Lybrate.com has an excellent community of Nephrologists in India. You will find Nephrologists with more than 31 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Nephrologists online in Delhi and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. P. D. Gulati
Submit a review for Dr. P. D. GulatiYour feedback matters!
When we talk about health, the kidneys are rarely spoken of. These unsung heroes are responsible for filtering waste out of our bodies and ensuring that only clean blood flows through our system. The kidneys are a pair of small, bean-shaped organs located at the back of the abdomen. Along with removing waste from the blood, the kidneys also balance electrolytes and control the fluid balance in the body. Thus, keeping the kidneys healthy is as important as keeping the heart and lungs healthy.
Kidney stones are the most common condition that can affect these organs. Other conditions that can affect the kidneys include inflammation of the kidneys, renal failure, nephrotic syndrome and cysts. Thankfully, keeping the kidneys healthy is easy. Here are a few things you can do to improve the health of your kidneys.
- Drink plenty of water: Keeping your body hydrated is crucial to kidney health. Ideally, a person should drink a minimum of 8-10 glasses of water a day. Water helps control the production of aldosterone- a hormone that regulates blood pressure- by the adrenal glands and helps the kidneys retain enough water and sodium to balance blood volume levels. If the kidneys do not get enough water, the adrenal glands are stressed into increasing blood pressure levels.
- Limit consumption of caffeine: We drink caffeine in many ways- sodas, coffee, tea etc. While caffeine may act as a stimulant and keep you focused on what you are doing in the short run, in the long run, it dehydrates the body. Dehydration can also lead to the formation of kidney stones. Hence reduce your caffeine intake and instead drink more water and fresh juices.
- Quit smoking: Smoking not only affects the lungs but also damages blood vessels thus decreasing blood flow to the kidneys thus preventing the optimal functioning of the kidneys. Smoking can also increase one’s risk of suffering from renal cancer.
- Get regular exercise: Exercise benefits all parts of your body including the kidneys. Regular exercise reduces blood pressure and helps keep the blood moving. This can help prevent kidney diseases and a number of other conditions. Ideally, aim for half an hours exercise a day at the least.
- Eat plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables: Fruits like grapes, apples and blueberries and vegetables like spinach, beets, garlic and red bell peppers help improve kidney functioning. Women should also include oestrogen boosting foods like chickpeas, fennel, tomatoes, cherries and carrots in their diet to protect themselves against kidney damage and fibrosis. Foods that are low in gluten, sugar and soy also help reduce the risk of kidney inflammation.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
I have frequent urination problem, I went for lab test for kidney stone , there is no problem in it still I have to go at least every 40 minutes in day and 2-3 times sometime 5 times at night which some times cause premature ejaculation also.
I am 30 years old (male). From last week I am having a painful urination and at the end of urination two to three drops of blood come out from my penis. Moreover I am urinating more frequently than as usual. Please let me know the solution.
Chronic kidney disease (CKD) is more of a global health burden with a high economic cost to health systems. This is an independent risk factor for cardiovascular diseases and is usually asymptomatic until later stages.
I am diagnosed with 7 kidney stones size of 7 mm in right kidney. How to get rid of them permanently.
My mother is facing a problem of low hemoglobin and kidney stone. Please suggest a soft vegetarian diet for her Her age is 50 yrs.
USG Report showed Prostate borderline engagement in size but normal shape. Measure: 40.5 mm x 33.0 mm x 32.4 mm and Volume: 22.7 cc (approx). Also I have multiple calculi within GB lumen and so will proceed for an operation for the stone removal. Please suggest me any medicine if required for the treatment to reduce the prostate size.
I have to go to the urine repeatedly, it has been long before, but this time it has increased, I drink too much water, it feels too much, and if I drink more then it takes time and again.Please suggest me How to overcome form that.
Soak 1/2 tsp of coriander and jeera in half liter water over night and drink next whole day.