Lybrate.com has top trusted Gynaecologists from across India. You will find Gynaecologists with more than 35 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Gynaecologists online in Delhi and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Management of Abortion
Caesarean Section Procedure
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Termination Of Pregnancy Procedure
Treatment Of Pregnancy Problems
Well Woman Healthcheck
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Treatment Of Medical Diseases In Pregnancy
Treatment Of Menstrual Problems
Intra-Uterine Insemination (IUI) Treatment
Medical Termination Of Pregnancy (Mtp) Procedure
Gynecology Laparoscopy Procedures
Pap Smear Procedure
Submit a review for Dr. Nirupama GoyalYour feedback matters!
Intrauterine devices or IUD are T shaped contraceptive devices. These contain levonorgestrel or copper and are inserted into the uterus. IUDs are considered to be one of the most effective birth control measures and also they are reversible (meaning it can be removed whenever a need arises). The copper IUd has a failure rate of 0.8%, while the levonorgestrel IUD has only had 0.2% failures till now. As per a report in 2007, IUDs are used by more than 180 million users all over the world.
What you should know about Intrauterine devices:
- Types of IUDs: There are 2 types of IUDs Copper and Hormone: Copper IUD is considered to be the conventional form of the contraceptive. It is T shaped with strings and is inserted into the uterus by a doctor. It can remain in the body for three to five years. Minera is a known brand of the hormone IUD. It contains low dose of hormone progestin and releases the same when inserted in the uterus. This is also T shaped and has strings. This can be left for three years.
- Pelvic infections are not caused by IUDs: There is a belief that IUDs cause pelvic infection but this is not true. The strings of the new IUDs are very thin and they do not cause any pelvic infection even if a person is suffering from a sexually transmitted infection (STI). Though there might be a slight risk of infection when the IUD is inserted and in the first 20 days, but that also dissolves soon.
- IUD can be used at any age: Earlier IUDs were not recommended for women who had never got pregnant. However, now anyone can use these irrespective of being pregnant or not. It is very safe for all age groups from teenagers to women involved in active sex to women post menopause.
- IUD is as effective as getting a tubal ligation: It is believed that Minera is 99.4% effective while sterilization (tubal ligation) is 99% effective in preventing a pregnancy. Ligation is considered to be a permanent birth control solution, while IUDs can be reversed.
- IUDs do not cause infertility: It was believed that a STI would creep into the pelvis through the string of the IUD and cause infertility but this is not so. Though a STI can cause infertility but the IUD has no role in the same and does not contribute or worsen the infection.
- Hormonal IUD have less side effects than birth control pills: Breast tenderness, acne, and bleeding for a short time may persist for the initial 3-4 months in case of hormonal IUDs. The copper IUD lead to cramping and heavy flow during menstruation. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a gynaecologist and ask a free question.
We r trying for a baby since 6 month. But not successful. After semen analysis test I found that my sperm count is 20millions/ml. Quantity-1.5 ml.Reaction _alkaline, liquefaction time_30 min, Motility: Actively motile-50℅ Sluggishly motile-20℅ Non motility-40% Morphology: Normal forms-60% Abnormal form-40℅ Pus cells-04 -06/jpg Epithelial cells-nil Rbc-nil Doctor suggest me to take coq-forte capsule for 2 month. Is disabled capsule increase the sperm count and please tell me how much time it will take.
My sister 29 age she is pregnant 2 months her baby heart beat is not heard the doctor is advised for D.
Is there a cure for pcod as I have been suffering with this for quite a long time now? If yes please suggest some medications or something.
I am 22 year old female I had sex with my boyfriend on 24 th feb at night and I took I pill on 27th feb in the morning my period date is 12th and we had an unprotected sex but he did not ejaculate while having sex I am worried of pregnancy I am feeling sore breasts and bloating in tummy.
In the case of any infection, herbs and remedies that boost the immune system are especially valuable. In the treatment of lyme disease, many people turn to elderberry, which has certain immuno-modulating effects, making it more adaptive and responsive to the changing nature of a lyme disease infection. This can increase the levels of white blood cells in the body, which are the first line of defense against any infection, and can greatly speed the recovery process. Elderberry is not the easiest herb to find, but its benefits for someone suffering from lyme disease make it well worth the effort!