Lybrate.com has an excellent community of Veterinarians in India. You will find Veterinarians with more than 26 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Veterinarians online in Delhi and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Treatments For Birds
Neurosurgery In Dogs And Cats
Services For Birds
Treatment For Reptiles
Veterinary Dental Prophylaxis
Veterinary Surgery Soft Tissue
Submit a review for Dr. DeepalakshmiYour feedback matters!
Is there any antiviral medicine for canine distemper? Please tell me. If it works 50% also then tell me.
If the stray dog is suspected to be rabid, then the pet dog should be put to sleep (Euthanasia). But if the owner is not ready or the rabid status of the stray dog is not known, post?exposure vaccination of the pet with cell culture vaccine and simultaneous careful observation of the pet are recommended for up to 2 months (up to six months is desirable) for possible signs of rabies in the pet. During this period, if the dog becomes sick, the owner should take the dog to the veterinarian to get rabies ruled out at the first instance. It should be noted that post?exposure vaccination is not very successful in dogs. Simultaneously, pre?exposure vaccination of all household members is necessary.
Here I want to know about my dog. Whenever it eat chicken he get constipated pl help or suggest some medicine.
Yesterday my dog attacked a dirty pig and i think my st. Bernard had broken pigs one leg and eaten. Consult me if it is dangerous for my pet or not?
We have a Cockerspanal & Dashhund mixed breed, 2 years male, Very active. The problem is he does not eat much. We give him Chicken/Mutton mixed with rice in the Morning and Night. Morning and Evening glass of milk. Pedigree is all the time kept in the bowl. The problem is eats only Chicken/Mutton and does not eat rice. He does not eat Egg or anything else. We have given him deworming tablet recently and we give him every 3 months. Pl. Let us know whether this is okay or what else can be tried. He has got some small tick in the body although we have treated him for tick. Please Advice.
Depression in humans is well-known and well-documented, but depression in dogs is less known and studies have not been extended up to a deep level till now. As we say dogs are better known as "humans", it is natural for them to feel low and depressed at times. Some of the dog owners must have noticed that all of a sudden their dogs start acting in a way which is very unlike them. Sometimes, they find places to hide constantly or are spotted to be sleeping all day long.
The reasons for such depression are more or less the same in every species and can be interpreted as the following:
- Abusing: Just like humans, dogs get psychologically affected by the way their owner treats them. If you abuse your dog in a way in which it was not raised up, it is sure that your dog will slip into depression and in a few cases, might display some signs of aggression too.
- Critical depression: Critical depression occurs due to some changes in the dog's body. Chemical imbalances may provoke certain behaviors; one of them could be depression. In such situations, it is recommended to take your dog to a Veterinarian in order to seek professional help.
- Grief: If your dog's companion or its known faces drift away, it affects the dog’s behavior massively and may result into depression. This is because with time, the dogs develop strong emotional bonds and it gets hard for them to handle themselves in their absence.
- Aging: Aging is another reason behind your dog's depression. It is very simple to know and understand too that your dog will not be as energetic as it was in its young days. Also, sometimes sensing that their lifespan is about to end may lead them into depression.
How To Deal With It?
By being compassionate, as most of the times your dog may feel depressed because of the treatment you offer to it. They always want to be loved and adored by their owners and this cures everything unnatural happening with them. Try to play with them whenever you come back home, feed them gently, run your fingers through their fur and be extra attentive. All of these will enlighten their mood. Alternatively, you may try out other methods like going out for a walk twice a day, let it socialize with others in the park, let it feel loved more than anything.
For critical depression and grief, it is better to take recommendation from a Veterinarian. Try being patient with your dog about everything. Not all dogs recover rapidly. Hence, before snapping at it again, give it some time and don't pressurize it for anything that comes from its master affects it the deepest. For more comfort, you may bring a new pet which would be its companion for the entire day. Be cautious about the situation and selection. Sometimes they become envious due to such occurrences. Make sure they both get along well.
Osteoarthritis is related with genetic predisposition, inherited problems or defects in bones & joints. This painful condition often requires veterinary pain killers, supplements which protects bones and joints, scientific measures like controlled exercise, swimming & physiotherapy under the veterinary medical supervision. As pollution related features can bring such disorders causing free radical damage, this problem can be managed and a quality living for the pets can be provided with the application of advanced medicines like glucosamine, chondroitin sulphate, MSM, micronutrients ete. Many commercial diets are available which can nourish pets skeletal system effectively and a good plane of nutrition can guard a pet from gaining extra body weight which aggravates osteoarthritis. A perfect dietary and lifestyle management therefore is highly essential for combating such painful disorders. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a Veterinarian.
