Lybrate.com has an excellent community of Gynaecologists in India. You will find Gynaecologists with more than 35 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Gynaecologists online in Delhi and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Management of Abortion
Caesarean Section Procedure
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Termination Of Pregnancy Procedure
Treatment Of Pregnancy Problems
Well Woman Healthcheck
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Treatment Of Medical Diseases In Pregnancy
Treatment Of Menstrual Problems
Intra-Uterine Insemination (IUI) Treatment
Medical Termination Of Pregnancy (Mtp) Procedure
Gynecology Laparoscopy Procedures
Pap Smear Procedure
Submit a review for Dr. GurvinderYour feedback matters!
Doctor, I am feeling pain in my lower abdomen like the same pain just starting the period. I make physical relationship with my husband 4 days after finishing periods. Si this may be the symbols of pregnancy? Please advice.
What to do to Relieve Back Aches during Pregnancy?
Back pain is a common symptom seen during pregnancy. The pain mostly occurs in the lumbar region, the lower region of the spine. About half of the women who are pregnant may suffer from back pain during pregnancy.
Your provider may suggest you various methods and techniques to relieve your back pain. The treatment mainly includes medicines and physiotherapy.
Relieving Back Pain:
Many techniques used to manage back pain are accepted across the world. Treating the cause of pain is considered to be the best method. There are classes that focus on the basic anatomy, biomechanics, correct posture and relaxation methods. If they fail to give the desired results, then you may contact your provider and physical therapist for instructions on the same. Back pain cannot be prevented fully, but you can decrease the frequency and severity of the pain by:
- Practicing good posture: As the trimester advances the centre of gravity shifts forward. This may cause forward falling. Women usually compromise this falling by leaning back. This strains the back muscles. To correct this posture you should stand straight and tall, hold your chest high with shoulders relaxed. Avoid locking of your knees and widen your feet while standing. This prevents forward falling. Always choose a good comfortable chair with pillow while sitting.
- Heat and Cold: Using heat and cold is an effective way to relieve back pain. Start by placing a cold pack (pack of frozen peas) to the pain area for 15 to 20 minutes during the first few days. After 2 or 3 days apply hot packs for the same time. DO NOT apply heat to the abdomen.
- Exercises: Regular exercises not only strengthen the muscles but also boost healing of the strained muscles. The intensity of exercise depends upon your life style before and during pregnancy. Walking, Swimming, and Static Cycling are considered to be the best exercises to relieve back pain during pregnancy.
- Lifting: A proper lifting technique is very important to take care of. Always take care to bend your knees, keeping your back straight to pick up things. Always talk to your provider before lifting any heavy object.
- Counselling: Stress related back pain can always be relieved by talking to a counsellor.
- Acupuncture: Acupuncture not only relieves pain during pregnancy but also helps in curing nausea. It is the safest method of managing back pain during the first two trimesters. Take care about certain points, which may induce labour. Researchers have also shown that acupuncture works far much better than heat, massage or any other form of exercise.
Ideally, you should always talk to your provider before you start any of the treatments.
When to call your Health Care Provider
Back pain usually relieves by itself in the first few days if the above treatment methods are followed with care. Contact your provider in case you suffer from:
- Pain that gets worse in spite of the treatment
- Numbness or tingling in the upper or lower limbs
Should there be a minimum age for the insertion of IUDs? I have learnt that barrier methods are not 100% effective neither the withdrawal methods.
It is extremely important to keep moving during the pregnancy period. Although the exercises and the type of movement keep changing from trimester to trimester, one should not refrain from it. Studies have found that a woman who kept moving during the pregnancy have more energy, reduced back pain and good body image. Women who make this extra effort of working out during the pregnancy can get back to the pre-pregnancy shape faster.
Is exercise during pregnancy safe?
Overall and in most cases, exercise is safe during pregnancy. You will usually find it is even recommended. Typically, the first rule of thumb is if you were physically active before you were pregnant, it is likely safe to remain active during pregnancy. More than likely, your healthcare provider will tell you to remain active, as long as it is comfortable and there are no other health conditions suggesting otherwise.
Here are some of the benefits from exercise during pregnancy you may experience:
- Helps reduce backaches, constipation, bloating, and swelling
- May help prevent, or treat, gestational diabetes
- Increases your energy
- Improves your mood
- Improves your posture
- Promotes muscle tone, strength, and endurance
- Helps you sleep better
Regular activity also helps keep you fit during pregnancy and may improve your ability to cope with labor. This will make it easier for you to get back in shape after your baby is born. It is not necessary to hit the gym every day. All it requires is some confined space and half an hour to forty-five minutes time daily to perform some basic exercises. This being said, it makes sense to consult a medical practitioner before undergoing any exercise regime. Here is a list of five basic exercises which can transform the experience of conceiving a baby:
- Plie: This is a simple exercise that requires standing parallel to a sturdy chair with a parallel fit and hip distant from each other. Keeping the knees and the toes at forty-five degrees, the belly should be pulled in and button up. The knees should be bent, torso lowered keeping the back straight. The legs should be straightened and get back to the initial position. This exercise improves balance, quadriceps, and hamstring.
- Side-lying outer and inner thigh: Lying on the right-hand side of the body and keeping the head supported by the forearm. The right leg should be bent at forty-five degrees while the left leg should be kept straight. The opposite arm should be kept on the floor for stability. The left leg should be lifted at about the height of the hip. The same procedure should be repeated for the other side as well. This exercise makes the inner thighs stronger.
- Plank: The whole body should be supported by knees and hands. Wrists should be under the shoulders. Keeping this position intact, the knees should be lifted, legs should be straightened until the whole body forms a straight line. It should be ensured that the belly do not sag or the back is not arched. The position should be on hold for 1-2 breaths and the steps should be repeated for 5 times. This exercise strengthens the arms, core and the back.
- Curl and Lift: This exercise involves sitting on a chair with a straight back, arms at both the sides and feet firmly grounded. A weight of 5-6 pounds should be there in each hand. With the weight in both the hands, palms should face the body and the elbow should be bent so that the arms are in a perpendicular position. This exercise strengthens the shoulders and the biceps. It also helps to get the balancing right. Consult an expert & get answers to your questions!