Lybrate.com has a nexus of the most experienced General Physicians in India. You will find General Physicians with more than 29 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find General Physicians online in Delhi and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Oxygen Therapy Treatment
Hiv Prophylaxis Post Exposure
Restylane Vital Procedure
Treatment of Shin Splints
Treatment of Shin Splits
Management of Smoking Cessation
Treatment of Tetracycline Stains
Weight Management Treatment
Management of Surrogacy
Asthma Management Program
Skin Detoxification Treatment
Head And Neck Pain Treatment
Health Check Up
Health Screening For Men
Health Screening For Women
Submit a review for Dr. k Shankar SharmaYour feedback matters!
Hypertension or high blood pressure can be defined as a condition wherein the thrust of the blood against the walls of the arteries is excessively high, thereby, increasing chances of health hazards. The amount of blood that is pumped by the heart and the resistance put up by the arteries usually determine one’s blood pressure count. For instance, if the heart pumps excess amount of blood while the arteries shrink, the blood pressure can soar high. High blood pressure or hypertension may give rise to symptoms such as nosebleeds, short breaths or headaches.
There are two types of hypertension, one is primary and the other is secondary. For essential or primary hypertension, there is no significant reason and the condition slowly develops over years. The secondary one appears all of a sudden as a result of a repressed condition such as thyroid or kidney problems, defective blood vessels and certain medications such as pain-killers, cold relievers, pills for birth control and others.
Other factors responsible for hypertension are:
- As you age it increases
- Family history
- Being obese or overweight
- Being physically inactive
- Consuming too much of sodium or salt in your diet
- Little intake of potassium and Vitamin D in meals
- Being subject to high levels of stress
- Chronic medical disorders such as diabetes
- Alcohol or drug abuse
- Thiazide diuretics can be administered. These help to flush out excess water and sodium from the body in order to reduce excessive volume of blood thrusting against the arteries.
- Beta blockers ease the workload of the heart by opening up the blood vessels.
- Angiotensin-converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitors help inhibit the production of chemicals narrowing the blood vessels.
- Angiotensin II receptor blockers (ARBs) are used to obstruct and curb the action of the chemicals contracting the blood vessels.
- Calcium channel blockers help to loosen the blood vessel muscles
- Renin inhibitors can delay the production of an enzyme called ‘renin’ by the kidneys that increase one’s blood pressure
- One should follow a well-balanced diet that comprises of less salt.
- There is no substitute to regular exercises. Exercising regularly helps one maintain a balanced body weight that further reduces the chances of this condition.
- Abstaining from smoking and limiting alcohol intake helps provide that holistic cover to all the treatment modes mentioned above.
I am suffering from constipation since a month on and off for every three days which persist for two days. Please give me some prescription.
A lifestyle disease such as diabetes is never nice to have, isn’t it? Also, when a person has diabetes, there are some things of which more should be had and then, there are some whose consumption should be scaled back. So what exactly does a diet for a person who has diabetes look like?
Breakfast is said to be the most important meal of the day as it kicks off the metabolism for the day. Having a large breakfast is quite important so as to take care of the body, but this only makes sense if the food that is being eaten for breakfast is healthy enough. It is quite a good idea to have some porridge. While it is true that porridge is a carbohydrate-rich food item, what it also has is a great amount of soluble fibre. In fact, this sort of fibre takes some time to digest, so it reduces the pangs of hunger, which would have normally made a person eat unhealthy junk and fast food.
In a world of food that is processed, packaged and picked up from the supermarket, people are just not eating the correct amount of fruits and vegetables as they should. What is important to keep in mind is that vegetables are to be had in multiple portions on a daily basis, but these vegetables must be low in starch content. This means that for a person who has diabetes, vegetables which should not be eaten include potatoes, sweet potatoes, peas as well as corn.
On the other hand, the sort of vegetables which are to be eaten include broccoli and spinach. Spinach is also very good for increasing the level of haemoglobin in the blood. Also, making use of cinnamon extract is good as it has the potential to cut a person’s sugar levels by up to a tenth.
