Lybrate.com has a nexus of the most experienced Audiologists in India. You will find Audiologists with more than 27 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Audiologists online in Delhi and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Submit a review for Dr. Amit SinhaYour feedback matters!
Hearing is one of the five senses that you or anyone else relies on for communication and a whole host of other things. Among the five senses, touch, smell, taste, hearing and sight, it is often hearing, which is the most easily affected. You don't have to be a senior citizen to experience hearing loss as it is quite common among younger people as well. This problem is also getting widespread with each passing day.
Before coping with hearing loss, the first job is to detect it:
If you have a hunch that you or any of your loved ones is suffering from hearing loss, it is important that you get it diagnosed. Some of the common symptoms of hearing loss will be:
- Hearing difficulties while talking to someone over the phone
- Straining to hear conversations with family members or friends in household situations
- People usually need to repeat what they talk to you with a louder voice
- You often hear complaints that you keep the TV too loud.
- In crowded situations, such as family gatherings or a restaurant, you have problems listening to people.
Although this condition tends to affect senior citizens, an increasing trend shows younger people i.e. people mostly in their 40 and 50s and even younger than that suffer from this condition.
How to deal with hearing loss?
Some of the options to deal with hearing loss are mentioned below.
- Once diagnosed with hearing problems, change your ways of communication: If you or your loved ones have been diagnosed with hearing problems, it is important that both adjust your ways to deal with the problem. Rather than getting angry at the other for not being able to communicate effectively, develop and strategize ways to make communication less problematic and erratic.
- Cochlear implants: This is a newer technology, which has gained popularity in the past decade or so. These are directly implanted into the inner ear and are designed to bypass the damaged areas of the ear and directly stimulate the auditory nerve. These have become very popular, although, are not a replacement of natural hearing. It is only prescribed for people who have severe hearing loss or are deaf.
- Hearing aids: Although selecting a hearing aid is difficult as the patient needs to be comfortable, once selected it is one of the best solutions for the hearing impaired. The functionality of these devices can be extended with the hearing assistive technology or HAT devices that can focus the audio waves depending on the situations and give a more tailored approach for every individual's needs. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a Ent specialist.
Hi. I have tinnitus problem in both ears recently. It increased in the right ear. Audiogram suggests mild conductive hearing loss n I was told that tinnitus is not due to hearing issues. Then wht else causes these sounds and sometimes it gets very annoying. Thanks.
I am a 37 years old male, and nowadays I am hearing a hissing sound / ringing sensation in my ears since the last few weeks. This sensation becomes more prominent at some times and less at others. I would also like to mention that my nose is blocked during each night and I have to use Otrivin spray to decongest it. Please advise.
Dr. Sir, I suffer from profound Hearing loss. I am Male 68 yrs, Veg, 74 Kgs, Non Smoker. My Doctor advised me to take "High Res CT Scan Temporal Bone (Bilateral) Does this give only the cause/source for Hearing loss OR does it give any other problems (not related to Hearing) also. OR can we include some other tests also, to check if there are any other problems. Please clarify.
Hi doctor I am having problem with my voice. I am 19 when I speak to someone over the phone or in person, I always hear them saying" what" can you speak again". May be thats because my voice is not loud enough and clear. Also when I hang out with my friends as we laugh out loud so much, gossip so much, then at the end of day my throat feels like coughing. Is there any yoga/ exercise/ food to make it correct?
Sir my right ear is blocked internally. Ear drum is ok. No problem in hearing. Not any pain. Not any fluid leakage from ear. And was under treatment of ent doctor for last two months. I am doing exercise daily by blocking nose and filled air in cheeks. I had also taken several type of anti allergic medicines prescribed by ent but no relief. Please guide me.
I am 20 years old and have hear problem. We face a problem to less hear in my head. Although its not a hair fall but less hair is my problem.
Hi I am 50. Two months back I was diagnosed with acoustic neuromma and I underwent cyber knife treatment. I feel complete deafness in the affected area and headache also usually at night. Is this any side effect psot treatment? how long will it take to recover?
I am 24 years old n I have hearing problem sshl so doctor suggests me too have hearing aid. Instead of hearing aid is any other way too cure hearing loss prevention by medicine please help me.
Dear doctor, I have a problem with hearing. Every time I am asking for second time about what they said. Do I have hearing loss? Or is it a concentration problem?
I am 22 years old girl and I am facing the problem of low hearing problem. Suggest some home remedy or something else.
I have 60% hearing loss, due to Auditory Nerve weakness, please let me know if it can be cured or if the rate of weakness could be slow down. I am taking Ginkgo biloba tablets, and my ENT Doc said this hearing loss can not be cured, Never.
I have tinnitus and loss of hearing in right ear, I read at one place on internet that there is some medicine for this in homeopathy. Can any one help me in this regard
My father has an inherited problem in his ears. And his hearing power is declining by time. Is it curable?
I feeling like less hearing Cn you suggest best wid out using machine, bcoz I m scare of using machine so I hvnt consult doctor.
How to help old people who thinks about things that happened and say they hear sounds which cannot be heard by us whether there is any possibility of this treated. Her age is 82 years kindly help?
