Lybrate.com has a nexus of the most experienced Dentists in India. You will find Dentists with more than 28 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Dentists online in Delhi and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Root Canal Treatment
Teeth Cleaning Procedure
Teeth Whitening Procedure
Chronic Skin Allergy Treatment
Tooth Extraction Procedure
Dental Extractions Procedure
Skin Rash Treatment
Gap Closing (Dental) Treatment
Artificial Teeth Treatment
Treatment of Root Canal Treatment (RCT)
Wisdom Tooth Removal Procedure
Teeth Scaling & Polishing
Braces Treatment for Adults and Teens
Teeth Cleaning (Scaling) Procedure
Submit a review for Dr. Ashok KumarYour feedback matters!
Sir, I am suffering from the pain of my teeth since last one week. Many type of medicine I have already used but I have no relief from the pain please give good advise.
Hi, I am 38 yrs old, male and I have a pain in my left gum (mouth) for last 1 months. What should I do.
This 30 second process will leave you with a cleaner mouth overnight. .
Their is soo much pain in my teeth and gums, basically pain is in thw root of teeeth in gum area after I scrath there by a key, the pain is unbearable, please suggest me somd mild pain killer.
Dental braces have become more common nowadays. In fact, nearly 4 million people in the United States are wearing braces at any one time, according to the Pennsylvania Dental Association. While dental braces used to be all metal, you will find many different types of braces today.
Discovering the Different Types of Braces
If you’re considering braces for yourself or your child, you have many options. Your orthodontist will help you make the best choice for your scenario, but here are the basics of each type.
- Traditional metal braces are made of the stainless steel brackets and wires that inspired the term “metal mouth” years ago. Fortunately today’s metal braces are noticeably smaller. And new heat-activated arch wires move your teeth more quickly and less painfully as they respond to your body’s heat.
- Ceramic braces mock metal braces in shape and size but they use tooth-colored or clear ceramic brackets that blend more naturally into your teeth. Some even use tooth-colored wires to keep your treatment even lower profile.
- Lingual braces use the same metal brackets and wires used in traditional braces, but the brackets and wires are installed on the inside of your teeth to keep them hidden.
- Invisalign consists of a series of customized, clear BPA-free plastic tray aligners that are removable and typically replaced every 2 weeks to keep your teeth moving in the desired direction.
Other braces may involve the use of nickel-titanium or copper-titanium for the wires and brackets. These metals may last longer and require fewer adjustments than stainless steel wires.
Most dental braces also involve the use of tiny rubber bands to help move your teeth. If you have any sensitivity to latex or certain metals, your orthodontist can help find a suitable alternative for you.
Assessing the Pros and Cons of the Different Types of Braces
So let’s take a look at the advantages and disadvantages of each type.
Allows kids expression
through colored bands
Limit you from eating hard
and stick foods
Less noticeable than
Most effective, like metal
More costly than metal
May stain more easilty
Invisible from outside
Harder to clean
More costly than other types
May be more uncomfortable
Less effective for severe cases
Routine adjustments take longer
than metal or ceramic braces
Allow you to eat and drink
Only available for teens and adults
Less effective for severe cases
May be more costly than others
Treatment may take longer
Require brushing teeth after eating
to prevent staining
Treatments with both braces and Invisalign typically involve some use of retainers or mouth guards afterwards to maintain the new position of your teeth.
Kids should be evaluated for orthodontics by age 7, according to the Indian Orthodontic Society. By this age, your orthodontist can detect even subtle issues with jaw growth and emerging teeth.
While most kids begin treatment between ages 9 and 14, your orthodontist will help determine whether it’s best to wait or begin treatment right away. Many orthodontists recommend treatment while your child is still growing because it can take longer and be more intensive to treat teeth after they’ve stopped growing.
Lastly, kids who receive early orthodontic treatments (like appliances to correct cleft palates) may still need braces later. But the early treatment attempts to prevent further issues from developing while providing a healthier environment for the growth of permanent teeth.
Keep in mind that while some dentists perform orthodontics, an orthodontist specializes in treatments like braces and Invisalign, having 2 or 3 more years of education and training than is required for a dentist.
I had pretty clean teeth but within last few years it's getting yellower and yellower and especially molars, I am scared that it would eventually rot and give me lot of troubles is there anything I can do for that like cleaning or something?
" Candida infection" My tongue is under the attack of some yeasty fungus which causes the above mentioned disease. Kindly suggest me some medicines and remedies to cure this disease. Please doctors.
When I eat something, it pains after first bite. Iya bleed when I brush. I chewing tobacco. There are gaps between my teeth. Pls advise.
I have pain in my upper teeth from last 3 weeks. Doctor suggest me going for root canal. What can I do please suggest me
Hi, I have a habbit of taking honey with warm water early in the morning. Can I continue this after oil pulling. Can I do oil pulling with sesame oil or should I do only with coco nut oil.
Hi Fecal Bad Breath, started in highschool. Now, 22 in last years of College. Been suffering for about 7 yrs. Took a lot of antibiotics during preteen and teen yrs. I Was treated for Hpylori and Acid Reflux in late teens but didn’t help with Fecal Bad Breath. My Fecal BB can fill up a room. The who farted comments, the it smells like shit, people opening windows, covering noses etc. I however never had Nasal BB or Body odor, it was only Fecal BB when I talked. I have pretty much spent the last years of my life not talking to people other than family. School has been very tough but I’m proud of myself for hanging in there. Nothing helped- I have tried it all- three, Therabreath, Tri oral, chlorophyll, etc You name it – I have tried it. My room is like a mini pharmacy. I have been treated for acid reflux, hpylori, and nothing helped. Other symptoms – Constant bloating and cramps, IBS – Heartburn, bad skin, burning sensation in stomach, white tongue and always a sore throat.
A generation ago, we would not see so many adolescents with braces as we do currently. Orthodontics, the branch of dentistry involved in the use of braces to align and move teeth to form that perfect arch, has seen rapid advancements in the past few decades and continues to grow at a rapid pace.
The fundamental principle is that the teeth is held in place by surrounding elastic tissues, and minor constant forces can be applied to align them better. Small metal brackets are applied on the teeth and a wire is passed through them so that there is a constant force on the teeth. The amount and direction of force is managed by the doctor. The younger the age, the more elastic the tissue is, the easier it is to move teeth.
There are two main things to understand in terms of your options, relation of age with orthodontic treatment and the choices of braces.
Firstly, correlation with age. Over the years, more people in their 20s and early 30s are choosing to have braces. Though the teeth and more importantly the surrounding periodontium become less elastic with age, the amount of force exerted is increased and therefore tooth movement is enabled. Also, in older patients, tooth removal may be required more frequently to make space for proper alignment.
Secondly, the choices of the braces:
- In the earlier days, bands were placed around the teeth and a wire was then connecting all these bands to enable tooth movement. Gradually, this made way to small brackets being placed on the front surface of the teeth, and a wire running through it and elastic bands connecting the bracket and the wire. This is the most effective way of moving teeth, though not esthetic. To make it look different, the ligatures could be colored.
- For people who are constantly in the public eye, the metal braces were a deterrent and so lingual braces became popular. The brackets are applied on the inner surface of the teeth and are not seen easily. The amount of force here varies from the earlier one, and not all conditions can be treated by this method.
- The next development was the development of ceramic braces, which are also applied to the front surface of the teeth and can be used in most cases. These are more expensive than the metallic braces.
- Removable aligners is another option, which are trays which need to be worn for close to 18 hours a day to induce tooth movement. This is esthetic and no metal shows during talking or smiling.
So, if you want to improve your smile, visit your dentist and find out how!