet reduces the blood sugar and thus it is an effective option in treatment and control of diabetes.
From one study on type 2 diabetes patients, after following a low-carbs diet, it was found that the insulin sensitivity improved by about 75%.
In another study the patients even reduced or discontinued their diabetes medication. They found that their glucose came under control after following the low carb ketogenic diet.
4) The ketogenic diet protects the brain:
Most of our brain can use ketones as fuel in times of starvation or low carb diet. This can take place as early as after 3 days of a starvation state.
Also, as discussed before, some children can have a condition where the glucose receptors in the brain are disrupted. Thus, getting energy from glucose might become an issue. Here they might go into seizures. Ketogenic diets bypass this mechanism and prevent this condition.
A lot of research also has given rise to possibility of treatment of alzheimer’s and dementia, by inculcating a ketogenic diet.
5) Protecting the heart, to an extent:
As seen earlier, on a high carb diet, excess glucose is stored in the muscles and liver. Additional glucose is stored in the blood. High blood glucose along with inflammation has also been known to damage proteins in arterial cell walls and cause thickening. This escalates plague build up.
Low carb diet like keto diets have been known to reduce the blood glucose levels and thus protect the heart, to a certain extent. This being said, please read the cons part of this article for the full picture on this subject.
6) Prevention of certain types of cancer:
The ketogenic diet has been used in the treatment of certain types of cancer.
Ketocal, which is a new nutritionally balanced high fat/low carbohydrate ketogenic diet was used to study malignant brain tumors. It was found that, in the experimental mouse and human brain tumors, ketocal was effective against the tumors.
7) Help treat acne:
As per one study a ketose diet might even help treat acne.
Where there is good there has to be evil:
So, lets look at the cons:
1) Heart failure is severe ketogenic state:
There are two cases of sudden death due to heart failure, in children on ketogenic diets for the control of seizures. Both cases showed selenium deficiency. Thus, the hearts condition on prolonged keto diet needs to be monitored closely.
In another study, thirteen patients with congestive heart failure (chf) and cardiac patients without chf took part in a study. It was found that in a ketosis-prone state severe chf occurs.
So, basically in patients with a heart condition, the ketogenic diet should be undertaken after consultation with your doctor. Thus, it can be monitored for adverse symptoms.
2) Deficiency in macronutrients:
Now, ketosis can cause macronutrients deficiency if not monitored properly.
3) Various side effects:
When used in the treatment of children with epilepsy, it was found that the side effects include “dehydration, kidney stones and constipation”.
Other side effects that might be apparent with the ketogenic diet are too much water intake, dizziness, nausea, headaches, etc.
I am having fibroadenoma since may 2015 approx I went foh FNAC n ultrasound too Should I remove it or keep it I consulted 3 gynecologist They advice me to keep it But one advice to remove it. What should I do? I'm taken PRIMOSA 1000 mg and EVION 500 mg too.
My period is due on 19th August. And I had sex with my husband on 28th July. When can I check whether I am pregnant or not.
Hi sir I am 36 year old and I have a girlfriend she is 18 we both love each other and we are going to get married so I just wanted to no that is there somthing that will harm our married life, like having a age different and like child problem. To be very frank with you I really dont believe in all that because there are people at the age of 50 to 60 having a child. But then also I want to no that. It can really help me a lot. Thank you sir.
I am 38 yrs old my wife is also 33yrs old I am having a prety daughter. She is 7 years old, but now my wife is not interested with me for making sex regularly last two months. Regularly she avoiding me by the different issues sometimes she spokes me mujhe sex kerne me koi interest nahi hai. Please tell me why she is doing such type activities.
Hi I have a problem of loose vagina I Will get married after 2 months I am very worried about it there is any solution for that situation. If there is any medicine available for that please guide me.
Hello doctor I am 26. On the 17th day (probably ovulating) of my period, I was a little intimate with a guy. We didn't have sex but his penis accidentally touched my vagina for a second. Today is the 32nd day, got no period. My normal cycle is 28-31 days. I am really worried. Am I pregnant?
My son is 3 months old. He is not having milk properly. For every 4 hrs he is feeling hungry ,but feeding time he takes is just 5 mins. Compared to before, now the time gap is increased and feeding time is decreased. Is this normal among infants? Please suggest.
I'm not getting regular periods. I get periods after 2 to 3 months. Please suggest me. Please help me.
I am 23 years old girl. I am suffering from irregular periods and also toes ache. I also need psychiatric help.
