Lybrate.com has top trusted Gynaecologists from across India. You will find Gynaecologists with more than 32 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Gynaecologists online in Delhi and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Management of Abortion
Caesarean Section Procedure
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Termination Of Pregnancy Procedure
Treatment Of Pregnancy Problems
Well Woman Healthcheck
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Treatment Of Medical Diseases In Pregnancy
Treatment Of Menstrual Problems
Intra-Uterine Insemination (IUI) Treatment
Medical Termination Of Pregnancy (Mtp) Procedure
Gynecology Laparoscopy Procedures
Pap Smear Procedure
Submit a review for Dr. S BenerjeeYour feedback matters!
It's been 3 months since delivery of my wife but there are no signs of mensuration (periods). Is it safe to use cut before period and any problems in future. Its a second delivery and she had operation c section.
I am 23 years old who married in May 2014. We tried for pregnancy in the month of April 2015, get confirmed but unfortunately in the month of june 2015 I faced a miscarriage. During my pregnancy period I noticed some drops of white discharged coming out from my vagina. As advised now I am again trying for pregnancy since last month but still I noticed the same quantity of white discharge. Should I worried about it.
Hello. Im married. N its going to be 3 years on dis feb. I am having irregular periods bt frm last 3 months my periods wer regular. Bt dis tym I again missed my periods n its been almost 20 days up. I tested pregnancy thrice bt its negative al the tym. I hav thyroid. Bt its normal. Wt can be the reason fr dis. N can I plan my pregnancy nw? I mean b4 dis periods cum. Wt to do? please help me.
Sir after sex I'm completely discharged in my wife but when she is wake up in the morning she has white water in her vagina there is problem to get pregnant or not?
I had sex yesterday with protection but I don't want to take any chances so could I get a gynaecologist prescribed medicine to avoid pregnancy.
Are you experiencing excessive uterine bleeding? Excessive uterine bleeding may occur between a woman’s periods or before the periods, after having sex, or due to the development of spotting or bleeding after attaining menopause. Any menstrual cycle, which lasts longer than 21–35 days is called excessive, and this is an abnormal form of uterine bleeding.
Causes of Excessive Uterine Bleeding:
The various causes of excessive uterine bleeding are as follows:
One of the main causes is hormonal imbalance, as the balance between estrogen and progesterone gets disrupted. This balance is required for the regulation and development of the lining of endometrium or uterus lining. Because of the hormonal imbalance, the endometrium develops excessively causing heavy bleeding.
Uterine fibroids, which are non cancerous tumours, may lead to prolonged and excessive uterine bleeding.
Polyps are small benign developments on the uterus lining which cause heavy bleeding. They occur because of high levels of hormones.
Adenomyosis is a condition which develops when the endometrium glands get embedded in the uterine muscle, leading to excessive uterine bleeding.
Using intrauterine devices or IUDs may cause side effects as well.
Several pregnancy complications may also lead to excess bleeding. Ectopic pregnancy is a common cause.
Several uterine cancers, ovarian cancers and cervical conditions may be responsible as well. Inherited bleeding disorders such as von Willebrand’s disease is another likely cause.
Several medicines and drugs, including NSAIDs and anticoagulants are a common cause.
Medical conditions such as pelvic inflammatory disease, endometriosis, liver and kidney disease or thyroid problems can also cause excessive uterine bleeding.
There are different ways of treating excessive uterine bleeding, depending upon the cause of bleeding and the patient’s age.
Medications: Several medicines are used for the treatment of abnormal uterine bleeding. Hormonal medicines and birth control pills are used to improve the regularity of periods. Non steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs are also used to manage excessive uterine bleeding. Several antibiotics are also used.
Surgery: In many cases, a woman has to undergo a surgery for the removal of polyps and fibroids, which cause excessive bleeding. Certain fibroids are removed via hysteroscopy and other techniques for treatment are used as well. Endometrial ablation can be carried out to manage the bleeding. This treatment aims at permanent reduction of the excess bleeding. Hysterectomy has to be carried out when other treatments are unsuccessful. This is a serious surgery and after it, a woman will no longer have periods, and she will not be able to conceive a child.
