Lybrate.com has a number of highly qualified Homeopaths in India. You will find Homeopaths with more than 25 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Homeopaths online in Delhi and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. Deepti
Treatment Of Erectile Dysfunction
Skin Care Treatment
Treatment of Migraine Treatment
Treatment of Neurological Problems
Weight Management Treatment
Piles Treatment (Non Surgical)
Sexually Transmitted Disease (Std) Treatment
Cysts Removal Procedure
Treatment Of Pregnancy Problems
Well Woman Healthcheck
Thyroid Problems Treatment
Corn Removal Procedure
Submit a review for Dr. DeeptiYour feedback matters!
I had sex on 30 April and take ipill in 4 hours its 10th day after my periods now it's 24 July still periods not come I have done UPT its negative. Is there still any chance of pregnancy please help?
Calcium is an essential mineral in our diet, and makes up roughly 2% of an adult’s body weight. It is a critical aspect of our bone growth, development and maintenance throughout our entire lives, which is why a deficiency of this mineral is such a serious problem. Fortunately, there are many different calcium supplements on the market to ensure that we get the recommended amount of calcium that our body needs to function and support itself properly.
What are calcium supplements?
- Calcium supplements are ways to get your daily recommended amount of calcium up to its proper levels – roughly 1, 000-1, 200 milligrams per day for men and women. These calcium supplements are tablets or pills with concentrated levels of calcium, and tend to come in two forms: calcium carbonate and calcium citrate.
- Calcium carbonate is the more concentratedof the two, with each pill composed of roughly 40% calcium, but it requires stomach acid to be dissolved and absorbed by the body. Therefore, these pills need to be eaten with your meals.
- Calcium citrate is weaker, providing only 20% calcium in each pill, but they can be taken on an empty stomach, as they do not require stomach acid to be dissolved. Elderly patients suffering from calcium deficiency more commonly use calcium citrate, as stomach acid production slows down as we age.
- Since calcium can only be absorbed and used in small amounts by the body, most calcium supplements range from 150-500 milligrams and are taken 1-2 times per day, depending on how poor your calcium levels are, and how much calcium your typical diet includes. Many supplements also include other minerals in which people are commonly deficient, such as magnesium and vitamin d.
- Speak with your doctor about which of the following calcium supplements may be best for you.
List of calcium supplements:
1. Calcium carbonate
Tums 500os-cal 500caltrate 600viactiv calcium chewsgnc calcium complete
2. Calcium citrate
Cluebonnet calcium citrate magnesium and vitamin d3rainbow light mini-tabletsswanson calcium citrate and vitamin dsolgar calcium citratetwinlab calcium citrate caps
Why do you need calcium?
As mentioned earlier, calcium is required by the body for bone mineral density, and a deficiency in this mineral will increase the risk of osteoporosis, as well as osteopenia. Some of the common symptoms of calcium deficiency include fainting, muscle weakness, psoriasis, brittle nails, tooth decay, seizures, itching, problems swallowing and numbness in the fingers and toes.
Aside from bone strength and durability, calcium is also needed by the body for proper nerve communication and function, as well as for the contraction of muscles throughout the body. Calcium plays a role in protecting cardiac muscle, controlling blood pressure, strengthening the teeth and gums, transporting nutrients throughout the body and keeping the ph balance of the body in line.
Clearly, deficiencies in this important mineral must be taken seriously, due to their comprehensive effects on health.
Food sources of calcium
While supplements are always available to increase your daily intake of calcium, there are also many calcium-rich foods that are easy to incorporate into your daily diet.
Kaleyogurtcheesebok choysardineskefirwatercressfigsclamsgreen beanssesame seeds oranges almonds
￼Benefits of calcium supplements
Calcium supplements can be very effective for improving bone strength, particularly as you age, after a major injury, illness or surgery, or if you are already at high risk for osteoporosis (due to contributing health factors). These supplements can also help in the prevention of arthritis and to help maintain your weight. Furthermore, since so many calcium supplements include magnesium, vitamin d and other commonly deficient vitamins, use of these nutritional supplements can help your body in many other ways too!
