Lybrate.com has an excellent community of Gynaecologists in India. You will find Gynaecologists with more than 28 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Gynaecologists online in Delhi and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. Priya Lakshmi
Management of Abortion
Caesarean Section Procedure
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Termination Of Pregnancy Procedure
Treatment Of Pregnancy Problems
Well Woman Healthcheck
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Treatment Of Medical Diseases In Pregnancy
Treatment Of Menstrual Problems
Intra-Uterine Insemination (IUI) Treatment
Medical Termination Of Pregnancy (Mtp) Procedure
Gynecology Laparoscopy Procedures
Pap Smear Procedure
Submit a review for Dr. Priya LakshmiYour feedback matters!
Myelopathy refers to any neurological deficit pertaining to the spinal cord. The three most common types of myelopathy are Cervical myelopathy, Lumbar myelopathy and Thoracic myelopathy. Here are the causes and symptoms of myelopathy.
- Injury: This is a very common cause of myelopathy. Any type of accident or even a traumatic event can cause myelopathy and perhaps even paralysis.
- Spinal stenosis: This is a condition in which the spinal cord narrows and is one of the leading causes of myelopathy.
- Degenerative disc disorders: As you get older, disc disorders are more likely to occur, as well as other conditions which affect the spinal column, such as osteoporosis, etc.
- Tumor: It is a little known fact that tumors very often do cause myelopathy.
- Multiple sclerosis: There are many other diseases, which may cause myelopathy and multiple sclerosis is one of them.
There are many indications that you are suffering from myelopathy and should consult a medical expert. Here are some of them:
- Change in coordination: It refers to the state, wherein, all of a sudden you may find it harder to move certain limbs the way you want to. Sometimes, it may affect your whole body as well.
- Sudden muscle weakness: It is highly likely, that if you have myelopathy then you will experience sudden weakness in your muscles.
- Decreased hand-eye coordination: This is perhaps the biggest indicator of myelopathy since hand-eye coordination is directly linked to your spinal cord and brain and if they are not functioning properly then hand-eye coordination will be affected.
These are just some of the symptoms of myelopathy, however, the doctor cannot diagnose myelopathy until he conduct certain tests. These tests include MRI scans and other tests as well as a regular physical check-up along with a check of your medical history.
Dilation and curettage is a surgical procedure where the cervix (the lower part of uterus) is dilated and tissues are removed from the inside of the uterus. The procedure is usually done to treat heavy menstrual bleeding or clean the lining of the uterus after an abortion or miscarriage.
During the procedure, the cervix is dilated with medication and a thin surgical instrument is inserted through the vagina. This instrument is then used to scrape (curettage) the uterine tissues.
Reasons for Conducting the Procedure
Dilation and curettage is mostly done to either treat or diagnose certain uterine disorders. Dilation and curettage is recommended if your doctor needs to diagnose conditions such as:
1. Irregular uterine bleeding
2. Postmenopausal bleeding
3. Discovery of unnatural endometrial cells while conducting a common test for cervical cancer
Sometimes, the doctor can take a sample tissue from the uterus and perform tests on it to check for the following conditions:
1. Uterine cancer
2. Uterine polyps (abnormal tissue growth)
3. Endometrial hyperplasia (precancerous thickening of the uterine lining)
Dilation and curettage, when used for therapeutic purposes, is used in the treatment of the following conditions:
1. To clear away molar pregnancy; which is characterized by formation of tumours.
2. To treat heavy bleeding after childbirth; any remaining placenta in the uterus is removed.
3. To remove benign uterine or cervical polyps.
4. To clear away fibroids (benign tumours which form on the uterine wall)
5. To remove any tissue that could have been left behind after an abortion or miscarriage to prevent heavy bleeding or infection
What needs to be considered before opting for it?
The procedure of dilation and curettage is mostly safe. Complications from this procedure are rare, but some factors should always be taken care off.
1. The surgical instrument can perforate or poke a hole in the uterus. Sometimes, perforations can heal on their own; but if any organ or blood vessel gets damaged, then another surgery will be required.
2. The cervix can be damaged during the procedure. The doctor can stitch the wound close, or apply pressure on the wound to stop the bleeding.
3. Sometimes, there might be scar tissues on the wall of the uterus. This can cause irregular, painful or absent menstrual cycles, augment risks of infertility and future miscarriages. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a doctor and ask a free question.
