Symptoms and Tests to Diagnose Diabetes
Hello friends. Mai Dr. Hanish Gupta hun jo ki diabetes se sambandhit kuch information aaj aap log k saath share karne aaya hun. Mai Delhi sheher mein practice karta hun aur Lybrate ka aabhari hun ki Lybrate mujhe ye awasar de raha hai ki mai aap ke saath diabetes k uplaksh mein kuch baate discuss kar sakta hun. Sab se zyada bechida sawaal jo mai logon se sunta hu jo vastavik mein ek simple sawaal hai wo ye hai k kya diabetes mujhe hai bhi ya nahi. Har insaan janna chahta hai k diabetes ya mudhume jaisi bimaari usey grasth kar rahi hai ya nahi. Well iska jawab aap ek simple blood test k dwara kisi bhi laboratory mein test karwa paa sakte hai. Agar aap ki fasting blood sugar 126 se zyada hai wo bhi 2 awsaro par na ki ek awsar par to aap ko diabetes ka mareez ghosith kiya jayega.
Aur isi uplaksh mein ek aur, isi samdhar mein ek aur test hota hai jo ki hai glycocelated Haemoglobin jise aasan bhasa mein HB-A1C test kaha jaata hai. Is test dwara aap ke 3 mahine k blood sugar ki ausaad pata lagayi ja sakti hai. Is test ka humein result percentage mein milta hai. Agar ye test 6.4% se zyada kisi bhi mareez mein paya jaata hai to use bhi diabetes ka mareez ghosith kia jaa sakta hai. Dosto diabetes itni bhi bechida bemari nahi hai jitna isko banaya jaata hai. Diabetes ko pata lagane k liye kewal ye 2 test mehetwapoorna bhi hai aur purna taur pe poore bhi hai jiske dwara aap diabetes k baare mein pata bhi laga sakte hai. Kuch aisi baate aur bhi hai jo mai aap ke saath discuss karna chahta hun.
Well, agar aap ke parivar me koi aisa sadasya hai jise diabetes hai ya aap ki umar 40yrs se zyada ho chuki hai ya aap ko sudden unexplained weight loss hai ya aap wazan me zyada hai ya aisa hai ki kuch dino se aap ko kuch zarurat se zyada bhukh lagne lagi hai ya zarurat se zyada peshaab aane lag gay ahai to aap ko diabetes ka test karana aniwarya hai. To dosto in vishesh baaton ka agar aap dhyaan rakhege to aapno ko aur aapne parijano ko diabetes jaisi bimaari se bacha sakte hai. Mere se sampark karne k liye aap kabhi bhi Delhi me mere clinic ka address Librate dwara paa sakte hai. Dhanyawad. Hello friends. Mai Dr. Hanish Gupta hun jo ki diabetes se sambandhit kuch information aaj aap log k saath share karne aaya hun.
Mai Delhi sheher mein practice karta hun aur Librate ka aabhari hun ki Librate mujhe ye awasar de raha hai ki mai aap ke saath diabetes k uplaksh mein kuch baate discuss kar sakta hun. Sab se zyada bechida sawaal jo mai logon se sunta hu jo vastavik mein ek simple sawaal hai wo ye hai k kya diabetes mujhe hai bhi ya nahi. Har insaan janna chahta hai k diabetes ya mudhume jaisi bimaari usey grasth kar rahi hai ya nahi. Well iska jawab aap ek simple blood test k dwara kisi bhi laboratory mein test karwa paa sakte hai. Agar aap ki fasting blood sugar 126 se zyada hai wo bhi 2 awsaro par na ki ek awsar par to aap ko diabetes ka mareez ghosith kiya jayega. Aur isi uplaksh mein ek aur, isi samdhar mein ek aur test hota hai jo ki hai glycocelated Haemoglobin jise aasan bhasa mein HB-A1C test kaha jaata hai. Is test dwara aap ke 3 mahine k blood sugar ki ausaad pata lagayi ja sakti hai. Is test ka humein result percentage mein milta hai. Agar ye test 6.4% se zyada kisi bhi mareez mein paya jaata hai to use bhi diabetes ka mareez ghosith kia jaa sakta hai.
Dosto diabetes itni bhi bechida bemari nahi hai jitna isko banaya jaata hai. Diabetes ko pata lagane k liye kewal ye 2 test mehetwapoorna bhi hai aur purna taur pe poore bhi hai jiske dwara aap diabetes k baare mein pata bhi laga sakte hai. Kuch aisi baate aur bhi hai jo mai aap ke saath discuss karna chahta hun. Well, agar aap ke parivar me koi aisa sadasya hai jise diabetes hai ya aap ki umar 40yrs se zyada ho chuki hai ya aap ko sudden unexplained weight loss hai ya aap wazan me zyada hai ya aisa hai ki kuch dino se aap ko kuch zarurat se zyada bhukh lagne lagi hai ya zarurat se zyada peshaab aane lag gay ahai to aap ko diabetes ka test karana aniwarya hai.
To dosto in vishesh baaton ka agar aap dhyaan rakhege to aapno ko aur aapne parijano ko diabetes jaisi bimaari se bacha sakte hai. Mere se sampark karne k liye aap kabhi bhi Delhi me mere clinic ka address Librate dwara paa sakte hai. Dhanyawad.read more
Tests which confirm about Diabetes and its Symptoms
Hello friends main doctor Hanish Gupta hu, diabetes related kuch information mein aaj aaplogo ke sath share karne aaya hu. Main Delhi sahar mein practice karta hu aur Lybrate ka abhari hu ki Lybrate mujhe yeh avsar de raha hai ki main apke sath diabetes ke upalaksh mein kuch batey discuss kar saku. Sabse zyada pechida sawal jo main logo se sunta hu jo ki vastavik roop mein ek simple sawal hai who yeh hai ki kya diabetes mujhe hai bhi yah nahin?
