Lybrate.com has an excellent community of Physiotherapists in India. You will find Physiotherapists with more than 31 years of experience on Lybrate.com. Find the best Physiotherapists online in DELHI. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Back Pain Treatment
Treatment of Neck Pain
Spinal Surgery Disorders
Treatment of Pain in Ribs
Treatment of Slip Disc
Treatment of Neurological Problems
Treatment of Frozen Shoulder
Treatment of Knee replacement
Treatment of Buttock Pain
Treatment of Nerve And Muscle Disorders
Treatment of Shoulder Injuries
Treatment of Hip Disorders
Neuro Physiotherapy Treatment
Treatment of Knee Injury
Pregnancy Exercise Therapy
Treatment of Sports Injuries
Submit a review for Dr. Punnam GuptaYour feedback matters!
Patient Review Highlights
I found the answers provided by the Dr. Punnam Gupta to be very helpful, knowledgeable, thorough, practical and saved my life. Thanks.
My feet is paining all the time and I feel restless leg all the time and I cannot walk bear foot. Can you please suggest a padded or cushion socks or slippers to use at home.
Are you a runner? In case you are, then it is vital that you understand what your body needs to run extra miles. It's not just about running, it's all about how you can push yourself until the end of finishing line or your target.
Generic Tips for Beginners
- Right Shoes- Most Important: Go for specialised running shoes that are easily available in the market now at an affordable price. It is advisable to buy a shoe which is one size up.
- Support- A Must: For women, it's a must to go for a good sports bra. It's meant for flat-chested women as well. This will avoid any kind of discomfort such as sagging of breasts, or even pain and discomfort.
Remember that excess running affects Cooper's ligament that supports the breasts.
If you are a man, go for tight but comfy underwear. That will reduce abrasion.
Keep a Close Watch: In the initial stage, you should run only comfortable miles. Gear up with a close-fitting comfortable sports outfit so that you can breathe, and your sweat is whipped.
Watch your Pace: Running is different than cycling or swimming. Even if you have mastered other sports, go slow with running. Gradual increase is always advisable.
Need a Commitment: Track your progress. Run at least thrice a week.
Specific Physio Tips
- Run and Rest: Rest is equally important. When you run, your body needs time to repair. It means body needs a balance of tissue wear and tear and tissue fortification.
- Know you Injury Cause: You must identify what's the cause of your injury so that accordingly you deal with it. Many websites can help you with that.
- What does your Body Say? Initially, it's normal that your body aches at few spots. Use a simple formula of RICE (rest, ice, compress and elevate) However, if it persists, then see a physiotherapist.
- Toughen: You need to identify your weaknesses so that you work on them to toughen yourself. Calf muscles, glutes and quads are commonly affected. Tough muscles absorb the effect more efficiently.
- Steady: You need to have control on your movements. Poor control leads to adverse effect on running. You can check it by assessing your single leg balance and single knee dip. Check if your body is balanced.
- Stretch your Body: This helps you to get rid of muscle tightness or joint stiffness.
- Adapt: Listen to your body and adopt the method of running that gives you painless run.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
I have a cervical spondylosis and bulge in disc and I have left arm pain also. The pain come and goes is it the sign of heart problem or is it because of cervical spondylosis problem? And worried.
Sir I am having pain on my shoulders, neck and back side of head since 3-4 years. Is that a cervical pain or something else.
Kavita nagpal is an attractive , outgoing and jovial women of 35 Married for last 15 yr. with affectionate and care and caring husband , steady income , two teenaged kid growing up beautifully.One can't expect any thing more from life But for Kavita happiness seems elusive. .So much so that now its started affecting her daily life . An orthopedics colleague of mine referred her to me .The x-ray report mention no abnormality in spinal vertebrae placement . However my colleague call me to say the case is peculiar as clinically there is no abnormality. personally go through the case file and couldn't agree more. kavita 's jovial mood now slipping depression by the week ,I can almost see her in pain.I wonder what could be the problem.After long clinical enquiries myself one day I decide to ask about her life in general, hoping that it might give some vital clue for diagnosis . Kavita initially narrates a jovial happy life , but after getting over the formal barrier blurts it out . Bingo ,now know the pressure point . she lacks of satisfying sexual life. Currently her sexual urges and that of her husband miles apart.Now a days lovemaking sees almost once a month even less .It’s not that she hasn't thought of coxing her hubby into it , but fear of rejection stop her . Not to forget shame of a mother of teenaged kids with an unsatisfied sexual desire .Her husband is caring and affectionate, otherwise a perfect husband . But it's only the the is simply not interested. Women Kavita is wreathing within left high and dry.
