Find numerous Dietitian/Nutritionists in India from the comfort of your home on Lybrate.com. You will find Dietitian/Nutritionists with more than 42 years of experience on Lybrate.com. We will help you find the best Dietitian/Nutritionists online in Delhi. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dt. Neeru Dawra
Submit a review for Dt. Neeru DawraYour feedback matters!
Patient Review Highlights
Man had been a hunter-gatherer for thousands of year prior to discovering that settling down and engaging in agriculture did have its merits, especially by the way of an easier lifestyle! Many people today are going in for contemporary diets which are plant based. But what exactly does that mean? And are there benefits which make the effort worth one’s while?
A plant based diet has a pretty large variety of benefits. While it was a rather predominant belief in the years gone by that animal protein was essential for proper nutrition of a person, this is something that has long been debunked. As a matter of fact, plant based diets have been found to be worthy of providing the same level of protein to a person, but just without all the side effects that eating meat has. Who wanted those side effects, anyway? It is not like they are worth bearing with just for the taste of the meat!
The environment is saved a lot of strain as rearing meat for human consumption is very hard on it. It is quite a startling fact that meat oriented emissions are higher than what is emitted by planes, trains and trucks and the like. Taking into due account the fact that tens of thousands of people are up in the air at any given moment and millions are crisscrossing countries by road, can you imagine what sort of emissions those are, then? This thought was enough to cause the Beatle Paul McCartney to start a campaign to make Mondays in the UK meat free!
Meat is generally known to be more expensive than vegetarian or plant-based options. This is especially true when it comes to cities as the meat has to be kept refrigerated while it is transported until it is bought. So, for a person who is looking to save a reasonable amount of money, by going to a plant based diet, he or she would be doing this almost without the intention to do so!
Losing weight is not an easy task, to say the least. However, with a plant based diet, this task is made quite a bit easier! There are various types of fat and it must be said that not all of them are bad for the body. As a general rule, it is rare for meat to contain as high a level of good fats in relation to bad fats, as vegetarian food does. What this means is that the entire effort to lose weight just got a lot easier; all that is required is a rational choice when it comes to a person’s diet!
Eating right and exercising are key to healthy weight loss. In no case should you ever consider crash dieting or any form of extreme diets. There are many different types of diets popular today. The most common side effect of dieting is that in most cases weight loss stops the moment a diet is stopped and the individual begins to put on weight instead. Here are a few other after effects of dieting.
- Tiredness: Most diets are centred around limiting your food intake. As a result of this, the body has less food available to convert into energy. This also causes a drop in blood sugar levels. As a result of this, you may find yourself tiring easily and with less energy to go about your normal day.
- Mood changes: Fluctuating blood sugar level can also make you feel irritable and depressed. Limiting your food intake can make you crave food which further adds to your irritability. By cheating on your diet with a sugar laden snack you may cause further fluctuation of insulin levels. This can be seen in the form of temporary elation.
- Slow metabolism: The body needs a certain calorific amount to function. When this is not available, it will turn to stored fat reserves and slow down the rate of metabolism. This can lead to a loss of muscles instead of fats and even stall your weight loss. This is commonly seen in cases of extreme weight loss.
- Loose skin: Dieting only addresses the fat underneath your skin. As you put on weight, your skin stretches to accommodate the gained pounds. Hence, losing a lot of fat can leave you with loose skin and sagging folds. This usually occurs on the upper arms and abdomen. The amount of loose skin left depends on the speed of weight loss, the amount of weight lost and your age. In this case, exercise does little to help and the only way to tackle the loose skin is through plastic surgery.
- Gallstones: When you cut down on the fat quotient of your diet, your gall bladder does not contract as often. In many cases, this can lead to the concentration of bile which further leads to the development of gall stones. These gall stones can be quite uncomfortable and can cause a stomach ache as well. To avoid this, do not cut out fats completely, but include a few healthy fats in your diet.
Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) is a blend of stomach discomfort or pain and issues with bowel routines: either constipation or diarrhea; or having a different kind of stool (slender, hard, or delicate and fluid). A healthy routine diet by and large comprises of eating a wide number of nutritious, low-fat nourishments with some restraint. Be that as it may, you may see an increase in your symptoms after you eat certain kinds of food when you have an irritable bowel syndrome (IBS). Since side effects can fluctuate between patients, there is not just one list of off-limit foods, but with that said, there are a plenty of foods that are good for your health and do not irritate your bowel habits. By staying away from the most basic irritants of IBS, you may see more consistency and also less cramps and bloating. Some of the foods that you can consume during IBS are as follows:
- Fiber adds bulk to your digestive system. It is broadly accessible in grains, vegetables and natural products. Eating a lot of insoluble fiber as grains can increase your trips to the bathroom. Concentrate on soluble fiber. This includes vegetables and natural products.