Har insaan janna chahta hai ki diabetes yah madhumeh jaisi bimari ussey grasth kar rahi hai yah nahin? Well iska jawab aap ek simple blood test dwara kahi bhi kisi bhi laboratory mein test kara ke paa sakte hai. Agar apka fasting blood sugar 126 se zyada hai who bhi do avsaro par naki ek avsar par toh apko diabetes ka mareez ghoshit kiya jayega. Isi upalaksh mein ek aur test hota hai jo ki hai glycosylated haemoglobin jissey asaan bhasha mein hba1c ka test kaha jata hai. Is test dwara apke teen mahine ki blood sugar ki ausat pata lagayi jaa sakti hai. Iss test ka humein result percentage mein milta hai. Agar yeh test 6.4% se zyada kisi bhi mariz mein paya jaa raha hai toh ussey bhi diabetes ka mareez ghoshit kiya jaa sakta hai.
Dosto diabetes itni pechida bimari nahin hai jisko bana diya jata hai. Diabetes ko pata lagan ke liye keval yeh do test mahetwapurn bhi hai aur purn taur pe purey bhi hai jiske dwara aap diabetes ke barey mein pata laga sakte hai. Kuch aisi baatey aur bhi hain jo main apke sath discuss karna chahta hu jaise diabetes ke lakshan kya hai. Well agar apke parivar mein koi aisa sadasya hai jissey diabetes hai yah apke upar 40 saal se zyada ho chuki hai yah apko sudden unexplained weight loss hai yah aap wazan mein zyada hai yah aisa hai ki kuch dino se apko zarurat se zyada bhook lagne lagi hai yah zarurat se zyada peshaab aney lag gaya hai toh apko diabetes ke test karwana anivarya hai.
Toh dosto in vishesh baton ka agar aap dhyaan rakhengey toh aap apno ko aur apne parijano ko diabetes jaisi bimari se bacha sakte hai. Mere se sampark karne ke liye aap kabhi v Delhi mein mere clinic ka address Lybrate dwara paa sakte hai. Dhanyabaad!read more
How alcohol affects liver and metabolism?
Hello, friends, my name is Dr. Hanish Gupta. I am a General Physician working in Delhi at various major hospitals and having my own clinic by the name of Life Aid in Mayur Vihar Phase one. Today, I have come to discuss with you very important topic of the bad effects of alcohol on our liver.
We all know that liver is the primary organ in the body that deals with metabolism and metabolism is the process by which we digest food, we assimilate it in our body and also eliminate the toxins that come with it. Fortunately for us liver is the organ that takes care of all these toxins. All the bad things that collect in our body because of our bad eating habits or drinking habits, the liver is the organ that helps us eliminate those toxins and keeps us healthy. Alcohol is one such toxin.
We may have a good time with alcohol drinking with our friends whether socially or by our own conception but at the end of the day alcohol is and will remain a very important toxin in the body that needs to be eliminated. Liver is the organ that does that. Unfortunately some people they don't realize the delicate balance of alcohol and liver if we take alcohol in moderation then liver gets the ample time to eliminate it from the body and metabolize it but if we keep on taking it regularly and in very high amount then liver becomes overburdened in eliminating. This toxin out of the body what happens is that liver starts to store the excess alcohol because it does not have enough time or power to eliminate. It is the excess alcohol that starts to get collected in the liver cells and because of this excess accumulation of alcohol in the liver cells they start to bloat up and the first stage of liver damage begins.
At this stage if a person who has started to become dependent on alcohol stops taking alcohol then all the bad effects of alcohol they get reversed as far as the liver mousse but if unfortunately somebody continues to take alcohol despite the good advice of his doctor then liver starts to undergo permanent damage and may become shrunken in a very short span of time. This is the problem with liver once it starts shrinking the permanent damage has already been done which is known cirrhosis of liver which is actually an irreversible damage to the live.
So friends my nice advice to you is that you want to take alcohol always remember the delicate balance between alcohol intake and your liver metabolism. If you go by this principle then you will have a very healthy life which is going to be too thanks for listening in. I hope that you connect with me again on liberate online consults or have the sweet opportunity of visiting my clinic at Delhi. Thank you very much.read more
Diabetes is the major cause of Kidney Disease!
Hello friends welcome back to Lybrate I am Dr Hanish Gupta and today I will be talking about diabetes and kidney diseases. Friends all over the world a large number of patients are started to have dialysis, a large number of patients are undergoing kidney failure. This hasn't happened suddenly but has happened because of 2 common causes known as diabetes and blood pressure. Diabetes forms the biggest cause of Kidney failure and kidney diseases and today for any stage of kidney illness diabetes is the number one cause for the people of USA. India is also fast approaching that scenario.
People believe that in diabetes when they get their kidney function test done and it comes out to be normal they think everything is fine which isn't the case. Kidney starts the sign of deterioration with diabetes very early on and it is very important for the Dr to detect if there is any kidney issue or not. The test required here is the urine test. In very early stage of diabetes there is microalbuminuria in urine which is the passage of protein from the body in very small amount, that is the result stage of kidney failure. That is also the right time to save further complications of kidney infection.