Dear sir After my married my period stop then doc consult. Doc gave me medicine for period and then continue. As par doc consult sonography had done .he says overy side some small ball like seen. Then give medicine all 9 and crimson .now I have to plan baby. Last three month try but not coming positive. Docs give day 2 to 7medicine bestrova .next 2 to 15 days KQ 100 and sustain sr for 16 to 25. But again period come. Today had seen small for period. Pls advice me. Last three month continue take same medicine but no readily. Every day also all 9 medicine running.
Hi Doctors, Please help me I'm 18 weeks pregnant & suffering from soar throat for past 4 days with headache with temperature 98-99 I'm really scared my tummy feels cold some time please help me please.
Hello sir,i dont no i am pregnant or not bcause my period delayed 10 days can i take myprog 200 tab ?
I had unprotected Sex four days ago and the day after I had stomach cramps and an uneasy feeling and its been continuous as well as vaginal cramps, acid reflux, and occasional breast pain. Im 17 and obese and I have not had my period for four months before this. What is going on?
My pack will be ending the day after tomorrow. If I got withdrawal bleed after that. Does it mean I am safe. I was on pills from june. And I missed the last pill of june which I took next day along with the last pill. Then I was out of town for 6 days on which I had menses from 5-8 july. On july 8 at 11 pm I started with the new pack. 9th july had protected intercourse with same condom for three rounds. Do not know if he ejaculated or not Since then I have not missed a pill. Since I have taken that 6 days break after missing the pill and was not sure about the condom I got nervous. Took a test yesterday and few days earlier both were negative. M I safe. When should I take home pregnancy test to get accurate results?
Fast Food Facts
What is fast food and why is it so popular?
Fast food, junk food, processed food, ready-meals - Whatever label you give it, it all comes down to the same thing - food that's been through the factory and had much of its goodness removed. Fast food is quick, convenient and usually inexpensive and hence children, teenagers and busy youngsters are easy target. However, it is little known that fast food is inexpensive because it is usually made with cheaper ingredients such as high saturated fat meat, refined grains with added sugar and fats, etc
Is fast food bad?
There is no such thing as a 'bad' food. All foods can fit into a healthy meal plan. It's true that fast food is usually high in fat, calories, cholesterol and sodium, but eating fast food every once in a while is not going to cause problems. If we eat too much fast food over a long period of time, though, it can lead to health problems like high blood pressure, heart disease and obesity.
If you are having fast food more than once a week, try to make healthier choices. Here are some tips:
- Choose foods that are boiled over fried, such as a grilled chicken sandwich instead of fried chicken or chicken nuggets
- Choose soups that are not cream based. If the name of the soup includes the word cream, such as 'Creamy Tomato Soup', avoid ordering it
- Have low-fat salad dressings instead of the full-fat kind
- Have a salad or soup instead of fries
- Use yoghurt, mustard or ketchup instead of mayonnaise
- Order smaller portions - the smaller the portion size, the lesser the calories
- When ordering a burger or sandwich, select leaner meats like grilled chicken instead of fried items such as burgers or steak and avoid adding cheese
- Choose water, low-fat milk, or diet sodas instead of regular sodas, fruit drinks, milkshakes or whole milk
- When ordering pizza, add veggies instead of meat, and get thin crust instead of deep dish
- If fruits and veggies are available, try to add them into your meal. For example, have lettuce and tomato on sandwiches or burgers
- Vegetable items are usually lower in fat than the meat dishes but can still be high in total calories
- Most appetizers are deep fried and some can hold more oil resulting in excessive calories. Switch to soups instead
- Stir-fry dishes are the best choice for lower calories
Essential Fast Food facts
- Laden with additives and unhealthy ingredients
A quick look at any food label will show you a long list of ingredients. We need to improve our ability to read and interpret food labels, which will help us make informed choices. More often than not, these foods are loaded with fats, sugar, salt and artificial additives. Many of these food additives, can have serious effects on long-term health. The fact that many children have diets high in processed foods underlies in the massive increase in childhood obesity
- Essential nutrients are missing
It's not just what's in fast food, which is alarming. What fast foods leave out, has just as bad an impact on health. Fast foods usually do not contain the following:
- Fiber, which is essential to keep the gut working properly. Processing methods remove most of the fiber originally present in the food. Long term low fiber intake can lead to serious health problems
- Vitamins and minerals in fast foods are lost due to processing and refining, which is often carried out at high temperatures. Some processed foods have added vitamins and minerals - often because those that were there to start with have been lost in processing. Others have very little or even non-existent nutritional value
- Bad for health
The dire effects of diets which rely too much on fast and processed foods are listed below:
- Lethal diseases - cancer, heart diseases, diabetes - are linked with poor diet and overweight
- Obesity in children and adults has reached a record high and continues to increase
- Lack of certain essential nutrients (like iron) can cause behavioural problems in children and can affect their ability to learn
- Long term fast/processed food (ab)use can lead to numerous other problems in children - caries prone teeth, dry skin, bad breath, constipation, digestive problems, headaches, poor concentration, depression, tiredness, anaemia - the list goes on and on
- Lacking flavour and texture
Junk foods are bland because processing wipes out subtle differences in flavour, appetizing fragrances and aromas. You have a well-flavoured meal in front of you, little knowing that this is due to added artificial flavours, colors and aromas. Yet the flavours never taste like food freshly prepared, from fresh and simple ingredients
- Not as fresh as they seem
Some processed foods pretend to be fresh - salads, which are doused in chlorinated water before packing. It's kept looking good, maybe for days and days on end, by added preservatives
What can you do?