- While the insoluble fiber content in whole grains might be an irritant in IBS indications, certain grains cause different issues. Items containing rye, wheat, and grain contain gluten. This is a sort of protein that can harm your digestion tracts and increase symptoms of IBS. While a hypersensitivity to gluten is known as celiac infection, in any case half the patients in IBS are gluten-intolerant. Fortunately, more gluten-free items are available in the market these days. In case you cannot manage without pizza, pasta, cakes, you can simply substitute them with gluten-free products of the same kind.
- Consume plenty fruits and vegetables.
- Take carbohydrates in required quantity like bread, rice, oats, pasta, potatoes, chapattis and plantain.
- If you happen to be lactose intolerant, include substitutes like soya, rice or oat, milk and yogurts that are rich in calcium.
- Some meat, fish, eggs and alternatives like beans.
- Take a limited amount of foods high in fats and sugars. Decrease intake of saturated fat that is found in butter, ghee, cheddar, meat, cakes and baked goods. Substitute these with unsaturated fats found in vegetable oils, for example, sunflower, rapeseed and olive oil, avocados, nuts and seeds.
- Drink a lot of liquid, no less than two liters every day, for example, water or natural teas.
Whenever you go out to eat, make sure you ask for gluten-free food. Sometimes, certain kinds of food might appeal to you but try not to get tempted too often by the menu and harm your health because of it. Stick to a healthy diet.
There are many food items which would become stale after a few hours, but there are certain foods which may last forever without the need to can them or freeze or dehydrate. If an individual is new to the field of food storage, these staples can be an excellent way to begin.
- White rice: There are numerous researchers who have found that polished or white rice keeps up their nutrient content and flavour for almost 30 years if it can be stored in oxygen-free containers in temperatures that range below 40 degrees Fahrenheit. Brown rice, on the other hand, doesn’t last more than six months owing to the availability of natural oils in the bran layer.
- Honey: Honey is preferably the only food that would last forever due to the perfect chemistry and the handiwork of the bees. The nectar extracted from the flower gets mixed with the enzymes present in the bees’ bodies which alter the composition of the nectar. The nectar is further broken down into simple sugars and is accumulated in the honeycombs. The processing, as well as sealing of the honey, is primarily responsible for the incredible shelf life.
- Salt: Since sodium chloride is a mineral which is taken from the natural components of the earth, its shelf-life should come as a natural consequence. It is used for centuries as a means of preserving other food products as it can extract out all the moisture. But this doesn’t indicate that the table salt would last forever. Experts say that the addition of the iodine to the table salt reduces the shelf life of the salt which means that if the label says that it is an iodized salt, it will not last over five years.
- Soy sauce: When left unopened, a container filled with soya sauce would last for a significantly long period. But it is also dependent on the type of soy sauce and the additives used. Even if the soy sauce has been opened, this salty condiment will last for many years if stored in the refrigerator.
- Sugar: Quite similar to many items, the storage process of the sugar determines whether the sugar is going to last for long or not. Granulated and powdered sugar must be kept under an airtight condition to steer clear of moisture. Although retailers are needed to provide the manufacturing dates of the sugar, manufacturers say that the sugar remains edible even if it has hardened and become brown.
- Pure maple syrup: Pure maple syrup, as well as commercial sugars such as granular sugars and honey, has an irresistible life owing to its shield against any kinds of microbial growth. Unopened maple syrup shall last forever, and in case there is the formation of mould, boiling it to a certain degree and skimming the surface and ultimately pouring it to a clean and air-tight container would eliminate all the problems.
- Clarified butter: This kind of butter is boiled unless the total moisture is extracted, which is the reason that it doesn’t go bad. As long as the clarified butter or ghee is stored in sealed container under cool temperature, it would last for about 100 years.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
One of the healthiest grains on earth; oats are gluten-free and an excellent source of minerals, fibers, vitamins and antioxidants. They are incredibly nutritious and one of the most preferred breakfast options. Owing to its healthy, super filling and nutritious properties, oats are on the top of any healthy diet chart.
Apart from being one of the best sources of soluble fibers, oats are also known to help in lowering cholesterol levels, reducing glucose absorption, relieving constipation, and decreasing the risk of childhood asthma. Read on to know about the benefits of eating oats for breakfast in detail:
A nutritious and balanced breakfast option – Oats have well-balanced nutrients composition. They are an excellent source of proteins and contain very little fat as compared to other grains. They provide all the necessary nutrients, without added calories, to keep you going throughout the day.