In case of excessive uterine bleeding, you must consult a doctor as soon as possible. This will enable early treatment and prevent the development of further complications. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a gynaecologist.
I'm 20 years old extremely skinny girl. Like every youth, I too masturbate. But I feel that since I started masturbating, I started suffering from the problem of white discharge. Now, I masturbate number of times a day. I want to control it but still I'm not able. What should I do to stop it? Is it just a myth or what? I have read severally that it is a healthy and natural phenomenon. Then why this white discharge? I'm totally confused. Though I've had a checkup and my doctor told me that I'm anemic. But I didn't told him about my masturbating routine (though I told him about white discharge). Does it means that I was anemic or infected since such a long time when I started masturbating (2-3 years ago)? Or it is because of masturbation? And is masturbation responsible for my skinny body? Please clarify everything to me in detail.
I don't bleed during period. I took i-pill two months back on the 5th day of my period.What can i do?
I am 40. Before the periods date I get anger and irritated for each small things. Also first 2 days I have sleepless nights bcoz of heavy flow. Please tell how to come out of it?
Mam mujhe ye jana hai ki meri wife ki MC 28 June ko aayi thi or 30 june ko shadi thi. Uska period 4 din rehta hai. Maine 3 se 5 july ko with out protection kiya to kya wo pregnant ho sakti hai. Uska mc 28 din ka rehta hai to uske hissab se 25 july ko mc aani thi or mere usse 26 ko. Lekin ab tak uski M C nai aayi kya karan hai. please solve my problem.
- Eat healthy: No two ways about it. Your appearance is a direct reflection of your food habits. It could be sipping green tea, eating a lot of Omega 3 fatty acids via walnuts and salmon, biting into fruits like pomegranates and berries, or having red wine regularly. Each has its own benefits from reducing fat deposition to hydrating your skin to improving circulation. All these tell on the quality of your skin and the radiance will be there for all.
- Reduce stress: The first place that your stress will show is your skin. Wrinkles and dry and sagging skin are some of the first symptoms of stress. As we all know, there is only so much stress that we can control. Don't stress about stress, and the results of this difference in attitude will become very obvious.
- Passion: Whether it is a new hobby like painting or a language or a new found love life, passion brings energy to life like nothing else can. It gives a new reason to wake up every day and energizes not just the person but everything and everybody around. Find something new to do that you completely enjoy and the glow will just radiate, not just externally but also internally.
- Work out: Take a break every single day to do whatever excites you, such as yoga, meditation, walking, jogging, swimming, or cycling. Spend about 30 minutes to an hour and the inner peace that you find will help you stay young and radiant. The benefits of a workout are manifold and those who know it get addicted to it. A day without exercise would feel incomplete for these people. On days when they have had a good workout, the radiance and energy will be greater than normal and will be palpable.
- Pamper your skin: In addition to all these, whether it is the sunscreen when going out in the sun or the almond oil, give your skin some supplemental treatments once a while.
One word of caution is not to trust these supplements to do the magic without doing the above. The supplements can definitely do what they are called, supplement what the rest do. Try these simple techniques and see a radiant and glowing you.
After Having a meal, how much gap should be there to have a sex? OR It is better to have sex with an empty stomach?
Hello Doctor, Just want to know that. My period came to 28 July to 1 August. So what will be the my first day of ovulation? And last day of ovulation after period? And how would I know what will be the date of no chance of pregnancy if my husband ejaculates inside me? Please help me to know better. Thank you,
While some diseases and medical conditions affect people all over the world, there are some that are prevalent only amongst a certain cultural group or region. Dhat roga or Dhat syndrome is one such culturally bound syndrome that affects men in the Indian subcontinent region including India, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh and Nepal. In some cases, it may also affect the women of this region.
