Lybrate.com has an excellent community of Rheumatologists in India. You will find Rheumatologists with more than 29 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Rheumatologists online in Delhi and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. P. D. Rath
Submit a review for Dr. P. D. RathYour feedback matters!
The shoulders are the most mobile joints in your body. Shoulder joints undergo wear and a tear over time and hence become unstable. Shoulder arthritis is one of the painful conditions affecting the shoulder joints. Arthritis not only takes a toll on the tendons and muscles, but also affects the ligaments and joints too. They usually cause symptoms such as joint pain, resulting in limited mobility.
Nonsurgical or Lifestyle treatments:
- Take rest or avoid the activities that provoke pain or change the way of your arm movements.
- Physical therapy boosts shoulder mobility.
- Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) such as ibuprofen or aspirinalleviate pain and inflammation.
- Corticosteroid injections in the shoulders can also help to ease the pain and inflammation, although temporarily.
- Applying moist heat or ice packs over the shoulders for about half an hour at least thrice a day brings relief.
- Drugs such as methotrexate can be administered in case one is suffering from rheumatoid arthritis (a chronic disease attacking multiple joints of the body).
- Dietary supplements such as chondroitin and glucosamine may help reduce pain.
Surgical treatments (if your pain results in disability and does not lessen with nonsurgical options)
- Join replacement surgery or arthroplasty involves replacing the damaged parts of the shoulder with a prosthetic (artificial) joint.
- Few mild forms of arthritis may be treated using the Arthroscopic procedure (minimally invasive surgery). It requires a surgeon to ease the joint pain by making small incisions to “clean out” the joint. A tiny camera fitted into the joint guides the surgeon through the surgery.
- Resection arthroplasty is a method that involves the surgical removal of the bone from the collar bone and substituting it with a scar tissue to treat arthritis of particular joints. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult an orthopedist.
Hello doctor ,I'm ankita Chakravorty .I'm 27 years old .I have severe pain in right side knee .when I fold my leg I fell severe pain .when I going up and down stairs I feel awful .very painful. Pls tell me cause of this pain.
I am suffering from knee joint pain. I have used so many painkillers but no improvement. Help me doctor.
I need to ask about the severe knee pain of my father. He is 51 years of age now, and he faces severe knee pain whenever he sits in a same posture for some time and then gets up. Usually he feels pain at two points, one at lower knee joint, and other at the heel. He also feels pain in the lower spine while turning on either side during his sleep. Normal checkups and x-rays have already been done, where nothing much has come up, just that, doctor said about the decrease in the lower cushion of the knee ball, resulting in friction between the ball and the leg bone. Please suggest something to cure such problem and cautions to be taken now.
There is a family history of arthritis. I am running 66. Of late I am also affected by arthritis. What do you recommend?
Doctor, I have severe pain in both my legs, specially in my my foot, below the ankle for past more than eight months. I find it very difficult to walk. Could you please suggest some solution for this. Now a days, even I have pain in my knees and hip.
I have a tear in my cartilage of the left knee. I am 20years old and I am a dancer. Can physio and resting the knee for a while help?
(1) Two month completed of my right knee ACL torn. I do not have any pain in my right knee. I have started my routine activities official from last 10 days without knee belt. I am not facing any problem while walking on uneven surface also. Sir,Is it really require for ACL arthroscopic surgery? NOTE: I do not want to play any sports game in future. (2) Without belt I have not found any instability in my right knee. Can I continue to walk without knee belt? (3) what will be simantanance for compulsory require ACL repair/reconstruction to avoid further damage to tibia and femur? (4) What will be the frequency of knee exercise? Is it every day or three days in week? How many years the knee exercise require? (3) At.
If you are looking for natural remedies for arthritis, you should opt for Ayurvedic treatment. Arthritis is a chronic, systemic inflammatory disease causing damage to your joints and connective tissues. The knee gets commonly affected. There are three primary types of arthritis, which occur in your knees. Ayurveda is ideal for arthritis treatment, and there are several Ayurvedic remedies that you can opt for.
How Does Ayurveda Approach Arthritis?
Ayurvedic treatment for arthritis is based on the understanding of the various doshas or humors of the body. According to Ayurveda, there are four main humors in the body and it is these that govern our health, wellness and our proneness to disease. Arthritis, as per Ayurveda, is a condition caused due to the aggravation of vata dosha (air). The body produces ama – a toxin that is released as a by product of improper digestion. When ama is produced, it circulates in the body and gets deposited at sites that have already weakened. So when the vata is already stirring up, ama finds the perfect place to build up. That is why you experience arthritis in fingers or knees. For most people, arthritis in the knee is more painful than in the fingers because knees are load bearing joints. If you have arthritis in your knees, you will have trouble moving and the range of motion in your joints will be severely restricted. You may have to depend on people or walking aids to make even the smallest of movements.
Ayurvedic treatment for arthritis aims at balancing and stabilising the Vata component of your body. This is done by strengthening your alimentary canal and metabolic pathway. This makes sure that your circulatory channels do not get blocked by impurities, and are functioning properly. You need to drink a lot of water in order to detoxify your body. There are several Ayurvedic home remedies for arthritis treatment as well, which help in improving your motion range.
You should start your day with a big glass of lukewarm lemon water every day.
You should opt for fenugreek seed which is an ideal natural inhibitor of ama and corrects your Vata dosha. This natural arthritis remedy can be taken in various ways. You can take these seeds in your food. You can also grind them, mix mustard oil to it, and apply the mixture to your joints. This provides warmth and relief to your joints.
You can opt for an Ayurvedic hot oil massage of your joints. This is effective, especially during the winter. You can use castor oil, and sesame seed oil for massaging your arthritis affected joints. Do not apply pressure while massaging your joints as applying pressure goes against the principles of Ayurveda.
It is recommended for you to meditate regularly for relieving stress and coping with anxiety. These factors are responsible for the development of ama in your body. Regular meditation makes your body relaxed and calm. You should practice yoga as it involves several breathing exercises which help in initiating you into meditation. Having effective control over your breath, your meditation will be more effective.
It is important for you to sleep early and wake up early. The disruption of your sleep cycle causes aggravation of all your doshas and causes stress and fear. A healthy sleep cycle helps you in keeping away from obesity. This improves the health of your load bearing joints, as the chances of them getting extra load because of obesity are prevented.
If you are looking for Ayurvedic remedies for arthritis, it is important for you to consult an experienced Ayurvedic practitioner. He will be able to prescribe you Ayurvedic remedies which suit your symptoms and stage of arthritis.