Contain soluble and insoluble fibers – Oats are packed with a large quantity of soluble fiber called beta-glucan, which helps control cholesterol levels and stabilizes glucose levels in the blood. Fibers also give you a feeling of fullness and increase the growth of good bacteria in the gut. Oats also contain insoluble fiber that improves the intestinal health and fights constipation.
Contain vitamins and minerals – Oats are also loaded with manganese, copper, iron, folate, vitamin B1 and B5, making an ideal option to start your day with. Eating 1 cup of oatmeal provides ample amount of vitamin B complex to help your body convert food into energy. Iron content in the same serving helps meet 25 percent of a man’s and 11 percent of a woman’s daily requirement.
Help lower cholesterol – One of the leading causes of death globally is heart disease for which the major risk factor is high cholesterol. Oats contain a beta-glucan fiber that is known to effectively reduces LDL cholesterol levels as well as total cholesterol levels. The antioxidants in oats also help in preventing LDL oxidation in the blood.
Help in relieving constipation – With changes in eating habits, constipation has become very common in people of all age groups. As per studies, consuming oat bran daily can significantly improve the gut health and relieve constipation. Especially for elderly patients, oat bran can be a nice alternative to laxatives (due to its side-effects).
Help in managing weight – We all know that eating a filling breakfast in the morning can reduce the urge to eat throughout the day, hence, help in weight loss. This makes oatmeal an excellent breakfast option as it is not only delicious but also keeps you full for longer. Beta-glucan in oats increases the production of a satiety hormone called peptide YY (PPY), which leads to reduced calorie intake, thus helping in managing weight and reducing the risk of obesity.
Reduce the risk of childhood asthma – Asthma is an inflammatory disorder of the airways. Symptoms may differ in every child; some may experience shortness of breath or wheezing, while other children may have a recurrent cough. According to various studies, introducing your child to solid food at an early age can increase the risk of developing asthma. Well, this does not apply to all foods, as introducing oats to an infant can actually lower the risk of developing childhood asthma.
Although oats don't contain gluten, in rare cases, they are grown in the same grounds as wheat or barley, and these crops can sometimes contaminate oats with gluten. Therefore, it is advised to pick oats that are certified as gluten-free. Having gone through all the health benefits of oats, it is proved that oats not only make a nutritious meal for you but your child as well. Go ahead, shake hands with oats and make them your perfect breakfast friend! In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
Being over weight is a very common health problem. Although most people confuse weight with appearance, it is important to clear certain points. The way a person looks has nothing to do with weight; it all rests upon self confidence and self respect. However, weight can have major impact on the health of individuals.
A number of serious issues like diabetes, high blood pressure, gynaecological disorders tend to develop, which make lives nothing, but difficult. Given that we have a single life, why not enjoy the world without facing health issues. Here are some tips that could help individuals lose weight fast.
- Eating food items that would speed up the fat burning process can be a great beginning. Beans, walnuts, apples, spices, oats, ginger, green tea are certain food products, which help in increasing metabolism, thereby, helping in breaking down the food into energy faster, without much sugar storage (which could change into fats eventually).
- Weight loss without exercise would be a slow process and might at times even be ineffective. Running, cycling, boot camping, zumba and body combats are certain ways that help lose weight faster. Also cardio is an important part of exercise that enormously helps in weight loss. Jogging, swimming, circuit training, cross-trainer etc. are certain examples of cardio exercises.
- Another great method for losing weight sooner is weight training. This not only helps in losing weight efficiently, but also helps in staying fit over the years. With proper weight training, the muscles can be made stronger, thereby improving metabolism because muscles help burn calories very efficiently.
- One major mistake people make in the spur of losing weight is cutting off meals. That is the worst one could do as not only does it not help in weight loss, but also at times causes just the reverse. It is important to have small yet frequent meals throughout the day.
- A proper sleep cycle is absolutely necessary for losing weight. Improper sleep would make us tired and prevent us from working efficiently and also indirectly cause our body to crave for sugar.
- Eating a proper, healthy and full breakfast that would include high fibre and protein would make individuals have a lot of energy throughout the day and also help avoid unnecessary munching.
- Walking everyday is a great way to lose weight. Walking for 30 minutes every day prevents gaining weight, however, walking 45 minutes promotes weight loss.
- Eating fruits vegetables and avoiding complex carbs is another advice for losing weight faster.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!