Lybrate.com has an excellent community of Ayurvedas in India. You will find Ayurvedas with more than 41 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Ayurvedas online in Delhi and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Chemical Peels Treatment
Chin Reduction Treatment
Treatment of Mohs Micrographic Surgery
Nail Surgery Procedures
Hiv Prophylaxis Post Exposure
Restylane Vital Procedure
Vampire Face Lift Procedures
Asthma Management Program
Ayurvedic Massage Treatment
Hair Restoration Techniques
Head And Neck Pain Treatment
Kerala Massage Treatment
I want to increase my height my age is 19yr Can I increase my height. If yes then how is it possible?
Respected doctor. Is it true that teeth cleaning and polishing weakens them and creates gaps between tooth. Thanks.
I am 18 years old, I am suffering from bad stomachache from last 3 days, I've almost tried everything but nothing helped please tell me how should I cure this pain?
I am 24 yr old male and having liver problem and this is fourth time I am. Suffering from typhoid suggest me some thing.
Alopecia areata is when hair starts falling out due to the immune system attacking the hair follicles. The hair fall due to alopecia areata occurs very suddenly on both the scalp as well as other parts of the body. Alopecia does not usually result in complete baldness nor does it always prevent hair from growing back. However, the exact amount of hair loss and the amount of hair that grows back varies from person to person. Alopecia areata cannot be cured either. However, treatments are available which prevent hair from falling out as well as those which stimulate hair growth. Here is everything you need to know about alopecia areata:
Causes: Alopecia areata is a type of an autoimmune disease. This is the sole cause of alopecia areata. An autoimmune disease is when your immune system targets cells in your own body instead of invading pathogens. In this case, the immune system attacks hair follicles which causes them to fall out.
Symptoms: The only symptom for alopecia areata is extensive hair loss. It happens very suddenly and unexpectedly. However, the extent of the hair loss and hair growth does vary greatly from person to person as mentioned earlier. However, sometimes doctors have to do a lot more tests to diagnose alopecia areata.
Diagnosis: Usually, just looking at hair is enough to diagnose alopecia areata. However, a doctor sometimes performs more tests to make sure the diagnosis is correct.
- Scalp biopsy: A scalp biopsy is when a small part of the scalp is removed so that it can be taken to the lab and analyzed. Once it has been analyzed, it can be confirmed that you have alopecia areata.
- Blood test: Depending on which type of disorder your doctor suspects you have, he or she will analyze the blood for that disorder and once that disorder is ruled out, he will confirm that you have alopecia areata.
- Medications: Medications such as corticosteroid creams can be given so that hair growth can be stimulated.
- Radiation therapy: There is a radiation therapy which uses a combination of ultraviolet light and oral medication to promote hair growth.
- Other methods: Acupuncture, vitamins, and herbal supplements are some other ways of promoting hair growth and treating alopecia areata.
Depression is recognized as a mood disorder characterized by the prolonged feeling of sadness and loss of interest in otherwise regular activities. The symptoms include loss of sleep and appetite, loss of interest, persistent feeling of sadness and lowered self-esteem. These symptoms should last for a minimum of 4 weeks for the individual to be diagnosed with depression. Sometimes, at its later stages, depression can also be accompanied by suicidal tendencies.
How it can be treated?
- Role of anti-depressants: Depression has become rather common in the present day scenario. The treatment varies from prescription drugs to therapy. People who have depression are usually given mood enhancers and anti-depressants. Antidepressants are medicines used to help people who have depression. With the help of these depression medications, most people can achieve significant recovery from depression. Most antidepressants are believed to work by slowing the removal of certain chemicals from the brain. These chemicals are called neurotransmitters (such as serotonin and norepinephrine). Neurotransmitters are needed for normal brain function and are involved in the control of mood and in other responses and functions, such as eating, sleep, pain, and thinking. Antidepressants help people with depression by making these natural chemicals more available to the brain. By restoring the brain’s chemical balance, antidepressants help relieve the symptoms of depression. Specifically, antidepressant drugs help reduce the extreme sadness, hopelessness, and lack of interest in life that are typical in people with depression. However, these are but short-term solutions to depression and don’t necessarily cure the individual completely. For the treatment to be effective, the drug intake must be combined with therapeutic techniques to solve the problem at the root level.
- Therapy: Different therapeutic techniques are used to treat depression depending majorly on the individual, the cause of depression and general history and state of mind. Research suggests that client centered therapy and cognitive behavioral therapy are a good start with an average case of depression. The therapists usually incorporate several other methods based on the client’s need to get maximum effect. Adlerian techniques, where individuals are made to comprehend the thoughts and emotions which influence their lifestyles and adopt a more productive and positive way of life, are rather helpful with most clients who suffer from depression.
Depression is a fairly common mental health disorder today, affecting a large population. Depression must be acknowledged as a proper mood disorder and not just a passing phase. It is completely curable with proper medicine and therapeutic sessions. The individual is able to move over the feelings of unhappiness and lack of interest with proper care and acceptance from loved ones in addition to therapy and the drugs, of course. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a doctor and ask a free question.