Lybrate.com has an excellent community of Rheumatologists in India. You will find Rheumatologists with more than 28 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Rheumatologists online in Delhi and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. P. D. Rath
Submit a review for Dr. P. D. RathYour feedback matters!
Fibromyalgia is a musculoskeletal disorder that is characterized by pain in the muscles and the joints. This disorder leads to the development of multiple tender points on the body, wherein, a very small amount of pressure applied might result in pain. In some cases, social isolation and depression may occur as a result of this disorder.
The symptoms of fibromyalgia are:
1. You will have difficulties in sleeping at night
2. You may experience mental problems and cognitive dysfunction
3. Light and noise sensitivity
4. Irritable bowel syndrome
5. A numb feeling on your hands and feet
6. Chronic headaches
7. You may experience painful periods
8. Restless legs syndrome
9. You may be depressed
The muscles of the body tend to feel overworked, even though you may not have exercised. You may also experience deep throbbing pain and burning sensation in the muscles. In addition, it may cause symptoms similar to osteoarthritis and bursitis. You are at a higher risk of being affected by fibromyalgia if you have a family history of this particular disease.
Some other causes of this disease are:
1. Certain infections and illness may lead to fibromyalgia
2. Car accidents
3. Any repetitive motion
The treatments for this disorder include:
- Sleep management: Optimal levels of sleep at night help in improving symptoms of fibromyalgia. Don’t drink coffee or consume spicy foods before going to bed as these have the ability to interfere with your sleep cycles.
- Medications: The doctor may prescribe medications to manage the pain. Taking anti-depressants may be necessary if you suffer from depression.
- Other therapies: Massage treatments help in easing the symptoms of fibromyalgia. You may continue with your exercise regimen after consulting the doctor. Relaxation techniques like mediation may help improving your mental health. You may also be asked to include various food supplements to make sure your body receives the necessary nutrients in the right amounts. In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
In jan 16 while stepping down fast from ladder, I skip a one step and just avoid front fallen. Full load of body came on right leg. Than o got problem in kick my bike, stepping up, and these symptoms fading away with time. In mean time my weight increase by 7 kg as I left exercises. In end feb I consulted a doctor in militarily hospital. They said nothing in x ray. Than I goes for 5 day ultrasound therapy and prescribed with calcium tablet, and ask to avoid thing which gives pain. Now after four month I feel pain while stepping up ladder with weight. Than I goes for second opinion, doc checks the knee and says it os due to heavy exercises, as I am in military. My symptoms are 1. While bending knee got pain at inner side. 2. Do most of work but unable to take my two year baby 15 kg while stepping up 3. Sometimes I got sound from right knee as we get while bending finger, 4. Age 33y, w 79kg, hgt 170 cm 5 now taking calcium tablet 6. Doc says its lifetime problem.
What are the symptoms of osteoarthritis in relation to the different affected areas?
An osteoarthritis is a form of arthritis which means unexpected inflammation of the joints/muscles, which is usually very painful. This form of arthritis is not curable, and the only thing that you can do is to take measures to reduce the painful effects of the condition. The symptoms of the medical condition often occur gradually and are chronic and long lasting in nature. Some of the body parts that get affected easily are:
- Hips- pain is felt in the groin area or buttocks at the hip joint.
- Fingers- bony growths at the edge of joints can cause fingers to become swollen, tender and red. There may be a pain at the base of the thumb.
- Knees- a 'grating' or 'scraping' sensation occurs when moving the knee.
- Feet- pain and tenderness are felt in the large joint at the base of the big toe. There may be swelling in ankles or toes.
Some of the most common symptoms which are more common to all body parts are as follows:
- Chronic pain - The arthritis related pain is very intense and chronic in nature, and it has an ever increasing trend if proper care is not taken. This pain can appear in any body joint of a person and it can cause visible inflammation or swelling in and around the muscles of that particular joint.
- Body stiffness - Another characteristic feature of this medical disorder is that there is stiffness in the normal movement of the joints and muscles. This symptom also results in a lack of flexibility of the concerned person.
