Lybrate.com has top trusted Pediatricians from across India. You will find Pediatricians with more than 34 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Pediatricians online in Delhi and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. R A Devarshi
Treatment of Child and Adolescent Problems
Thyroid Problems Treatment
Thyroid Disorder Treatment
Paediatric Critical Care
Treatment of Childhood Infections
Child Nutrition Management
Growth And Development Including General Paediatri
Management of New Born Care
Preimplantation Genetic Diagnosis (Pgd)
Congenital Ear Problem Treatment
Treatment of Polycystic Ovary Syndrome In Adolesce
Treatment of Thyroid Disease in Children
Cleft Lip Treatment
Submit a review for Dr. R A DevarshiYour feedback matters!
If your child has become increasingly addicted to sweets and other sugary items, this addiction can lead to certain behavioral problems (like mood swings, irritability, anger, etc) in children. Moreover, a high sugar intake can lead to your child falling prey to serious diseases and conditions, including diabetes, obesity and cardiovascular diseases.
Here's what you can do to break your child's indulgent habits and wean him from ill-health causing culprits like cakes, ice creams, candies, chocolates and rich and creamy desserts etc.
1. Practice what you preach -
In order to develop healthy eating habits in your child, it is imperative for you as a parent to lead by example. When it comes to weaning your child from sugary foods and sweets, you yourself should limit your intake. So, if you tell your child to avoid sweets but love sweets yourself, you'd be setting a bad example by eating them yourself and not letting your child have them. The best thing to do is to be a role model to your child as children learn everything from their parents.
2. Curb consumption of sugar by deferring intake to a later date -
Instead of depriving your child completely, it would prove to be more useful to tell them that they could have sweets on some other day. This is because if you deny him his indulgence, your child would invariably go on an eating spree the moment an opportunity arises. A study on a group of restrained eaters and non-diet individuals revealed that restrained eaters were found to consume more food than the non-dieting individuals. Not knowing when they could have their favourite foods again, they went on an eating spree.
Make frequent yet small offerings of sweets while explaining to him the importance of moderation and why he/she shouldn't overindulge but space out sugar intake.
3. Try the 90/10 rule -
Teaching older children the 90/10 principle is another sure-shot way of breaking your child?'s addiction to sweets. The rule calls for 90% of the diet to be made up of healthy food with the remaining 10% being devoted to foods your child wants to indulge in such as junk food, sweets or foods with high sugar content. The total calorie intake that arises from consumption of about 10% or 1-2 fun foods is only about 100-200 calories everyday.
4. Present your child with healthy alternatives to sugary items -
The next time your child wants to indulge in his sugar craving, instead of giving a processed sugary food, give healthier sweet foods like dates, honey or a fresh sweet fruit. Consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
My baby is 9.5mths old. He used to have semi solid food watching cartoon. After returning back from our native place i. E. Udupi, he has stopped eating semi solid food as he used to have before. He also does not watch cartoon on TV as before while eating food. He drinks cows milk properly. It was hot in our native place and we used to give him cerelac and dal rice smashed. He is afraid of strangers and cries a lot. Please advice how to get my baby eat like before. What is the real cause of his change in behavior.
My 1.4 Year child not eat food well. Before 15 days he ate well. Consume only milk and Curd rice. We give Albendazole but there is no improvement for a week. So please suggest me.
Meri 1 year 6 month old baby h. Usko loose motion ho rhe h. Or latrine me khoon aa ra h. Khoon kyu aa ra h? Or vo bahut kmjor ho gya h please give solution.
Building your child’s confidence and self image is an important part of raising a child. Self image can be defined as a child’s view of himself and his strengths. If a child is comfortable with his self image, he will have confidence in himself. A foundation of self confidence is key to a child’s success in his adult life. In their childhood years, a parent is the main source of building a child’s self worth or self confidence.
Here are a few ways you can develop your child’s self confidence.
- Avoid negative self talk: Children learn by watching their parents. Hearing parents berate themselves will make children do the same. Talking badly about yourself can reinforce a low self esteem. Hence avoid talking negatively about yourself and stop your child from doing it as well. If your child talks negatively about himself, give him evidence to prove the opposite or give them meaningful compliments. Also avoid calling your child names to shame him as these are likely to stay ingrained in his mind.
- Celebrate uniqueness: Don’t make your child feel like he has to live up to the standards set by siblings or peers. Further, do not pressurize them to fulfill your dreams. Recognize your child’s strengths and celebrate his unique abilities. Help them develop their talents and set their own standards for themselves.
- Let your child make decisions: Empower your child by allowing them to make decisions about simple things like what game to play or what to eat for dinner. Make them feel that their views are valued and thus teach them to be an active member of the family.
