Lybrate.com has an excellent community of Speech Therapists in India. You will find Speech Therapists with more than 32 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Speech Therapists online in Delhi and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Speech Therapy Treatment
Treatment of Throat and Voice Problems
Treatment of Hearing Disorders
Treatment of Speech Impairment
Therapy Oral Language
Language Therapy Treatment
Language Stimulation Treatment
Treatment of Learning Dysfunction Disorders
Language Presa Treatment
Oral Motricity Surgery
Submit a review for Dr. Kumar GauravYour feedback matters!
I am 16 year old male and I find problem in speaking, I don't speak words incorrect but I stop in between I slutterWhat to do for this?
I am having problem to speak clearly because whenever I speak water comes in my mouth and I have problem to speak clearly.
Voice results from the air that comes out of the lungs and passes through the vocal cords. The latter is also known as the voice box. Speech results from the vibration of the chords. Voice disorder might occur for various reasons such as tone, pitch, and volume of the if the voice. The roots of all problems boil down to the malfunctioning of the cords.
Voice disorder examples:
- Laryngitis: Laryngitis results from the swelling of the vocal cords. It can lead to a temporary halt of voice or a voice with hoarseness. It often occurs due to a viral attack in the respiratory tract. It can last from a few days to a few weeks. The treatment suggested for cases like these include resting the voice and intake of a lot of fluids. Some common causes that are responsible for laryngitis are GERD, chronic cough, and asthma.
- Vocal cord paralysis: Paralysis of the vocal cord can be temporary or permanent. The possible cause of this scenario can be from viral infection, cancer, surgical injury to the nerve etc. In the case of a paralysis of the vocal cord, a person might find difficulty in breathing, can result in weak voice etc. While this condition improves for many people with voice therapy and surgery, for some they permanently lose their ability to speak.
- Spasmodic dysphonia: The vocal cord spasm due to a problem with the nerve. This condition can lead to a quivery, hoarse, groaning or jerky voice. In this condition, a person might find it easy to speak at times and have difficulty in speaking later. Botulinum toxin and speech therapy help to improve this condition.
Possible causes of voice disorders:
- Growth: Extra tissue formation on the vocal cords might stop the vocal cords to work properly leading to voice disorders. The growth can be treated with injection, medicine or surgery.
- Swelling and inflammation: Exposure to chemicals, vocal and alcohol abuse, surgery-related complications can lead to inflammation or swelling of the vocal cords resulting in voice-related problems.
- Hormone: Disorder of the male, female and thyroid hormone can lead to voice related disorders affecting speech.
Symptoms of voice disorders:
- The harshness of the voice
- Voice is breathy, weak and whispery
- The voice sounds like choppy or strained
- A quivering sound while speaking
- The voice sounds harsh or rough while speaking
Diagnosis of Voice related disorders:
Voice related disorders can be detected through a process known as Laryngoscopy. This helps a doctor to view the throat region and find out the possible culprit that may be causing the problem. Some other popular methods are stroboscopy, EMG and imaging tests such as MRI and X-Ray of the throat. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a speech-therapist.
My son is 3.2 years old, he has lisping in his words, is it terminate itself as he grows or something has to be done from our side I e to look after the doctor in the same, please advice.
I have stammering problem. Childhood time I difficulty to speak with others I am also taking speech therapy. Last 1 years But Therapy not effective. Pl give me solution and advise for I continue speech therapy? N recovery is possible.
Hello my voice is loud and harsh and I want to become singer so please tell me how can I make. My voice soft and smooth .does speech therapy is helpful and how much costly does it? And plzz also suggest any other treatment or idea.
Sir. I am ajeet yc from Vijayapur. Now I am studying MCA final year. I have stammering problem. Will you please help me to speak. I am speaking good but some of words start with k, s, p, q, etc I struggled on this spells.
Hello sir, my name is shubham and I have stammering problem. Which is the perfect medicine for stammering.
I am a 24 year old male. I am having problems speaking properly mainly due to breathlessness. I also get sudden panic attacks when others call my name in meetings etc causing me to stutter in my speech. Sometimes I just cannot start with the word I want to start with, and I instead have to insert two words before starting the sentence, like "Um" "Basically" "So. Etc. I think I have some sort of anxiety disorder. Its gradually becoming worse, due to which I'm avoiding many things I normally enjoy like team outings, group events etc, simply because I can't talk properly. Is there any over the counter medication to relieve this anxiety/panic attack problem?
My problem is my talk. I do not perfectly tell the sentences and my tongue was struggled. please help me.
I am 32, at times I feel stammer, like facing new people/environment, meeting, interview, etc. And I could not complete my words specifically, those words which require to use upper phrase, to raise tongue above, example: irr. Ra. Raa. Il. La. Etc. Appreciate your kind suggestion to resolve it quickly.
I am 16 years old and I am sing song I was no stammering but I am talk any other person that time I am stammer so what can I do self therapy.
I want to become a singer like My voice is not so good. I want to make my voice sweet. What should I do to make my voice sweeter. Suggest answer.
Overcame Stammering problem please Advise? I am 20 Years Oldd. Problem As 1 Year Old To Continues, please Answer in Telugu Translation plzzz advice.
Hello specialist my voice is very soft (bassless) nd I have a strong heavy build personality. So I need to make my voice heavy with heavy bass (men-ly) please tell me.
From 6 to 7months my tongue has started to slip and very often I misspell the words I have often started to stammer. What can be done to prevent this. This was not like this before.
How should I behave with my life partner? We quarrel regularly for no reason. Whenever she raises her voice I decrease mine. But when I raise my voice she never decreases her voice and in turn barks at me like hell that world gonna end today and we are gng to leave each other. Is there any suggestion to this problem?
Stuttering is a type of speech disorder wherein, a person speaks slower than normal. It is quite common in the age group of 3 to 8. The relationship between stress and stuttering has been pondered over for decades now. A lot of people seem to believe that stress and stuttering are co-related. On the contrary, recent studies show that stress is more of a consequence rather than a cause of stuttering. If you take the first theory into consideration, then according to that, children would be the greatest victims of anxiety and stress. But it is seen that the level of stress increases proportionately with the increase in age.
Social anxiety in teenagers increases due to stuttering, when they come across individuals who can speak in a normal pace. This in turn can crush their self confidence and lead them to isolate themselves from social groups and people in general. Hence, it is important to deal with stuttering in the early ages or as and when it occurs.
Sometimes stuttering can develop due to physical or mental trauma. Most people with stuttering do not seek therapy for it because they might not think of it to be too severe. Little do they realise that a simple process of speech therapy can help them overcome this disability and rejuvenate their level of self-confidence.
It has also come to light, that people with relapse in stuttering post therapy has shown a three-fold increase in anxiety levels than normal. Hence we cannot ignore the strong relationship between stress and stuttering. So from the above evidence, it is safe to conclude that social anxiety or stress develops as a result of chronic stuttering.
How to deal with stress related to stuttering?
Seeking help is a great start to tackle your disability. If your stuttering is prominent enough to warrant therapy, you must seek professional help for the same. You must also learn to control your anxiety by dismissing any anxious thought or make sincere efforts in controlling physical anxiety.
You can also try to increase your social skills by participating in events, such as public speaking that can reduce your stress levels and make yourself more confident about yourself. One must also remember that a person is defined by what he does rather than what he says. So never let a minor disability come in the way of your self worth! If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a Psychiatrist.