People keep in getting their kidney function test and believe their kidney is fine on the basis of that. But it is actually the urine ACR done by standardized methods in laboratories that gives the right diagnosis. The important thing is that not only test but also the signs and symptoms that tell us about the kidney condition. People believe that it is the amount of urine passage that decides this factor but the most important sign is swelling over the body. Simple signs like loss of appetite can also detail about kidney failure.When kidney has started deteriorating patient observed a tremendous amount of relief in sugar control, thus patient believes that diabetes condition is improving but that is not the case it is actually kidney deterioration that brings down the sugar level. The reason for this is that insulin is eliminated from the kidney and when kidney is undergoing deterioration the time period for which insulin remains in the body increases which is called as increase in the half life of insulin. So with that points keep your kidneys healthy and keep diabetes under control.
You can visit my clinic or contact me through Lybrate.read more
Knowing thyroid problems
Hello everyone! My name is Dr. Hanish Gupta and I’m here today to discuss with you the important effects of thyroid gland on human body.
We have appropriately titled this video as three minute thyroid consult because I’m going to explain you within three minutes that what is thyroid gland and how it affects the human body.
Thyroid gland is a butterfly shaped gland which is located in front of your windpipe just like this. This is the thyroid gland. Thyroid gland despite its small size is a very very important gland for the human body because it controls the growth and the energy processes of the human body that is why the effect of this hormone has a far reaching effect on the entire functioning of the human body.
Now I will talk about the excess and the deficiency of this hormone in the human body which needs two conditions called hypothyroidism when there is a deficiency of this hormone in the body and hyperthyroidism when there is an excess of this hormone in the human body. The most common condition of hypothyroidism or deficiency of this hormone in the human body is hashimoto thyroiditis in which the thyroid gland looks like this. This is a condition in which all the energy processes of the human body, they become slower. There is weight gain, there is slowness of the heart rate or bradycardia there is swelling of the human body, there is hair fall, there is infertility or menstrual problems in females, there is depression, and most importantly all these things they collect together and become a very big problem for the patient.
However, the help is nearby because this condition can be treated with taking only one pill on daily basis. Similarly, a condition in which there is an excess of this hormone in the human body is known as hyperthyroidism and the most common cause of hyperthyroidism is Grave’s disease in which the thyroid gland looks like this. This is a condition in which all the energy processes of the human body, they become fast, there is faster heart rate, there is tremors or tremulousness, there is irritability of mood, there is weight loss, there is lot of other things that indicate that the patient is having faster energy but of no use because he’s having this condition for a long time and this condition can also be treated by taking only one pill, which can even be stopped later in life.
So, friends I hope that I have been able to dispel your doubts about thyroid hormone and I believe that you would love to come back to me on Lybrate for an online opinion or at my clinic at life aid clinic located in Delhi.
Thanks for watching and keep healthy!
Hello everyone, my name is Dr. Hanish Gupta. I’m a specialist in internal medicine and mainly an expert in diabetes and cardio vascular diseases. Today I’m here with you to discuss a very important symptom of Chest pains.
It is a very worrisome symptom for any patient. It is very frustrating for the family members because they believe that every chest pain could be a hall mark of a heart attack. But my friends, this is not the case every single time. Chest pain is a pathogenic symptom of heart attack but all heart attacks do not necessarily come with chest pains and vice versa. It is most importantly found in patients of gastric diseases like Peptic Ulcer disease by which a patient suffering from hyper acidity would also come to his doctor with the same complaint. So if your chest pain is related to food, meals or associated with feelings of vomiting like nausea then definitely this could be related to the gastro-intestinal diseases. Moreover some patients come to us and say that they have a pin point chest pain which can be pointed at any part of the chest specially if they are pressing on that part and fuelling that same act of pain, then perhaps there is a muscular-skeletal chest pain which deals with muscles and the rib cage other than the heart itself.
Having said that, chest pain which is related to the Heart attack is almost always related to breathlessness. Nobody ever had a heart attack without having breathlessness. So this is a very important symptom to be noted in the patient that if he is having breathlessness associated with chest pains then it is a definite symptom which is going towards a ‘red flag’ sign of heart attack. Moreover I’d like to point out here that some of the patients of diabetes can present to us without having chest pain and just presenting to us with breathlessness. This is primarily so that just like there is a feeling of numbness in the limbs of a diabetic patient. Similarly there is a numbness id the muscles and nerves around the rib cage due to which this patient may have a silent heart attack which presents only with breathlessness and chest pain. That is why in patients of diabetes only breathlessness itself is a hall mark of heart attack.
If a person has chest pain which is related specially to activity, example: climbing up the stairs, walking, jogging, swimming or running or any kind of strenuous activity and that is the time when the pain but goes away when the patient is resting. This kind of a chest pain could be related to the ischemic heart diseases or the coronary artery disease that leads to heart attack in future.read more
Hello everyone, I am Dr Hanish Gupta. I am an expert in Diabetes and cardio vascular diseases. I am working in various major Hospitals in Delhi. Today I am delighted to be with you to discuss about Diabetes and Insulin.
Lot of our patients is using Insulin as a medicine for diabetes. And they are always under an impression that the Insulin is not a very good choice, that has been made by their doctor for the treatment. The first thing that crops their mind is that, Insulin once started will always going to be a drug of choice for them. But believe me, it is not so. Insulin can be started at any stage of the diseases and it can be continued/ discontinued at your doctor's impression for your disease process. Meaningby. Insulin is not only a best medication for you just because it is the most natural thing available in your body, but because of the fat that Insulin is the most easy prescription that a patient can get.
I will explain you why..
