Lybrate.com has a nexus of the most experienced General Physicians in India. You will find General Physicians with more than 28 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find General Physicians online in Delhi and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Treatment of Migraine Treatment
Weight Management Treatment
Removal Of Stitches Procedure
Thyroid Problems Treatment
Dressings Of Wounds Procedure
Hiv Prophylaxis Post Exposure
Viral Fever Treatment
Thyroid Disorder Treatment
Stitching Of Wounds Procedure
Management of Surrogacy
Submit a review for Dr. Rakesh Kumar RanaYour feedback matters!
The bowel is a very important part of your body within the digestive system as it plays a vital role in the absorption of nutrients and minerals within your body as well as excreting toxic matter. The bowel contains the small bowel or small intestine as well as the large bowel or the large intestine. However, parts of the bowel may be infected or damaged in such a manner that they may need to be removed in order to save further worsening. Thus, the removal of sections of the bowels is known as bowel resection surgery.
How is bowel resection surgery performed?
In this procedure, sections of either the large intestine or the small intestine are removed which have either become diseased, infected or have malignant growths within them. The doctors and surgeons first identify the sections that need to be removed and then perform the surgery wherein a section of the tissue is excised and then two ends of the bowel are stitched together to form a new section of continuous small intestine or large intestine.
Types of bowel resection
There are two types of bowel resection, namely small bowel resection performed on the small intestine and large bowel resection performed on the large intestine. The indications for both of them are mentioned below:
Small Bowel resection: Some of the cases wherein small bowel resection may be required are as follows:
- Cancerous or benign polyps or growth
- Precancerous growths and polyps
- Damage to the small intestine due to injuries
- Congenital defects in the small intestine
- Blockages in the intestine
- Growth of ulcers, bleeding, and infection within the small intestine
- Infections within the intestines
- Other disorders of the small intestine
Large bowel resection: Large bowel resection is also carried out due to many of the same reasons as mentioned above. However, some of the specific reasons for large bowel resection are mentioned below:
- Colon cancer
- Diverticulitis, disorder that specifically affects the large intestine
- Bowel inflammation or ulcerative colitis
- Abnormal twisting of the bowel also known as volvulus
- Intestines which slide into another section of the intestine; also known as intussusception
Risks of the bowel resection
Like any other surgery, bowel resection also carries its own risks just as any other form of surgery. Some of the common risks of bowel resection are –
- Adverse reaction to anesthesia
- Heart attacks or strokes during the operation
- Excessive bleeding among others
Specific risks for large and small bowel resections are mentioned as follows:
- Small bowel resection: Certain common risks include accumulation of pus in the abdomen, internal bleeding within the intestine after surgery, diarrhea, infection of the incision area and the stitched area breaking open among others
- Large bowel resection: In this case, tissues protruding through the cut causing an incisional hernia is the most common element of risk. Nearby organs may be damaged as well; scar tissue, problems with the passage of material within the colon among others are some of the other complications.
However, these issues occur rarely and resections are performed very successfully and quite regularly by surgeons.
If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult the doctor and ask a free question.
I did" t get proper motion from last two days but when I feel that motion is coming and go for toilet still do not get and today I got some blood also at the time of motion. Please advice me what should I do.
Hello! I am 20 years old and my height is about 5'3" and weight is about 65 kgs. My problem is that I wakeup in the night 2 to 3 times to go for toilet. Although it doesn't happen in summer due to sweat. But in winter and monsoon it becomes really a problem. My question is that, is it normal? Or I have any issue with my kidney.
Tell me whether eggs meat chicken & Fish do they provide only proteins. What is role of pulses. Does vegetarian Diet increase insulin secretion. What is kidney damage. Why stroke occurs for Diabetics.
I have constipation for more then 10 years. I have tried almost all ayurvedic medicines. Bt I think I want appropriate diet.
My sex drive does not responds quickly when she touches it. I sometimes feel that I am the only one who can control my own penis to get erect. I masturbate frequently. please help!
My husband and me we always have sex like his quench is always satisfied but sometimes he also masturbate. We had a big fight on dis because I I thought he is not satisfied wid me that he is watching porn other people having sex and he is enjoying. Is it because he is not satisfied or what is da reason.
Can you please inform me the best type of Insulin in the country for a low dosage once a day to reduce the sugar level from 270 mg to 110 without any side effects for 65 years old male and diabetic for the last 20 yrs.
I'm love with a girl but she wants to leave me but I can't leave. If she hurts me my eyes are filling with tears . I will do many stupid things when she trying to leave. Don't want to eat food or water , trying to hurt myself for reducing my heart pain. I'm I have mental?
What are the symptoms for erythroblastosis fetalis? Is there any methods available to cure with this disorder? If yes what are those methods?
I have a problem from cold. It's happens monthly in 3 or 4 times. Take antibiotic and cetrazin tablets but no change. And it is irritating me continuously. Please suggest me.
Hi, For the past three days am suffering wit multiple mouth ulcers in my mouth. Because of that am not able to speak also.. This time am affected with big size nd multiples. Can you tell me what is the cause for getting mouth ulcers? How to avoid tat or prevent? Best medicine to cure tat soon??
Pain is in my ankle while I was playing soccer my foot was twisted and this happened twice. Then after one year I started playing soccer and now it still hurts.
Low libido can affect a relationship in a big way. Time and again, an individual, irrespective of their age, gender or occupation can go through phases of low libido. Decreased sexual desire over a longer period of time needs thorough investigation. It could be an indication of something big and serious lying ahead.
Critical factors that attribute to low libido are:
- Stress: An individual's mental and emotional state is greatly reflected in their sexual performance. A sound mental health can enhance a performance thousand folds. On the contrary, factors like depression, anxiety and stress, lowers the sexual desires in a person. To enjoy a healthy and normal sexual life, it is important to keep stress and chronically blue moods at bay.
- Sound sleep: The benefits of a sound sleep are beyond imagination. A good 6 - 8 hours of sleep can do your sexual desires or libido a world of good. A sleep deprived soul will be agitated and cranky, both on and off the bed. Continuous sleep deprivation can also lower the testosterone level, resulting in low libido.
- Smoking: A killer habit, which affects a person's sexual activity is smoking. Drug abuse and drinking (to some extent) can be equally responsible for a low libido.
- Change in weight: A sudden change in body weight (gain or loss) can play a significant role in low libido. Take pride in your body structure. There is nothing to be ashamed of.
- Take a break: Boredom can mask your sexual life greatly. Break the monotony, take short breaks, go on vacations and low libido will be a thing of the past. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a sexologist.
I have to go for toilet to pass urine as many as minimum 5 times during night. I am facing this problem from long time, it doesn't usually throughout d 7 days in week, whenever I am out f my space I feel as normal as any other person, people r saying dat may b I am suffering 4m sugar but I hav no history of diabetes in mah family and my lifestyle is also not bad in terms of food intake n I also go 2gym 4m d last 1 month.
3. Red grapefruit
7. Fish like salmon, tuna
8. Flax seeds
12. Nuts ie. Walnut, almonds, pistachios
14. Red onions