My prescription is now more of counselling than physiotherapy.I tell her to more assertive for her needs to her husband ,try and bring in variety to lovemaking,after all variety is the spice of life, And moreover why hesitate to ask to the batter half about one's need. Haven't they taken vows to take care of each other while tying the nuptial cord?My perscription work, the reluctant husband ultimately gives in. now Kavita is happy , her backache seems to be a bad dream to yesterday.( its take almost 5 month)she thanx me profusely as if asked her life . Well after all i just did my job ,alleviating pain of my patient
Yes good active and fulfilling sexual life is almost a panacea to a lot of ailments when you inch towards middle age . Kavita case is just typical case that afflict most of today's couples in there late 30's it's the time you get preoccupied with all other aspects of life,career , money, loans, kid's , studies, housewife and father.Sex gets pushed back to last priority list.Add to that there is a tendency in indian culture not to venture beyond certain position of lovemaking.Going beyond that might raise suspicion of being lower virtue , even in the eyes of the spouse.Thus love making after so many year become monotonous and boring.Then the teenaged kids at home make even more difficult. What if they got to know?After all but know what is sex is all about.I wonder at time how long more would it take to realize that sex after all is not in the prerogative of the younger lot Men and women at any given age need sex not merely to satisfy the physical urge. more important is it takes care of overall psychosomatic health of being .I am sure anybody who has experienced sex lovemaking even once in life will agree to its therapeutic value . sex is definitely different then four letter word .,So why so much brouhaha created about it After all we are human being and have our needs ."VATSAYANA" the 8th century indian author has mentioned wide variety of posture of lovemaking to spice up love life in the much -celebrated verses of" KAMASUTRA". why now the once flourishing art form has lost to antiquity. why to hesitate to ask the spouse to bring in variety in to love life, when you know it will rekindle the spark back to life. This issue remind me of the often quoted anecdote of two much cultured nobleme of "LUCKNOW"Richly indoctrinated to the "Tehzeeb" way of life miss the train in the confusion of "Pehle Aap- Pehle Aap", you first sir .Get over the reluctance and be more assertive in your need . Mind you to be polite while doing it, remember the power of persuasion that has brought in so many successes earlier.Handling teenaged kids ,of course you want to grow them perfect,imbibing right value . et them know the importance of physical intimacy in relationship that cradles in love. Let them know them differance between sex and lovemaking . Of Course know where to draw the line . start the education of life at home
I assure you they will grow up being more responsible a person , knowing the difference between reckless sex and solicited love relationship.
Sexual fitness and important parameter of general well being. From kavita's case we can see that good sex reduces chance of lots of ailment .I am sure my colleagues from other department would agree here. Statistically it has been proven that a lot of disability often stems from lack of good sex life .Kavita excruciating backache was real of her , though the x-ray report never could show any degeneration in spine , spinal cord or vertical column. I have handled many cases where men and women in their 30's and early 40's suffer from pain down the pain neck, and arm tingling sensation and numbness in finger, nausea , vertigo etc.Earlier diagnosis to a trapped nerve in some cases the pain is so severe that have to wear cervical collar . in many cases with such symptoms , my prescription has been to spice up and reactivate their sex life and voila, pain is alleviated .The core problem in case of Kavita was boredom and anxiety.Once that was healed , all resultant physical pains vanished.One must not underestimate the importance of mental well being.With all technical and medical advancement will follow the classical method of healing .I just listened to Kavita thus I could find the source of her pain .But i too wonder, she had spoken with her husband she wouldn't have had to go through the pain at all.I guess like marital discords a lot of ailments can be cured just by talking it out with your spouse.Of course there are some cases where it surely need medical investigation. But if talking is a panacea , then i am all for this type self prescription .
