Lybrate.com has top trusted Gynaecologists from across India. You will find Gynaecologists with more than 42 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Gynaecologists online in Delhi and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Endometrial Ablation Procedure
Treatment of Treatment of Breast Cancer
Management of Abortion
Hormonal Replacement Therapy Treatment
Caesarean Section Procedure
Treatment of Gynae Problems
Gynecology Laparoscopy Procedures
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Treatment Of Menopause Related Issues
Treatment Of Menstrual Problems
Treatment of Mirena (Hormonal Iud)
Pap Smear Procedure
Polycystic Ovary Syndrome Treatment
Treatment of Uterine Bleeding
Antenatal And Postnatal Exercise
Submit a review for Dr. Poonam KheraYour feedback matters!
My wife had her period on 27 February and it continued till 1st March. We had unprotected sex on the 4th March. She later took unwanted 72 on 5th march in the evening. She did not have her normal period and on 1st April she had her pregnancy test done at home by using a pregnancy kit, it was negative. She still doesn't have periods. Really worried please help How long can her periods delay?
1. Always keep your nails neat and trimmed. Long nails tend to get in the way and tempt you to bite them.
2. Use mint chewing gums or flavoured candies as a distraction. They keep your mouth busy and distracts the mind away from your nails.
3. Apply a few drops of neem oil on your fingers and let them dry. The bitter taste of neem oil will stop involuntary nail biting to an extent.
4. Keep a stress ball handy. Use it to distract yourself whenever you feel like biting your nails.
5. Even if this practice cannot be followed throughout the day, make sure to use gloves or adhesive bandages whenever possible. The fact that you will not be able to bite your nails will register in your mind and kill the habit slowly.
6. If you are okay with it, use nail polish to style your fingernails. This encourages you to grow nails as well.
7. Stress is a major factor that induces nail-biting in certain people. You will notice that you do not bite nails much when your mind is fresh and relaxed.
I just got married. My husband asked me that on the day of 1st night I did not bleed .so he said i'm not genuine. Is it compulsory to be bleed.
Hi. I had relation for 7 years now my vagina is so loose. So can you please provide me the solution for this?
4 months ago my wife had some rashes in vagina after periods. After his periods over we had sex. Then Every time when I sex with my wife without condom Some red rash appears in my pines Head. But it's disappear with in a week. But it's come again and again. I am very scared? please help me. Is it any chance of HIV?
Hi im f 20 I usually get period at 25 of every month but after using pill since I had sex my period I had on 1st March and later I had sex again n m worried cos till now I ddnt get periods cos my usual dates are on 25th. Am I pregnant? Or will I get my periods on 1st april again?
Irregular periods problems. And what are the precautions taken. And to maintain health and hygiene during periods time. Thank you.
Comparison with Others in Size Shape of Penis etc Creates Psychosomatic Sexual Weakness says Dr Vaibhav Lunkad
Comparison with others in size shape of penis etc creates psychosomatic sexual weakness says Dr. Vaibhav lunkad
Of the cases which we see of sexual inadequacy in our daily clinic at aaiina clinic near kelkar museum in shukrawarpeth pune, half of them have psychological weakness due to comparing with friends, porn or other people in loos, restrooms etc.
What lies in between ears is more important than what lies in between thighs is a very important quote as regards sexual problems in human beings. Also attitude of guilt or inferiority in comparison to others regarding height, weight, complexion, sizes, shapes, stamina etc all matter very much. Especially the thin and short always feel they will never be able to satisfy the partner in sex. Also the complexion matters a lot as they get to feel that they don't have that sex appeal or charisma compared to the good looking boys or girls.
Pornography clips seen so commonly nowadays in many cellphones, computers and laptops has created a big controversy that size matters, when actually it's altogether and not the size only which matters. Also cheap magazines, quack doctors, and some pharmacies directly advertise regarding size, impact and inadequacy which creates a big market for over-the-counter medicines and drugs.
Illiteracy and peer educators add fuel to fire. Crores of rupees are lost daily to get the size or shape which actually is just difficult to guarantee.
Even 3 cm of penis erection is enough to give adequate pleasure as only that much part of vagina is really sensitive to erotic pleasures. So playfulness, erotic, romantic, sportive and casual sportive view makes a lot of difference in sex life. So it's always better not to look at bigger and fairer etc things and feel low in life or sex as mind then bothers very badly or continuously and also creates failures and depression or psychosomatic diseases.
Have enough self-confidence and self-respect or self-love which matters in the long run for good sex life. Dr. Vaibhav lunkad always says in hindi-" sabse bada dost hai aaiina lekin bat hamare samajh me aaiina"
Comparison with others in size shape of penis etc creates psychosomatic sexual weakness says Dr. Vaibhav lunkad
I shaved my vagina and butt awhile ago but it should t look like this and im really worried because a couple days before that I had unprotected sex. I am so worried and its very painful.
I got married before a year. This month my mensuratal has not come. Went for a pregnancy test it shows negative.
