Lybrate.com has an excellent community of General Physicians in India. You will find General Physicians with more than 44 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find General Physicians online in Delhi and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Quinoa is considered to be one of the world's healthiest foods. It is gluten free and high in protein. It is among the few plants which contain all 9 essential amino acids. Quinoa is also rich in fiber, iron, potassium, phosphorus, Vitamin E, vitamin B and other beneficial antioxidants.
Here are 11 health benefits of quinoa:
- Quinoa comes in red, white and black colors. It is an edible seed and becoming very trendy among the people who are health conscious. It is loaded with the richness of many important nutrients.
- There are many trace nutrients present which are very healthy for the body. These include flavonoids which are basically the plant antioxidants which have beneficial effects on the health. Quercetin and Kaempferol are flavonoids and are found in large amounts in quinoa. Both these molecules have anti viral, anti inflammatory, anti cancer and anti depressants effects.
- Very high in fiber, much higher than most grains: It is high in fiber, but boiled quinoa has less fiber in it as it is absorbed by the water. It has almost 17-27 grams of fiber per cup.
- Gluten-free and perfect for people with gluten intolerance: A gluten free diet is considered to be healthy as long as the starches are not refined as this causes a problem. If gluten foods with refined sugars are consumed they are equal to consuming junk food. Quinoa is a natural gluten free product and is used in gluten free recipes. This increases the nutrient value and the antioxidants of the gluten diet.
- Amino acids make up the protein. Some of these amino acids are known as essential as we need to get them through diet. Many plant foods are deficient in some essential amino acids like lysine. But quinoa is an exception, as it contains all the nine amino acids.
- The glycemic index is usually done to measure the blood sugar levels. On eating foods high in glycemic index, it can stimulate the hunger and leads to obesity. The glycemic index of quinoa is 53 which is low.
- Certain nutrients like magnesium, potassium, zinc and (for women) irons go missing from the diet. Quinoa is very high in all these minerals, especially magnesium.
- Quinoa can lower blood sugar and triglyceride levels thus improving metabolic health.
- Quinoa appears to be very high in antioxidants, which are increased even further after the seeds are sprouted.
- Helps in losing weight as quinoa is high in fiber, protein and has a low glycemic index.
- Quinoa is very easy to include in diet.
If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a dietitian-nutritionist and ask a free question.