Lybrate.com has an excellent community of General Physicians in India. You will find General Physicians with more than 31 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find General Physicians online in Delhi and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. C R
Treatment of Migraine Treatment
Weight Management Treatment
Removal Of Stitches Procedure
Thyroid Problems Treatment
Dressings Of Wounds Procedure
Prevention of Blockage, Atherosclerosis & Heart At
Hiv Prophylaxis Post Exposure
Viral Fever Treatment
Thyroid Disorder Treatment
Stitching Of Wounds Procedure
Submit a review for Dr. C RYour feedback matters!
Almost every person salivates over desserts and sweets. One does not need a special occasion to get their sweet tooth going. While the lip smacking sugary delight might impress the taste buds, it is sure to affect the health in a big way. If you thought that sugar was only bad for your waistline and general health, then you need to know that it is equally harmful for your skin. In fact, it can lead to serious dermatological conditions.
Harmful effects of sugar on the skin
A lot of what we eat reflects on our body externally. A number of internal changes can influence the external appearance of the body. Excessive intake of carbohydrates, starch and sugar can have an adverse effect on the skin. It can also accelerate the ageing process. But what triggers these complications needs to be understood and discussed in detail.
Carbohydrates can be simple or complex. Simple carbohydrates (cake, bread; to name a few) break down and convert to glucose rapidly. Increased glucose level implies increased insulin level, and causes inflammation, which affects the whole body. The enzymes produced during inflammation breaks down important proteins, namely elastin and collagen, leading to wrinkles and saggy skin.
Acne problems mainly arise from Glycation (the process through which digested sugar attaches permanently to the collagen). Glycation plays a significant role in accelerating the ageing process.
Complex carbohydrates, on the other hand, is good for health. When ingested, complex carbohydrates break down at a much slower rate. As a result, there is no abnormal increase in the insulin level.
Corrective measures to check the harmful effects of sugar on the skin:
With a little care and preventive measures, the deleterious effects of sugar on the skin can be minimised.
- Supplement your diet with foods rich in antioxidants. Lean proteins, fibrous foods and diets rich in good fats are highly recommended. Include beans and nuts that have low glycemic value in your diet. Drink plenty of water.
- Food items containing high amount of saturated fats (cheese, ice creams, fried foods; to name a few), and with high glycemic value should be strictly avoided.
- Do not compromise with your sleep. A sound sleep and a stress-free life is the mantra to a glowing and youthful skin.
- Practice meditation and yoga diligently. The rewarding and positive outcomes will leave you in awe.
- Do not skip your meals or indulge in overeating. Have small servings at regular intervals.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
I am 30 year old I m suffering from fever since 7 days. I investigated all test all are normal. What I do.
My friend is having a problem with his sex life. He can't have sex these days coz he don't feel any thing. His pennis erection is not so firm and he loose his fluid at the erection time by drops. Is this a serious problem? Can it be cured?
I want to enlarge my penis within 2 months and also want to make it thick which food or oil I shall use. And which pills I need to use which have no side effects. Pls help me doctor.
Is every type of breakfast is OK for health as I am living in hostel and they used to give oily food more.
I am unable to sleep. I sleep very less. What I must do to get sleep I am having very much problems. What I must do can you tell me?
I had lump on 6th of Aug Upto negative on 16 Sept Usg reveals left ovarian hypoechoic cyst measuring about 5 cm with increased endometrial thickness Dr. prescribed duphaston for three days And advice to repeat upto after few days Is it a pregnancy or a delayed period because of ovarian cyst.
1.The best way to prevent sunburn is to avoid or at least minimize long exposure to sun. Cover your body with full sleeve shirts and full length pants, wear hat.
2. Do not go out in the afternoons. Keep an eye on the clock. Avoid exposing yourself to sun between 10 am to 4 pm.
3. Apply sun screen lotions regularly for every 3 hours.
4. Massage your skin with soothing lotions to relive skin from pain and inflammation.
5. Drink lot of water and fluids. Hydrate your body to remove excess heat.
6. Frequently damp your body with wet cloth.
7. Avoid medications which increase sensitivity to the sun.
8. Avoid smoking and consuming excess of caffeine, alcohol
9. Use mild soaps to clean blisters, wounds. Chemicals in soap may dry the skin, increase irritation making the condition even worse.