Lybrate.com has top trusted Ophthalmologists from across India. You will find Ophthalmologists with more than 41 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Ophthalmologists online in Delhi and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. Ashish K. Ahuja
Treatment of Squint
Lasik Surgery Treatment
Routine Eye Checkup
Laser Cataract Surgery
Reduced Vision Treatment
Visual Field Testing
Retina And Lasik Surgery
Endoscopic Dcr Procedure
Eye Muscle Surgeries
Artificial Eye Procedures
Submit a review for Dr. Ashish K. AhujaYour feedback matters!
I am 23 year old man. I am continuously loosing my eyesight. How to regain my lost eyesight. My eyes looks pale and reddish.
My hed is paining from last twenty days and I am not able to sleep well sometimes and sometimes eyes are ger reddark.
I sometimes feel acute pain in my head at the sides and at back. My eyesight is not weak. I am not able to study properly. What can be the reason?
I have pain on my left eye since 2 days intermittently. But it is high and more frequent today. When I exposed to sunlight watering from eye. Please help.
I have red eyes over 2 days, no pain or irrigation but simply looks like reddish. But I don't sleep last night.
Sir, I'm using specs for past 10 years and want to get rid of them. Vision is constant for more than 2 yrs. Age 32. Spec no -2.5 Left & -2.25 right please advise some treatment and it's approx cost.
My father is 82yrs, he doesn't have any sign of diabetes but with blood test it's showing 236 without eating and 370 after food. He has to go for eye surgery. What to do?
Night blindness is also called nyctalopia.It's a type of vision impairment. People with night blindness experience poor vision at night or in dimly lit environments. It is not a disease in itself, but rather a symptom of an underlying problem, usually a retina problem.
What Causes Night Blindness?
A number of eye conditions can cause night blindness, including:
- Nearsightedness or blurred vision when looking at faraway objects.
- Cataracts or clouding of the eye's lens.
- Retinitis pigmentosa, which occurs when dark pigment collects in your retina and creates tunnel vision.
- Vitamin A Deficiency
- Zinc Deficiency
- Dry Eyes
Are the Symptoms of Night Blindness?
The sole symptom of night blindness is difficulty seeing in the dark. You're more likely to experience night blindness when your eyes transition from a bright environment to an area of low light, such as when you leave a sunny sidewalk to enter a dimly lit restaurant. You're likely to experience poor vision when driving due to the intermittent brightness of headlights and streetlights on the road.
How can I Prevent Night Blindness?
You can't prevent night blindness that's the result of birth defects or genetic conditions, such as Usher syndrome. You can, however, properly monitor your blood sugar level and eat a balanced diet to make night blindness less likely.
Orange colored foods are excellent sources of vitamin A, including:
- Sweet potatoes
- Butternut squash
What are the Treatment Options for Night Blindness?
The treatment will depend on its causes.
- Nutrient deficiency (Vitamin A and Zinc) is the easiest to treat.
- If the cause is cataract, you can go for cataract surgery to remove the clouded lens and replace it with artificial intraocular lens. Vision is usually dramatically improved after surgery.
- For dry eye syndrome, lubricate your eyes with artificial tear drops as they provide instant relief. Just make sure that they are without preservatives.
- Diabetic retinopathy can be prevented with tight control over blood sugar, active lifestyle and good dietary habits.
- As for retinitis pigmentosa, unfortunately there are no treatments available. Thankfully, new research is showing that vitamin A might have a slowing effect on the progression of this eye disease. Consult an Expert & get answers to your questions!