Lot of people belive that by giving Insulin as a medication which is used with an injection, they are doing something un natural. But that is not the case. Diabetes is not basically a sugar problem, rather it is a problem for Insulin. It is a problem of imbalance of Insulin in the body. There is sugar in the body that needs to enter the muscles, but it is not able to enter the muscles, primarily because Insulin is not available in the body. And that is why, whenever a diabetics comes to a doctor, the choice of medicines that runs across the minds of a doctor, is Insulin. Doctors believe that it is easy to take medicines by mouth rather than taking by injections. And that is the primary reason that Insulin is not prescribed to everyone.
There is a myth that is attached to Insulin that Insulin is a medicines which is prescribed to failure patients. Patients who cannot do anythinga and those which are at last stage of the disease are prescribed Insulin. But belive me, Insulin is not such a medicines which can only be prescribed to the patients on last stage or the failure patients. Insulin infact, can be prescribed at any stage of diabetes. And it can be discontinues also at any stage of the diabetes. There are some patients who have been taking Insulin from number of years but because their diabetes get controlled due to good amount of exercises and good amount of diabetic control, their Insulin is stopped. And they coninues to have a very healthy and a very natural life onwards. Just taking medication. There is also one thing that Insulin causes highest amount of hypoglycemia, meaningby which the lowering of blood sugar. I believe, that patients dont take Insulin that they believe that their sugar level rae going to be so low that there will be no sutainance of life.
But that is the problem, that is more prominent with cases of oral medicines taken. Infact, oral medicines cause Hypoglycemia upto a very prolonged period, upto a matter of 48 hours. But in Insulin, when there is a lowering of blood sugar or Hypoglycemia, tat lasts only a matter of 4-6 hours. Because the action of Insulin is such that it stops acting after it is eliminated from the body after 6 hours. But as far as the oral medication concern, they continue to be in the body for a long period of time, they also keeps on continuing and the Hypoglycemia also continues.
So friends, that is all for now. I hope that I have been able to dispell some of your doubts on Diabetes and Insulin. And I hope to get in touch with you through Lybrate very soon, through audio or text consult, which ever is your choice.
And you are free to take offline appointments also by visiting my profile on Lybrate.com.
Thanks alot, be healthy and be disease free.read more
Book Clinic Appointment
Treatment Of Erectile Dysfunction
Treatment Of Male Sexual Problems
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Thyroid Problems Treatment
Thyroid Disorder Treatment
Diabetic Diet Counseling
Urinary Incontinence (Ui) Treatment
Pre And Post Delivery Care
Sperm Donor Program
Adult Diabetes Treatment
Type 1 Diabetes Treatment
Submit a review for Dr. Hanish GuptaYour feedback matters!
Patient Review Highlights
I consulted a number of specialists but the way Dr Hanish Gupta treated me was the best. Even though I was fit and fine, it was shocked when I got to know that I have erectile dysfunction. Dr Hanish Gupta is really like god send person. I am really grateful as his erectile dysfunction has give me a ray of hope. I must say the hygiene was maintained very nicely in the LifeAID ClinicHanish Gupta has so much knowledge that for everything my family takes his reference. I remember, I read an article of Dr Hanish Gupta in the paper and made contact. I am so happy with the results of my treatment, that I will surely recommend Hanish Gupta to anyone gladly.
Even though Hanish Gupta is not from our city, he is still very famous, so we consulted him. He is not just friendly, but also is very motivating. I have consulted so many doctors but nobody till now was able to understand my concern properly, until i consulted Hanish GuptaI feel strange that I am suffering from depression. It was so quite pleasant in the LifeAID Clinic. It has been quite some time that i was suffering from depression. I'am almost on the path to recovery, Thanks to my Hanish Gupta perfect advice.
Thanks to him I am totally satisfied with the results. The nurses at the LifeAID Clinic were really helpful. One of my colleague referred Hanish Gupta. Overall gain weight treatment was very effective. The entire LifeAID Clinic is very nicely designed. Hanish Gupta is really like god send person. I have had this gain weight treatment from quite some time. Hanish Gupta has in depth knowledge and ensures that he explains the problem in detail.
I was panicked, because I never thought that I will suffer from thyroid disorders like this. I consulted a number of specialists but the way Dr Hanish treated me was the best. I am so happy that I chose him for my treatment as now I am perfectly fine. Not only he is very calm and composed, but is also a very understanding doctor. The guidance he gave me has helped me immensely with my situation.
I was shocked to experience the symptoms of thyroid. Thanks to Dr Hanish for the thyroid treatment he gave me has given brilliant results. My previous experiences were not so good, but he has completely changed my opinion as he is very helpful and humble. The guidance he gave me has helped me immensely with my situation. I owe him a big thank for traeting me so patiently.
I was suffering from High sugar problem for which I consulted Dr Hanish. Thanks to the expert care and guidance, I feel much better than before. During the treatment, he supported me a lot. He has a very positive attitude towards all the patients. He is quite knowledgeable in his field The waiting area in the LifeAID Clinic is very comfortable for elderly patients.
The symptoms were severe and unmanageable, as I was suffering from sugar, but Dr Hanish was able to handle it. He is so pleasant to talk to and always ready to answer your doubts. Thanks to the expert care and guidance, I feel much better than before. He is not just highly qualified, but has years of experience in handling high risk cases.
I consulted Hanish Gupta for my cousin’s Adult Diabetes Treatment as his case was damn serious. He doesn't just randomly prescribes medicines, but first properly diagnoses the problem.With great ease he explained us the problem and how the treatment will be carried out.he can be consulted at LifeAID Clinic in delhi .
