Lybrate.com has a nexus of the most experienced Gynaecologists in India. You will find Gynaecologists with more than 39 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Gynaecologists online in Delhi and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. Niraj Sharma
Caesarean Section Procedure
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Termination Of Pregnancy Procedure
Treatment Of Pregnancy Problems
Well Woman Healthcheck
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Treatment Of Medical Diseases In Pregnancy
Treatment Of Menstrual Problems
Intra-Uterine Insemination (IUI) Treatment
Medical Termination Of Pregnancy (Mtp) Procedure
Gynecology Laparoscopy Procedures
Pap Smear Procedure
Urinary Incontinence (Ui) Treatment
Submit a review for Dr. Niraj SharmaYour feedback matters!
Cushing’s syndrome occurs due to abnormally high levels of the hormone cortisol. This can happen for a variety of reasons. The most common cause is overuse of corticosteroid medications.
Your adrenal glands produce cortisol. It helps with a number of your body’s functions, including:
Regulating blood pressure and the cardiovascular system
Reducing the immune system’s inflammatory response
Converting carbohydrates, fats, and proteins into energy
Balancing the effects of insulin
Responding to stress
Your body may produce high levels of cortisol for a variety of reasons, including:
The most common cause of Cushing’s syndrome is the use of corticosteroid medications, such as prednisone, in high doses for a long period. High doses of injectable steroids for treatment of back pain can also cause this syndrome.
Other causes include:
A pituitary gland tumor in which the pituitary gland releases too much adrenocorticotropic hormone, which is also known as Cushing’s disease
An adrenal gland abnormality or tumor
Symptoms of Cushing’s Syndrome:
The most common symptoms of this condition are:
- Weight gain
- Fatty deposits, especially in the midsection, the face and between the shoulders and the upper back (causing a buffalo hump)
- Purple stretch marks on the breasts, arms, abdomen, and thighs
- Thinning skin that bruises easily
- Skin injuries that are slow to heal
- Muscle weakness
- Increased thirst
- Increased urination
- Bone loss
- An increased incidence of infections
Women may also notice extra facial and body hair, as well as absent or irregular menstruation.
Men may also have:
Deficiency or loss of calcium and phosphorus in the bones among other minerals causes the bones to go weak. With passage of time, some people develop a bone condition where the bone mineral density (bmd) goes very low. This condition is called osteopenia and it is now a very common problem. When the bone density goes even below than what it is in osteopenia, then the person develops osteoporosis. Although it is not mandatory that whoever has osteopenia will end up with osteoporosis as well. Fact is, it is very difficult to notice the signs of osteopenia. Just like osteoporosis, it could be present in your body for years, before your find out that you got the problem. Although we call all weakness of bone as osteoporosis, weakness of bone due to deficiency of calcium and vitamin d are clinically called osteomalacia. To label it as osteoporosis, bone should be weak with a normal blood calcium and vitamin d levels.
The symptoms of osteopenia are:
1. Extreme pain when fracture: this condition doesn't cause any physical pain in normal life. The only time one will experience immense pain is, if there is a fracture in the bone. On the flipside, a lot of fractures occur because of osteoporosis.
2. Receding gums: this symptom is quite a surprise and one we don't usually imagine it to be. While receding gums could be the symptom for many problems, it is one of the symptoms of osteopenia.
3. Brittle nails: if you have weak and brittle fingernails, this is a direct indication of your bone health.
4. Shrinking with age: as we age, we tend to lose height. This happens to those with vertebral fractures and poor postures. In both the conditions, this could be a symptom of osteopenia.
5. Dehydration: in some very rare cases, extreme dehydration has been a silent cause. So if you are suffering from side effects of dehydration, keep a check on your bones too.
6. Pcos: irregular periods in women is also something that could be a symptom for many irregularities, but pcos can also lead to osteopenia as are eating disorder or over exercising.
Earliest symptoms of osteopenia is generalised tiredness, easy fatiguability and vague body or joint pain.
If you would like to consult with me privately, please click on'consult.
