Lybrate.com has a nexus of the most experienced Psychiatrists in India. You will find Psychiatrists with more than 37 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Psychiatrists online in Delhi and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. Malik Satish Chander
Treatment Of Male Sexual Problems
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Anger Management Therapy
Treatment of Behaviour & Thought Problems
Quit Smoking Techniques
Cognitive Behavioral Therapy
Memory Improvement Techniques
Obsessive Compulsive Disorder Treatment
Treatment of Abnormal Behaviour
Psychological Diagnosis (Adult And Child)
Electroconvulsive Therapy (Ect) Treatment
Management of Emergency Conditions
Manual Therapy Treatment
Submit a review for Dr. Malik Satish ChanderYour feedback matters!
Mood swings are defined as sudden and abrupt changes in mood. These mood swings can sometimes help promote problem solving abilities, but a stronger form of these can be associated to a more complex disorder namely, bipolar disorder that is characterised by the cyclical shift from manic to depressive and vice versa.
What causes mood swings?
There are several things that can trigger mood swings starting from your brain chemistry to substance abuse. The most common cause of moods swings can be-
- Abnormal levels of neurotransmitters (NTs) in the brain (ex. Serotonin is majorly responsible for change in moods, changes in emotional state and sleep)
- Anabolic steroid abuse
- Borderline personality Disorder
- Autism or other pervasive developmental disorders
- Premenstrual Syndrome
- Major depression
- Post traumatic stress disorder
How to deal with mood swings?
Mood swings can make life difficult for yourself and those around you as well. It is advisable to keep your mood swings under control in order to get along with your life normally.
- Try to remain positive: May be you have had a string of heartbreaks off late or failed interviews, but do not let that define a trend in your life. This can lead to depression and make you upset. Keep your mind open to other possibilities and never lose hope. Hope is something that keeps one going; it gives someone a purpose in life.
- Balance your life: Learn to maintain a balance between work and leisure. Don’t make your life all about work, take small breaks to do what you like (perhaps read a book, or play an instrument).
- Accept the grey in your life: “Life is like a box of chocolates”. You will never know what comes your way. It is never just black and white. Learn to accept that life can go a little downhill sometimes, but don’t be too alarmed by that. Enjoy the best and always keep yourself prepared for the worse.
- Learn to laugh: Enjoy and appreciate the little things around you. It might surprise you, if you consciously look around with an open mind, you will see the miniscule things that may make you laugh. Maybe that neighbour you find annoying is actually a fun guy to be with or that aunty who is always badgering you with questions is actually concerned about you. And most of all learn how to laugh at yourself! People have made a career over doing that. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that. You are more fun than you expected to be. Consult an Expert & get answers to your questions!
I am looking for Anger Management. I am a very short tempered person which is effecting my marriage.
Hi. I feel afraid and alone all time. All time natives thought. My love one had dies before two year .I can't forget that. Every time my brains think about that. May be it depression. I c'nt do any work proper now. I forgotten things .I can't focus on study also. Can I will lives again normal or I should finished it.
I loat somebody close last year since than feel very depressed and prefer keeping to my self all the time.
Every packet of cigarette comes with the warning 'Smoking is injurious to health'. With every national budget plan, the prices of nicotine based additives are hiked. Yet, you cannot quit smoking because you find it extremely difficult to resist the nicotine urge. Ayurveda says that the root cause of addiction is mental stress due to one of the 3 Doshas that are Vata, Pitta, Kapha. People try to terminate them through temporary, addictive methods rather than a bit more natural, holistic methods. Here's how it can be easier for you to quit smoking by adopting Ayurvedic remedies.
- Drink adequate amount of water, especially from a copper vessel. This helps to accumulate the wastes and release them.
- Perform the Neti Kriya (inhaling saline water through one nostril and releasing it through the other and then reversing the procedure).
- Performing the Bhastrika Pranayama twice every day, both in the morning and at night.
- Consume 3 tablets or 1 teaspoon of triphala everyday before going to bed, to eliminate the deposited nicotine tar in your system.
- Consumption of a measured mixture of ashwagandha, bala, shatavari and ginseng every day, or a chyawanprash containing these help in detoxification.
Changes in diet:
- Avoid consumption of alcohol and other addictive drugs, such as coffee, sugar, etc. because they increase the urge to smoke.
- Decrease intake of fatty foods because your metabolism rate is lower than at most other times, so you might risk gaining weight during this period.
- Try a vegetarian diet because it increases the Sattvik quality of your mind. Every fresh food item contains prana or life which rejuvenates both your body and mind.
- Chew anti-nicotine gums or suck on cinnamon sticks which curb your urge to smoke.
- Keep eating low-calorie food items like carrots, apples or celery.
- Incorporating regular exercise in your routine may help you to quit smoking more easily. It controls weight gain, which is a side-effect of quitting, and also offers you a fit and healthy lifestyle.
- Meditating and doing yoga regularly helps in relaxing your mind. Yogic postures like Sabasan help attain internal peace and divert your mind from craving to smoke.
Besides these techniques, there are various other ways like taking help from a professional ayurvedic counselor, which will help you quit smoking, socializing with friends or spending quality time with your family, will keep your mind diverted from the stress of quitting.
Related Tip: "Effects of Smoking on Sexual Health"
My father does't like reading, writing and watching TV; the things that he enjoyed after having an emergency with big dip in sodium level. He was also in depression for some time after that. What is the remedy? He is 76.
The mental health of a person can be regulated with the help of self awareness and a conscious attitude in many cases. Yet, in most cases, one will have to resort to the use of psychiatric help which may include the use of therapy and medication.
There are many conditions that may go out of hand and affect our day to day functioning. These include conditions like depression, bipolar disorder, schizophrenia and many more. Yet, there is a certain amount of stigma and many myths attached to the field of psychiatry and its medication. Here are a few myths that we have tried decoding.
Psychiatric medicines can be addictive: This is a major myth that many people have. It is not true that once you start taking psychiatric medication, you will have to take them for life. In fact, for medicines like anti depressants, most clinicians make it a rule to administer the drugs for only one and a half times for which the same may be required, so that the person does not get dependent on the medication in order to run his or her life in a normal manner. Further, the prescription of such medication is more often than not, backed with proper therapy which happens before and after the medication is taken. This helps in ensuring that the patient is weaned off accordingly with the help of positive discussions and evaluations.
Antidepressants can make us happy: This is another major myth that many people have. The fact is that the antidepressants do not have any euphoria creating properties which recreations drugs may have. These are medicines that have an affect on the production of the specific hormones that may be creating problems in the life of the patient. Therefore, one should not expect to feel happy as soon as the antidepressant is taken with some water. A happier self can only come from within and with outside help like therapy in case the patient is in a constant state of despair. The medication will simply help in suppressing and increasing the production of the necessary hormones in the brain, which will restore the correct chemical balance. A person who takes these kinds of medicines without actually suffering from depression may face side effects like feeling off balance and sick.
Psychiatric medicines have too many side effects: This is another myth that makes people fearful when it comes to taking such medicines. There are side effects in most kinds of medicines, and these are no different. The extent of the side effects for medicines like beta blockers and antidepressants may include an upset stomach and a slight headache, which may make the patient drowsy. Fatigue and a decrease in one’s sexual appetite may also follow as a side effect. Yet, most patients get over these side effects once their body adapts to the medication. These side effects do not hamper one’s life majorly. In fact, there is a constant influx of new medication that makes the side effects, even more mild. Consult an Expert & get answers to your questions!