Lybrate.com has an excellent community of Neurologists in India. You will find Neurologists with more than 41 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Neurologists online in Delhi and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. J K Kaushal
Treatment of Neurological Problems
Treatment of Nerve And Muscle Disorders
Treatment of Paralysis
Cerebral Palsy Treatment
Brain Tumor Surgery
Electroconvulsive Therapy (Ect) Treatment
Surgery Of The Facial Nerve
Radiofrequency Neurotomy Procedure
Spine Surgery Treatment
Traumatic Brain Injury (Tbi) Treatment
Treatment of Traumatic Brain Injury (Tbi)
Assistive Walking Device Training
Vagus Nerve Stimulation ( Epilepsy )
Submit a review for Dr. J K KaushalYour feedback matters!
Sleep is an activity where you do nothing, but rest. You relax your body and mind, you rest your bones and muscles, and you rest your eyes after a long day of physical exertion. It is extremely necessary for you to get ample amount of sleep to stay healthy.
Sleep has two component: REM sleep and non-REM sleep. Both are required insufficient duration for proper effective sleep. Most effective and healthy sleep time is between 10PM - 3 AM. Going early to bed and rising early helps you maintain a healthy body and mind. Otherwise, there are various problems which you might have to face if you are lacking sleep.
- Elevates the risk of stroke: According to study, people who get less sleep are more prone to having strokes than those who get enough sleep. If you sleep for less than 6 hours every day, you multiply the risk of having a stroke four times than ordinary.
- Obesity: Lack of sleep can cause obesity. It usually forces you to take erratic food decisions, leading you to eat a lot of junk food. Less sleep administers certain hormonal changes which make you feel hungrier and believe that you haven't eaten enough food. The production of the hormone ghrelin, which controls your hunger, increases due to less sleep. Hence, it may lead to obesity if you keep eating without keeping a check on what you eat.
- Increases the risk of diabetes: Sleep and the production of insulin are inversely related to each other. Among teenagers, the less you sleep; the more insulin resistant your body becomes. This means the body is not able to use the insulin effectively.
- Increase the risk of hypertension: There is Blood pressure drop in deep sleep which is required for maintaining normal blood pressure. Patients who are hypertensive and not able to sleep properly will have more chances of having increased blood pressure despite taking medicines.
- Results in Poor Memory: Less sleep causes tiredness. When you are extremely tired, you are not able to focus on anything going on around you, you cannot concentrate on your work, and you get forgetful. In fact, consistent lack of sleep can even cause permanent loss of memory. This is because you are not being able to fully utilize the memory boosting ability of sleep. This eventually causes brain deterioration which results in permanent memory loss.
- Affects your Heart: Lack of sleep can have an extremely negative impact on your heart. Less sleep also causes stress and strain to your body and mind. It results in an increased production of certain chemicals and hormones in the body which is harmful for your heart. According to a study in 2011, people who sleep less than 6 hours every day increase the risk of having heart problems by almost 48%. It is not very healthy to sleep less as it can complicate your daily life activities. Sleep enough and stay healthy.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
Proper rest and a sound sleep are prerequisites for keeping the physical and mental health in good shape. Difficulty to fall asleep or having a disturbed and interrupted sleep day after day can be a nightmare. In addition to the immense physical exhaustion and fatigue, insomnia can leave a person stressed out mentally which is bound to have an impact on their professional as well as personal lives and commitments. Over the last few years, incidences of insomnia have been rising at an alarming rate.
Insomnia does not always exhibit similar symptoms in all the affected individuals. In some, the condition may be short-term, lasting for a few days or weeks (Transient Insomnia). In some, the problem may appear on and off (Intermittent Insomnia). In extreme cases, insomnia and the associated discomfort may continue for months (Chronic Insomnia). In some instances, insomnia appears as a symptom associated with health conditions such as diabetes, Alzheimer's disease, Parkinson's disease, heart ailments, GERD, to name a few. Severe stress and anxiety along with unhealthy dietary and lifestyle habits are also known to play a pivotal role resulting in insomnia.
The goodness of Unani in treating Insomnia
Unani is one of the ancient forms of medications that has gained immense worldwide appreciation due to its effectiveness in treating various threatening and complicated health conditions including insomnia. In case of Insomnia, the Unani treatment involves a combination of Dietotherapy, Regimental Therapy, and Pharmacotherapy. The main aim of the Unani treatment is to treat insomnia by restoring the balance between the four humors namely, Blood (Dum), Yellow bile (Safra), Phlegm (Balgham), and Black bile (Sauda). It is these four humors that not only nourish the body and the vital organs but also keeps the various health conditions at bay.
With Dietotherapy or Ilaj Bil Ghiza, the aim is to bring the necessary dietary changes to deal with insomnia. The daily intake of banana, walnuts, kale, lettuce leaves, sweet potatoes, herbal tea (especially Chamomile), grapefruits, turkey and red meat (in moderation), whole grains, go a long way to improve the condition of insomnia. People with insomnia should, however, try and avoid processed foods, cheese, pork, aerated, caffeinated and alcoholic drinks, as much as possible. Unani also suggests that the dinner should be light and taken at least 2-3 hours before going to sleep.