- Inflammation and tenderness - Osteoarthritis is such a condition which is observable by the naked eye, as it shows signs like inflammation and tenderness. Inflammation can be noticed if a joint has a considerable amount of swelling.
Hi 75 years old suffering from rheumatide arithiritus [ r a] presently on meditrex 10 mg and folvik 5mg both once a week fo the past one month am finding only slightly releived. Check and advise
Knee injuries are the most complex injuries of bone and cartilages. A direct hit can lead to this situation. You may get this injury while doing your daily activities. An activity as simple as walking or a deadly accident can lead to this injury. You never know, when you are left with a damaged knee. In critical cases, you are advised to undertake a joint replacement surgery. According to latest studies, doctors replace more than a million knees or hips in a year in the United States. It is a life-changing procedure. But you need to know whether you are the right candidate or not? Follow the below-mentioned points to get a clear picture:
Reasons to replace your knee
- Pain and stiffness: If it hurts you a lot while you are walking or trying to climb stairs, it may be an indication of having a new joint. It has to be also noted that whether the pain is long-term. You know that you need a new joint when there is pain for at least 6 months.
- Your injured knee hampers your daily life: It is not the only pain that might be a cause of worry. Your injured knee can hurt your entire life. It will limit your daily activities, hampering your office work and personal life. It will upset you and drive you towards depression. To get rid of all these issues, you can opt for a knee replacement surgery.
- Bone damage: Before taking up the surgery, you must consult your doctor. He or she will ask you to conduct X-rays and other imaging tests first. The reports will clarify whether or not you require a surgery. The reports will show that whether you are suffering from osteoarthritis or other conditions.
- Deformity: The surgery is needed when your knee gets severely swollen and looks deformed.
When joint replacement may not help?
There are a number of situations when the joint replacement may not help. These are as follows:
If there is any infection in the body, you cannot take up this surgery. If you have suffered from a heart attack, stroke, diabetes or any related issues, then you will have complications at the time of surgery. It is also advisable to get rid of the extra kilos, if you are obese to get the best results. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult an Orthopaedics.
Kindly advise cure for cinema goers syndrome. My left knee aches when I get up after sitting for a while. No pain while walking.
I am 21 yrs old men and I play football regularly so now my right foot knee become small pain and increase it what i do.
My mother have a problem in right leg. She is 51 years old. Her right leg is swelling from the bottom up to knee. There is no pain but while standing for some time and during walk there is some pain. What could be the problem.
My knees make tak tak sound after standing for longer time and I felt the same in my shoulder joint too. I am a slim structure man age 45 and weight 58.
Causes, symptoms, and treatment of Osteoarthritis
Hi, this is Dr. Jayini P Ram Mohen, chief consultant, orthopedic surgeon, Pace Hospitals, Hitech City-Hyderabad.
See out of my experience, I practice in this place for eleven years. Out of my experience, I have seen most of the software people they present to me with all sorts of pains such as upper back and lower back pains, knee pains and sheen pains. What I have observed is most of these patients suffer from Vitamin D Deficiency rather than any orthopedic problems. Vitamin D Deficiency is an endemic condition which we are seeing in this modern era. Actually, Vitamin D is a fat-soluble vitamin. A commonly known thing about vitamin D it’s synthesized when a person is exposed to sunlight. But in the modern lifestyle even though you are exposed to sunlight, people work in a closed environment, morning to evening, they are not exposed to sunlight.
So, what is happening is inevitably everybody is ending up with vitamin D deficiency. The symptoms are fatigue; you feel tired at your working place, you feel bone pain whenever you are walking, whenever you are straining, like regular activities also you feel strained. And you feel pain in the joint and you are thinking capabilities goes down, it affects every metabolism of the body from the head to toes.
Most of us know that we get vitamin D in our body from the skin when it is exposed to sunlight. But the modern lifestyle does not allow you to fulfill that. So, for most of my patients, I prescribe vitamin D supplements on a regular basis along with calcium supplements because Vitamin D is part and parcel of calcium metabolism. You compulsory need calcium and vitamin D together in our metabolism. So the other ways which promote improving your calcium metabolism are by doing regular exercise for 10-15 minutes in a day. This keeps you in a good condition for a long time.