Lybrate.com has an excellent community of Gynaecologists in India. You will find Gynaecologists with more than 36 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Gynaecologists online in Delhi and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. Deepti
Management of Abortion
Caesarean Section Procedure
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Termination Of Pregnancy Procedure
Treatment Of Pregnancy Problems
Well Woman Healthcheck
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Treatment Of Medical Diseases In Pregnancy
Treatment Of Menstrual Problems
Intra-Uterine Insemination (IUI) Treatment
Medical Termination Of Pregnancy (Mtp) Procedure
Gynecology Laparoscopy Procedures
Pap Smear Procedure
Submit a review for Dr. DeeptiYour feedback matters!
Female infertility is considered as the inability of conceiving. As per WHO it is described as the inability to be pregnant, maintain and carry forward a pregnancy to its full term. It is often of two types:
- Primary Infertility: This is the inability to give birth to a baby either due to the inability to become pregnant or maintain a pregnancy, which includes stillborn and miscarriage.
- Secondary Infertility: This refers to the inability to give birth when there is already a live birth or the woman was pregnant.
The causes of infertility can vary from being acquired or genetic. However, following factors are largely responsible for infertility:
- Genetic: Some genes can lead to mutation leading to infertility like, in case of BMP15 gene there is a hypergonadotrophic ovarian failure which causes infertility.
- Acquired: This is caused by factors like age, smoking, sexually transmitted diseases, obesity, body weight, eating disorders, diseases like diabetes, thrombophilia and also radiation and chemotherapy.
The treatment for infertility usually depends on the cause, age, duration of time for which a person has been infertile and preference of the patient. Infertility is believed to be a complex disorder and the treatment involves a huge amount of physical, financial and psychological commitments. All this also requires a lot of time. Some women might need just a minimum of two therapies to attain fertility while others might require different treatment before they can conceive.
Fertility Restoration through medication
This is the main treatment for women who are infertile because of ovulation disorders. These drugs include:
- Gonadotropins: These are injected to stimulate the ovaries. Drugs like Menopur, Repronex, Follistim AQ, Gonal-F, Bravelle restore the production of eggs, while Ovidrel and Pregnyl are used for maturing the eggs and for their release.
- Clomiphene citrate: This is taken orally and stimulates ovulation by releasing more Follicle Stimulating Hormone and Luteinizing Hormone from the pituitary gland.
- Metformin: This is used in females who have PCOS and also when insulin resistance plays a major role in infertility.
- Bromocriptine: Used when the infertility is caused due to excess prolactin production.
- Letrozole: This also induces ovulation
Fertility Restoration through surgery
Surgical procedures can amend the problem of infertility. However, these treatments are very rare these days owing to the success of other fertility treatments. These include:
- Tubal ligation reversal surgery: In case a tubal ligation has been performed it can be reversed by reconnecting the tubes again through surgery.
- Hysteroscopic surgery: This corrects or removes the abnormalities that cause infertility. This surgery can correct the shape of the uterus, remove endometrial polyps and improve chance of getting pregnant.
- Tubal surgeries: In case of blocked fallopian tubes laproscopic surgery can be performed to dilate the tubes, removed blockages or create a new opening.
Assistance in Reproduction through techniques
The most common used techniques for reproduction assistance are:
- Intrauterine insemination or IUI: In this about million healthy sperms are put in the uterus at the time of ovulation.
- Assisted reproductive technology: In this mature eggs are retrieved from a woman and this is then fertilized with sperms in a dish in the lab. Once the fertilization is done the embryo is placed in the uterus for further development. IVF is the most common and effective assisted reproductive technology. This procedure takes place over weeks with several blood tests and hormone injections.
Dealing with infertility is not easy and can be emotionally and physically draining. To cope with the various tests and treatments of infertility one should be fully prepared, eat a healthy diet, exercise reach out for help and support of family and friends and look for other options like a donor egg, adoption or no children.
If you wish to discuss any other problem, Consult an IVF Specialist.
I am diagnosed with mild pcod changes in ovary. Ovary size RT OVARY-2.5x3.1 cm LT OVARY-3.1x3.2 cm Is it too serious? I have just 8-10 cysts and my prolactin and thyroid tests are normal. I am not obese. The only symptom I have is acne. I get more than 10 periods a year. I miss periods during exam time due to stress.
Hello, I need a second opinion. Please help me. I have an issue regarding pregnancy. I actually had intercourse on 9th October, 2018. And my period is due on 20th October and I did’t get my periods. I don’t have any symptoms like nausea or constipation but I do have slight cramps in my stomach. I also took a pregnancy test that showed negative result.
Hello doctor, I want to know about., What are the causes and reasons for infertility? Even first abortion leads to infertility is it true.
Hi Doctor, I am 29 years old female, trying to get pregnant. On 10th day of my menses, I have undergone a follicular study. My cycle is 27-30 days, previous cycle was on 28th day. Right ovary - Nil, left ovary-16*18 mm EM-8 mm, free fluid -nil. Uterus is anteverted with 7.1*3.1*3.7 cm. Right ovary - 3.1*2.4*2.6 cm left ovary-3.1*2.3*2.6 cm. Is this report normal? I am asked to come alternative days. I am trying to conceive, apart from that abdomen and pelvis study came normal. Finished folic acid tablet for a month, currently taking daily 2 fertiglow tablets. Pls help!
1. If you are going to take herbs, see a practitioner formally trained in botanical medicine.
2. Buy herbal remedies from trusted and reliable sources.
3. Avoid herbs in which the purity and quality are suspicious,especially imported herbs.
4. Most herbs, like drugs, should be avoided during pregnancy and lactation and should not be given to small children.
6. Start with low dosages and beware of the dosages: two pills from the same bottle may have completely different strengths.
7. To avoid possible chronic effects, do not use herbal remedies for long periods.
8. If you are unwell, discontinue use immediately and seek medical advice.