From lybrate: if you found this tip useful, please thank the doctor by clicking on the heart icon below. Also, spread good health by sharing this tip with your loved ones over whatsapp, facebook and other media.
Hello did I had sex with ma partner today last sun 29th of june took ipill already today also we had without precaution. Is it necessary to take ipill again or anything else I have to please let me know. And the thing is I ll not satisfied using precaution i. E. Condom so that I only insist him to not to use safety.
My daughter is 10 years old she is having regular menstrual cycle but having for a week she is good in diet& having some fatty & she doing regular walk & jumping exercise.
Cardiomyopathy includes diseases involving the heart muscle. These diseases have various causes, types, symptoms and modes of treatment.
The heart muscle gets enlarged, thick or rigid. In several cases, the heart muscle tissue is replaced with a scar tissue. As this condition worsens, the heart gets weaker and the ability to pump blood is disrupted, which can cause heart failure or irregular beating of the heart. The weakened state of the heart can lead to valvar diseases.
The different types of cardiomyopathy are:
- Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy: This is a common form and affects people of all ages. Men and women are affected equally. This condition arises due to the enlargement and thickening of the heart muscle. The ventricles, the septum and the lower heart chamber usually thicken, which causes obstruction in pumping of blood by the heart. This disease also causes stiffness in the ventricles, and cellular changes in the tissue.
- Dilated Cardiomyopathy: This form of cardiomyopathy develops due to the enlargement and weakening of the ventricles. The issue arises from the left ventricle and develops over time. It may even affect the right ventricle. More effort is put in by the heart muscles for pumping blood and slowly the heart is unable to pump blood effectively. This condition may lead to heart failure, valve diseases or blood clots in the heart.
- Restrictive Cardiomyopathy: This disease occurs due to the stiffening of the ventricles, without thickening of the walls of the heart. The ventricles are not allowed to relax and do not receive a sufficient volume of blood supply. This condition causes heart failure and valvar problems over time.
- Arrhythmogenic Right Ventricular Dysplasia: This rare form of cardiomyopathy occurs when fat or fibrous tissues replace the muscle tissue of the right ventricle. This causes arrhythmias and disruption in the electrical signals of the heart. It generally affects teens and may cause cardiac arrest in athletes.
- Unclassified Cardiomyopathy: Some types of cardiomyopathy of this category include left ventricular non compaction where the ventricles develop trabeculations. Takotsubo cardiomyopathy is another disease where immense stress causes failure of the heart muscles.
Treatment: Many cases of cardiomyopathy come and go away on their own. Treatment for other cases depends on the severity and symptoms. The major treatment methods are:
Lifestyle changes meant for a healthier heart.
Modes of surgery for treatment of cardiomyopathy include:
- Septal myectomy
- Heart transplant
Implant devices such as Cardiac resynchronization therapy (CRT) device, Implantable cardioverter defibrillator (ICD), Left ventricular assist device and pacemakers are fitted into the heart for better performance.
Cardiomyopathy can be of many different types, each arising from different situations and conditions. The mode of treatment depends on the severity of the complication or on the basis of symptoms. In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
As we all know that IVF stands for In vitro fertilisation. It is a method of stimulating the ovaries in a female body, to release an ovum (egg), which is taken out of the body and fertilised artificially in the laboratory with the help of a sperm. After this, the embryo is transferred back to the uterus where it grows and develops naturally.
Understanding the Procedure
- The doctor attempts to have complete control over your menstrual and ovulation cycles, so as to know the correct time of the month when you ovulate. This includes, charting basal body temperatures, hormonal therapy drugs etc.
- Frequent blood tests, ultrasound will be required to map the progress of ovulation.
- Injections, drugs will be prescribed in required dosage to stimulate the ovaries.
- During this time, the doctors will monitor the growth of oocytes (eggs).
- After a suitable growth of the oocytes follicles, the eggs are retrieved for artificial insemination. (Fertilisation with the use of sperm cells in the laboratory).
- After the successful fertilisation, the embryo is transferred back to the uterus.
Can IVF have side effects?