The word ‘Dhat’ originates from the Sanskrit word ‘Dhatu’ meaning ‘elixir of the body’. The condition was first described in 1960 by Dr Narendra Wig as a condition marked by psychosomatic symptoms such as fatigue, anxiety and sexual dysfunction caused by the passing of a whitish fluid or whitish particles that are believed to be semen in the urine. Other symptoms that person with this condition might express include weakness, lack of appetite, poor concentration and guilt.
How dhat is different from sperm leakage and premature ejaculation?
Dhat is the name given to the collective symptoms, such as sexual, psychological, and physical related to the passing of a whitish fluid, believed to be semen in urine. This is usually followed by psychological distress and anxiety due to semen-loss in patients. The word ‘dhat’ is derived from the Sanskrit word ‘dhatu’ which means ‘metal’ and/or ‘elixir’. Whereas, sperm leakage is a sexual dysfunction which happens due to weak parasympathetic nerves. What happens here is that seminal fluid oozes out of a flaccid penis. This is said to happen due to over masturbation. Dhat, on the other hand, is passing of seminal fluid in urine. And, premature ejaculation is something that happens at the time of coitus. In this, the male is unable to sustain an erection long enough for penetration and ‘comes’ prematurely. In this condition, penetrative sex doesn’t happen or happens for too short a period of time to satisfy the partner.
In the dhat syndrome, males usually believe that they have premature ejaculation and suffer from impotence apart from just leaking the white seminal fluid during urination. This loss frightens them into developing a sense of depression as the fear of semen loss is very strong in the subcontinent. Young men from a rural background or of a lower socioeconomic status typically complain of this syndrome. It may be further categorised under three heads:
- Only Dhat: In this case, the patients present with hypochondriacally oriented symptoms attributed to the loss of semen
- Dhat accompanied by anxiety or depression: In this case depression or anxiety is the core condition that may be accompanied by Dhat
- Dhat accompanied by sexual dysfunction: In such cases, the patient may complain of erectile dysfunction, premature ejaculation or other psychosexual dysfunction conditions such as depressive neurosis, somatoform/ hypochondriasis or anxiety neurosis.
- Fatigue and listlessness
- Appetite loss
- Lack of physical strength
- Poor concentration and forgetfulness
- Sexual dysfunction
Common misconceptions about the disease
There are a number of misconceptions about dhat. Most patients think that the semen loss during urination will make them impotent or someway weaker sexually. This anxiety can be traced back thousands of years to certain Ayurvedic treatises in which the loss of a single drop of semen, the most precious body fluid, was enough to weaken the whole body. This cultural belief leads to a lot of stigma, guilt and depression related to dhat.
The morbid hypochondriacal fear that is associated with dhat syndrome is also stuff that myths are made of. Patients believe that dhat will irreversibly harm their bodies and they will be unable to produce male offspring, and that dhat will cause a death of offspring at an early age, lead to the birth of a malformed fetus; or cause anaemia, leprosy, tuberculosis, permanent impotency, and shrinking of the penis.
Factors apart from reproductive health which results in Dhat roga
- Nerves are responsible for keeping the semen locked in during a normal state in men. When nerves get weak, semen is discharged during urination or while doing normal activities in the form of a white discharge, called dhat.
- This problem further strains other organs like liver and a poorly functioning liver increases weakness related to muscles and also reduces energy levels, fat metabolism, and contaminates blood.
- Prostatitis, a disease of the prostate gland which secretes seminal fluids can also aggravate dhat.
- A weak digestive system, prone to constipation and piles also causes dhat. This is seen as a white discharge while defecation.
Modern science has not been able to understand an organic evolution of this condition and hence has no form of medication to treat it. Hence, it is often considered a neurotic condition. According to Ayurveda, apart from excessive masturbation and a weak reproductive health, conditions such as weak digestion, constipation and prostatitis can also trigger the symptoms of Dhat roga.
