Lybrate.com has an excellent community of ENT Specialists in India. You will find ENT Specialists with more than 41 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find ENT Specialists online in Delhi and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. Manju Gupta
Cysts Removal Procedure
Treatment of Tonsils (Tonsillitis)
Hearing Aid Fitting
Treatment of Throat and Voice Problems
Earlobe Repair Procedure
Treatment of Sleep Disturbance
Nose Reshaping Procedure
Hearing Testing Techniques
Nasal And Sinus Allergy Care
Cochlear Implant Procedure
Ear Micro Surgery
Treatment Of Hearing Deficiency
Submit a review for Dr. Manju GuptaYour feedback matters!
Mastoiditis is a bacterial infection of the mastoid air cells surrounding the inner and middle ear. The mastoid bone, which is full of these air cells, is part of the temporal bone of the skull. The mastoid air cells are thought to protect the delicate structures of the ear, regulate ear pressure and possibly protect the temporal bone during trauma.
When the mastoid cells become infected or inflamed, often as a result of an unresolved middle ear infection (otitis media), mastoiditis can develop. Because so many vital structures pass through the mastoid, infection may spread outside of the mastoid bone and cause serious health complications.
Acute mastoiditis typically affects children, but adults can also be affected.
Some people have chronic mastoiditis, an ongoing infection of the middle ear and mastoid that causes persistent drainage from the ear.
Mastoiditis most often develops as a result of a middle ear infection. Bacteria from the middle ear can travel into the air cells of the mastoid bone. Less commonly, a growing collection of skin cells called a cholesteatoma may block drainage of the ear, leading to mastoiditis.
Mastoiditis symptoms may include:
- fever, irritability, and lethargy
- swelling of the ear lobe
- redness and tenderness behind the ear
- drainage from the ear
- bulging and drooping of the ear
Mastoiditis complications may include:
- facial paralysis
- nausea, vomiting, vertigo (labyrinthitis)
- hearing loss
- brain abscess or meningitis
- vision changes or headaches (blood clots in the brain)
- Aurum metallicum- Caries of ossicula and mastoid. External meatus bathed in pus. Chronic nerve deafness due to syphilis.
- Calcarea Sulphurica- Chronically draining ear, mainly right ear. Thick and yellowish discharge which shows no tendency to heal.
- Capsicum Annum- Burning and stinging in ear. Left ear remedy. Swelling and pain behind the ear. Inflammation of mastoid. Tenderness over the petrous bone, extremely sore and tender to touch. Otorrhea and mastoid disease before suppuration.
- Graphites- Chronic otitis and external otitis, often together. Left-sided otitis nearly always draining. Chronic discharge from the ear, often thick, gluey and offensive. Hearing problems. Hearing better in a noisy environment. Chronic complaints after suppressed ear discharge.
- Hepar Sulphuris- Scurfs on and behind the ears. Discharge of fetid pus from the ear. Whizzing and throbbing in the ear, with hardness of hearing. Pustules in the auditory canal and auricle, mastoiditis.
- Kalium Muriaticum- Chronic glue ear. Ear: crackling and popping in the ears on swallowing or movement of jaw.
- Kali Sulphuricum- Deep catarrhal conditions with sinusitis, bronchitis and otitis or" glue ear" ear: hearing loss from chronic serous otitis. Catarrh with chronic yellow discharge.Uncomfortable and irritated in a warm room, while the local symptoms of obstruction and mucus may improve. Mouth breathing and snoring. Irritable yet timid with those outside the family.
- Mercurius Solubilis- Acute and recurrent otitis media with marked suppuration. Clear rhinitis (" cold") followed by thick discharge, then earache. Ear: more often affecting the right ear. Pain, discharge, hearing loss. Yellow-green offensive discharge from ear with difficulty hearing. Inflammation of external ear canal. Worse: night. Damp weather. Heat of the bed. Swallowing. Better: cold application. Local: sore throat with acute otitis.Tongue with dirty coating and tooth imprints. General: patient is sweaty, has excess saliva and a" sick" odor (especially the breath). Often with serious conditions: sinusitis, bronchitis or pneumonia.
- Nitricum Acidum- Difficult hearing, very sensitive to noise. Chronic pain and inflammation in the right ear. Ear pains extending upward from the throat on swallowing. Severe pain; stitching ear pains. Ears cracking when person chews. Thin, offensive, acrid discharges. Threatened mastoiditis. Worse: night. Cold. Swallowing. Better: warm applications. Disposition: irritable and demanding.