As you inch towards mid life , a lot of physiological change start happening in your body and so does in your sexuality. Man take longer to get aroused. This leads to fear.There is nothing more self-destructive than fear of failure in bed. Lack of vitality of younger days make men not approach sex at all then fear attain failure. sexual desire being governed by `psychological stimuli,this perceived fear of failure rather leads to impotence.I suggest women take more care hare. you have to make him feel comfortable with this new change that has set in his body . Assure him that sex is not all about penetrating an erect penis to a vagina .Awaken him to the new , varied and exciting world of foreplay. soon you both would realize that what you had perceived as a hindrance of sexual life has turned out to be boom. My suggestion to men is overcome the fear of non - performance. Believe me no woman wants a macho men during love making .All they want is a caring man who respond to her needs.I don't think i have to remind you here that sex is a more of a psychological exercise for women.Titillate her passion with elongated foreplay session.At times let her take bigger role in action while you get ready for perform your real job.Believe me whoever coined the proverb "slow and steady wins the race "could not farther than the truth . Relax you have whole life to spend together so why hurry.You would realize that your slow erection and late ejucalation has give more time to enjoy thenthe previous.
"Bam bam,thank Ma'am"episod . you both would wake up to a bright new day looking forward to face this rough world with more vigor and vitality.
Remember , sweeping problem below the carpet has never solved the problem till date .The first step towards improving sexual relationship is to start talking about it .Acknowledge first that there exists a problem . Assure each other that that's sex is different now then what it was when you met for first time .Bringing up kids , working harder for promotion, looking for a better apartment when you inching to 40 year doesn't necessarily mean end to the sexual life .Try and visit together to get over inhibitions to talk about the sexual aspects of your life .After All charity begins at home and so does Phealing .
Most of us suffer from lower back pain at some point in our lives; be it from a sedentary lifestyle, spending hours at the office desk or from strenuous physical exercises. In most cases, a little bit of rest does the trick. However, if the lower back pain persists for 3-6 weeks, physiotherapy is recommended.
How does physiotherapy help?
The main purpose behind physiotherapy is reducing lower back pain and increasing muscle and bone function, so that such instances are avoided in the future. Physiotherapy is the first line of defence against lower back pain. More drastic measures such as surgery are undertaken once physiotherapy fails to do is job.
Physiotherapy is often recommended when the back pain is caused due to lifestyle factors, a minor injury like a fall or other moderate factors. For more severe back injuries, doctors recommend surgery straight away when there is no scope of performing physiotherapy.
A physical therapy program for back pain usually has two components:
- Passive physical therapy to help reduce the patient's pain to a more manageable level
- Active exercises
Passive Physical Therapy - Modalities
The physical therapist may focus on decreasing pain with passive physical therapy (modalities). These therapies are considered passive because they are done to the patient. Examples include:
- Heat/ice packs
- TENS units
Active Physical Therapy - Back Pain Exercises
In addition to passive therapies, active physical therapy (exercise) is also necessary to rehabilitate the spine. Here are some of the common exercises for back pain:
- Back Stretch: Put your hands underneath your head while lying back. Bend your knees but put your feet on the ground. Roll your legs to one side and hold them there for 10 seconds. Repeat three times for each side.
- Deep Lunge: For this, you need to kneel on one knee with the other foot pointed towards the front. Lift the back knee up and hold it there for five seconds and then bring it down. Repeat this exercise three times for each side.
- One Leg Stand: This is the simplest of exercises. Hold on to a wall for support while standing and face towards it. Then slowly hold one leg and bend it behind you. Hold in the same position for five seconds before bringing it down. Repeat the process three times for each leg in five second gaps.
Arthritis is inflammation of one or more of your joints. Pain, swelling, and stiffness are the primary symptoms of arthritis. Any joint in the body may be affected by the disease, but it is particularly common in the knee.
Knee arthritis can make it hard to do many everyday activities, such as walking or climbing stairs. It is a major cause of lost work time and a serious disability for many people. There are 2 types of arthritis the knee joint in the human body can get afflicted with. They are:
Osteoarthritis: The form of arthritis which, with increasing pain, slowly wears down the joint cartilages is called osteoarthritis. This form of arthritis usually affects people after the age 40. The symptoms of osteoarthritis include:
severe pain in the knee joints
pain after walking up the stairs and it subsiding once you are on rest
severe pain after the movement of joints for a long time
pain that becomes worse in rainy days
joints becoming stiff after waking up in the morning but they improve in the latter part of the day
pain which also occurs in the thighs and the genital regions coupled with joints swelling and joints getting stiff after rest.