Mam, period ki problem hai, timely nhi aata, pichhli bar 1 march ko aaya tha aaj 9 April ho gya, man pain v kvi2 aisa hogs Jesse aisa feel hota hai ki avi period aa jayega but aata nhi, meri age 22hai, please uchit slah dijiye.
There are women who feel their looks are spoilt because of the presence of excessive body hair. While hair on women's body is common, excessive body hair isn't a normal condition and must be taken seriously. Women are generally unaware that the condition is known as Hirsutism.
What is Hirsutism?
Hirsutism can be defined as growth of excessive facial and body hair in women. With the world obsessed with flawless skin, such changes from feminine hair pattern (soft, fine, vellus hair) to masculine hair pattern (hard, dark, terminal hair) in a woman is generally unwelcoming and, hence, very distressing for the woman.
Why do some women develop Hirsutism?
In order to understand the reasons for such excessive growth in some women, it is important to understand the differences in the physiology of men and women. The male or female appearance of one's body is dependent on a delicate balance between male and female sex hormones. There is a predominance of the hormone estrogen in a woman's body, whereas androgens (testosterone) are the predominant sex hormones among men. However, some amount of androgens is secreted by the ovaries and adrenal glands (located next to kidneys) in women also. But, an excessive production of these hormones results in Hirsutism. Hormonal imbalance is by far the most common cause of Hirsutism.
Causes of Hirsutism
The common causes of hirsutism include:
1. Endocrine causes
- Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) - PCOS is a condition of hormonal imbalance in the body, which can result in an irregular menstrual cycle, enlarged ovaries with a cystic appearance on USG, infertility, obesity and hirsutism. For more information on the causes and management of PCOS.
- Cushing's syndrome - Excessive production of hormone Cortisol by the adrenal glands can lead to symptoms such as high blood pressure, abdominal obesity, skin discoloration, muscle weakness, irregular menstruation, and hirsutism etc. This syndrome is known as Cushing's syndrome.
- Congenital Adrenal Hyperplasia (CAH) - CAH is a condition of excessive production of hormones Androgens and Cortisol by the adrenal glands and generally manifests in childhood in the form of virilization. In such cases, CAH can present with symptoms such as ambiguous genitals, obesity, hypertension etc. However, sometimes the manifestation of CAH is deferred to early adulthood and results in milder symptoms, hirsutism being one of them.
2. Tumors - Tumors in ovary or adrenal glands can again cause hirsutism due to excessive production of androgens
- Long term steroid consumption (commonly used for immunosuppression, rheumatoid arthritis, and multiple sclerosis)
- Performance enhancing drugs (often used by athletes)
4. Idiopathic - the woman may be having hirsutism despite normal hormone levels
There are essentially two lines of treatment for hirsutism - one is medical management and the other is a cosmetic treatment.
Medical treatments for hirsutism -
A. Birth control pills - It's possible to reduce the severity and intensity of hair growth using birth control pills- the most commonly prescribed medical intervention! The birth control pills help by decreasing the production of androgens by ovaries. Besides this, estrogen present in the pills also helps the liver to produce more of sex hormone binding protein- these proteins bind to circulating androgens, thereby reducing their action on the body. Both these actions help in reducing the growth of hair on the body.
B. Anti-androgen medications - There are three categories of anti-androgen medications, which are commonly used for the treatment of hirsutism.
- I. Spironolactone - Spironolactone is a diuretic medicine, which blocks the effects of androgens on the hair follicles, thus controlling hair growth.
- II. Finasteride - Finasteride works by blocking the conversion of body testosterone into its more potent chemical entity, thereby limiting the effect of testosterone on hair growth.
- III. Flutamide - Flutamide is a potent anti-androgen, which blocks the actions of androgens and helps in controlling the hair growth.
However, we have to ensure that the woman is not pregnant when taking any of these three medications. These medicines are often combined with oral contraceptives, which also have a synergistic effect in reducing the severity of hirsutism. One should also seek an expert opinion before starting these medications as there can be serious side effects, especially on liver.
C. Steroids - Low dose dexamethasone can be used to control the overactive adrenal glands when used carefully. However, long-term steroid therapy has got its own side effects and this therapy should only be considered under expert care and guidance.
D. Insulin sensitizing medicines - Medicines such as Metformin and Pioglitazone (Basically these are anti-diabetic medications) help in reducing insulin resistance in the body, which, in turn, helps in controlling the effects of excessive circulating androgens.
Cosmetic treatment for hirsutism -
One very important aspect of cosmetic management of hirsutism is self-care. This can include shaving, waxing, use of depilators and bleaching creams. All these measures help to reduce the amount of visible hair in undesired parts of the body. But, this needs to be done very frequently for a sustained visible effect.
Permanent hair removal is also possible using electrolysis or LASER treatment. In electrolysis treatment, electric current is passed into the hair follicle using a needle, which damages the root of the hair permanently. Similarly, LASER treatment uses LASER to destroy the hair follicle. Both these are effective methods to get rid of the undesired hair. However, we do not yet know if there are any long-term complications or side effects of these methods and these methods are not yet approved by the US FDA.
Related Tip: How Safe is Laser Surgery for Facial Hair Removal??