- As a side effect it has a major chance of multiple pregnancies. People intending to have just one child, may not be mentally or economically prepared to take the responsibility of more than one child.
- The drugs and medicines used throughout the IVF procedure may create hormonal complications in the long run. It bears a risk of ovarian hyperstimulation syndrome, if the mother has to go through the cycle multiple times.
But it offers a number of benefits too...
- IVF increases the chance of pregnancy by a large percentage. It is one of the most successful methods of boosting fertility and pregnancy.
- Couples, who have repeatedly failed to bear children naturally, can opt for this treatment to produce their own offspring.
- In case the couples are completely infertile, donor eggs or sperms may be used in the process. However, in that case, the offspring will not bear the DNA of both parents.
- IVF can greatly reduce the chance of surgery on the fallopian tubes.
- IVF also provides an opportunity to choose the healthiest embryos before implanting it back in the uterus. A procedure, known as the pre-implantation genetic diagnosis, determines the presence of any abnormal genes or other chromosomal absurdity.
- The procedure of IVF has a very high success rate and with technological advancements in the field of medicine, it has also become much safer.
- IVF allows women, who go into premature menopause, to be able to bear a child. This treatment is mostly for women who decide to experience motherhood at a slightly older age.
- IVF allows same sex partners and single women to bear an offspring.
- It is extremely helpful for women who have their fallopian tubes damaged, blocked or surgically removed. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a Gynaecologist.
I.E. POLYCYSTIC OVARIAN DISEASE.
The prevalence of Polycystic Ovarian Disease (PCOD) in the Indian subcontinent is very high and significantly linked to irregular menstrual cycle (1). It is the primary cause of menstrual dysfunction in 75% of women. In the US 21% of pre menopausal women are affected (2).
Symtoms / Blood Reports
The symptoms include amenorrhoea, presence of cyst in ovaries, hirsutism, obesity and infertility (3). Polycystic ovaries are due to incomplete follicular development or failure of ovulation. Women with the syndrome have at least seven times the risk of myocardial infarction and ischaemic heart disease than other women, and by age 40, 40% will have type 2 diabetes or impaired glucose tolerance.
The common cases we see in clinics are often only with amenorrhoea and obesity. The cyst in itself on sonography has multiple follicles.The hormonal levels are frequently normal. Important levels are FSH, LH, DHEAS, Testosterone. The FSH / LH ratio is important.
Why take treatment for PCOD?
There are many reasons why one should seek treatment –
The cysts sometimes grow rapidly and can cause pressure on adjoining organs. They can burst causing acute abdomen and emergency.
They hamper the function of the ovaries and affect menstruation, ovulation etc
They cause sterility and difficulties in conception
They cause hirsutism and obesity
Latest research shows that they may be a pre-diabetic state
WHY HOMOEOPATHY for PCOD?
Though there is some treatment in allopathy for PCOD it is not comprehensive. Intake of hormonal medicines is not advised in young girls.
The cysts are recurrent and hence occur even after operations.
Cases diagnosed early are completely treatable, with sonographies showing complete regression.
Treatment with homeopathic medicines results in ovarian functions returning back to normal.
How does a homeopath view and treat PCOD?
For a homeopath, a cyst is a harmless extra growth in the body. Most of the time these extra growths can be reduced. In others they can be treated so that the functionality is maintained.
The objective of treating PCOD is different according to the age and needs of the patient. In young girls the only objective is to get regular menses. Regular menses also means that ovulation is intact. In elder women the treatment will depend upon the need to conceive. If the woman wants to have a child, then treatment would be prolonged, as we need to make menses regular and ovulation mature. If there is no need to conceive, as she either already has a child and/or does not want more, the objective would only be to get menses regular. Regular menses also means good health and hence treatment should be undertaken.
It is thus important for the homeopath to set objectives for each patient.
The most important medicine that should be a part of treatment is Thuja. Many patients have hypertension or haemorrhagic cysts and Tuberculinum is required. Other remedies indicated .
I WILL DISCUSS REMEDIES IN NEXT TIP.