- Let them work things out for themselves: Spoon feeding your child makes things easier at the time, but in the long run can have a negative effect on their self-confidence. Be patient and let your child try and do things for himself. As he meets and overcomes new challenges, his confidence will grow. Give your child age appropriate chores to do around the house. This helps build responsibility and a feeling of competency.
- Be genuine about your praise: Children are highly intuitive and can tell the difference between sincere praise and something being said merely for the sake of it. For example, if your child has made a drawing, instead of simply telling your child that he is an artist in the making be more specific and praise his choice or colors or the ability of coloring within the lines.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
My baby is 10 month old. He is drinking formula milk plus my milk. In day time and evening time I give him Buffalo milk. Fruits and vegetables in day time. But in night time my baby wants formula milk .His present weight is 8 .95. Is it is good to have formula milk in night time.
Hello everyone. I’m Dr Kriti Mathur, homoeopathic physician, practising in Gurgaon. I also provide psychological and nutritional counselling. Today I’ll be talking about behavioural disorders in children.
There are some children who are very active, they are hyperactive, and they just cannot sit idle in a place. They cannot sit in a place, they constantly start playing with their hands and constantly move their hands, or they start playing with whatever they can lay their hands upon. These children are inattentive, they just don’t pay attention in class, they’re physically present there, but their mind is elsewhere. They are unable to complete their tasks because they haven’t been paying attention to the instructions they had been given, they are disorganized and start losing their stuff. These children are also impulsive, they’ll unnecessarily disturb the class by asking irrelevant questions or they’ll ask very personal questions to their teachers, they’ll talk unnecessarily, disturbing or intercepting between other people’s conversations. So you might be getting a call from the school counsellor pointing out the symptoms.
So as a parent, we need to understand that this is not because of bad parenting or because your child is disobedient, but this is a medical condition which is called Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder. As a parent, what we can do to help our child is:
- First to make a schedule for the child, give the instructions to the child in a very clear, concise language, simple language which the child can understand. Every time the child follows those instructions or completes his tasks, please appreciate him and in case he is unable to complete the task or he is unable to follow those instructions, repeat them, but do not scold them, it is not going to solve any problem.
- Secondly, you have to involve them in a number of tasks like sports, yoga, a place where they can use the extra energy that they have.
- About the diet, do not give sugar items, no chocolates, toffees, candies because that will give them a sugar high and they will find it difficult to consume that energy. It is better to give a diet that is rich in complex carbohydrates and proteins so that the energy is slowly utilized.
Regarding the treatment, homoeopathic treatment is very effective, we provide constitutional treatment for these children. So if you have a child who has any of these symptoms, please feel free to consult me via Lybrate or you can consult me in my clinic at Sushant Lok, Phase 1 or Anahat at DLF Phase 3.
I am Dr. my 6 year old boy his cavity problem last six months he was eating chocolate daily What should I do for him.
ADHD, which stands for Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder, is a chronic brain condition that leads to difficulty in prolonging attention on to a single thing, impulsiveness and hyperactivity. Though it mostly affects children and teenagers, it often continues into adult life as well, and can pose serious issues in adult lives - specially in maintaining jobs and relationships.
Effects of ADHD on your sex life:
- Impulsivity: If you are suffering from ADHD, it is highly probable that you are often very impulsive in nature - and are susceptible to taking a number of risky decisions, such as unprotected sex.
- Attention-deficit problems: Since your thoughts are often jumping from one thought to the other, you will find it very difficult to actually concentrate on any single job at hand. Since sex requires attention and use of judgment, distractions can prove to be detrimental to a healthy sex life.
- Hyper-sexuality: This refers to the condition of an unnaturally high sex drive. It is basically caused by the stimulation of the brain by the release of endorphins during sexual arousal, which often leads to calmness and relaxes the restlessness that is otherwise so common to ADHD patients.
- Hypo-sexuality: This is exact opposite of hypersexuality. This condition refers to an unnaturally low sex drive, where you may often lose all interest in sexual activity completely. Often, this is a product of ADHD itself, but it can also be attributed to being a side effect of a certain type of medication, especially anti-depressants.
- Other disorders: Women suffering from ADHD have been known to have difficulties in achieving orgasm, often in spite of prolonged sexual stimulation. Also, if you are suffering from ADHD, you may also tend to be hypersensitive - which implies, something that feels pleasurable to your partner, may be painful or irritating for you.
Certain suggested treatments for improving the sex lives of people suffering from ADHD are:
- Including variety in sexual activity, such as different locations, positions etc.
- Communication, which proves very beneficial in combating intimacy issues
- Prioritize, and try to stay in the moment and not zone out, if you are suffering from ADHD disorders
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!