The symptoms were severe and unmanageable, as I was suffering from diabetes, but my doctor, Hanish Gupta was able to handle it. LifeAID Clinic had all the amenities, a patient requires. I am so thankful that Hanish Gupta has given me the best advice and I am now finally able to get back to my normal self.
Thanks to Dr Hanish for the underactive thyroid treatment. I am quite benefitted with his treatment. He is really a ptient listener. He asked me number of questions in order to know the problem and then started the treatment. His treatment helped me in recovery and now I am not facing any such problem.
I found the answers provided by the Dr. Hanish Gupta to be saved my life. If it is normal after physical handling,why secrating from one breast ? Perticularly left breast nipple skin very thin after bite(1year ago) till now.this portion skin will not to be normal ?
Dr. Hanish Gupta provides answers that are well-reasoned, caring, prompt, nurturing and professional. My 1st experience with this system and here is fiver to you. thank you.
Dr. Hanish Gupta provides answers that are very helpful, knowledgeable, well-reasoned, practical and professional. Thank you doctor ,your suggestion is valuable for me.
I found the answers provided by the Dr. Hanish Gupta to be inspiring, knowledgeable, very helpful, caring and nurturing. Thanks for the valuable advice.
I found the answers provided by the Dr. Hanish Gupta to be very helpful, helped me improve my health and professional. Thanks doctor
I found the answers provided by the Dr. Hanish Gupta to be caring. Good health helps to the Doctors
I found the answers provided by the Dr. Hanish Gupta to be very helpful. Very helpful...
Dr. Hanish Gupta provides answers that are prompt. Helpful, but what is the treatment ?
I found the answers provided by the Dr. Hanish Gupta to be very helpful. Excellent
Saket Kumar Mishra
I found the answers provided by the Dr. Hanish Gupta to be nurturing. Thnx
Dr. Hanish Gupta provides answers that are very helpful. Thanx dr hanish
Dr. Hanish Gupta provides answers that are well-reasoned. Well reasoned
Some people says that we should not drink water when we are in standing position it is harmful for our knee joints. Is that true.
Insulin is critical for the overall functioning of the body, specifically when you are insulin resistant, and the body is compelled to store the food consumed as fat. Insulin resistance also leads to inflammation in the body leading to a host of health issues that anyone would not be prepared to deal with. Therefore, always look for means to improve insulin.
Here are some of these practical ways to accomplish it.
- Strength training and other non-aerobic activities: Exercise is the best way to improve insulin sensitivity since your cells and muscles are desperate for fuels during as well as after completion of the workout. Researchers are of the opinion that all sorts of physical activity are helpful but non-aerobic exercises can have the best impact on insulin health.
- Cook to increase resistant starch: Whenever you eat anything with high carbohydrate, it will readily increase your blood sugar levels. Carbohydrates rich in resistant starch fail to respond to the normal enzymes in the stomach which can help with improving insulin sensitivity.
- Avoid liquid fructose: Liquid fructose leads to fat gain around the abdomen and is connected to belly fat gain when taken in large quantities. Along with eradicating all the fructose containing beverages, you should also eliminate highly processed foods.
- Make sure you get enough magnesium: Magnesium is a mineral required for improving insulin sensitivity since it functions as natural insulin sensitizer which can exert positive effects on the insulin receptors in every cell of the body.
- Balance the healthy fatty acids: You should avoid trans-fatty acids since they can lead to plaque formation. Moreover, you must reduce the intake of processed oils and get more Omega fatty acids.
- Make healthy choices: Foods which can help in improving the body’s ability to store the carbs as muscle glycogen should be taken more often. These include green tea, vinegar, nuts and all sorts of herbs and spices.
- Include foods that can reduce the glycemic levels: This means that you should choose whole foods rather than refined foods since they can help in slow surging of the blood sugar intake. This gives the body a chance to regulate the insulin efficiently instead raising the blood sugar levels.
- Indulge in endurance exercises: If you prefer endurance training, it can have a good effect on your insulin sensitivity. Endurance training can improve insulin sensitivity which decreases the requirement of insulin for clearing a considerable amount of glucose from the bloodstream.
Insulin is a vital hormone which can control your blood sugar levels. It secreted by the pancreas and help in removing the sugar in the blood. With these 8 simple lifestyle and dietary changes, you can improve the insulin utilization in your body. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult an Endocrinologist.
Diabetes is a chronic lifestyle disease that can affect any person at any age and at some level we all are aware about it. It is also characterized by the body’s inability to create or process insulin. Though it is a very common disease, there are a number of misconceptions and myths about it. Let’s take a closer look at some of these myths.
Myth1: Diabetics cannot eat sugar in any form
Fact: Diabetics do not necessarily have to live on a sugar-free diet. However, the amount of sugar being consumed needs to be highly regulated. Sugar is avoidable when the person’s blood sugar level is high but if the person has low blood sugar, a little sugar can help raise blood sugar to a normal level. A diabetic needs to have a well-balanced diet with plenty of fiber, fruits and vegetables and controlled amounts of carbohydrates, fats and sugar.
Myth2: Diabetes only affects obese people
Fact: The risk of diabetes is higher when it comes to overweight and obese people but this disease can affect thin people as well. A person’s family medical history, genetic makeup, age and ethnicity are other factors that could influence the risk of suffering from diabetes. Additionally, people living a sedentary lifestyle are more likely to suffer from diabetes.
Myth3: Diabetics need lots of rest and should not play sports
Fact: A number of well-known sportsmen are diabetic. Hence, there is no truth in the above statement. Regular exercise is a must for diabetics. This improves diabetes management and helps stabilize blood sugar levels. However, if you have been living a sedentary lifestyle, you cannot jump straight into high-intensity exercises. Let your body gradually get fitter and test your blood sugar half an hour before exercising as well as every half hour when exercising. This helps keep a check on your blood sugar levels. If you start feeling weak, take a break and have a light snack.
