Lybrate.com has top trusted Gastroenterologists from across India. You will find Gastroenterologists with more than 28 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Gastroenterologists online in Delhi and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. Basant Mahadevappa
Submit a review for Dr. Basant MahadevappaYour feedback matters!
I have a stomach issue. During morning it does not get clear in one time. I need to go to toilet before breakfast and immediately after having breakfast and tea. After that its fine for the day. But regularly I have gas sometimes. This all had started after I had a upset stomach due to consuming expired mango slice drink. I had to be hospitalized due to severe loos emotions. This was 8-9 years back.
I am 36 years and I have piercing like pain in anus rectum. It's like something is there which is irritating the skin. I did deworming last month as I felt worms biting and this piercing pain starter after deworming.
Hi My daughter is 80 days old and she has continuous diarrhea from 2 days. Doc suggest to give prepro powder but still no use. She use to go after having milk. Please suggest Wat to do next for immediate solution.
Indigestion refers to the discomfort in your upper belly or abdomen after you have eaten your food. Indigestion in many cases has an underlying problem like gastro esophageal reflux disease, ulcers or disorders of your gall bladder. Indigestion is also known as dyspepsia in medical terms.
The causes of indigestion due to the presence of any diseases or underlying medical conditions consist of the following:
1. Problems like ulcers
2. In rare cases it could be initial symptoms of stomach cancer
3. Chronic pancreatitis
4. Thyroid disease
5. Infections in your stomach and irritable bowel syndrome
6. Pregnancy could also result in indigestion
Some of the lifestyle habits that can cause indigestion are mentioned below:
1. Excessive consumption of alcohol
2. Smoking cigarettes
3. Stress and fatigue in daily life
4. Consumption of foods with high fat content
5. Regular and excessive intake of fried and oily foods
Medications can also cause indigestion and some of those could be:
1. Steroid medications
2. Thyroid medicines
3. Certain of antibiotics in heavy doses
4. Oral contraceptives and estrogen replacement medications
5. Non steroidal anti inflammatory drugs like ibuprofen and naproxen
Sometimes indigestion may not be related to the factors mentioned above and yet persist within your body. This type of indigestion is known as functional or non ulcer dyspepsia. You should contact a medical professional immediately if the symptoms of indigestion include some of the following:
1. Back pain
2. Jaw pain
3. Heavy sweating and anxiety
4. Indigestion that lasts longer than one day
5. Severe and sudden pain in the abdomen
6. Problems when you try to swallow food
7. Vomiting or presence of blood in your stool
8. Sudden loss in your weight
9. Skin and eyes turning yellow in color which is a tell tale sign of jaundice
In case your indigestion persists for too long and doesn’t respond to conventional treatment, your doctor might prescribe some of the following tests.
1. Ultra sound tests of your abdomen
2. Blood tests
3. Upper endoscopy
4. Physical examination of your digestive tract and the stomach area
5. Questions by the doctor about what symptoms you may be facing and how they are manifesting within your body