Lybrate.com has top trusted Acupuncturists from across India. You will find Acupuncturists with more than 38 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Acupuncturists online in Delhi and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. Mrs. Meenakshi
Submit a review for Dr. Mrs. MeenakshiYour feedback matters!
A very low body mass index can be due to many causes including genetic, developmental and hormonal disorders and other issues with absorbing nutrients in the body. A low body mass index may also be owing to a high metabolism rate. Here are a few healthy ways to gain weight according to different requirements:
Know your calorie needs
- Calculate your resting metabolic rate with the formula - RMR = 10* weight (kg) + 6.25* height (cm) - 5* age (yr) + x [For men; x=5, for women; x = -161] Your BMR tells you how much minimum calories you will burn if you rested an entire day.
- Account for your activity by using your RMR as BMR (Base metabolic rate) and calculate your daily calorie needs by the following formulae:
- BMR * 1.2 - If you are sedentary
- BMR * 1.375 - For light exercise
- BMR * 1.55 - Moderate activity
- BMR * 1.725 - High activity
- BMR * 1.9 - Intense activity
Diet to follow
- Gradually increase your calorie intake
- Eat healthy and timely
- Have a balanced diet with heavy foods like - starchy vegetables, dense fruits, added oils and creamy soups
- Have foods rich in protein, avoid watery fruits and veggies
- Avoid trans-fats
- Do not binge, pace yourself through your diet regime
- Have dietary supplements and protein shakes
Build muscle to increase body weight
- Include weight training in your daily regime
- Compensate for extra calorie lost in training
- Do not over do it, rest is equally important in building muscle
Things to remember
- Stop eating junk food, eat healthily
- Hydrate yourself well
- Rapid weight gain may cause stretch marks
- Be careful when choosing fatty foods as overindulging in them can lead to heart diseases and type 2 diabetes
- Overeating may cause bloating, stomach aches and cramps
If you would like to consult with me privately, please click on 'Consult'.
Related Tip: 6 Ways to Gain Weight Most Naturally
Combination of Foods
Combining various food groups to ensure variety and nutrition is the way long back known fact of healthy eating.
The importance of variety in grains along with combination of various groups like:
Starches, Veggies, proteins, fats and fruits are also important.
Different grains like soya, black gram flour, Bajra, jawar, barley, and ragi can be included in daily diets along with wheat to ensure complete mineral intake.
Multigrain chapatti, chilla, various cereals in breakfast, roasted grains as snacks can help to include them in the daily diet.
The food group combination to avoid indigestion and maximum absorbability of nutrients are also important. Since different foods digest at different digestion environment, thus foods need to be eaten in groups that complement factors.
Some basic food combining facts are:
- Don't combine starches and proteins together as they require a different strength of acidity in your stomach.
- Combine a protein and grain with non-starchy vegetables.
- Dried fruits, nuts, and seeds are best eaten with raw vegetables.
- Fermented food can be eaten with most of the combinations.
- Combine a fruit and raw vegetable or salad to delay sugar release of the fruits.
- Plan small meals to keep the metabolism active...
If I take supplements for my body to gain weight So supplements good or bad for my body? Give me side effects or good effects? And which supplements good for me? Pls gives me your suggestion.
Yesterday I have been suggested below medicines by my doctor for the Loose Motion but don't know which is Body Pain medicine. Having much body pain so kindly suggest medicines for body pain. 1. Rifagut 2.Rantac 3. Ennis 4. econorm Sachet.
Read about your post on cashew nuts. Do you have any comments, positive or otherwise, on the cashew fruits?
I get tired too fast whenever I try some physical work. & I don't know why I don't get hunger. I don't want to eat food prepared at house. I don't have any weakness as such. But I lack in physical strength. What should I do?
Diet may lead to short-term results, but as soon as you start eating junk food again you will gain the weight back.
This is called yo-yo dieting and is extremely common.
Most people that lose a lot of weight on a diet end up gaining it back whenever they ?stop? the diet.
For this reason, the only thing that can give you actual long-term results is to adopt a lifestyle change.
Bottom Line: Adopting a healthy lifestyle is the only way to ensure long term weight loss and a lifetime of improved health.