The kidneys are the main part of the urinary system, which also includes the bladder, the ureter, and the urethra. Infections reach the urinary system either through the urethra or from the bloodstream when there is an infection elsewhere. Most infections are limited to the bladder and the ureter but when an infection reaches a kidney, it can be a lot more dangerous and require immediate attention.
Causes: This can be an acute or a chronic condition.
- Acute condition more often happens subsequent to a bladder infection, which is not completely cured
- Chronic condition develops due to recurrent infections, kidney stones, kidney failure, and impaired renal flow
- People who have impaired immunity, poorly controlled diabetes, and higher blood pressure levels are at risk
- Women and pregnancy in particular increases the risk, as the urethra in women is shorter and puts them at greater risk of developing the infection
Similar to any infection, pyelonephritis also includes general symptoms like:
- High fever with shaking chills
- Abdominal fullness
- General lethargy and fatigue
- Vomiting and diarrhea
- Warm skin with profuse sweating
- Severe cases can present with confusion
More specific symptoms include:
- Abdominal/flank pain on either side
- Bloody or cloudy urine that can be foul-smelling
- Increased frequency and urgency
- Feeling of incomplete emptying
- Painful urination
- Clinical exam can present with tenderness in the flank region
- Blood culture can reveal infection
- Urinalysis reveals impaired urine function including high levels of protein and blood
- CT scan of the abdomen area may reveal swollen kidneys
- Kidney biopsy, scan, and ultrasound may be very rarely required
- This is an acute condition, and when the elderly/pregnant are affected, immediate treatment is required
- Antibiotics are required to control the infection. The blood culture can guide to the most effective antibiotic.
- Pain relief requires the use of pain killers
- Acute cases may require admission to the hospital, with additional hydration support
- If the patient is not able to retain oral medications, they may be given as injections (antiobiotics and pain killers)
- Chronic cases may require longer use of antibiotics. Also, given the risk factors, recurrent infections need to be constantly
- Potential complications include kidney failure, recurrent infections, and chronic sepsis which can result in infection in the other organs
- Hygienic toilet habits, particularly when using public restrooms
- Hygienic sexual habits, to prevent entry of bacteria into the urinary tract
- Adequate hydration to ensure wastes and bacteria are eliminated
- Immediate treatment if you are prone for recurrent urinary infections
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
Sir last three months we have not sex. Bcoz my wife give a birth to baby boy three months back. Am very interested in sex but she will not interested.
I am 2 month pregnant. This is my second pregnancy. My first pregnancy was premature. Will my second one will b same?
Vata diseases. Dryness of the body. Constipation. Neuro muscular skeletal diseases. Preparation for detoxification therapy (vaman and virechana). Oleation (snehana) – internal is carried out as singular therapeutic measure for many diseases but in majority of the cases it is done as preparatory treatment for shodhana therapy (vaman and virechana) procedure
Oleation (snehana) – internal is carried out mainly with the help of medicated ghee selected accordingly to the disease dosha condition in gradually increasing doses after assessing the agni. At times combination of various other material like oil, ghee, vasa, majja or their combinations are used. There are two methods for internal oleation:
Acchha sneha. Where a sneha drug (ghee or other) is directly ingested without any addition except a pinch of saindhava. Vicharana sneha. In this case the sneha is mixed with some or other food eaten or it is taken by some other route than oral routediet
Before the oleation (snehana) – internal has to be taken on empty stomach if it is to be used for shodhana therapy. The patient should have taken his last food atleast 10 hrs prior to snehapan. After patient is advised to have only warm water after snehapan (normaly ghee). If other material is used for snehana then accordingly various soups are to be used. Patient is not supposed to have anything except hot water until he still has the smell of the ghee in his eructation. Food should be consumed only when patients feel hungry. Heavy, very spicy junk food must be avoided during the course of the treatment.
Benefitsoleates the body. Moisturizes the entire body from within outside. Improves the elasticity of the body. Increases the mobility of the all the systems. Alleviates the vata. Reduces the pains, aches from the muscle adjoining skeletal system. Dislodges the toxins of the body helps in bringing to the gi tract.
The oleation (snehana) – internal should not be carried out without consultation. Should not be used in the patient with intolerance without testing. The doses has to be increased gradually.