Lybrate.com has top trusted Cardiologists from across India. You will find Cardiologists with more than 26 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Cardiologists online in Delhi and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. Himanshu Maheswari
Balloon Angioplasty Procedure
Treatment of Hip Disorders
Prevention of Blockage, Atherosclerosis & Heart At
Holistic Heart Wellness & Health Care - Ayurveda
Mitral Valve Replacement Surgery
Cerebral Palsy Treatment
Vascular Surgery Treatment
Treatment of Blockage, Atherosclerosis & Heart Att
Cardiac Ablation Procedure
Coronary Bypass Surgery
Carotid Angioplasty And Stenting Procedure
Cardiac Catheterization Procedure
Implantable Cardioverter-Defibrillators (Icds) Tre
Angioplasty Stent Surgery
Preventing Stent Surgeries
Submit a review for Dr. Himanshu MaheswariYour feedback matters!
Lifestyle changes and unhealthy habits take a toll on one’s physical and mental health resulting in many diseases. One such disease that is growing common is the stroke that occurs due to a sudden interruption of blood supply to the brain. As with any lifestyle disease, the chances of having a stroke can be reduced as well. Knowing the risk factors and taking appropriate measures can prevent you from a stroke attack.
Read on to know the seven effective ways to prevent you from a stroke.
- Opt for a healthy lifestyle: While smoking leads to an increased risk of suffering from a stroke, excessive consumption of alcohol not only triggers irregular heartbeats, but also high blood pressure, which can be a solid reason behind having a stroke. Therefore, leading a healthy lifestyle free from smoking and alcohol can help in preventing strokes.
- Manage conditions: Whether it is diabetes or any other kind of illness which directly or indirectly give rise to the risk of having a stroke, dealing with one's underlying conditions is important. In case one is diagnosed with such a condition that can be responsible for a stroke, he or she must make it a point to keep that condition under control.
- Lose weight: Obesity is often known to increase the complexities associated with a stroke such as diabetes and high blood pressure. Therefore, for those who are overweight, losing a few pounds can be really helpful in preventing the chances of having a stroke.
- Keep blood pressure in check: High blood pressure often causes a stroke, if not controlled. It is referred to as the biggest contributor in causing a stroke by many. Lowering the high blood pressure or bringing it to normal levels can indeed be a great way of preventing a stroke.
- Exercise regularly: Exercise not only contributes to lowering the blood pressure, but also helps to maintain body weight while ensuring the overall fitness of the body. Some light hand exercises or regular walking combined with proper diet can do wonders in preventing a stroke.
- Have a proper sleep at night: Spending sleepless nights may increase the risk of stroke. Therefore, one must make it a point to maintain the necessary amount of sleep at night that can help in reducing stress and anxiety, while decreasing the chance of heart diseases as well as a stroke.
- Never ignore the palpitations: Ignoring the palpitations is the last thing one can want to do, if he or she is willing to prevent the chances of suffering a stroke. Feelings of lightheadedness or shortness of breath, chest pain and abnormal heart beats can be warning signs for a stroke. Therefore, you must pay proper attention to these and deal with appropriate medications.
An otherwise healthy person can stay away from stroke by continuing a healthy lifestyle and following the tips mentioned above. However, if you have suffered a stroke earlier, then it becomes imperative to follow these tips along with supervised medical care.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
I am having blood pressure taking medicine telcure 40 mg but my reading is 149/99. My sugar level is normal.
People with very low cholesterol levels are at increased risk of developing stomach cancer, according to a study published in the International Journal of Cancer.
The study involved 2,600 residents of Hisayama, Japan, who were followed for 14 years. Gastric cancers developed in 97 subjects. After accounting for age and gender, stomach cancer rates rose significantly with descending cholesterol level. For example, among subjects with the highest cholesterol levels, the gastric cancer rate was the equivalent of 2.1 cases per 1000 persons per year; among those with the lowest cholesterol, the rate was 3.9 per 1000 persons per year.
Patients with low serum cholesterol should consider periodic gastrointestinal examination for the prevention of stomach cancer.
Low cholesterol has been earlier linked to depression, anxiety and suicide in both men and women. Another earlier report has also shown that people with cholesterol level below 180 had twice the risk of brain hemorrhage as compared to those with cholesterol levels of 230.
Hii, sometimes my left arm occur too much pain is it any heart diseases or its normal Can you tell me about it how and why it's happen.
Gud evng Dr. My 9th month of pregnancy is going to complete on 8th March. Earlier my BP was OK, but now it's coming higher. What should I do and not.
My chest suddenly starts paining. It feels like sudden vigorous pain. After that I am not able even to breath properly for 2 min. What's the problem? What should I do?
Hi, I am 23 years old Male, suffering from chest congestion and wheezing right from my childhood, could anyone suggest me best way to get rid off from this,
My heart beat increases during normal walking up to 160 beats per minute and HR during rest become normal ie. 55-60 beats per minute. I consulted with physician, he suggested me for some blood test n 2D echocardiography, all comes out to be normal ,when heart beats increases I feel unevenness n pain in legs. From few days I also feel some movement in right hand thumb and feel weakness in that right thumb.
Hi. I am just 21 sometimes I'm just getting heart (chest) pain the pain will be up to 30 to 50 secs sometimes one min .today I got pain for two times Nd I'm got pain like this for more than 7 times whenever I feel sad emotional if I cry I'm getting pain.
Coronary artery disease, also known as coronary heart disease or CHD, is a kind of disease in which a wax-like substance called plaque, builds up in the coronary arteries.
Function of Coronary Artery
The task of coronary arteries is to supply oxygen rich blood to the heart muscles. When there is the growth of plaque in these arteries, the condition is termed as atherosclerosis. Plaque builds up over the years, and it hardens or ruptures with time. When plaque gets hardened, it narrows the coronary arteries and thus disrupts the flow of oxygen-rich blood to the heart muscles causing coronary heart diseases. Millions of people are diagnosed with heart diseases, nowadays.
Though it is true that living with a heart disease is not easy, it is not impossible either. Many people are successfully leading a happy life in spite of having such diseases. With some major changes in your lifestyle, food habits and with the help of exercises and a healthy diet, it is possible to enjoy a happy life, irrespective of your diseases.
Here are six ways that would help you to lead a better life, even if you have been diagnosed with coronary artery disease.
- Lifestyle changes: This is the first point that needs to be kept in mind if you are a CAD patient. Lifestyle changes are essential to make for a better health and life. Smoking and drinking have to be given up completely. It is advised to avoid secondary smoke, as much as possible.
- Exercises: This is the next important activity that needs to be a part of your daily routine to lead a healthy life. Consult with your doctor about the types of exercise that would suit your conditions. Some common exercises that would help are walking, jogging, and swimming, for at least 30 minutes at the most. Choose whichever activity you like doing. The motive of exercises is to get your heart-rate up.
- A Heart healthy diet: Get a chart prepared for your diet by a dietitian or by your doctor. This will keep your disease from getting worse. Stick to a heart-healthy eating plan, which consists of foods that can lower your risk of heart attack, stroke, etc. Include more fruits, vegetables, and other high fibre foods in your daily diet. Go for foods that are low in saturated fats, trans-fats, and cholesterol. Try to include fish into your diet.
- Maintain a healthy weight: Being overweight or obese aggravates any disease. So it is important to keep your body weight perfect.
- Taking medicines as prescribed: It is important to take medicines regularly and as prescribed by the physician.
- Keeping tensions, anxiety to a minimum: These will make the situation worse if you are CAD patient. So try to keep tension and anxiety away and lead a healthy life. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a Cardiologist.