Myth4: Diabetics have to use insulin injections
Fact: There are two types of diabetes; type1 and type 2. People suffering from type 1 diabetes usually need insulin injections but people suffering from type 2 diabetes can usually manage the disease with medication. Paying attention to your diet, regular exercise and medication can also help reverse type 2 diabetes.
Myth5: Diabetes is communicable
Fact: Diabetes cannot spread from one person to another. Touching a diabetic or sharing food with them will not make another person diabetic as well. Diabetes can only be passed on genetically from parents to a child. Even in this case, the disease itself is not transferable. The child will only have a higher risk of developing diabetes. Thus, it is not necessary for a child born to diabetic parents to suffer from the disease as well. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult an Endocrinologist.
If you have numbness or tingling sensation in your feet, then you could be suffering from diabetic peripheral neuropathy. It can have an impact on your sleep, mood and overall quality of life. Besides taking the prescribed medications, there are effective ways of dealing with foot pain stemming from high blood sugar as explained below.
- Taking over-the-counter medicines: Medicines such as aspirin, naproxen, acetaminophen and ibuprofen can help to serve mild to moderate pain stemming from diabetic nerve damage. But before taking these medicines, you should consult with an expert since they can raise the risk of heart attack and kidney problems.
- Quit smoking: Smoking may cause the blood vessels to constrict and impair the circulation. This indicates that the peripheral nerves will not get an adequate amount of nutrient-rich blood which can pave the way for more pain.
- Have control over your blood sugar levels: With the passage of time, the excess blood sugar levels can cause damage the peripheral nerves. When you have blood sugar levels within a healthy range, you can substantially reduce your risk of nerve damage. You should eat a lot of fruits and vegetables and low-fat dairy and whole grains.
- Take more Vitamin D: Even though it is hard to get the desired 600 IU of this vitamin from food, you can get it in the form of supplement. A study found that people with diabetic neuropathy can take the supplement once in a week to curb the symptoms of feet pain. Vitamin B complex plays a crucial role in improving nerve health. You should get it in right amounts so that the brain can produce certain chemicals which are required for sending information through the body channels.
- Take Alpha-lipoic acid supplement: The human body has the natural ability to produce little amounts of antioxidants. When you take them in recommended quantities it can regulate the blood sugar levels and ease the pain in the feet and palms. A per a study, people taking more than 600 milligrams of antioxidants on a regular basis experienced 19 percent improvement in the diabetic neuropathy symptoms within 5 weeks.
- Indulge in daily workouts: Regular workout can help you to combat pain in a variety of ways. It can regulate the blood sugar levels and slow down nerve damage. Exercise can surge the flow of blood to the legs and arms and it can also enliven your mood and offer relief from stress.
Note that a nerve damage can lead to loss of sensation in the feet which means that you may not realize any cut or scratch in your feet until much later which could prove fatal. Hence it is essential for you to prevent the loss of sensation. Using the methods suggested above you can deal with the foot pain related to diabetes. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult an Endocrinologist.
Did you know that some carbohydrates can make your blood sugar shoot up faster than others? So, when you eat a lot of these good slower acting carbs, you can potentially control your blood sugar levels. The glycemic index is a handy tool that indicates the slow acting good carbs from the fast bad carbs.
What is glycemic index?
It is a simple number that lets you know how fast your body converts carbohydrates in your food into glucose. Two foods with the same number of carbohydrates can end up having different glycemic index numbers. The bigger the number, the higher impact it has on your blood sugar levels.
- 55 or less is low and good for controlling sugar
- 56-69 is mediocre
- 70 or higher indicates a high number and is not so good
Where to Look for the glycemic index or GI?
Look for the indication on the labels of packaged food. You can also find the glycemic index for common foods on the Internet or ask your dietician for the same. Also, keep in mind that natural foods like fruits and veggies have a lower glycemic index than refined or processed foods.
Benefits of low glycemic diet
If you have diabetes, a diet with low glycemic foods can help you manage your condition better.
- Enhance your cholesterol levels
- Help in weight management
- Reduce risk of heart disease
- Help you stay full for a long time
- Increase your energy levels
- Controls blood sugar spikes
Carbohydrates act as an essential fuel for the body. Instead of limiting all carbs, focus on eating the healthy variants. A glycemic index is a great tool that can quickly help you to identify the good carbs from the bad ones.
Find the right balance
If a food has a high GI, does it mean you should avoid consuming it? Well, not necessarily the glycemic index should not be the prime consideration when making choices about what to eat, you should also consider other nutrients. For example, potato chips have a low GI than oatmeal. Also, the portion size of the food matters. It is good to offset a food high in GI with a food low in GI. If you take a food that has a high glycemic index during the day, be sure to balance it with a food that has a lower glycemic index in the night.
Keep in mind that when you eat a well-balanced meal full of protein, fats and carbohydrates, the digestion of the food that has a high GI slows down and shoots up the blood sugar level. So, it is important to find the right balance. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult an Endocrinologist.
If your blood sugar has shot to the border level, but not quite high enough to be considered as Diabetes, think of it as a blessing. You are given the opportunity to take corrective measures and prevent the onset of diabetes. The ball is still in your court and you can take the right steps to prevent it from evolving to Type 2 Diabetes.