Healthy eating and fast food can't exist side by side. As you switch to a healthy diet, one by one the fast foods must go:
- Learn to understand food labels. If you're looking for healthy food, labels hold the key. Read them and start seeking for healthier alternatives
- If you can't always avoid eating junk food, learn to choose the more healthy fast foods
- As you gradually eradicate unhealthy foods from your diet, replace them with simple, fresh foods and encourage your friends to do the same
- Help your family to start shopping differently, buying fresh foods more frequently, relying less on foods which have a long shelf life because they're full of artificial preservatives and buying for just few meals, at a time. Over a few months, you'll find that it's not that time-consuming and you and your family is actually enjoying planning and eating healthier meals
- In time, processed foods that used to seem appetizing will lose their appeal, as your palate becomes attuned to fresher, purer flavours
-Be realistic. Sometimes with friends you'll still have a burger or a ready-meal. Relax. Healthy eating is all about balance. As long as most of the time you're eating good, nutritious food, that's fine
Once you know the fast food facts, you'll never the feel the same about the foods in junk food joints again. Start gradually changing the way you eat and you'll enjoy food more and feel better, as well as give yourself, your family and friends massive health benefits which are long-term. You're not alone in this. Half the world is trying to do the same. But remember you can make it happen, only if you try. Your time starts NOW
I am 20 years old taking a tablet of ovabless daily. I had sex on 1st and 6th april and took I pill on both days. I got my periods on 13 april i.e. My regular date. I had sex on 26th april but condom slipped so I took another ipill and there wad bleeding on 3rd may till 6th may. Again had sex on 26 may but condom broke so took ipill and bleeding came on 4th june which lasted 3-4 days. I had sex after that but protected and last date was 29 june. I didn't had my periods till date. I used 8 urine pregnancy test till now each one showed negative. But I have experienced crams in stomach as if my periods are about to come but they doesn't and white fluid discharge from vagina. What should I do?
Smoking during pregnancy can adversely affect not only your health but that of your unborn too. Kicking this habit can help you to have a safer pregnancy as well as a healthier baby. If not, it can lead to a number of serious pregnancy complications including the death of your baby. According to various findings, smoking during this period can double your prospects of having a baby with low birth weight as well as your chance for stillbirth.
What happens when you smoke while pregnant?
The cigarette smoke is made up of about 4000 chemicals, which includes about 60 cancer causing substances, lead, and cyanide. Of these toxins in cigarette smoke, carbon monoxide and nicotine are the two toxins that make up much of smoking-related pregnancy complication. The toxins go directly to your baby through the bloodstream, the only source of nutrients and oxygen for your offspring. By working in tandem, the nicotine and carbon monoxide toxins bring about a decrease in the supply of oxygen for your baby. While nicotine cuts off oxygen supply by constricting the blood vessels, the red blood cells responsible for carrying oxygen also pick up carbon monoxide molecules and take them directly to your baby.
What effects does it have on your little one?
When you smoke, you put your baby on harm's way and here's what happens to your baby:
- In terms of weight, it has been revealed that while smoking one pack daily can bring about a 226 gm decrease in the baby's weight, smoking two packs every day can affect your baby's weight by about 453 gm. A stunted growth during this period can negatively affect your child later in life.
- Due to the negative effects of the toxins, the development of your baby's lung and body gets hampered. It may also make your baby prone to Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SID) and asthma.
- It can also increase your baby's chance of suffering from a heart defect. Research shows that babies whose mothers smoke during the first three months of pregnancy have 20-70% chance of developing congenital heart problems compared to babies whose mothers didn't smoke.
- Smoking can affect the development of his brain functions and cause him or her to suffer from low IQ, learning disabilities as well as behavioral issues. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a Gynaecologist.