Find numerous Psychologists in India from the comfort of your home on Lybrate.com. You will find Psychologists with more than 32 years of experience on Lybrate.com. Find the best Psychologists online in Delhi. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Treatment of Depression
Treatment of Anxiety
Treatment of Anxiety and Depression
Treatment Of Anxiety Attacks
Sex Addiction Counselling
Anger Management Therapy
Treatment of Stress
Treatment of Behaviour & Thought Problems
Cognitive Behavioral Therapy
Obsessive Compulsive Disorder Treatment
Treatment of Drug Abuse and Addiction
Treatment of Mood Disorder
Counselling And Stress Management
Treatment of Abnormal Behavior
Treatment of Trichotillomania
Treatment of Abnormal Behaviour
Treatment of Autistic Spectrum Disorder
Submit a review for Dr. Ms. Girija SharmaYour feedback matters!
In many cases, the body responds to a stressful or traumatic situation by disassociating with it. This can result in the development of a dissociative disorder. A dissociative disorder or dissociative amnesia is a mental illness that involves the breaking down of memory, consciousness, identity and perception. It can interfere with a person's general functioning, social life and relationships. People suffering from dissociative amnesia can have long gaps in their memory of the accident and the time before and after it.
Women are at a higher risk of suffering from this condition as compared to men. It has also been found to have a genetic link as people suffering from this condition often have other members of their family who experience something similar. Manmade and natural disasters such as wars, floods, earthquakes etc that cause overwhelming stress is said to trigger this disease.
The inability to recall past events is a primary symptom of this disease. Other symptoms include
- Depression or anxiety
- Inability to remember personal information
- Substance abuse
- Mood swings
- Sexual dysfunction
- Panic attacks
- Obsessive compulsive symptoms
- Hallucinations and
- Social withdrawal
Treatment for this disease is a two step process. The first step involves relieving symptoms and controlling any behavioral changes. The second step aims at helping the person to recall and process their memories. Developing coping skills and rebuilding relationships is also focused on. Depending on the individual and the severity of symptoms showcased a doctor may choose to treat the patient using any of the following forms of treatment.
- Psychotherapy: This form of treatment is designed to encourage communication and give the person insight into their problems. It uses a number of psychological techniques.
- Cognitive therapy: Changing dysfunctional thinking patterns and their resulting emotions and behavior patterns is the focus of this form of treatment.
- Medication: Dissociative amnesia patients who also suffer from depression or anxiety can benefit from medication such as anti depressants and anti anxiety drugs. However, this medication does not treat the dissociative amnesia itself.
- Family therapy: In some cases, along with the patient it is also necessary to counsel the family. Family therapy involves educating the family members about the disorder and symptoms of recurrence.
Clinical hypnosis: This type of treatment uses intense relaxation and focused attention techniques to access the unconscious part of the mind and allow people to explore their thoughts, emotions and repressed memories.
My daughter is 7 years old. She is too much irritating. She does not allow me to wear jeans. Even she does not allow me to talk to my husband in front of her. She always sticks to me. Never go me alone.
Day by day my memory power is becoming weaker. For last 7 years. I forget everything very soon. Not able to concentrate on studies due to forgetfulness. Forget everything any address name of person. Things in market. What I have to do. And also too much hair fall. And always thinking of sex. And nightfall more than 3 time in week. So please tell me why this happens and medicines.
My health always problem, any time headache, any time weakness, any time feeling angry, any time feeling sad, what is my problem, I never clear that what happening in my health please clear my problem, and help me.
I lost somebody close last year and since then feel very depressed and prefer keeping to myself all the time. Please help me?
Hello, I've recently been diagnosed with depression. Someone suggested joining a forum and talking to other people. Would be nice to talk to people about things and possibly learn more.
Hi sir/ ma' m, i' m 25 yr old, from last one to two months i' m suffering from memory loss. I. E. If someone says me anything to do I started to do that work but if any other interrupt me n says another work, I done 2nd but forget to complete 1st one. If I have something with me, maximum time I forget that anywhere, I feel so much stress, pls tell me what to do.
I am getting very angry on even small things happening around. I want to manage my anger and stress. Can someone please help me with these issues?
Hii i'm ayush I hv an elder sister nd she is suffering from depression. Give some ideas or any other treatment to cure her?
I am preparing for medical exam. So I want to know that how can I increase my concentration level and sharpen my memory because I really work hard but I just forget everything at the right time. So please help me to come out of this situation.
Hello, My age was 24 and I am getting heavy anxiety if I masturbate and I am getting lesser normal (not fully) if I stops. Now I stopped doing as I lose my concentration too. Can you please tell about the interlink between masturbate and anxiety. From 5 years I used to masturbate heavily.
Are you suffering from seasonal depression triggered by the change in season? This condition is known as seasonal affective disorder or SAD and primarily occurs during the winter. It usually starts when the days start getting colder and shorter. SAD requires treatment as it limits an affected person’s ability to smoothly carry out his or her everyday activities. Here are the several methods by which SAD can be treated or dealt with:
- Light therapy boxes: Light therapy boxes emit light which mimics sunshine in a particular way. This helps in recovery from SAD. The light from these therapy boxes are brighter than normal light bulbs and are of various wavelengths. The patient is required to sit in front of a light box for a period of 30 minutes every day. As a result, the circadian rhythms of the body get stimulated and the natural release of melatonin is suppressed. Light therapy is very effective when undertaken in the morning after waking up. It is a very common treatment used to cure SAD.
- Dawn simulators: Dawn simulators help in the management of SAD. These are devices which work as alarm clocks. However, instead of waking you up abruptly by means of a beep or loud music, they produce light which increases in intensity gradually, just like the sun. There are several models of dawn simulators which are available in the market. You should choose a dawn simulator, which uses a full spectrum light. This form depicts natural sunlight. For people with mild SAD, dawn simulators are as effective as light therapy.
- Consult a doctor: SAD is a type of depression and it is recommended that you to consult a psychiatrist. Several screening questions are asked to a patient to determine his/her level of depression. A doctor will also observe whether your depression is because of SAD or any other factor.
- Antidepressants: In case, psychotherapy or light therapy fails to cure your SAD and the accompanied depression, you should take prescribed antidepressants. These medicines might help in overcoming your seasonal depression. Try to avoid medicines which make you feel sleepy. If you have SAD, you should take antidepressants every winter and not just during the winters when you feel the blues.
It is very important for you to recognise the symptoms of SAD when they start showing, and consult a doctor immediately. This will prevent the symptoms from escalating and you will be able to get early treatment.