- Petroleum- Itching and catarrh deep in the eustachian tubes. Chronic and purulent discharge from ear. Progressive hearing loss from serous otitis. Stitching pains in ears when swallowing. Chilly. Worse all winter long. Marked loathing for fats cracks on the fingers, especially the tips
- Pulsatilla Nigra- Thick yellow or green bland discharge. Moods are changeable and contradictory. Mild and yielding personality. Mouth is dry but no thirst.
- Silicea Terra- Fetid discharge from ear. Caries in the mastoid. Loud pistol like retort. Sensitive to noise, roaring in ears.
- Other Homoeopathic Medicine:- Asafetida, kali iodum,mercurius-iod rubrum, tuberculinum.
My friend he is 23 years old male has bleeding in his nose nearly 4 times in this past 6 months can I now is it a serious problem or not please guide?
I am 19 year old m having Congestion and breathing difficulties suddenly I am having dizziness along with dizziness'what should I do?
I am having sore throat from past 4 days. Cough is severe. Means I have to spit the cough at every 5 mins. My nose gets blocked. I am not able to sleep bcoz of cough.
I am Having tinnitus since 4 months, high pitched sound mostly in left ear. Have done audiometry twice and CT Scan Head. audiometry shows 28.5 dB in left ear and 20 in right. Hearing loss at high high frequencies. I have consulted local ENT specialist, some say report is normal and I will be fine, some say there is hearing loss and may not recover. However I feel there is a hearing loss as I hear my voice differently. Ques1. Will I be able to recover this hearing loss? Ques 2. If there is hearing loss then will it progress further? Can anything be done to stop it? Ques3. CT Head shows "Mild Mucosal thickening in left Maxillary Sinus" but I do not have a blocked nose. Could it be any how a reason for my tinnitus and hearing loss. Ques4. Will tinnitus stop or I may have to live with it whole life? Ques5. I want for tooth cleaning, and it all started after it, can it be linked any how?
I have slight throat pain over 6 month and my neck get dry in morning when I awake, also my saliva is bit yellowish in morning when I go cleaning my teeth. please give necessary remedies or medicine. I had habit of smoking shisha (huka).
I am suffering from throat burning sensation. I don't have any problem in swallowing or eating I feel burning sensation more when I lie down.
Are you aware of the causes and symptoms of vertigo? Also known as bhrama, vertigo is a balance disorder. It is also referred to as a spinning sensation and head rush. A sense of spinning of the nearby surroundings is experienced by a person affected with vertigo. Standing in an upright position becomes difficult. The onset of this condition occurs in several ways. Ayurveda has a complex explanation for vertigo or bhrama, which is as follows:
According to Ayurveda, vertigo is caused because of your pitta and vata doshas.
- When the vata and pitta doshas get excited, an abnormal functioning of the balance mechanism within your inner ear is caused.
- A vestibular imbalance, or an imbalance in the inner part of your ear is the primary cause of vertigo. It disrupts the coordination of a stimulus and response.
- Any defect or disruption in the proper flow of oxygen to the ear can result in vertigo attacks.
Factors causing imbalance in doshas
- Viral infections like common cold
- Ear problems like discharges, infections in the ear cavity, and perforation of the eardrum
- Certain cardiovascular diseases such as low blood pressure, valve diseases, and improper heart rhythms
- Migraine and anemia
- Certain neck ailments such as cervical spondylosis
- Arthritis and injury to the head that leads to concussions
Several Ayurvedic herbs and remedies are used for the treatment of vertigo. These herbs are added to a patient’s regular diet. They are as follows:
- Ashwagandha improves the flow of oxygen in your body. It is commonly used for dealing with respiratory problems that result in vertigo or bhrama.
- Ginkgo is the most effective Ayurvedic herb for curbing all forms of circulatory problems. It enhances the flow of oxygen to various parts of your body. It is ideal for the reduction and elimination of vertigo. It also cures ringing in the ears, which is a common vertigo symptom.
- The roots of the vacha tree are effective in giving relief to vertigo patients.
- A concoction made of Guduchi Kasaya is effective in curing a vertigo. One should have 30ml of the concoction every morning, at least half an hour before breakfast.
- Other important Ayurvedic remedies that help with vertigo management include Triphala, Sarpagandha, Yogendra rasa, Saraswatarishtha, and many others.
It is recommended for you to consult an Ayurvedic practitioner before starting Ayurvedic treatment for vertigo on your own. He will be able to diagnose your condition and severity, and accordingly prescribe the best treatment.