Here are the best ways to prevent:
- Know where do you stand: Find out your blood sugar levels by getting a blood sugar test done. Being older than 45 with a Body Mass Index above 25, puts you at a greater risk, so get your blood sugar checked. Even more pressing reasons to get checked can be high blood pressure or cholesterol or history of diabetes in the immediate family.
- Eat healthy: Food is medicine and what you feed your body, impacts the most on your overall health. Is your diet full of fast food and highly processed foods? Then, its time to change to a well-balanced diet full of wholesome nutrients. Eat regularly scheduled meals with a wide variety of foods in order to avoid extreme blood sugar spikes.
- Bust the stress: Chronic stress tends to suppress your immune system and lead to grave consequences. Since, stress aggravates your blood sugar levels, practice techniques of Yoga and meditation to drive stress away from your life.
- Move your body: When you are at a greater risk of diabetes it is time to act and avoid a sedentary lifestyle. Regular exercise can help you manage your overall health and boost your energy levels. Also, exercise keeps blood sugar levels from spiking after meals and active muscles will use insulin efficiently. Maintain a good fitness regime with 30 minutes of moderate exercise like walking, jogging, aerobics at least 5 days a week and opt for intensive exercises like cardio, weight training or strength training at least twice a week.
- Get quality sleep: Deprivation of sleep derails metabolism. According to studies, people who clock less than 6 hours of sleep are more likely to see their blood sugar climb up into the pre-diabetes territory. A short sleep for a prolonged time can potentially set the stage for high blood sugar.
- Medication: In most cases, simple lifestyle changes like the above will help to prevent type 2 diabetes. But in special cases, you can visit a doctor and he may prescribe certain drugs to keep the glucose production in check.
Prediabetes is a warning sign and a good wakeup call for you. So, wake up and take the right steps for a better tomorrow. If you wish to discuss any specific problem, you can consult an endocrinologist.
Vitamin D is a vitamin that plays a critical role in maintaining the health of your bones, teeth and joints, as well as in assisting immune system function. But taking too much of it can cause Hypervitaminosis D, a rare but serious condition.
Hypervitaminosis D causes an exponential increase in the levels of calcium in your blood. And this can affect your bones, tissues, and other organs. The condition can also cause high blood pressure, bone loss, and severe kidney damage if not treated.
- You get Vitamin D from the foods you eat and by exposure to the sun. Still, there is severe Vitamin D deficiency in people living all over the world, including the tropics like India. These people are prescribed vitamin D supplements, a move which can misfire, causing hypervitaminosis D.
- Hypervitaminosis D occurs usually due to taking high-dose vitamin D supplements. The recommended dose for Vitamin D is 100 microgram per day. Anything over this, for several months, can cause Hypervitaminosis D.
- Some prescription medications used to treat high blood pressure and heart diseases can cause an increase in vitamin D in the blood.
- Oestrogen therapy for post-menopausal women is another cause.
- Taking antacids for a long time increases the risk for getting hypervitaminosis D.
- Isoniazide, an anti-tuberculosis medication, can also lead to elevated levels of vitamin D.
You are more at risk for developing hypervitaminosis D if you take vitamin D supplements and have other health problems, such as:
Vitamin D and Type 2 Diabetes - What is the relation?
- Vitamin D is most known for its role in bone health, but researchers are beginning to uncover its vital role in the function of the pancreas, the organ that secretes insulin.
- Doctors believe there is a link between vitamin D and Type 2 Diabetes as studies have shown that people who have the lowest vitamin D levels in their blood are at an increased risk of developing T2D later in life. Similarly, most newly diagnosed diabetes patients have lower vitamin D levels than people without diabetes.
- Vitamin D is prescribed by doctors in type 2 diabetes to help improve the body’s insulin sensitivity and thus reduce the risk of insulin resistance, which is often a precursor to type 2diabetes.
- Vitamin D helps your body metabolise sugar in your blood as well as it regulates calcium, which also helps manage blood sugar.
- The trick is to not overdo the vitamin D supplementation as it may cause hypervitaminosis D.
Now what makes hypervitaminosis D doubly dangerous is that it can cause raise blood calcium levels. This can lead to a condition called hypercalcemia which means that there is too much calcium in your blood.
The collective symptoms of these two conditions are:
- Loss of appetite
- Excessive thirst
- Weight loss
- Excessive urination
- Dehydration due to water loss
- Irritability, nervousness, confusion
- Ringing in the ear or tinnitus
- Weak muscles
- Nausea, vomiting
- High blood pressure
- Heart arrhythmias
If left untreated hypervitaminosis D can cause:
- Permanent damage to kidneys
- Kidney stones
- Kidney failure
- Excessive bone loss
- Calcification of arteries
So, be very careful while taking vitamin D, especially if you have an existent problem with your kidneys or heart. And don’t overdo the vitamin supplementation if you have diabetes- it can backfire. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult an Endocrinologist.
I have hypothyroidism, taking 50 mg thyrox, I got it 10 years back, I am going to 6 months once check up TSH is 3.2,dr told it's normal, but I am worried I may have chances of getting thyroid cancer? Is it true? I am normal in lifestyle. Weight also normal .59 kgs.
My TSH is 10.5,I am taking 100 mcg thyronorm. Blood sample was collected in the morning before taking thyronorm. My body weight is 90 kg. Why is TSH not in control? Pls advice.
My father is 70 years old with diabetes and single bypass. His average sugar level is within 200. But of late, he is having 350 sugar level with severe constipation. Whatever he eats, he is vomiting and very weak. He is on insulin once daily at night, can the insulin dosage be given twice for couple of days to reduce sugar level. Two, is there any medicine which would immediately give relief from gas and constipation. For the weakness, what kind of ORS can be given to him. Please respond ASAP, this is very urgent. Thanks, Usha.