Ayurveda believes that the body always functions as a complete entity and hence no condition can be isolated and treated. Hence when treating diseases, it approaches it through changes in the person’s diet, exercise and lifestyle, mental health and overall physical health. In the case of treatment for Dhat roga, it is important for the doctor to first correct the patient’s erroneous beliefs and listen to the person before medicating him.
Tips and treatments in Ayurveda
Ayurveda postulates leading a controlled sexual life to counteract dhat.
- Charaka samhita postulates that semen is all pervasive within the body like "oil in the sesamic seed" and suggests one ejaculation per week in summer and 168 total yearly ejaculations as the optimal sexual frequency for males.
- Over-indulgence in sex and especially masturbation can cause an imbalance in the dhatus with a resultant physical illness called dhat.
- Use herbs which enhance energy and performance of the reproductive system. These herbs will remove debility and weakness and will elevate levels of testosterone hormone in the body to rejuvenate and re-energize the reproductive system.
- These pills also contain herbs which strengthen, repair and stimulate nerves and maintain an optimum supply of energy throughout the day to prevent semen discharge with urine.
- Shilajit is a herb that is known for enhancing sexual potency. Shilajit capsules come loaded with herbs which supplement minerals and nutrients in a bio-available form to remove deficiencies improving the functioning of organs and muscles to counteract fatigue.
Regular counselling is often advocated in such cases along with anti-anxiety and anti-depression medication. Medication may also be prescribed to keep semen from leaking into the urine. The patient is also taught to relax so as to ensure the smooth functioning of the genitourinary system. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a Sexologist.
I am 30 year old man. And my wife is 29 year old. We r trying. For child but my wife left side uterus is bloked nd doctor say still we ll have child. It gone 3.5yrs of my marriage. My count is ok also. Please give me such suggestions
My wife is unicornuate and her uterus size 8.5x3.7x2.3 cm and endo 0.5/2 cm. She become pregnant? After TVs exam.
Hi. My Last month period date 16 Jan 2016. I'm on 18th day of cycle and my follicle measures 19x19 in Left ovary. We are trying to conceive, I just came to know about luteul phase defect in this forum. My next cycle usually happens 2 days prior to previous. If I ovulate on 20th day or after then the length of luteul phase will be 10 days or lesser. Heard of vit B6 tablet for this! Please throw some light quite tensed!
Ever wondered what happens to your body when you start walking?
Here's a minute-by -minute rundown of the amazing chain reaction walking and exercise has upon your body, it's truly amazing!
Minutes 1 to 5
Your first few steps trigger the release of energy-producing chemicals in your cells to fuel your walk. Your heart rate revs-up from about 70 to 100 beats per minute (bpm), boosting blood-flow and warming muscles.
Any stiffness subsides as joints release lubricating fluid to help you move more easily. As you get moving, your body burns 5 calories per minute, compared with only 1 per minute at rest. Your body needs more fuel and starts pulling from its carbohydrates and fat stores.
Minutes 6 to 10
Heartbeat increases and you're burning up to 6 calories a minute as you pick up the pace. A slight rise in blood pressure is countered by the release of chemicals that expand blood vessels, bringing more blood and oxygen to working muscles.
Minutes 11 to 20
Your body temperature keeps rising, and you start to perspire as blood vessels near the skin expand to release heat. As your walk becomes brisker, you'll be burning up to 7 calories a minute and breathing harder. Hormones such as epinephrine and glucagon rise to release fuel to the muscles.
Minutes 21 to 45
Feeling invigorated, you start to relax as your body releases tension, thanks in part to a dose of feel-good chemicals such as endorphins in your brain. As more fat is burned, insulin (which helps store fat) drops--excellent news for anyone battling excess weight or diabetes.
Minutes 46 to 60
Your muscles may feel fatigued as carbohydrates stores are reduced. As you cool down, your heart rate decreases and your breathing slows. You'll be burning fewer calories but more than you were before you started. Your calorieburn will remain elevated.