Lybrate.com has top trusted Gynaecologists from across India. You will find Gynaecologists with more than 41 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Gynaecologists online in Delhi and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. Pushpa Chandra
Management of Abortion
Caesarean Section Procedure
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Termination Of Pregnancy Procedure
Treatment Of Pregnancy Problems
Well Woman Healthcheck
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Treatment Of Medical Diseases In Pregnancy
Treatment Of Menstrual Problems
Intra-Uterine Insemination (IUI) Treatment
Medical Termination Of Pregnancy (Mtp) Procedure
Gynecology Laparoscopy Procedures
Pap Smear Procedure
Submit a review for Dr. Pushpa ChandraYour feedback matters!
Monthly menstrual cycles become a part of woman’s life after a certain stage. They get accustomed to it and adapt their lifestyle too. However, there could be abnormal vaginal bleeding, which is defined as:
Bleeding that is outside of the menstrual cycle (bleeding outside of the expected dates). This is also known as intermenstrual bleeding or metrorrhagia.
- Menstrual bleeding that is abnormally low or high as compared to your regular flow
- Before menarche (before 9 years of age), during pregnancy, or after menopause
Causes: It is important to realise that abnormal vaginal bleeding is only a symptom and not the disease per se. In most women, there are underlying reasons that lead to abnormal bleeding, some of them are listed below.
In some women, ovulation can cause a mid-cycle bleeding, which becomes a pattern for most women, and they know it is nothing to worry about.
- Miscarriage or ectopic pregnancy: Vaginal bleeding is the most common symptom of miscarriage and requires immediate medical attention.
- Hormonal imbalances: This can be caused due to starting and stopping of birth control pills, thyroid abnormalities, or ovarian malfunctions. This requires investigation and management based on the underlying cause.
- Polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS): This presence of multiple cysts in the ovaries also has hormonal changes and can cause bleeding in affected women.
- Infections: Infections along the gynecologic tract including the vagina, cervix, uterus, fallopian tubes, and ovaries can cause bleeding. Sexually transmitted infections including gonorrhoea and chlamydia are also causes for bleeding
- Pelvic inflammatory disease (PID): It can cause inflammation of the entire gynecologic tract and induce bleeding
- An abnormally placed intrauterine device (IUD): It can also alter the regular menstrual flow.
- Other reasons: Fibroids, endometriosis, cancers of the uterine cavity are other reasons for abnormal vaginal bleeding.
Prevention/Management of vaginal bleeding: Abnormal bleeding requires investigation to find out the underlying cause and needs to be treated accordingly.
- Birth control: When using birth control measures, be it pills or patches, expect some bleeding during the first 3 months before things settle down. Similarly, intrauterine devices can cause some bleeding (foreign body effect).
- Pregnancy complications: Bleeding during pregnancy requires immediate medical attention. In most cases, it indicates a miscarriage or ectopic pregnancy (where the embryo is planted in the fallopian tubes and not the uterus).
- Infections: While STDs can be prevented, once acquired, like other infections, they also require antibiotics and supportive care.
- Medical conditions: Be it polycystic ovaries, fibroids, endometriosis, cancer, or PID, all these require detailed investigation and management on a case-to-case basis.
If you experience abnormal vaginal bleeding, do not ignore it and reach out for medical help.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
Pregnancy is a life altering experience for all expecting mothers. During the gestation period, each and every cell of a woman’s body undergoes a full transformation. There needs to be perfect harmony between the various aspects of the woman and her baby’s health for the pregnancy to progress smoothly. Any imbalance, however, can lead to a range of problems that will require special care.
Ayurveda is one of the most effective kinds of therapies that help deal with problems of pregnancy. During this period, using Ayurveda to support your health could be most helpful for the development of your baby. Ayurveda will help you effectively deal with all kinds of pregnancy complications such as high blood pressure, fluid retention, spotting, etc.
Following are some of the ways in which you can use Ayurveda to deal with all the various problems of pregnancy:
- Ayurvedic herbal massages: Opting for a daily Ayurvedic massage with herbal oils can induce well-being in both mother and child. These have a very positive impact on the sensory nervous system and you feel calmn during the period of gestation.
- Dealing with morning sickness: Morning sickness is a common pregnancy problem and in Ayurveda, it is known as Garbhini Charddi. There are many Ayurvedic remedies for morning sickness which include matala rasayana (10 grams of it is to be mixed with honey and consumed twice a day), eladi vati (an Ayurvedic medication that helps relieve cough, vomiting and cold), eladi choorna (with elaichi as one of its important ingredients, this Ayurvedic concoction is used to treat indigestion, vomiting and excessive thirst), etc.
- Balancing the vata: According to Ayurvedic principles, the growth of the foetus is aided by the energies known as apana vata and prana vata which fulfil the needs of the pregnancy. It is important to maintain a good balance between these vata for dealing with all the problems that come with pregnancy. The simplest way to do this is to adhere to a healthy and wholesome Ayurvedic diet and avoid all foods that cause harm to the system.
These are just a few examples of dealing with pregnancy related problems with the help of Ayurveda. The most important aspect of Ayurveda is that is treats all the problems at the very root and provides a holistic remedy. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult an ayurveda.