Dear Sir, my 4 n years Old Lahaspho male dog has a problem by birth In its both of back legs (slightly bend legs). But it can walk n run well. Now I consulted a my regular doctor for mating, he said my dog legs were weak and it can't mate a dog. Am so upset seeking for a solution. Is there any alternative options to strengthen my dog's legs. Kindly help me.
It is fairly easy to keep your dog’s teeth and gums healthy provided that you regularly take care of your pet and go for frequent health check-ups. Moreover, conducting regular checks at your home will also go a long way in identifying a problem in its nascent stage.
Here are five tips to ensure that your dog’s dental health remains perfect.
1) Prevent tooth decay - If your dog frequently consumes plaque-forming food products, it can lead to subsequent build up on its teeth and ultimately lead to certain problems such as tooth loss, gingivitis and receding gums. Ensure that you clean your dog’s teeth on a daily basis in order to avoid any form of tooth decay.
2) Check your dog’s breath - Although dog breath is usually not pleasant; if your dog smells unusually foul, you should get a check-up done. Moreover, observe if this foul breath is coupled with other issues such as vomiting, excessive urinating or sudden loss of appetite.
3) Encourage your dog to play with chew toys - Chew toys assist in providing stronger teeth to your pet, while giving a perfect massage for its gums. In addition, continuous chomping helps remove soft tartar and thus keeps teeth clean. Nylon, rubber and rawhide chew toys are the safest for your dog.
4) Identify signs of oral disease - A number of oral diseases can be prevented or controlled if they are diagnosed at an early stage. Major symptoms of almost all oral diseases are loose teeth, swollen gums, foul breath, excessive drooling, tumours in the gums and cysts under the tongue.
5) Carefully examine your dog’s teeth and gums - Healthy gums of a dog are indicated by the fact that they are pink in colour and have no signs of swelling. As for the teeth, they should not have any traces of tartar. Carry out this teeth and gum examination each week by lifting your dog’s lips and observing carefully.
If you would like to consult with me privately, please click on 'Consult'.
From Lybrate: If you found this tip useful, please thank the doctor by clicking on the heart icon below. Also, spread good health by sharing this tip with your loved ones over WhatsApp, Facebook and other media.
Hi doctors. My dog is 4 years labrador. There are some areas on his body where are few hairs left. With some redness. I am now using wokazole lotion. Please give some advice.
I have this puppy with me from last 10-12 days. I adopted him. He's active and eats regularly. Pedigree twice or thrice a day and rest home food like chapati ,rice, biscuits,breads etc. He got 2 months old today, he's stomach is showing growth, but his neck and face are still the same they were on the day I brought him.
Can I give benadryl to my labrador 40 day puppy. She is having itching problem And from one part her hair has also fallen due to itching.
I want to know about 15 months German Shepherd feed and the health problems which may cause. Thank you.
Hi doctor, I have a german shepherd of one and half year old. It is so agressive and barks a lot. We have received complaint from our neighbour regarding this. I just wanted to know is there any injection for dogs to reduce the aggressiveness and not to bark a lot. because I have heard there is a injection for dogs to become calm.
My cat had hurt himself. Its limping and just keeping down one leg. Wound is little bit started bleeding now. What do I do? Can I apply betadine ointment and what if he licks it off?
Now a days my 4 months labrador is feeling weakness in his back legs and when he stood up he feel ache. Suggest remedy. His all vaccination is done and he eats everything.
My dog is 16 year old yesterday he wake up in the evening his neck is tilted and silva comes out from his mouth frequently. Now doctors says its a paralysis attack. So they gave him some injections and ib drip. Of glucose and saline but the condition is still same he is not able to sleep, eat and walk he trying to walk but goes down after 4 -5 steps. Please advise something so he can recover fast.
Any change in normal behavior suggesting either undue aggression or depression.
Running aimlessly and attacking others without provocation.
Becomes too drowsy and withdraws to a corner.
Change in voice/bark.
Refusal to feed or eating objects like stone, paper, wood, metal pieces etc.