Hearing loss is experienced by millions of people these days. Ageing is not the only factor that brings hearing impairment. The causes are many. Certain medications, continuous exposure to loud noise, genetic involvement, injury and some medical conditions may cause hearing loss.
There are quite a few myths that people have come to believe about hearing loss over the years. Since it is such a common phenomenon, here we take a look at the common myths surrounding hearing loss.
Myth no. 1: Hearing loss is exclusive to elderly.
Fact: As said before, hearing loss can be an outcome of various causes. Nearly half of the people suffering from the same are below the age of 55 years. No matter what your age is, you must always get your ears checked, especially if you are feeling that are you missing things.
Myth no. 2: Diagnosing hearing loss is easy.
Fact: Most people do not come to know about the condition until it gets worse. Also, your physician never really checks for hearing loss symptoms in a general check-up unless you ask for it specifically.
So, always get a check-up done, like you do for other probable diseases.
Myth no. 3: There's no effective solution for hearing loss.
Fact: Like there have been advancements in the medical field for everything else, there are aids available these days that improve your hearing and have finer adjustments for noise adaptation. Also, there are certain other procedures and surgeries that have proved to improve the condition in many.
So, seek help as soon as possible.
Myth no. 4: The sounds aren't loud enough; my ears are healthy and fine.
Fact: If there is a problem you're experiencing with hearing, you have got to accept that and get it treated. Avoiding a certain condition will only get things worse for you.
Also, hearing aids are no more a stigma. Ear aid devices have designs similar to earphones these days, which are comfortable enough to wear. Ignoring a medical condition or inability to accept the same would only do more harm instead of making things fine. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a Ent Specialist.
I am suffering from communication problem I have minimal hearing loss audiologist says it is in normal range but I am not satisfied with there answer I makes depressive and frustrated every time it affect my communication skill then I start to ignore conversation with family, friends and with other sir I have hearing loss level only 20db in right and 22db in left ear my voice become worse sir I wants to become a good businessman but social stress and bad conversation makes my mind weak and my face only one expression for any situation it makes me to forget the difference between yes or no I am not able to say properly to people what I wants form them and what is like and dislike of me I wants to makes my family happy but it is not possible for me in this time but before this problem I was the vary good comedian in school and in home every one wants to be friend but in this time the situation is totally changed lack of conversation makes me unknown and frustrating person in every time in home and collage no one lesion what I say because I talks to loudly I hear my own voice loudly sir it is the stage where I have to makes myself what I want but this problem always push me back to poor condition I always cary in alone but in public I try to be strong how I become a top business man if I have did not understand what people says in front of me you loose my interest in all activity some time situation become so critical like a sico person I behave no one like my style to face the problem life become hell for me I want to use hearing aid because I wants gain my sharp minded and always happy in every situation type personality once again please tell me the advantage and disadvantage of hearing aid please do not tell me to go an ENT specialist and audiologist because I already try this I takes medicine and clean my ear wax by ENT specialist but no difference occur ENT specialist says if facing problem in conversation in collage with friend and in family and other if it affect the relation then you have to go for hearing aid trial but I wants to know from you is it good idea to use hearing aid.
The partial or total inability to hear is known as hearing impairment or hearing loss. It can be present at birth, or develop later in life.
There are a number of factors, which may cause hearing loss
1. Age - Age is the biggest factor when it comes to the loss of hearing, and you may lose the ability to hear as you age. This condition is known as presbycusis. It becomes difficult to understand high-frequency sounds like that of a child or a woman when you get old.
2. Noise - When you are exposed to loud noises for a prolonged period of time, it damages your ears. This leads to loss of hearing. 5% of the total population of the world is affected by noise (the degree of suffering varies). It may be a result of continuous exposure to loud music or a sudden exposure to a loud noise like an explosion.
3. Hereditary disorders - Hearing disorder may be inherited by the dominant or recessive genes of parents in the child. 70-80% of these cases inherit from the recessive genes, whereas 20-25% inherit hearing loss from the dominant genes.
4. Trauma - Serious injuries of the head/ears may cause loss of hearing, which may be either temporary or permanent. When damage is caused to the brain, the brain fails to process the message conveyed by the ears. So even if the ears are totally functional, a person may face the problem in hearing.
5. Perinatal problems - The ototoxic effects on the fetus due to excess intake of alcohol during pregnancy lead to hearing the loss in about 64% of the infants born to alcoholic mothers.
Also, premature birth can be associated with hearing loss due to high risk of being exposed to noise in neonatal units.
Knowing about the causes of hearing loss can lead you a step closer to preventing this disorder as you age.
Here are some useful tips that can help prevent hearing loss:
1. Be more aware - You should be diligent and aware of the situations, which may risk your hearing ability and should try to avoid such situations as much as possible. Limit your exposure to sources of hazardous noises like firearms, firecrackers, concerts and clubs.
2. Take precautionary measures - If your occupation calls for working at an environment of loud noises, use earplugs or earmuffs to block out the excessive noise. Also, make sure that you work in a place where employers take all the necessary measures of noise control under the federal or state regulations.
3. Monitor your use of gadgets - Monitor and control the use of hearing devices, and try to reduce the use of headphones/ earphones as much as possible.
Related Tip: Why Do You Get an EAR Discharge?