Side effects of calcium supplements
The regular use of calcium supplements can have certain negative side effects, such as constipation, excess gas, nausea, irregular heartbeat, muscle pain, dry mouth, headaches or dizziness. These are mainly experienced when you suffer from hypercalcemia, which means your body is taking in too much calcium. When calcium is taken in large concentrations, the body is unable to process all of it at once, so it could begin depositing it in the wrong places.
This sort of excessive calcium in the body can lead to problems with the kidneys, muscles, stomach, bones and even the brain, causing irritability and even depression. If you experience ongoing symptoms of sore muscles and joints, pain in your back and spine, decreased appetite or excessive urination, you are likely suffering from too much calcium.
Speak to your doctor or nutritionist before adding calcium supplements to your daily intake; if your diet already accounts for the daily recommended amount of calcium, there is no need to take supplements.
Things to consider while taking calcium supplements
Before you choose to take calcium supplements, there are a few things to consider, namely your age, diet, pre-existing medical conditions and prescribed medications.
1. Age: depending on how old you are, as well as your gender, you may require more or less calcium. Women under 50 and men under 70 only require 1, 000 milligrams a day, where as women over 50 and men over 70 require approximately 1, 200 milligrams per day. As your age changes, if your diet doesn’t, you may want to consider supplementing with calcium to keep your bones strong.
2. Diet: while there are many different foods that can deliver calcium, certain dietary choices and styles may inherently keep your calcium content low. Vegans tend to lack calcium, as they don’t include dairy products in their diet, which is a great and consistent source of calcium. Furthermore, people who consume foods that are high in protein or sodium tend to lose more calcium through urination, which can lead to osteoporosis, even if your intake of calcium seems acceptable.
3. Medical conditions: certain diseases and conditions demand more calcium from the body, prevent calcium absorption, or cause excessive calcium loss. If you have suffer from chronic inflammation, crohn’s disease or celiac disease, the condition may be preventing calcium absorption in the gut, and calcium supplements may be a good thing. However, if you are at high risk for kidney stones or prostate cancer, high levels of calcium could heighten that risk.
4. Medications: the use of corticosteroids is quite common for chronic disease, and this can lower the body’s ability to absorb calcium. Furthermore, if you are taking antibiotics, it can interfere with how your body takes in calcium, so supplements may be required.
5. Other mineral deficiencies: some of the body’s receptors for nutrients are shared, so calcium, iron and zinc are often in competition in the gut to be absorbed and used. If you have other mineral deficiencies, it may be wise to space out your supplements, rather than taking them all at once, so that your body can properly process each of them.
I am suffering from body fat now. I was 86 kg weight 3 months before and I feel conscious about my body getting fat and stop eating food whenever I get hungry I drink hot water and after one month of that my weight came down to 73 kg and I feel my body weight is normal and start eating as before and now my weight is going up slightly and body fat is too high and my belly. Please suggest a way to make my body fit. Please.
Sir, My son is 14 months old and is under weight, he born on 29 june'14 with the weight of 2.40 kilograms and within an years his weight is approx 8.50 kilograms. Today he got a fever due to fickle weather suddenly a concerned doctor expressed his apprehension towards his head size and asked to measure it in inches from amid fore head to rear portion before neck. We measured the head with tape and got s reading of 18 inches and 3 cm's. Concerned doctor did not gave us a reason behind whereas our family doctor is different and he never showed any anxiety towards above recited things. My son behave always normal infect he is a very charming boy Kindly suggest suitable advise.
My skin is dry and combination fair skin. I use himalaya facewash which dries out my skin. So please recommend me facewash.
I have hair fall problem there is more hair fall. I am using livon hai gain since 1 year but doesn't show any improvement in hair fall please tell me.
Sir I have some problem for my teeth. I have put steel in my teeth now 3 years have finished but now no tighting. Please advise.
How to reduce Buttocks & thighs size by foods. Because my Buttocks r too big please doctor give some tips instantly reduce my Buttocks & Thighs.
Lybrate | Dr. Anand Kumar Gupta speaks on IMPORTANCE OF TREATING ACNE EARLY