Lybrate.com has top trusted Ayurvedas from across India. You will find Ayurvedas with more than 27 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Ayurvedas online in Delhi and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. Chabbra
Treatment Of Erectile Dysfunction
Treatment Of Male Sexual Problems
Skin Care Treatment
Treatment of Migraine Treatment
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Piles Treatment (Non Surgical)
Sexually Transmitted Disease (Std) Treatment
Cysts Removal Procedure
Chronic Skin Allergy Treatment
Treatment Of Pregnancy Problems
Submit a review for Dr. ChabbraYour feedback matters!
What will be the best practices to have cholesterol free health. What all foods need to avoid for this.
Can diabetics eat fruits? This was one of the most frequently asked questions. Today the question is what foods are good for diabetics as research has put our worries about fruits raising blood sugar permanently to rest. So, what are the best fruits to eat if you are a diabetic?
As a diabetic you should eat fruits that are relatively low carb, have a relatively low Glycemic number and are relatively high in fibre. Let’s explore this in detail now.
- Low glycemic index fruits are best: This means apples, citrus fruits and berries are best for you. These fruits lower the rate of production of insulin in your body which means they have a low glycemic index. They are also low- carb foods, which means they are not converted into the dreaded sugars on metabolization and cause a sugar spike.
- Berries: They are the best fruits for diabetics. They are low in carbohydrates and have a low glycemic index of 20 – 45 GI. They are also exceptionally high in fibre which prevents the high sugar surge. In berries also raspberries and blackberries have fewer carbs and a lower glycemic index than blueberries.
- Stone fruits: Stone fruits are fruits that have a single large seed or “stone” in the middle with a sweet fleshy outer layer. Some of the common ones include cherries, peaches, plums, and apricots.
- Almonds: Almond, a dry fruit is also a superstar in the diabetic diet.
Which fruits should be avoided?
- Bananas are high in carbs and have an average glycemic index of 55 which can be much higher with super sweet bananas. So, eat only twice a week and stick to smaller-sized bananas.
- Cantaloupe, watermelon, and pineapple are examples of fruits that are very high in carbohydrates so you must eat them only occasionally.
- Fruit juices are high in sugar with a high glycemic index and they have no fibre. So, even a small quantity of juice can play haywire with your blood sugar levels. Plus, when you drink a fruit juice, you miss out on the many nutrients you’d imbibe in the actual whole fruit.
- Dry fruits are concentrates of sugar and should, therefore, be avoided by diabetics.
What is even better is that fruit is a natural blood thinner. So, eating more fruit may prevent cardiovascular problems in both diabetics and non-diabetics. Remember to eat fruit earlier in the day as this will prevent a sugar spike as a diabetic. Also, mind your portion size. It is also best to have fruit as a meal with your meat and veggies, rather than as a standalone portion. This prevents sugar spikes. Most recent studies are also confirming that a diet high in fruit can work best for reversing type 2 diabetes, while also taking care of high blood pressure and a fatty liver. In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!