While it is not true that potatoes and other starchy foods should be completely avoided, a diabetic person should watch the amount of them that is being consumed by him or her. The reason for this is that starch-filled vegetables have high amounts of carbohydrates, which are generally responsible for raising the level of blood sugar. This is surely the last thing a diabetic person would want or need.
If you notice, strawberries have some sugar content, but they are a lot better than biscuits and other snacks. So in case a diabetic person wants to nibble on something, sweet fruits are always a better option. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a dietitian-nutritionist.
Hi, I have burning sensation in stomach, I have shown to hospital and gone under xray and ultra sound scanning nothing found. so, what to do?
I haven't been able to sleep since 2 days and I am having a severe headache, tried multiple home remedies, but didn't work, what to do? Please help me!
Dear sir, I had a sex with a call girl last week During my session when I was about to finish She asked me to remove condom. I had 2-3 mins sex without condom. Now I am little bit scared about STD. Please tell me what to do to get rid of this tension.
Excessive use of mobile can affect on sperm quality and sperm count ? If yes then how to increase the sperm count and how to improve sperm quality?
I am suffering from gas and acidity and constipation since 2 years I'm taking medicine but till the medicine course I feel good but when I stop medication get again same problem so kindly tell me the permanent solution.
I am Male, 27, working night shift on computers, irregular nature call, acidity and gastric problems - for the last 6-8 months heavy pain in anal region for 2-4 hours, consulted surgeon. Done colonoscopy and endoscopy. No problem detected, taking tablets normaxin, cyclopam and ganaton total but no relief. Please please inform if it is a surgeon case or physician case. Thank you
‘Hives’ or ‘urticaria’ can be defined as an outbreak of reddish swollen bumps on the skin surface. This happens because of the body’s response to involuntary histamine release by the skin’s blood vessels (which in turn, cause a leakage of blood plasma). The infection generally lasts for about 5-6 weeks, varying significantly in sizes and shapes. Although it is not a serious medical condition, hives can posit considerable discomfort to the affected person (coupled with severe itching and a constant burning sensation near the spot).
Although the exact reason behind the development of this condition is still unknown, researchers suggest that there are some factors that initiate the disorder.
- Hives can occur as a result of insect or parasite bites.
- In some cases, this disorder might occur as a side effect of painkillers or anti-inflammatory drugs.
- Excessive intake of alcohol or foods rich in proteins such as eggs, fish, nuts, chocolate, berries etc. might also cause hives.
- Excessive exposure to the harmful UV rays of the sun or high levels of stress can also result in hives.
- Also, suffering from serious underlying medical conditions such as cancer, hepatitis or thyroid disorders might drastically aggravate chances of chronic hives as well.
- Development of numerous reddish welts around the face or the arms along with a severe itchy sensation, recurrent feeling of tightness around the chest and constant dizziness.
- Oral inflammation
If not treated immediately after diagnosis, this disorder might cause life- threatening allergic reactions such as Anaphylaxis (a condition which narrows down the bronchial tubes and causes significant breathing troubles) and auto-immune disorders such as rheumatoid arthritis.
The homeopathic preparations useful for treating hives have been mentioned below:
- Apis mellifica: This medication works best for a case of hives that has resulted from insect or parasite bites. Other symptoms that are taken care of by this medication include severe itching and a stinging sensation that worsens at night or with exposure to cold, coupled with mild fever.
- Arsenicum album: This homeopathic preparation is effective to cure hives that include symptoms of a burning sensation, abnormal swelling, and constant restlessness.
- Ichthyolum and Astacus: This preparation is effective to cure chronic hives caused due to serious medical conditions such as uric acid, tuberculosis, or excessive alcohol consumption. People suffering from this particular type exhibit symptoms such as a large appetite, irritability, and a constant itchiness. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a homeopath and ask a free question.