Pharmacotherapy or Ilaj Bil Dawa involves the use of Unani medicine to alleviate the discomfort. Some of the medicines often used in treating insomnia includes:
- Rogan Kaddo
- Rogan Badaam
- Hareera Magaz Badaam
- Exercise (Riyazat)
- Massages (Dalk)
- Leeching (Taleeq-e-Alaq)
- Venesection (Fasd)
- Turkish bath (Hammam)
I am 64 years old male patient suffering from insomnia since the last more than five years and I have been taking Lonazep 0.5 for its treatment. But now it seems to be ineffective. I want to switch over to Homeopathic medicine for the treatment of insomnia. Will Passiflora Q will be helpful for me.
I am suffering from VKH syndrome since 2009 and has been under treatment with Steroids (tapering doses) and MMF. Due its recurring nature I was taking these medicines MMF & Prednisolone tab. Now after taking them continuously from 15.12.2014, the doctor has advised me to stop taking prednisolone while continuing 1 tab of MMF (Cellcept 500 mg). Due to the consumption of Steroid (Prednisolone) I have Drug induced DM and is taking insulin (Human Mixtard 50/50) -22 units (16-0-6). For the last few days I find that I have sever pain on my shoulder with right hand elbow paining as if of Tennis Elbow. Both sides of the arms just below the shoulders ache severely some times, some times there is numbness at times pain. Can anybody guide to get rid of these pains please.
Dear sir, Mujhe epilepsy Hain but Meri wife ko nhi. Humdono baby chahate Hain. 1) Mera epilepsy Hain for bhi main 100%fit hnu But main medicine leta hnu pichhle 8 years se (epilepx chorono 500 twice daily) 2) sex krne k aage ya pregnant hone k aage hum dono ko koi medicine ya sabhdhaniya abalamban krna chahiye? 3) Kya kre ki jis se Mera baby fit reh or koi mere trah problem nhi ho? Please koi successful medicine ya upay bataiye ye Mera baby ka future ka sawal Hain sir.
1. Mix a teaspoon of honey in a glass of celery juice and drink it every night before going to bed.
2. Grind some fried cumin (jeera) seeds to a fine powder and mix them with the pulp of a ripe banana. Eat this at night.
3. Add lettuce seeds in boiled water and drink.
4. Mix equal quantities of sesame (til) oil and bottle gourd juice (lauki) and massage this mixture on the scalp every night.
5. Consume salad of raw onions (pyaz) regularly.
6. Eat three cups of curd (dahi) every day.
7. Drink the milk extracted from poppy seeds every day at night after having dinner.
8. Drink a cup of milk with honey every day.
9. Take rose water (gulab jal), add one drop of ghee and rinse the eyes with that water at bed time.
10. For more tips and ayurvedic treatment you may consult me anytime.
11. Take a glass of warm milk and add some nutmeg (jayfal), cardamom (elaichi) and dried ginger (adrak) to it and consume it.
Wish you a good health.
My father who is 52 years of age has been diagnosed of multiple sclerosis but we do not know the basis of it and the cure for it. Can you please help?
Whether it's a child or a grown-up, difficulty in concentrating is often experienced by many people. While, people tend to brush off this particular problem to be nothing worth being concerned about, but sometimes, there may be a more serious underlying issue for which concentration problem is only a mere symptom. Yes, difficulty in concentrating can be a sign of a neurological disorder. Keep on reading to know more about neurological disorder, its symptoms, and treatment.
Reasons behind difficulty in concentrating
Inability to focus properly is a periodic and normal occurrence for many. While sometimes it is the emotional stress or physical tiredness that is responsible for it, at times it is the outcome of hormonal changes in the body, such as during pregnancy or menopause that causes it. However, when experienced in severe degrees, it may be a characteristic of a serious psychological condition called neurological disorder. Affecting both adults and the children, the neurological disorder can be a serious threat if not treated at the right time.
Neurological disorder refers to any condition that happens due to the dysfunction of the nervous system or the parts of the brain. Depending on the location of the damage to the nerve or in the spinal column or the brain, different areas controlling the vision, movement, thinking or hearing can be severely affected. The decreased ability to focus on something or loss of concentration power being one of the many symptoms of neurological disorders among the various complications it causes.
Causes behind neurological disorder
Many reasons lead to neurological disorder or its associated symptoms like difficulty in focusing. From lifestyle-related issues to nutrition related causes, physical injuries to some infections, complications during childbirth, and genetics to environmental influences, numerous factors can be responsible for such disorder. Depending on the type of neurological disorder, the symptoms can vary from to another, while for some difficulty concentrating can be a symptom, for some, the symptoms can be more of physical difficulties such as problems in walking or difficulty speaking or seeing, etc.
Dealing with difficulty concentrating
Once the cause of the neurological disorder is determined, there are various treatment options, offered by the doctors. To deal with the neurological disorder as the cause of difficulty concentrating one may need medications and treatment provided by the medical professionals. However, there are a few tips that one can keep in mind, such as minimizing multitasking and focusing on one single thing or thought at one time or dividing tasks into small steps, etc.
Difficulty in concentrating means the ability to focus on thoughts or action decreasing. In case one experience this issue on a long term basis or excessively, visiting the neurologist as soon as possible should be the best thing to do. In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!