Thyroid cancer occurs in the cells of the thyroid gland which is found at the base of your neck, just below your Adam's apple. Your thyroid produces important hormones like TSH that regulate your heart rate, blood pressure, body temperature and weight. Thyroid cancer is an uncommon kind of cancer which usually doesn’t cause symptoms in the early stage.
However, symptoms like the following mean that you should see a doctor immediately
- A lump on your neck that can be felt
- Changes in your voice, including an increase in hoarseness
- Difficulty in swallowing
- Pain in the neck and throat
Risk factors and causes
The precise cause of thyroid cancer and the risk factors is still unknown, but research is going on to try to find out more. There are, however, a number of factors that may increase your risk of developing thyroid cancer. These are called risk factors. These are a few common ones:
- Benign or non-cancerous thyroid disease like:
- An enlarged thyroid or goitre
- Thyroid nodules or adenomas
- Inflammation of the thyroid called thyroiditis
- Benign thyroid disease is genetic. You are more at risk of getting thyroid cancer if you have family members with this disease. Your risk is even higher if more than one member of your family is affected.
- Exposure to radiation:
- Any type of radiotherapy to the neck area can increase your risk of developing thyroid cancer years later.
- Exposure to high levels of radiation in the environment can also increase your risk.
- Diabetes - A number of studies are pointing to the fact that diabetes may play a big role in thyroid cancer risk. Research is confirming that there is a very strong role in metabolic syndrome, obesity, and diabetes as precipitating factors in thyroid cancer development. Plausible reasons that may link diabetes to higher thyroid cancer risk include:
- Chronic thyroid-stimulating hormone (TSH) stimulation: Diabetics are susceptible to disruption in thyroid hormone balance, upping cancer risk. Elevated circulating insulin levels in type 2 diabetics with insulin resistance increase risk too. Anti-diabetic medication is linked to thyroid cancer.
- Concomitant increased body mass index (BMI): In diabetics is also associated with increased risk for cancer in general, and thyroid cancer in particular.
- Chronic exposure to glucose: This has been linked recently to increased thyroid cancer risk.
- Elevated prevalence of vitamin D deficiency: The diabetics in animal studies is linked to increased cancer risk.
- Inherited gene: Your risk of developing thyroid cancer goes up if you have inherited an altered gene that causes a bowel condition called familial adenomatous polyposis or FAP. So, you should get yourself tested if anyone in your family has this genetic condition to see if you have the same altered gene.
- Sex: Being female Thyroid cancer is more common in women than men.
- Weight: People who are overweight may have a higher risk of getting thyroid cancer. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult an Endocrinologist.
A Stress test is done by making you do exercises like walking on a treadmill or riding a stationary bike during an Electro Cardiogram or ECG. Sometimes, medication to stimulate your heart is used instead of exercise.
The stress test compares the circulation of blood in the heart when you are resting and when you are under optimum physical pressure. There are various types of stress tests, but the most common of them is the Treadmill Stress Test or TMT.
Why it’s done?
- A stress test is a common test for identifying a heart problem like Coronary Artery Disease or CAD in which the major blood vessels that supply your heart with blood, oxygen and nutrients, also called coronary arteries, get blocked, damaged or diseased.
- It’s also used for determining the condition of your heart after a heart attack.
- TMT utilizes exercise so it helps to show up extreme shortness in breathing, chest discomfort, dizziness and sudden weakness- all of these indicating an underlying heart condition.
- TMT is also used to check the efficiency of the heart medications for diseases like angina and ischemia and to monitor heart function in patients who’ve had an angioplasty or a heart attack earlier.
- It is also to identify an abnormal heart rhythm due to exercise.
CAD and Diabetes
People with diabetes are at high risk of coronary artery disease, as it tends to present late, Diabetics also suffer more silent heart muscle problems like Ischemia. This is why TMT is a lifesaver for diabetics as early detection and intervention can save lives.
- You need to prepare yourself before you take a stress test.
- You must not eat or drink anything but water for four hours before the exercise stress test which includes TMT.
- You should not drink any beverage with caffeine for twelve hours before the test too.
- You must stop all medications for the heart on the day the test is scheduled, unless specifically instructed by your doctor.
- If you are a diabetic, you should ask your doctor how much insulin can you inject on the day of the test, and if you are on pills, be aware that the medication is only to be taken after the completion of the stress test.
- You should wear comfortable clothes and soft walking shoes or sneakers for the TMT.
How is a TMT done?
A nurse or technician will place electrodes on your chest. These are then attached to wires that carry the electrical activity of your heart to the monitor and recorder of the ECG/EKG machine. These leads record different parts of your heart.
- Before you start the test, the EKG will record your heart activity on paper. This is called the Resting EKG.
- Initially, the treadmill is switched on at a rather slow ‘warm-up’ speed and gradually both the incline of the treadmill and the speed is increased every three minutes called stages.
- During TMT your blood pressure is recorded at the second minute in every stage.
- A stress test generally takes up to 90 minutes from beginning to end, but the exercise part of the test takes only 20 minutes.
- If you develop any uneasiness, TMT is stopped before the target heart rate is achieved.
How TMT Works
During the TMT, the healthy arteries in the heart dilate more than the blocked ones. This uneven dilation means that more blood is provided to the heart by the healthy arteries as compared to the blocked ones to their designated areas. This lowered blood flow makes the muscles in those areas thirsty for more blood during the TMT, creating symptoms like chest pain, and/or shortness of breath. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult an Endocrinologist.