Lybrate.com has top trusted Audiologists from across India. You will find Audiologists with more than 41 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Audiologists online in Delhi and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Submit a review for Dr. Ram KumarYour feedback matters!
I am having problem while waking up in the mrng I dnt evn hear my almars at tht tym wat should I do now?
Hearing loss is a common sensory problem that generally develops with increasing age or due to prolonged or persistent exposure to loud noises. It is one of the most typical problems that occurs throughout the world. If you are suffering from partial hearing loss, you may find ways of keeping in touch with your family and friends. If you are not suffering from such the following may help you keep your hearing intact for years to come.
Types of hearing loss:
There are two main types of hearing loss:
1. Conductive Hearing Loss where the problem lies in the middle ear, eardrum or ossicles. A conductive hearing loss affects the passage of sound between the eardrum and the inner ear. Sound passes down the ear canal to the ear drum and through the middle ear, where the sound is transmitted across the middle ear by the three bones called the ossicles to the inner ear.
Causes of conductive hearing loss:
- Malformation of outer ear, ear canal, or middle ear structures
- Fluid in the middle ear from colds
- Ear infection (otitis media - an infection of the middle ear in which an accumulation of fluid may interfere with the movement of the eardrum and ossicles
- Poor Eustachian tube function
- Perforated eardrum
- Benign tumors
- Impacted earwax
- Infection in the ear canal
- Foreign body in the ear
2. Sensorineural Hearing Loss where there is damage in the inner ear, cochlea or hearing nerve. Sensorineural hearing loss (SNHL) occurs when there is damage to the inner ear (cochlea), or to the nerve pathways from the inner ear to the brain. Most of the time, SNHL cannot be medically or surgically corrected. This is the most common type of permanent hearing loss.
Causes of sensorineural hearing loss:
- Exposure to loud noise
- Head trauma
- Virus or disease
- Autoimmune inner ear disease
- Hearing loss that runs in the family
- Aging (presbycusis)
- Malformation of the inner ear
- Meniere's Disease
Coping with Hearing Loss:
Antibiotics and eardrops are often prescribed to treat hearing loss and its symptoms. In many cases, people suffering from severe hearing loss use hearing aids. Hearing aids are tiny instruments that people use in their ears to make sounds louder. People who suffer from hearing loss cope with their problems through increased concentration and focus. The usual way involves reading the moving lips of the person while they talk. Prevention is better than cure and is the best solution to avoid long term hearing loss. Avoiding continuous loud noises, to the possible extent helps prevent hearing loss to a great extent. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult an Ent Specialist.
I am 22 years, male: 3 month ago I got sudden hearing loss in my left ear with ring- ring sound continuously audible, PAT was 75% loss in left, normal in right, doctor's confirmed it as senseronural hearing loss and I had given steroid injections and also tablets only about 10% improvement, Now they asked to stop using medicines. Any treatment is available for regain if hearing and any treatment for ring-song sound in ear.
Dear DR, My wife (age: 24) is suffering by hearing loss of her left ear. I am from kolkata. I have visited lots of clinic here but all of them used to tell me that there have no chance for recovering. They told me nerve is totally damaged. So please tell me if there is any chance for me. Symptoms: 1. Hearing loss of left ear 2. Huge pain suddenly (lots of pills already taken) 3.Senseless due to pain.Please tell.
Having loss of hearing in both ears is it due to accumulation of wax in the ears or shall I visit ENT specialist. Using hearing aid for last 6 years.
My kid is of 8 yrs old we had bera test and found 100% loss of hearing impairment in left ear. Please suggest what should we do further.
Dear Sir I am 50 yrs old and my children have complain that I am having hearing problem that I don't listen to the door bell nor the ring of the phone. It happen very often but only when I watch television or listening to music and sometime during reading. Please let me know if there is anything serious.
Hello,my father is having hearing problem.We consulted a doctor.He conducted some tests and said he has cold accumulated in his ear and needs to be operated.Is there any other way?
He has à speech problem he can hear but can'speek. I am consulted with doctor. He said it will take time. Have you any suggestion for him?
HELLO Dr. Maeri mom ka ek ear bilkul khrab h unah ek hi kaan say sunai deta but jaese jaese age bd rhi h unah bhut km sunae de rha h. Please suggest me. Unah kon se best ear machine dilani chahiye.
My sister's new born baby doesn't respond her voice and any other noise. He was an 10 days old baby. Although hearing test is finished at hospital since 3 days old. According to test, result is good. But my sister worry why baby doesn't respond till now. How should we do?
Due to rainy season and cold atmosphere my ear feel like got blocked. But I can hear well, still it feels quite strange, so provide solution for making ear free.
My friend has high blood pressure and now he finds it difficult to hear very well what is the cause.
Why is my voice so hoarse? .I am suffering to some hearing problem.in my ear canal it is a small whole .what should I do?
The partial or total inability to hear is known as hearing loss. It can be present at birth or develop later in life.
There are a number of factors, which may cause hearing loss:
- Age - Age is the biggest factor when it comes to the loss of hearing, and you may lose the ability to hear as you age. This condition is known as presbycusis. It becomes difficult to understand high-frequency sounds like that of a child or a woman when you get old.
- Noise - When you are exposed to loud noises for a prolonged period of time, it damages your ears. This leads to loss of hearing. 5% of the total population of the world is affected by noise (the degree of suffering varies). It may be a result of continuous exposure to loud music or a sudden exposure to a loud noise like an explosion or fire cracker. Even too much use of ear phones and cell phones causes damage. Prevention - Use less of cell phones, disco, fire cracker, loud speaker.
- Hereditary disorders - Hearing disorder may be inherited by the dominant or recessive genes of parents in the child.
- Trauma - Serious injuries of the head/ears may cause loss of hearing, which may be either temporary or permanent. When damage is caused to the brain, the brain fails to process the message conveyed by the ears. So even if the ears are totally functional, a person may face the problem in hearing.
- Perinatal problems - The ototoxic effects on the fetus due to excess intake of alcohol during pregnancy lead to hearing the loss in about 64% of the infants born to alcoholic mothers. Also, premature birth can be associated with hearing loss due to high risk of being exposed to noise in neonatal units.
- Diseases of ear - Specially pus discharge damages eardrum and hearing bones. Some time also damages the nerve of hearing. Do not neglect this issue. It can be easily operated and you are safe.
Knowing about the causes of hearing loss can lead you a step closer to preventing this disorder.
- Aging effect can be prevented --- by taking nerve tonics, avoiding ototoxic drugs, and avoiding noise trauma. If hearing loss has set in best is to use hearing aid prescribed by authentic person.
- Be more aware -- You should be diligent and aware of the situations, which may risk your hearing ability and should try to avoid such situations as much as possible. Limit your exposure to sources of hazardous noises like firearms, firecrackers, concerts and pubs.
- Take precautionary measures -- If your occupation calls for working at an environment of loud noises, use earplugs or earmuffs. Also, make sure that you work in a place where employers take all the necessary measures of noise control under the federal or state regulations.
- Monitor your use of gadgets --- Monitor and control the use of hearing devices, and try to reduce the use of headphones/ earphones as much as possible.
- During pregnancy -- NO to alcohol smoking and other ototoxic medicines. To prevent genetic transfer of hearing loss, one should avoid marriage in close relatives as is done in south India and mohmadden community.
- Visit the Dr. --- For proper management of hearing loss asap. hearing loss is treatable or can be taken care !!