Lybrate.com has a nexus of the most experienced Dentists in India. You will find Dentists with more than 31 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Dentists online in Delhi and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Root Canal Treatment
Teeth Cleaning Procedure
Teeth Whitening Procedure
Chronic Skin Allergy Treatment
Tooth Extraction Procedure
Dental Extractions Procedure
Skin Rash Treatment
Gap Closing (Dental) Treatment
Artificial Teeth Treatment
Treatment of Root Canal Treatment (RCT)
Wisdom Tooth Removal Procedure
Teeth Scaling & Polishing
Braces Treatment for Adults and Teens
Teeth Cleaning (Scaling) Procedure
Submit a review for Dr. Deeksha Setia SethiYour feedback matters!
Hyperdontia is a peculiar and quite rare dental problem which involves the growth of excess number of teeth. It can appear during birth and last till the primary teeth fall out to be replaced by the permanent set of teeth, or appear with the rise of the permanent teeth. If a person shows a tendency to grow more than 20 temporary teeth or more than 32 permanent teeth, he or she suffers from hyperdontia.
Where do the additional teeth occur?
The additional teeth or supernumerary teeth can appear anywhere inside the mouth or dental arch, but the most common ones are called wisdom teeth and they grow as anterior molars after a certain age. Extra teeth in new born infants are called natal teeth. Occurrence of more than 4-6 supernumerary teeth is rare, although there have been known cases of more than 30 supernumerary teeth.
Why does hyperdontia occur?
1. Hyperdontia often occurs in association with a few select disorders like cleidocranial dysplasia, Ehler - Danlos syndrome, Gardner syndrome, and cleft lip and palate.
2. Although the exact cause of hyperdontia has not yet been discovered, some studies have shown that it might be a result of over activity of dental lamina during the phase of tooth development in infancy.
3. It could also possibly be due to genetic or environmental factors.
What problems does it pose and how can hyperdontia be corrected?
1. The existence of extra teeth often causes problems in speaking.
2. It may also cause deformation in the mouth region, and impediments in a lot of other functional activities like eating.
3. In rare cases, the extra tooth/teeth may be agents of tumors or cysts.
4. Therefore, treatment must be swiftly undertaken so as to remove the extra teeth and prevent rise of further teeth in the same spot.
5. Sometimes, hyperdontia also leads to overcrowding and misshapen rows of teeth; this can also be corrected with extensive procedures.
Dentures are prosthetic devices and their purpose is to replace missing teeth. Dentures are basically false teeth, which are supported by the tissues of the oral cavity. Most dentures are removable, while some are permanently fixed. Dentures are widely used by people all over the world, who have missing teeth.
Here are the ways in which dentures can improve a person's life:
- Speaking becomes clearer: Missing teeth make it difficult for a person to speak clearly. Using dentures will fix this problem and you will be able to speak clearly and properly as dentures take place of the natural teeth. It takes some time to get adjusted to dentures and many people practice pronunciation of difficult words in front of the mirror after getting dentures fitted in their mouth.
- You can eat normally again: Missing teeth cause difficulty in eating and you are unable to eat many of your favorite dishes, which require strong teeth. After getting a denture fitted, you can get back to eating all sorts of foods again and biting or chewing won't be difficult anymore. This too takes some time to adjust and in the beginning, you should eat soft foods by cutting them into small pieces. You should abstain from having chewing gums or hard food initially.
- Your self esteem gets improved: Losing teeth makes you look bad and many people feel embarrassed or ashamed because of missing teeth. A denture is a perfect remedy for this. After getting dentures, your teeth will be back and will look and feel natural. There is usually no worry about the dentures falling off or slipping out as they are fitted properly in the gums. You will look good, and the lost confidence will be back.
- You will have improved oral health: Missing teeth cause health problems, such as bone loss in the jaw area. To avoid this from happening, dentures should be used. These teeth implants will replace your old teeth, and bone loss will be prevented.
- You will appear younger: Missing teeth alter the structure of your face. Wrinkles might appear or the face may seem to look collapsed, then dentures can effectively support the structure of your face and make it appear to be more youthful with added fullness.
Dentures improve the quality of a person's life greatly with missing teeth. They should be taken care of properly, cleaned regularly and you should have regular dentist appointments to ensure a proper fit of the denture. If you wish to discuss about any specific dental problem, you can consult a specilized dentist and ask a free question.
My son is 3 years 7 months, his last tooth is paining him alot, is there any medicine to relief the pain.
My tongue is look white colour .how to care tongue for look nit and clean. I look feel pain while I wash my tongue. So tell me.
I am trouble to mouth ulcers after 2 days and ulcers in mouth back side area I am not speak and eating proper bcoz it's very painful.
One of my teeth has become rotten. I suffer from toothache once a week. Should I uproot the particular tooth or refill it with something.
I am 25 years old have a sensitive tooth for the last two months. I have a slightly yellow coloured tooth after an injury in my childhood. In these many years now it is responding to hot or cold items. Please give me suggestions.
I am having yellow teeth with yellowish plague/tartar deposit. I got to know about scaling from internet. Is there a side effect with it regarding sensitivity to hot and cold temperature. If yes, then for many days? I do not drink or smoke.
Hi I'm 23 old guy and my gums bleed wen I brush n I feel tat I hv gaps between them coz it used to perfect n strong but it's no longer there. Could u plzzz suggest wat would be the best option.
Implants can last up to 20 years if high quality solutions are purchased. This is much longer than standard dentures are able to last for. If you choose dentures, you may be forced to visit the dentist again and again to have your dentures renewed. If you do not look after your dentures properly, they can degrade quickly and become unusable.
Unlike dentures, dental implants sit in a fixed position in your mouth. Because they are often not permanent, dentures can rock or shift in position. This can make eating less comfortable, especially if you want to eat something which is crunchy or harder. Because they may be unstable, it can put unnatural and uneven pressures on some areas of your mouth. However, this is much less of a problem with dental implants, as they are fixed in position. Because they are fixed, you also don't have to worry about them falling out when talking or eating, which means that you can avoid some embarrassing situations.
Dental implants are often fitted with comfort in mind. Rather than transferring the force of chewing to your gums, as some dentures can do, implants transfer the force of chewing to your jaw bone. Natural teeth transfer the force to your jaw as well, so this is the most comfortable solution. Food is also much less likely to get trapped under these implants, due to the way that they are fitted into your jaw. This contrasts with removable dentures, which food often gets stuck underneath.
Wearing dentures can worsen receding gums and speed up the degradation of your jaw bone. Both of these things can lead to more serious health issues. On the other hand, dental implants reduce stress on your gums, so long as you maintain an appropriate oral healthcare routine. Scientists all believe that implants encourage bone stimulation and reduce bone decay in your jaw.
Many people who wear cheap dentures feel unconfident, especially talking or eating. This means that they often have a reduced quality of life, because they do not socialise as much as they would like to, or they do not visit the restaurants that they would like to visit. Good quality implants can give people the confidence to continue to live in the way that they want to live. By choosing implants rather than dentures, you are opening yourself up to a range of different possibilities.