Lybrate.com has an excellent community of Pulmonologists in India. You will find Pulmonologists with more than 40 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Pulmonologists online in Delhi and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. S S Panwar
Treatment of Sleep Disturbance
Asthma Management Program
Management of Smoking Cessation
Oxygen Therapy Treatment
Obstructive Sleep Apnea Treatment
Asthma Treatment & Management
Lower/Upper Respiratory Tract Infection Treatment
Submit a review for Dr. S S PanwarYour feedback matters!
My 12 year old son always has dry lips at the ends What should be done He had asthmatic problem till age of 7 Is that be the reason of it.
2 months ago I had surgery sinusitis at hospital. But still I am suffering from fever, pain in head, neck and some time in face and ears. Can you give me advice what to do now. Please help me.
She has been suffering from temporary tonsils. Wat r the suitable foods she is supposed to take n please let me know wat causes this. How can this be avoided?
I am a 50 year old male. Our family has a history of asthma. sometimes i feel acute suffocation while travelling in the train. I do not want to start puff or nebulizer, instead i want to buy a portable oxygen concentrator. Please suggest me a good model buyable online or in Delhi. Thanks and Regards
I am 40 years male. I am suffering from asthmatic problem from last two months. Please tell me suggestion.
Hello I am 25 year old male. I am suffering from cough for last 4 month when I take medicine its OK but after few days again same problem Please help.
I am 32 years female I am suffering from asthma since 8 years I am taking inhaler from last 5 years what will I do know ?
I have asthma - I am a smoker and have 60 ml drink every day to come out of my breathing problem advice teatment.
I have suffering from cough with heavy blood but according to reports I have not tuberculosis disease can you suggest what I can do?
I have cough & cod for last 6 days. I thought it happened due to season change. Calpol even stopped working. Kindly suggest.
I am having a problem with breathing. For eg. When I speak something normally in a normal tune its ok. But when I try to release the pressure from my stomach to higher the tune from normal to high tune it takes me problem in it. To release that pressure is so hard for me to do. And five to ten minutes I have to take the deep breathe voluntarily to get the oxygen. Could you please help in this?
Hii sir I'm suffering from cold and continuous cough my throat becomes rough my voice changed please tell me the precautions. For my cold nd cough.
Coughing is a common problem of the respiratory tract and often indicates a deeper problem. It can be very irritating and can affect eating habits and socialization. A cough which persists for more than 4 weeks is believed to be chronic in nature. Tuberculosis (TB) is the most common cause of chronic cough in India. TB is an airborne bacterial infection caused by the organism, 'Mycobacterium tuberculosis', that primarily affects the lungs, although other organs and tissues may be involved. Cardinal features are:
- Chronic cough with or without sputum.
- Fever more in the night time.
- Poor appetite.
- Unintentional weight loss.
Read on to know about other common causes of chronic cough and how to manage them.
- Allergies: People with allergies usually have a chronic cough, which gets aggravated when exposed to the allergens such as pollen or environmental dust. Staying away from allergen provides relief. Antihistamines are also useful, which most people detected with allergies keep in handy. Inhalers might be required, if there is associated congestion or shortness of breath.
- Asthma: This is a very common chronic condition, caused by inflammation and swelling of the lungs, in addition to wheezing and shortness of breath. Asthma patients often suffer from a chronic cough. An asthma attack usually happens during the night or early morning, and is triggered by colds, cigarette smoke, air pollutants or allergens, which can even include certain foods. Most asthmatics usually carry their steroids, inhalers, and bronchodilators, as the onset of attack can be unpredictable.
- Bronchitis: This condition of inflammation of the bronchial region is very common among smokers and among the elderly. There is excessive mucus accumulation, which the body tries to clear via coughing. The lungs are weakened and therefore, the coughing is painful.
- Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD): This is a problem of the digestive system, but regurgitation of food into the airway induces cough. GERD is a chronic issue and so most people also end up with a chronic cough. It is worse with sitting up than with sitting down. Treatment includes H2 blockers to suppress acid production and dietary changes including small, frequent meals and avoiding spicy food items.
- Upper airway cough syndrome: There could be multiple problems in the upper airway, which leads to a constant postnasal drip. Here, there is constant dripping of the sputum into the air passage, which can lead to a chronic cough whenever there is impaired air flow. This can be caused by various forms of chronic sinusitis and rhinitis. People diagnosed with this condition usually resort to antihistamines and decongestants for relief.
- Other causes: There are a number of other causes as noted below. Smoking, tuberculosis, congestive heart failure, pertussis or whooping cough, foreign body in the airway, cancer in the airway passage, chronic aspiration of foods, etc. can all lead to chronic cough.
The key is to identify the reason that is causing the chronic cough. Most people who are diagnosed are educated to handle it and carry the required medications including steroids, bronchodilators, and inhalers. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a doctor and ask a free question.