Rheumatoid Arthritis: Rheumatoid arthritis is a chronic form of arthritis caused because of the knee joint inflammations. This form of arthritis can occur at any age. Being an auto-immune disease, its symptoms include, but are not limited to:
severe pain in the morning
mild fever accompanying the pain
joints suddenly becoming swollen, red and warm causing, immense pain
sudden stiffness of the joints
pain that increases in cold weather
mild fever, extreme tiredness and weakening of the muscles
Doctors are still doubtful about what exactly causes the disease; but the deformation of the immune system might cause the damage of the joints, causing people who are already suffering from obesity, smokers, and women, in general, more prone to this disease.
When the knee pain is diagnosed as a form of arthritis, the following treatments are suggested:
If you are overweight or obese, losing some of those extra pounds can go a long way in reducing the pain.
Muscle-stretching exercises are effective in keeping the knee joints flexible.
Acupuncture and devices such as knee braces and knee caps can relieve the pain.
Prescribed dosage of anti-inflammatory drugs such as Tylenol, Motrin, and Advil or injections of hyaluronic acid might relieve your pain.
- If regular treatments do not work, you might opt for knee-replacement surgery and osteotomy (the process of cutting a bone with the help of surgery) which might better the alignment of the knee by transforming the bone shapes.
Physiotherapy For Knee Arthritis-
Physiotherapy treatment is aimed at improving the symptoms of the disease (i.e. knee pain, swelling, stiffness), and you should begin to notice a positive difference within one or a few physiotherapy sessions.
The main goals of physiotherapy for your knee arthritis are:
- Reduce your knee pain and inflammation.
- Normalise your knee joint range of motion.
- Strengthen your knee: esp quadriceps (esp VMO) and hamstrings.
- Strengthen your lower limb: calves, hip and pelvis muscles.
- Improve your patellofemoral (knee cap) alignment and function.
- Normalise your muscle lengths.
- Improve your proprioception, agility and balance.
- Improve your technique and function eg walking, squatting. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a Physiotherapist.
I am 24 years old and I met with an accident 50 days back which cause hairline fracture on my left elbow. I have x-ray twice and its confirm hairline fracture ,when I take pain killers it will be ok but when I skip it after completion of doses then pain occurs. please help me out.
Hi, when I climb the stairs I also hear a cracking sound in my knee and if I keep my hand around my knee while sitting then just moving my knee like a rotation it is like a sound or feel like using an machine without oiling it (means its like no friction within my knees). What should I consume and what are the precautions. Significantly what are the exercises to get rid of it.
I had a operation of snapping peroneal tendon on 21 June. It's been two months. Still I'm not able to move my ankle upward or I say I am not able to do complete movement of ankle. I told doctor about that they said do exercise of ankle it will automatically move fully. So my question is how long it will take to move my ankle 360'
The knee is one of the largest and most important joints of our body. It is also susceptible to wear and tear as well as injuries. Knee pain can occur due to a variety of reasons starting from conditions like arthritis and osteoporosis as well as injuries that can affect the ligaments, the joint, the menisci and femur. These are the various parts of the knees, which can suffer from degeneration or even injuries. The best way to combat chronic knee pain is through rest, ice compress and with the help of pain relieving and anti-inflammatory medication.
While rest and ice compress for chronic knee pain and pain relieving and anti-inflammatory medication are the best ways to combat knee pain, orthopaedics also recommend the use of various strengthening exercises which can alleviate knee pain. Here are a few of the best ones!
- The Towel Hook: Lie down flat on your back and raise one leg, Hook a towel under the foot and press it against the towel as you pull both ends downwards, creating slight pressure. This can be done for a few seconds at a time. Remember to do this at least ten times for each foot and increase gradually. This exercise helps in strengthening your entire leg from the calf to the knee and even the thighs so that the pain subsides.
- Towel Roll: In towel roll exercise, after pushing knee, should do dorsiflexion and hold for 20 seconds.. Hamstring exercises are also given by placing roll towel under your feet, push down, dorsiflexion and hold for 20 seconds Adductor exercises are also given by placing small ball between your legs just above the knee joint, press and hold for 20seconds.
- Swing: For this exercise, you will need to sit down on a chair. Now take one leg and swing it up until it is in line with your hip. Hold it out like this before you slowly bring it down again. Do this at least twenty to thirty times for each leg and gradually increase the frequency and the number of seconds for which you hold the knee. This will also help in pain management.
- Knee Marches: You can also do knee marches by sitting down on a chair. You will need to march each knee up and down at least twenty to thirty times. You will need to do this for a few minutes every day and you can easily do it twice a day even when you are at work, sitting in front of a desk. You must ensure that your posture is straight and upright for this exercise. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a Physiotherapist.