Lybrate.com has a number of highly qualified Gynaecologists in India. You will find Gynaecologists with more than 28 years of experience on Lybrate.com. Find the best Gynaecologists online in NewDelhi. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Caesarean Section Procedure
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Termination Of Pregnancy Procedure
Treatment Of Pregnancy Problems
Well Woman Healthcheck
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Treatment Of Medical Diseases In Pregnancy
Treatment Of Menstrual Problems
Intra-Uterine Insemination (IUI) Treatment
Medical Termination Of Pregnancy (Mtp) Procedure
Gynecology Laparoscopy Procedures
Pap Smear Procedure
Urinary Incontinence (Ui) Treatment
Submit a review for Dr. Meenakshi BansalYour feedback matters!
My sister just did the pregnancy test and its positive. She had 2 miscarriages almost 1 years back. Shes now having severe back pain like periods are about to come. She is worried and think of this as a sign of miscarriage. What should I advice her?
Kegel exercises are quite often recommended for women. However, are women the only ones who can benefit from these? Well, actually not. Even men can benefit from these exercises if they practice it regularly. Keep in mind that these exercises are supposed to improve bladder and bowel functioning and improve sexual functioning. So, why can’t men benefit from these?
BENEFITS OF KEGEL EXERCISES FOR MEN
Men are often concerned about their inability to achieve a strong erection and maintain it for a longer time. Another concern among men is premature ejaculation, that is, ejaculating before you or your partner wants. Both erections and ejaculation can have an impact on yours as well as your partner’s sexual pleasure.
This is why men would try anything to achieve a stronger erection and control their ejaculation. The key to both these issues are stronger and firmer pubococcygenus muscles. These are your pelvic floor muscles and if you have control over these, you will be able to control your erections and ejaculation.
These muscles control the flow of semen and urine and are responsible for the firmness of your erections and the power of your ejaculation. These are the muscles that are targeted by Kegel exercises. Regular practice of these exercises will not only help you control your orgasms and last for longer by delaying your ejaculation, but will also improve the sexual pleasure of your partner.
IDENTIFYING THE PELVIC FLOOR MUSCLES
You are probably wondering where your pelvic floor muscles are located. The easiest way to find these muscles is by stopping the flow of your urine the next time you go to urinate. These are the muscles that you will be squeezing when you stop the flow of urine in the middle.
Another way to identify the muscle is to squeeze the muscles that help prevent you from passing gas. Just stand in front of the mirror and squeeze these muscles. If you are squeezing the right muscles, you will see that the base of your penis moves closer to the abdomen and your testicles will rise along with it.
You could also place a finger inside your anus. When you contract the pelvic floor muscles, the anus will tighten.
Keep in mind that it is very important to identify the right muscles here. These are the only muscles that should be moving while you are doing the Kegel exercises. The muscles in your abdomen, buttocks, and thighs should be relaxed during these exercises.
KEGEL TECHNIQUES FOR MEN
The key to doing Kegel exercises is to contract and release them. How you do it is totally up to you. As a beginner, the easiest position to do this is while lying down. You can contract your muscles for three seconds and then release it for another. Repeat this 10 times and then relax. Do another set of 10 repetitions and then another set. All in all try to do three sets of 10 repetitions.
You could also quickly contract and release the muscles continuously for 10 seconds. Take a 10 second break before attempting another set. Here also do three sets. Or alternatively, contract and release for 5 seconds and then take a 5 second break before attempting another set. In this case, do 10 sets.
Another technique is to contract and hold the muscles for 30 seconds and then release. Take a break of 30 seconds and do three sets.
As you become better at these Kegel exercises, you could also aim at holding the contraction for around 2 minutes and then releasing it. You just need to do one set in this case. Once you get more comfortable, you can do these exercises while sitting, working on your computer, or even while standing.
As it gets easier and easier, you could try and do the contracting and releasing technique for more than 100 times a day. Or you can hold your muscles for around 20 minutes, 3 times a day.
You can then practice this technique during sexual intercourse for delaying ejaculation and helping you last longer. It will not only intensify your orgasm but also improve the sexual pleasure of your partner.
Keep in mind that you should take it slowly in the beginning. Never overdo the exercise. Do as many sets and as many repetitions as you are comfortable but do not do too much too quickly.
It usually takes around three months to really notice an effect of these exercises on your erections, ejaculation, and orgasms. For some men, this may happen sooner and for others it may take a little while longer. However, one thing is for sure, practicing Kegel exercises will surely bring about an improvement in your sexual pleasure and make you a better lover.
In fact, if you have problems such as premature ejaculation, try these exercises before even consulting a doctor. You may be surprised to see the control that you are able to have on your ejaculation with the help of these techniques.
As the world has moved and is moving towards a more sedentary lifestyle, where non sedentary jobs have become lesser, posture is something that tends to get affected a lot.
Let's look at how some of these bad body postures can affect your health in the long run:
- Increases depression and stress: Many studies have revealed that walking or sitting in a slouched or generally bad position increases the susceptibility to depression and stress. Slouching or sitting in a bad position and thus developing a bad posture will constrict the body, resulting in the poor blood flow. This may cause you to be irritable and tired and over a long time it will contribute to depression and increased stress levels.
- Bad breathing patterns: The lungs and the rib cage in your body need to be expanded fully to work at their best capacity. However, due to bad body postures, the rib cage and the lungs will be constricted and not be able to work at full capacity. This over time will build up to create long term problems with breathing as well as other resulting health problems.
- Problems with digestion: As is the case with breathing problems, when the body posture is not correct it will also affect digestion. This is so, as bad posture also affects the intestines and if they are pressured or constricted in any way, will affect the entire digestion process. Slouching may also cause you to develop a paunch or belly over time due to a combination of bad postures and digestive problems.
- Developing chronic pain in the back shoulders and neck: This is probably the most common and the most quickly noticeable problem, if you have a bad posture. Most of the population with sedentary lifestyle either currently has or has experienced this problem in their back, shoulders and neck. This is again due to constrictions of the muscles and misalignment of the various bones that support these parts. Long term misalignment could cause deformities that could spiral into problems, which are far worse.
- Headaches caused by muscle tension within the body due to bad postures: This has afflicted most of the sedentary work force all over the work, at some point of time or the other. While sitting in a bad position for a prolonged period, the tension in the muscles will build up releasing chemicals that may contribute to headaches. If these become frequent they could contribute to other health problems such as high blood pressure in the long run. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a General Physician.